View Poll Results: What kid-hauler do you purchase?
Acura MDX
17.50%
Audi A6 Avant or Allroad
5.00%
BMW X5
5.00%
BMW 525i Sportwagon
7.50%
Infiniti FX35
0%
Land Rover LR3
5.00%
Lexus RX330
7.50%
Mercedes-Benz ML350
0%
Mercedes-Benz E320 Wagon
0%
Porsche Cayenne V6
10.00%
Volkswagen Touareg V6
10.00%
Other
12.50%
Honda Odyssey
20.00%
Toyota Sienna
0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

You've been promoted & kids are on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 11:29 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've been promoted & kids are on the way...

Haven't done one of these in a long while...

Here's the scenario: you've recently landed a promotion and you and your wife are expecting two little ones on the way. Your TSX, while nice, just doesn't suffice anymore. You need a larger vehicle. What do you do?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Toyota Sienna XLE. Having kids and a sedan is hard enough already, an SUV wouldn't be a smart choice. Just getting them in and out of the baby seats is a hassle. With a sedan, the loading height is too low so you bend over awkward and it really strains your back; SUVs and minivans are at the right level, but minivans and their sliding doors are so much easier to work with in parking lots than the conventional doors on an SUV. Not to mention the opening is wider for easier access because most SUVs have the cutout in the rear doors to accomodate the rear wheel well.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:05 AM
101 years of heartache...

I have done plenty of research on this topic. Now I myself would go for either the FX35 or RX330. However, the best Kid hauler out of these is the MDX. However I do agree, the Sienna or the new Odyssey would make the best kid hauler.

As for the best of this bunch? It's the RX330. Here's why.

Although the MDX does give you great reliability, comfort, and room, for that price or around it a comparably equipped Toureg, RX330, or FX35 can be purchased. Better materials in all save the FX with a loss of versatility. However, the FX35 may be too car-like, and the VW might not be of interest to the common consumer who doesn't realize that the Toureg is secretly an Audi (WONDERFULLY fitted car.) and doesn't pay the premium price for a non-premium make. The VW also has its common German mechanical issues, which really annoys me. The Cayenne is an advanced Toureg (or is the Toureg a degraded Cayenne ), but with that "advanced" comes the idea of owning a Porsche. That might not fly with many enthusiasts, as Porsche should stick to the Carrera, not Cayenne.

The X5 is a car my dad absolutly hates. He works in downtown Chicago at the Tribune Tower. The executive parking lot was filled with X5's at a point. He has talked to many pissed owners (former owners) that owe their trade in's to nagging Mechanical problems that wouldn't stop. They have traded into FX's, Toureg's, MDX's, RX330's, and one more great SUV I will name later.

The ML350 in my opinion is nothing more than someone wanting an SUV with the Silver Arrow attached. Lack of steering wheel controls?! Come on, they really did cut corners on it and it shows.

Land Rover is a joke, period (awful mechanical quality, poor materials for the price, dependability? )

As for the 5, E, and A6 wagons/avants, the same link can be made to the SUV's, except it comes not in the SUV package, but a wagon, which is a thing of the past in my opinion.

For my money, the FX35 or RX330 seals it. Now, if one is looking into an X5 or ML350 price segment, the Lexus GX470 is king I believe. Although it doesn't have HID lights and only comes in a V8, if those 2 things don't bother you, then the GX470 is great.

So...

For room- Acura MDX/Lexus GX470
Car-like ride- Infiniti FX35
Prestige/rip-off- MB ML350
Great Materials-Lexus RX330/GX470/Toureg/Cayenne
Reliability- Acura MDX/Lexus RX330/GX470 (although I have heard of many 3.3L engine issues from Toyota)

My choices; RX330, FX35, or if you can up a class, GX470. Reliability, style, comfort, room, quality, and good service all in one package in either of these cars.

Now, is anyone looking for an Automotive Journalist intern, I can use a job .
Old 08-12-2004, 12:18 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
...For my money, the FX35 or RX330 seals it. Now, if one is looking into an X5 or ML350 price segment, the Lexus GX470 is king I believe. Although it doesn't have HID lights and only comes in a V8, if those 2 things don't bother you, then the GX470 is great...
Took the GX470 off my list. Had it on there originally. Not sure if it's the best, however. The rear door is simply unacceptable for this type of vehicle. It's utterly un-practical, and it would be nice to see them change-over to something that can be power operated and not take up as much space. Further, the rear-seat is un-usable (save for by 4-8 year olds). And to top it off, the un-usable seats fold up to the side. Yes, this vehicle is more capable off road because of it's truck-like platform, but who are they kidding? No one is going to be taking it off road. The rear-doors are hard to access to, and the second row seating itself, is rather cramped. Not my choice.

Give me a Touareg, please. Rides great. Handles great. Has plenty of get-up and go for everyday driving. Has a BEAUTIFUL interior. Elegant exterior design. Is capable for harsh-weather (important when living on top of a rather steep mountain, where I am) and flies just under the radar.

After the Volkswagen, I'd probably go with the MDX. Then the Lexus. IMHO, however, the Lexus just lacks pizazz (maybe it's the whole "been there, done that" factor).
Old 08-12-2004, 12:33 AM
has been here awhile

...As for the 5, E, and A6 wagons/avants, the same link can be made to the SUV's, except it comes not in the SUV package, but a wagon, which is a thing of the past in my opinion...
Missed this comment earlier on. Sorry, but wagons are coming back in style, believe it or not. Right now we are just getting a taste of what's to come. The Europeans are building stylish, and even *gasp* SEXY wagons Take the Mercedes E-class, Audi Avants, and Volvo V50; each is a prime example of how stylish and sexy a wagon can look. They're all the rage in Europe right now. Wait for the SUV craze to go out of style. Americans are starting to show more interest in wagons--the Dodge Magnum is proof. Americans are slowly realizing that wagons are the next big thing. They offer all the utility of an SUV, but give so much more in ways of comfort, style, and all important gas mileage.

Yes indeed, wagons are making a comeback.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Took the GX470 off my list. Had it on there originally. Not sure if it's the best, however. The rear door is simply unacceptable for this type of vehicle. It's utterly un-practical, and it would be nice to see them change-over to something that can be power operated and not take up as much space. Further, the rear-seat is un-usable (save for by 4-8 year olds). And to top it off, the un-usable seats fold up to the side. Yes, this vehicle is more capable off road because of it's truck-like platform, but who are they kidding? No one is going to be taking it off road. The rear-doors are hard to access to, and the second row seating itself, is rather cramped. Not my choice...

...After the Volkswagen, I'd probably go with the MDX. Then the Lexus. IMHO, however, the Lexus just lacks pizazz (maybe it's the whole "been there, done that" factor).
I believe the GX470 rear door, although yes impractical, is a power door. Lexus tried being different, but true cargo excess needs an upper liftgate. Still, however, a great SUV.

The ONLY thing that would keep me from buying the VW is their reputation for having problems 2-3 years after purchase. Again, the only issue is mechanical quality, will the Toureg survive or drop dead like many other VW's have in the past? The only thing that would keep me from buying an MDX is its interior material. For around 40k, I want real wood. I also want better materials. Granted, it still looks great, but for that price the RX330 or Toureg can satisfy my tastes.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
When I was sitting in all the luxury SUVs in this price range at the auto show, the RX330 had the nicest interior; heck, it felt more "natural" in design than its bigger brother, the GX, which I could tell was nothing more than a 4Runner interior decorated with wood trim (perhaps knowing what the 4Runner's interior looks like robbed me of any appreciation for the GX's interior). And I don't particularly find the 4Runner's interior all that much exciting anyway.

The VW is nice too, but it has that Teutonic coldness to it whereas the Lexus was warm and inviting. It really depends on your tastes, but IMO, those two are the kings when it comes to interior in this segment; oddly enough, I didn't find the Cayenne's interior to be "hot." The ML SUV from Mercedes is showing its age, the interior was cramped. X5 was also nice on the inside, but once you've sat in the MDX/RX/VW, the X5 feels immediately cramped. MDX...sad to say, but it's showing its age, too. It only betters the FX's cheapo interior, which isn't saying much.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:43 AM
has been here awhile

I believe the GX470 rear door, although yes impractical, is a power door. Lexus tried being different, but true cargo excess needs an upper liftgate. Still, however, a great SUV...
Nope...not power. That would kinda be scary to have the door jut out...

Lexus took the wrong path if they "tried to be different". The utility just isn't there. I've found that the clamshell tailgates work best--like on the LX470. The upper section is more than half of the entire tailgate (more like 3/4), giving a lower sill to lift things over. The lower section just drops down when you need it fully open, and creates a nice platform, which helps when you want to slide heavier items in.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Missed this comment earlier on. Sorry, but wagons are coming back in style, believe it or not. Right now we are just getting a taste of what's to come. The Europeans are building stylish, and even *gasp* SEXY wagons Take the Mercedes E-class, Audi Avants, and Volvo V50; each is a prime example of how stylish and sexy a wagon can look. They're all the rage in Europe right now. Wait for the SUV craze to go out of style. Americans are starting to show more interest in wagons--the Dodge Magnum is proof. Americans are slowly realizing that wagons are the next big thing. They offer all the utility of an SUV, but give so much more in ways of comfort, style, and all important gas mileage.

Yes indeed, wagons are making a comeback.
Wagons in Europe are not the rage - they've always been popular and due to roads and other factors minivans and SUVs just have not been selling in the numbers like US. Some of the buying decision depends on what age are the kids you are hauling around. One vehicle might work well for newborns while not so well by the time they reach 6-10. If you contemplate any kind of road trips with the kids, some sort of DVD entertainment system is a must - even if it's not an option get something to which an aftermarket system can be adapted.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:22 AM
Race Director

One other thing to consider - which vehicle is easiet to live with after the kids in it?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:29 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by biker
One other thing to consider - which vehicle is easiet to live with after the kids in it?
Good idea...I remember people bringing this up a lot. I know that I'd much rather have a vehicle with leather...and wood or aluminum is really easy to clean off

But if one of the kids does a projectile vomit all over my nav screen...
Old 08-12-2004, 01:50 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I have new kids I want a mini-van. Odyssey please.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:53 AM
Race Director

But if one of the kids does a projectile vomit all over my nav screen...
It would have to be one hell of a vomit to reach the NAV screen from the back seat.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It would have to be Odyssey IMA. Sweet van. Drove a 98 down to Fla and back. Loved it.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Why are two teenagers debating which family hauler is best?? Go out, have sex with young women, party until 5 am, and live life!!!

Youth is wasted on the young!

jcg, who is j/k
Old 08-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by jcg878
Why are two teenagers debating which family hauler is best?? Go out, have sex with young women, party until 5 am, and live life!!!

jcg, who is j/k
Been there done that...and now we need a family hauler because of our earlier actions

SPUDMTN, who is definitely j/k
Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Teh ?

I think I've mentioned this before in another thread.

BMW M5 Tourer/wagon... yea, that'd be ma family ride.

Junkster, who doesn't want kids for a while
Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 AM
You all suck.

Sounds like it's time to dump the wife and trade up for a younger model....

525 - wagons rule.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Haven't done one of these in a long while...

Here's the scenario: you've recently landed a promotion and you and your wife are expecting two little ones on the way. Your TSX, while nice, just doesn't suffice anymore. You need a larger vehicle. What do you do?
Well ... if you are like me and have twins and in my case have one more on the way. You drive the TSX and your wife drives an Odyssey. The '05 Odyssey is ABSOLUTELY what I would vote. I can not express how huge of a benefit it is to have all that space for the kids and all their stuff (don't underestimate the stuff part). My wife loves her Odyssey and is going to drive it until the wheels fall off (well - maybe until 100K) and the '05 is going to be leaps better ... get on the waiting list now

When it comes to hauling kids ... go for function. And by the way the '05 Odyssey is rumored to have 255 (current is 240 and it will hang with the 5AT TSX). Plus VCM, VSA, airbags galore, etc, etc.

It's a no brainer my friend. Take it from a recent dad of twin 15 month olds that just found out #3 is on the way 6 days ago .... no question ... ODYSSEY!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Provench the current 240HP Ody will hang if not beat a 5AT TSX.

Ody

But I'd still like the slightly smaller Japan spec version here.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by domn
Provench the current 240HP Ody will hang if not beat a 5AT TSX.

Ody

But I'd still like the slightly smaller Japan spec version here.
I am such as bastard, but I love lighting up the old school VTEC in the Odyssey and squeezing out people that think "I'll just fly by this slow van real quick"

Oh and other thing ... 60/40 split for 3rd row .... another huge huge improvement for '05.

Tell ya what SPUDMTN - you wan't our '03 for a good deal? I might get my wife an upgrade
Old 08-12-2004, 11:39 AM

if i was trading in the TSX i would get the RX330.

if i was keeping the TSX i would get the sienna.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I gotta say that until Acura gives me a sportwagon, the Audi S6 Avant is a hugely good compromise between sport and luxury. My gf has a cousin who bought one to drive on a cross country vacation and had a blast in it. I think under this given scenario, unless Acura coughed up a nice wagon, Audi gets my money.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:02 PM

jcg, who is j/k
says can't do that . I have a very sweet and loyal girfriend to attend to, so I can't run around bangin' away (trying to make a joke, OF COURSE). Anyway off THAT subject...

I agree with mostly everything people are saying here, if room is a must, then its the Ody.
If room isn't all that important, then the RX330. If I'm looking for mini-van type room with luxury feel/brand, then definatly the MDX. If only they included real wood for paying around 40k .
Old 08-12-2004, 12:19 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't get it. Why many people think it is better to get a SUV or a mini-van when you're expecting kids? What is wrong with using the TSX? I would stay with the TSX. I don't like big cars, the size of a TSX is right for me and I think it's enough to haul the kids.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by vwong
I don't get it. Why many people think it is better to get a SUV or a mini-van when you're expecting kids? What is wrong with using the TSX? I would stay with the TSX. I don't like big cars, the size of a TSX is right for me and I think it's enough to haul the kids.
The extra "Utility" is a must for family trips, school projects, sports, friends, etc...

I never liked SUV's and minivans until I found out just how important they are from my dad's explanations. More versatility in an SUV, and a ton of room in a minivan. just my opinion on why SUV's are so popular.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 PM
has been here awhile

The extra "Utility" is a must for family trips, school projects, sports, friends, etc...

I never liked SUV's and minivans until I found out just how important they are from my dad's explanations. More versatility in an SUV, and a ton of room in a minivan. just my opinion on why SUV's are so popular.
I love having an SUV to just be able to throw something way in the back whenever I need to. The college move will be a lot easier when it comes time for me to throw many of my belongings in the back.

That being said, my next car will probably be an Acura RSX or TSX...

And with what gocubsg55, the whole "banging" situation-- says no...I'm Seventh-Day Adventist
Old 08-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

mmmm... meat... come to the darkside spud....
Old 08-12-2004, 02:39 PM

Old 08-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by vwong
Somewhat. Both my wife and I have vowed to never purchase a minivan, no matter how convienent they may be. Im sorry but you can find form AND function in many other cars and suv's. My wife likes the Pilot, which is probably what she will be getting next.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:31 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally Posted by biker
For ease of vomit cleanup, I'd have to go with an Element.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:46 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally Posted by provench
It's a no brainer my friend. Take it from a recent dad of twin 15 month olds that just found out #3 is on the way 6 days ago .... no question ... ODYSSEY!

"No brainer" indeed. Anyone who thinks a sedan or SUV is just as good a kid-hauler as a minivan has probably never tried to load 3 small kids while it's raining.

car/SUV: Get kids in seats. Stand outside door and buckle them in while your butt gets wet.

minivan: Get kids inside vehicle. Get self inside vehicle. Shut the door(s). Get kids seated, then buckle them in.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:14 AM
has been here awhile

Ehh...I wouldn't mind hanging out in the rain while I strapped child seat into my Touareg...that is, when I have kids...a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG time from now.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:33 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dnb

"No brainer" indeed. Anyone who thinks a sedan or SUV is just as good a kid-hauler as a minivan has probably never tried to load 3 small kids while it's raining.

car/SUV: Get kids in seats. Stand outside door and buckle them in while your butt gets wet.

minivan: Get kids inside vehicle. Get self inside vehicle. Shut the door(s). Get kids seated, then buckle them in.
This is the only time I agree that a minvan is needed - once you get more than 2 kids, its the only way to go. A lot of things in life get more complicated once you have more than 2 kids.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dnb
Rain isnt really an issue here in SoCal. BUT, I would make sure that everything is "cleaning friendly". I.E. all weather mats, scotchgurad applied liberaly, maybe even seat covers...
Old 08-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Ohhh yeah!

I'd wait till the fall when the Lexus RX400h Hybrid comes out and get that...
Old 08-13-2004, 10:56 AM
such a dirty birdy

I've had my Suburban for about 6 yrs now. I'd buy another one in a second. I don't really care that it doesn't have cachet like some of the vehicles in this poll, it's just an incredibly useful vehicle, reliable and tough, and the "utility" aspect is terrific. Way more load hauling and towing capacity than any minivan. I think it's good value for the money too.

A couple weeks ago I helped a friend move a washer and dryer and we just slid them right in the back of his Element. That's a darn useful little vehicle too. We've used the Element for some canoe/kayak trips and it's pretty good for two people and some wet/dirty gear. Not a great choice for a family vehicle though, seating options are too limited.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

My folks had a Suburban and loved it. Best family vehicle they've ever had. It could haul the 5 of us + our stuff + 3 snowmobiles to the mountains for the weekend. It had a 37 gallon tank and was EPA rated at 12/16, but gas was much cheaper then.

We could also go to a tree farm and put our freshly cut Xmas tree in the BACK! And man I had some memories with HS girlfriends in there too
Old 08-13-2004, 02:30 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

mmmm... meat... come to the darkside spud....
...I'm Seventh-Day Adventist
jcg, my friend, you need to be more sensitive to other members' religious backgrounds.

SPUDMTN: mmmm... think Seventh-Day Adventist meat ... Seventh-Day Adventist booty...

Quick Reply: You've been promoted & kids are on the way...