AZiner in Chicago - 100K Tune Up Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 20 Posts
AZiner in Chicago - 100K Tune Up Job

Hey guys - just wondering if there are any Acura techs in the area moonlighting in the Chicago area?

I have a good dealer that I bring my car for complicated work and they're quoting $1,300 for the tune-up. I do trust them, but thought it would be fun if there's anyone in the area that wants to spend a saturday or sunday working on it with me.

If not, anyone with good recommendations for other shops/quotes based on your previous experience?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Have never used them, but they specialize in Honda/Acura and quoted me a very good price for an install of my halfshafts.....

They are certified in both Acura and Honda so I would trust them.

May be a little north for you but right around where I live (currently)

http://www.pitshopgarage.com/contact.html

Edit: Check the specials page...50 dollars off timing belt service!!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucnex
Have never used them, but they specialize in Honda/Acura and quoted me a very good price for an install of my halfshafts.....

They are certified in both Acura and Honda so I would trust them.

May be a little north for you but right around where I live (currently)

http://www.pitshopgarage.com/contact.html

Edit: Check the specials page...50 dollars off timing belt service!!
Dude - thanks for the find. Funny enough, the dealer that I go to is Acura Libertyville. They have a great service department. I deal with Matt there - very good guy.

I learnt that this Drew dude came from that dealership too. Will definitely give him a buzz to see how much he charges. Especially now that I see that there's a timing belt package on Azine. Thanks again man.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 AM

No problem. Let us know how it turns out. I will most likely make a trip over there to get new bushings put in...just dont wanna check and find them cracked, since that equals $$$
Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Instructor

No problem. Let us know how it turns out. I will most likely make a trip over there to get new bushings put in...just dont wanna check and find them cracked, since that equals $$$
$585 for the 100K service not including the pulleys + thermostat parts. Labor free for these items.

Knowledgeable guy. I will bring it to him next week and let you guys know how it went.

As for the bushings, I have a machine shop do my bushings 3 on each LCA. No problem if it's cracked, just really shaky on the highway. Shop charged $50 for 3 bushings per arm ($100 total). Dealer charged - $300 to put in and all. Yes it was a ripped off. This guy will probably do it for you for a lot less. You can probably take the arms out yourself. Just need to bring it in for an alignment afterwards.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Yea only problem is I have no way to bring the arms to the shop haha since its my only car....I have been getting a slight shimmy on acceleration but it seems to have gone away and yea the highway driving is annoying. I am gonna check it out once I install my fogs/new headlights...I think he only charges about $60/hr for labor so it shouldnt be too much to get them done over there. Too bad I just got new tires and paid 100 dollars for an alignment....damnit

The place i brought it too claimed to have "checked everything" on the car so I may just go back to them and complain and make them realign it after this work is done. Ill just tell them my alignment seems off and then when they check it and its not in spec they should readjust it for me.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Amazing!

The car feels amazing after the 100K tune up job at 85K. Turns out a had a leaking water pump that was dumping coolant inside the cover.

New sparks seem to have resolved the CEL flashing when I am in V-TEC for extended period (over 100MPH for too long).

Most importantly of all - I found DREW, the owner and Acura master tech at the Pit Shop in Libertyville. This guy is really a diamond in the rough. He did a fantastic job on the car, took care of it the way I would have, and took pictures of the job to show the new pulleys and tensioners he put on. What an awesome guy in general. Took the time to talk to me and explain a few other issues that I had.

If you guys need a tune-up, then GO TO this guy. Bit of a drive for most folks in the city but he's right by a train stop. So, it's convenient. This guy will be super busy in 6-9 mos given the way he does business. Check out his ratings on Yelp (Pitshopgarage libertyville).

Highly recommended for those tougher jobs that us ziners can't do.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM

I actually leaving in 10 minutes to go over there, glad you posted this!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Instructor

I actually leaving in 10 minutes to go over there, glad you posted this!
How was it? What did you get done? And tell me your impression of Drew.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Went to talk to him about getting those little fawking compliance bushings replaced on my LCA....I think I am also gonna have him install the Type-S FSB since I really do not want to drop my subframe....And he said he would do the 3x3 and pressure switches for about 60 buxs, and since I have no tool with me for the summer I would say its worth it....gonna bring it back in 2 weeks on a Saturday

Hes a really nice guy, we chatted for quite a bit, I actually snapped off my license plate bolt on my trunk and he said he would try and take a stab at it since its going to need to get drilled out.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:30 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hes a really nice guy, we chatted for quite a bit, I actually snapped off my license plate bolt on my trunk and he said he would try and take a stab at it since its going to need to get drilled out.
Hey, I am glad you mentioned this because I snapped the two license plate bolts off as well (assuming it is one of the top bolts you snapped). If he is able to fix it can you let me know. This shop sounds like a good find.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Instructor

This guy is just a nice guy all around. The best thing is that he knows is stuff. I've been looking to do my front axles and maybe suspension and I will be taking it to him for the work.

I was so happy to have found him.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Went to talk to him about getting those little fawking compliance bushings replaced on my LCA....I think I am also gonna have him install the Type-S FSB since I really do not want to drop my subframe....And he said he would do the 3x3 and pressure switches for about 60 buxs, and since I have no tool with me for the summer I would say its worth it....gonna bring it back in 2 weeks on a Saturday

are you doing Redline D4? or the new Honda DW1? You'll notice a big diff man. Have fun. I will be doing my 4th drain and refill when I am back from my road trip.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
585 sounds like a reasonable price for a TB as long as it includes the hydraulic tensioner and is all OEM parts. In my 10+ years working on these cars, only seen Integras and occasional RL/Legend leak from the water pump: never a J series motor.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I just took my car in to the pit shop this weekend and had a great experience. Got my timing belt, water pump, all belts, hydraulic tensioner replaced for $550. The owner and mechanic, Drew was very helpful with answering all my questions and was actually pretty fast. Thx for the heads up about the shop.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by exl124
I just took my car in to the pit shop this weekend and had a great experience. Got my timing belt, water pump, all belts, hydraulic tensioner replaced for $550. The owner and mechanic, Drew was very helpful with answering all my questions and was actually pretty fast. Thx for the heads up about the shop.
Awesome! I built (revamped his website for him :-))

Like them on Facebook and write a nice recommendation on Yelp/Google for him if you don't mind. It'll really help! (copy and paste what you put here except the price).

Thanks man.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Another happy customer from The Pit Shop. I just had my fuel pressure regulator replaced by Drew. He is very knowledgeable and explained to me why it was the regulator that has been giving me hard starts lately. It was a bit of a drive but I definitely recommend him.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome great to know that there is a master mechanic not too far from the city. I will definitely be going to there for work in the near future.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Add me to the list of satisfied PitShop customers. On my '03 TL, Drew replaced the timing belt, PS belt, serp. belt, water pump, hydrolic tensioner, side engine mount, new plugs, flush and fill power steering fluid and a synthetic oil change for $840. Libertyville Acura wanted >$1500 to do the same work. Great guy, great work, great price.