Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

are games getting easier?

Old 09-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,253 Posts
are games getting easier?

I gotta agree with this..... people are just too prone to make sure they do a game save, or get enough lives, or enter cheat codes these days.... I think it all really started with "God mode" in Doom, lol..... then of course there was the "30 lives" in Contra... that was a goodie too. I just remember playing in the arcade when I was a kid, the games were so hard and the really good ones were so expensive - you would put in 75 cents for like, not even 5 minutes of play. It was so mind-wracking but it kept you coming back for more because the game was so sweet. Now, we can play all these games using emulators, and they've lost that youthful magic.

Another thing is with games like GT4 - sure the license tests are hard - I mean, if I wanted to get gold on all of them - yeah I'd be playing the game for months and months... BUT - you can get away with getting bronze..... and therein lies the "watered-down" experience.... you don't HAVE to get gold, to progress in the game. Of course priorities change, and honestly at this point, I think I would be complaining more and frustrated if it was like that - so I dunno.

http://www.tomshardware.com/game/20050902/index.html

Are Games Getting Easier?

Introduction

When the gaming phenomenon really got going in the 1980's, it existed virtually exclusively in arcades. Back then, games were built around a couple of key concepts: they were fun, addictive - and nearly impossible to master. Games like Pac-Man have a seemingly infinite number of levels, and even the best of the best can lose while just barely scratching the surface of the game.

But as games have become more complex, game designers have started wanting everyone who plays their games to get to see everything they put into it. This in turn has resulted in a generation of games that are easier to conquer. In spite of the rapid growth in technology and the ability to make games more intricate, game have become fundamentally less challenging than they were 20 years ago.

This is a trend that has been increasing slowly but constantly since the arcade days. The birth of the home consoles of the 1990's saw some very difficult games, but trends like frequent checkpoints and save points gradually became commonplace. And now, as we delve deeper into the 21st Century, the level of skill needed to complete a game seems to continue to decline.

There are a few fundamental concepts that really underscore this trend. The ominous feeling once associated with seeing "game over" has diminished, due to save games and other conveniences. Instead of complex puzzle solving, strategic elements are now more like connect the dots. Final bosses have become weaker. All of these, along with a couple other factors, really define the degradation of difficulty in gaming. I've taken a look at these elements and will discuss some specific examples. However, I also realize that change is sometimes vital, so I've also detailed what could be done to lessen the leniency provided by so many different games, without completely reverting back to "old school".

Game Over?

There was once a time when, if you saw the words "game over" on your screen, you would be grief stricken because that meant the game was in fact actually over - to play the game again, you would have to start over. This applied to racing games like Pole Position, older arcade titles like Space Invaders, and even early platform games like Sonic the Hedgehog. But now, game over is just a formality that sends you back to your last checkpoint without penalty. Furthermore, it's become common to exploit the leniency of a "game over" sentence. For example, you can easily save your game at a checkpoint and then go to a boss battle just to see if you're ready. You have nothing to lose because if you're defeated, you just go right back to the checkpoint. This almost completely eliminates the necessity of being prepared throughout the entire game.

But the problem goes so much deeper than that. With the definition of "game over" being so lax now, victories are not as rewarding for gamers as they once were. If you ever played the original Mario Bros, you'll remember how great it felt to beat the game after having to start over numerous times; you rarely get that sense of satisfaction from beating a game in this generation. I've had Super Mario Bros for about 12 years and every time I pass that final Bowser stage, I still get a great sense of satisfaction. In contrast, when I conquer a game from this era, I just feel relieved that it's over. I rarely get the feeling anymore that I won because of hard work and determination.

Of course, with games that now last over 80 hours, sending a player back to the beginning for an error 75 hours into the game is unreasonable. But that alone should not mean the death of "game over" as an ominous term. Some games have already set the example for how to balance fairness and challenge. For example, the Pokemon RPG series makes you lose half of your money if you are defeated in battle, before sending you back to your last save point. More RPGs should implement similar consequences. Or, for the less epic games, the idea of a limited number of continues (as demonstrated early on with Mario Bros) is another good idea. Of course, there need to be strict limits on these continues. They should be tough to get, and should make you have to think twice before entering a situation where you lose one. But the more common concept of having virtually no punishment for meeting your demise in a game is just ludicrous.

"Game over" is quite possibly the most well-known gaming term ever created, and it once had an extremely notorious connotation. It's a shame that such a concept with deeply planted roots now means virtually nothing. While we'll probably never again see the day where games make you start over after losing once, there should still be penalties for making mistakes in games. It's one of the most prominent examples of how games are getting easier, and there needs to be a shift back to the stricter side if we want games to continue to challenge us.

Not Exactly Rocket Science Anymore

Before the world of online walkthroughs, companies dedicated to strategy guides, and game cheating devices like the GameShark, there were plenty of games that were not only a ton of fun but really pushed your intellectual skills to the limit. And I'm not just talking about Donkey Kong, Jr. Math here. Some of the earliest computer games, like The Secret of Monkey Island, relied heavily on your ability to puzzle-solve and determine what you need to do next with very little in-game help.

But now, we're in a world where we have robotic vacuum cleaners, "smart" washers and dryers, and GPS systems that tell you every turn you need to make on the road. We've become a society where, outside of our jobs, we want to exert as little effort as possible and give our brains a rest. The gaming culture has shamelessly shifted to accommodate that lifestyle as well. Even games that still revolve around puzzle solving have been reduced to something you'd find in a 3rd grader's adventure book. Furthermore, these games often have an insane number of in-game clues and tips to help you solve these rather elementary challenges.

A good example of this is the Legend of Zelda series. When it was first introduced in 1987, it was heralded for its addictive but challenging tasks. But the latest entry in the series for a home console platform, Four Swords Adventure, has nothing but simple, mundane challenges that are just tedious and not thought provoking at all.

There are a number of factors that have contributed to this change. We've got a new generation of kids who, really for the first time, are growing up with gaming. They're an expanding demographic and games need to accommodate them; having too many games that are overly complex could deter them from gaming altogether. Secondly, the advent of the strategy guide craze probably discourages the developers from making any puzzle too mind-boggling, because gamers will just look up the solution. Finally, the development process of a video game has changed dramatically. It has become much more oriented around special effects, smooth 3D animations, and stunning visuals. There's not as much time to spend on intriguing puzzles, as they are not considered as important. With much more space to work with, games can easily rely on other attributes to make them worthwhile, much more easily that was the case 10 or 20 years ago.

This shift in emphasis - from how the game plays, to how the game looks - is a huge threat to the entire gaming industry. We need a healthy number of games that still stimulate gamers intellectually. We need those challenges that leave us ripping out our hair trying to figure out what to do. Again, it all comes down to the reward factor. Solving a puzzle that would have left Einstein in the dark, like those early 1990's games, is so much more satisfying than, say, figuring out in which order to push blocks that are labeled 1, 2, and 3. There are certainly many of us who want gaming to again be a truly cerebral activity, and integrating some great mind-boggling puzzles back into games is a step in that direction.

The Final Boss Is More Than Just Another Foe

The "final boss" refers to the enemy you must conquer at the end of the game to win; it is a figure that appears in games of virtually all genres: action, adventure, first-person shooter, fighting, RPG, and more. This is yet another term that has had a constantly evolving connotation.

In the early days of really structured games, when the NES and Sega Genesis were in full swing, the final boss was really something about which to be worried. It wasn't a true final boss if you didn't die at least once trying to defeat it. On top of being physically tough, a final boss usually pitted you in a setting unlike anything else previously seen in the game, and required you to use a new game play mechanic to defeat it. For example, there's Super Mario Land for the Game Boy, which has a monstrous final boss that requires minutes of continuous shooting from Mario in an aircraft vehicle that you barely get a chance to get used to, all the while dodging the boss's constant attacks. Now that's a final boss.

However, to come across such an enemy in games today is quite a rare occurrence. The final boss has become much less intimidating, and for most games, is now just treated as another regular enemy; there's not much difference between the final boss and the second-to-last boss. On top of that, final bosses have just simply become easier to defeat in more recent games. There used to be a time where you had to be perfect in the final fight; one hit from the enemy and you'd be out - Sonic 2 comes to mind. But in games today, you can make several flubs and still have no problem defeating the boss.

I would love to once more start seeing games that push you to your limits in the final fight of the game. Those who have just gotten into the gaming world in the last 5 years or so have experienced almost nothing but these predictable, relatively easygoing games. We need to start giving these players some real challenges, otherwise the future generations of gamers will be weaker and the gaming culture as we know it will change dramatically.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good find. I agree with the article but not really to the extent that the author seems to be conveying. Personally, I think it's mostly a cobination of game publishers wanting to make sure the player sees every part of the game as well as the overall shorter and shorter attention spans everyone seems to be getting.

To some degree I think this has to do with the increasing popularity of consoles. From my limited exposure to consoles it seems that a substantial majority of titles are based around the "unlock" concept instead of simple linear progression. When you structure a title like this, I think it's only natural that you design in some slack so that players can experience the other pieces of the game. As for myself, I only play racing sims and FPS's on the PC so I probably don't run across the "too easy" syndrome all that much.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:34 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

I still cant get anywhere in HALO 2 in the hardest level. So i guess its for some games. I get frustrated even!!! hahahaha
Old 09-05-2005, 02:50 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
I bet these guys have never played shmups(shoot'em up)before. Try Ikaruga, Gradius V, Dodonpachi DOJ and Mushihime Sama and you will see the game over screen in every 2 minutes.

Ah, never mind. They play American games only, probably never heard any of those games I just mentioned.

MSZ, remains as the only AZ member who cares about shmups.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Who am I?

Originally Posted by MSZ
I bet these guys have never played shmups(shoot'em up)before. Try Ikaruga, Gradius V, Dodonpachi DOJ and Mushihime Sama and you will see the game over screen in every 2 minutes.

Ah, never mind. They play American games only, probably never heard any of those games I just mentioned.

MSZ, remains as the only AZ member who cares about shmups.
not the only one. i like top down > side scrollers. best times are when the last boss has absolutely no pattern at all, and all those bullets just cover the screen. pure gaming euphoria
Old 09-05-2005, 05:35 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Fuck yes...this is what gaming all about:

I have been playing Mushihimesama for weeks now, gotta love these crazy Cave shmups.

But I am still a huge Gradius fan:

Gradius V rocks.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Man I remember Gradius on the NES and how I used to play it so much, that and 1942/43. Now I trying to past the second level of Ikaruga, man its so freakin hard. Anyways, with games being so easy is getting annoying. I bought Batman Begins for Cube and that game was beaten in hours, but it was fun tho. The longest game I played for cube was Resident Evil 4 and that was worth the 25 hours trying to beat it. Well, back in the days, when playing a game on the NES, there were no save points, you had to beat the game in one sit down, much like Ninja Gaiden, took forever.

Ikaruga:

Old 09-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
I gotta agree with this..... people are just too prone to make sure they do a game save, or get enough lives, or enter cheat codes these days.... I think it all really started with "God mode" in Doom, lol..... then of course there was the "30 lives" in Contra... that was a goodie too. I just remember playing in the arcade when I was a kid, the games were so hard and the really good ones were so expensive - you would put in 75 cents for like, not even 5 minutes of play. It was so mind-wracking but it kept you coming back for more because the game was so sweet. Now, we can play all these games using emulators, and they've lost that youthful magic.

Another thing is with games like GT4 - sure the license tests are hard - I mean, if I wanted to get gold on all of them - yeah I'd be playing the game for months and months... BUT - you can get away with getting bronze..... and therein lies the "watered-down" experience.... you don't HAVE to get gold, to progress in the game. Of course priorities change, and honestly at this point, I think I would be complaining more and frustrated if it was like that - so I dunno.

http://www.tomshardware.com/game/20050902/index.html
I agree to some extent, one reason may be because in the older games, you HAD to leave the system on, or you would lose all your progress. I remember many nights we left our NES on so we wouldn't have to start over. You broght me back with the contra code, also applied to life force as well.

I remember I got so good at contra that I didn't even need the code to beat it and I never had to continue. ahhhh those were the days....
Old 09-07-2005, 03:30 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super R type is damn near impossible.

Aero Fighters was fucking hard too.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Drifting

must remember, we aren't 10 years old anymore. we too are getting better at these video games
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
That's Racist

Nope. PLayed super R type last week. that shit is impossible.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by slayer202
must remember, we aren't 10 years old anymore. we too are getting better at these video games
good point
Old 09-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Depends on the game...

Try playing Hearts of Iron 2 or perhaps Silent Hunter 3..
Old 09-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Games that have stories have to be beatable.

Games that have no stories, play forever.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Try Contra: Shattered Soldier if you folks want hard. You'll scream Mommy by stage 2.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:46 AM
im back

up down up down left right left right b-a start (select-start if you have 2 players)
Old 09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by doopstr
Games that have stories have to be beatable.

Games that have no stories, play forever.
Well, I dunno. Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox has a story and if you play it on Hard and Extra Hard, it's has the tendency to make me lie on the floor and curl up in a fetal position.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try "The End" in Metal Gear Solid, then tell me if games are getting easier.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bigman
Try "The End" in Metal Gear Solid, then tell me if games are getting easier.
I found him okay.

Nothing too difficult and he actually made some of the boss fights in Ninja Gaiden (for Xbox) seem like a cakewalk IMHO.

But, I still stand by the fact that Contra: Shattered Soldier is the hardest app I've played since the 8bit days...
Old 09-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I think the response to this question is intimately linked with your personal reasons for playing games. Some people play games because they view them as challenges to be conquered. Personally, I play games to be entertained by them. The challenges offerred by games can be entertainment unto themselves but I think the degree of this varies a lot from person to person. If I get to a point in a game where I'm stuck, I have no qualms about cheating after a dozen or so attempts to get past the obstical. Anything beyond that, and I start getting pissed. I do not purchase games to get mad at them. I purchase games for them to give me some entertainment.

FYI - I only play single player games. I would not cheat in an online game unless the server is explicitly noted as a free-for-all with cheats allowed.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

So, for those of you people thinking games are too easy, well, there's some old-skoo beat-you-to-a-pulp gaming coming down the pipes for the PSP!

=============

TGS 2005: Extreme Ghouls 'N Ghosts

Whether it's the hair-raising frights or the hair-yanking challenge, you'll be glad to go bald from this game.

by Nix
September 16, 2005 - Capcom is teaching the PSP how it's done in the old-school style with four PSP games this year. It's bringing back two classic Street Fighter Alpha 3 (in traditional sprite 2D), two Mega Man classics (with a polygonal make-over), and best of all, a triumphant new entry in Capcom's favored Ghouls 'N Ghosts franchise.

The PSP game retains the classic design of the series, complete with side-scrolling action on a 2D plane. The visuals are made entirely out of polygons, however, and the game is better for it. Animation tends to be smoother, and the backgrounds are more active. There were some aspects kept to make the game feel right for longtime fans -- Arthur is given more detail, but still strides in lurching 2-frame animation steps rather than smooth polygonal motion, and he'll fall apart into a pile of bones when he dies. Little comic touches include Arthur being turned into either a chicken or a frog when he falls into a cauldron, hopping about the stage like wild (under your control, as you avoid the enemies on the screen) until the magic wears off. The framerate is perfectly smooth (even the 2D games struggled at times), and there seems to be no shortage of enemies and effects on-screen despite the upgrade to more complicated polygonal graphics. Bosses are breathtaking in their enormity and motion, and in one sequence shown of the game, there's a giant spider boss that is basically just a bunch of fierce-looking legs on the screen. Keeping the game to a flat plane has allowed the developers to do some incredible effects in the game, and seeing the eye bleed from the eyeball-ghost-launching obelisk (we hope fans of the series know what we're talking about) is unsettling in so many ways.
It's disappointing that the PSP game doesn't explore the 3D effects more (as in how the PS1 Tomba! Games, by GnG's lead creator for the short while after he left Capcom to work on other projects, went in and out of the world in 2.5D motion), and there was little in the trailer of the game playing at Capcom's booth to show its aspirations besides side-scrolling. Also, if you look really closely (although you'll probably only look this close if you have the game projected on a TV screen instead of the small PSP that it was designed for), you can see some blocky polygons used to make up creatures. Still, the 3D visuals do their job to bring the game to life in ways that traditional means have difficulty with.

In describing the gameplay of this PSP game, we are invariably bound to say the word "hard" so many times that it'd make you sick. So, let's just get this out of the way now: this game is difficult. Arthur now has a lot broader range of motion and some new control techniques, but he's still a doggie chew in the wrong hands. The challenge element of the originals has been transferred over to the modern PSP machine, and no amount of polygons can soften that. Fans wouldn't have it any other way, and new players can take heart that the game at least now has a lot of extra lives (yes, no infinite play-throughs) and hitpoints before Arthur dies to at least give players a chance. We have a feeling that those stocks of hitpoints won't last long in most cases. Yes, we realize that some of you went the entire game through on Genesis, SNES and arcades with only a suit of armor and some heart-spotted underpants, but we're sure this game will be plenty hard even if it is being generous for the new blood.

Arthur in this game has some new moves, including the ability to shoot down with his lance while jumping. He can grab onto ledges to help itself up, and there will be occasional puzzle elements for him to play with (though they will be action-puzzle sequences -- stepping onto a specific headstone may make a platform appear for a short second, for instance.) Arthur also can earn new armor in addition to his standard armor, and this looks to be an enhancement on his weapon instead of just the visual style of the gold armor. When he wore red samurai-style armor, for example, he tossed out a giant boomerang blade that wiped out the screen's enemies, and when he had a purple knight's armor (with a gated faceplate), crossbow shots were three wicked bolts. There are collectible weapons throughout the game, and we were able to toss axes and rain holy water in addition to spearing enemies with the lance. Control curiously only works with the D-Pad, but most familiar with the series wouldn't be reaching for the analog stick in the first place.

Capcom did not allow filming of the gameplay or video reel from Extreme Ghouls 'n Ghosts, but we'll have much more on the game as its release nears.

Source: IGN.com
Old 09-16-2005, 12:15 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

I think we are just getting better at games. Because now that I think about it when I crack out the old Nintendo, all those games i thought were impossible are actually pretty damn easy. Except Ninja Turtle's aka my white whale.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

yea I tried Pitfall on 2600 a few years ago and it was like cake. It used to be so hard, Lol... esp the screen with the 3 gators....
Old 09-16-2005, 01:38 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
Games should be challenging, but not totally frustrating. I was horrible at games like Super Mario Bros. and Contra during the NES days. I never could understood how my younger brother was so good at those games. (I loved how you could steal the other player's life in Contra.) Back in those days, I could never have beaten Big Boss in Metal Gear. So I'm pretty happy that games are much easier today.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Games should be challenging, but not totally frustrating. I was horrible at games like Super Mario Bros. and Contra during the NES days. I never could understood how my younger brother was so good at those games. (I loved how you could steal the other player's life in Contra.) Back in those days, I could never have beaten Big Boss in Metal Gear. So I'm pretty happy that games are much easier today.

A hard ass game, that I never even wanted to beat because it was so frustrating was Battle Toads. That game was F*ckin impossible, even with the Game Genie!!
Old 09-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Pit Stop?

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
A hard ass game, that I never even wanted to beat because it was so frustrating was Battle Toads. That game was F*ckin impossible, even with the Game Genie!!

BattleToads IS impossible. It's documented
Old 09-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Minch00

BattleToads IS impossible. It's documented
That's cuz you suck.

Finished it on the NES back when it came out...

Guess being good at gaming is an Asian thing.