Your Worst Car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is actually pretty interesting. On another thread, many people miss older American cars-those from the 60-70s and on this thread, people revile their more recent American cars-those of the 80s and 90s. Why would this be?

I think because imports were starting to become a big hit during that era, American automakers were scrambling to create competitors and at the same time, cut costs b/c unions/other factors made them inherently less profitable than import models. And that is why their cars were not as good...(Who hates sealed beam headlights of that era?)

BTW-Most worst cars on this list are understandable but who would hate an RX-8?!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by newbster
...many people miss older American cars-those from the 60-70s and on this thread, people revile their more recent American cars-those of the 80s and 90s. Why would this be?
BTW-Most worst cars on this list are understandable but who would hate an RX-8?!
I don't think unions were designing or engineering the domestic cars from '73 to the mid-'90s-- the good ones were just forgettable overall. The then-new smog and safety equipment really didn't help make them more reliable, either-- just uglier, slower, more complex...

As for the RX-8s, they needed multiple ECU updates, still burn too much fuel regardless, have little torque below 5K rpm and some are burning oil and developing engine rotor issues. They are unique looking, but certainly not pretty like multiple generations of the RX-7.
Oh, and I seriously considered getting an RX-8.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
My worst car by far was a 1977 VW Scirocco 4speed that had dealer added on A/C.
It was my first car and one I liked to drive but hated working on and found myself always doing something to it.

I was plagued with problems:

1. broke points (yes this car still had points and not electronic ignition)

2. continuous problems with the engine overheating- mostly because the electric fan wouldn't come on when it should have, sometimes caused by corrosion on the wire terminals.

3. constant breakins for radios- I had 7 radios replaced in 4 years of ownership even after I popped for an alarm

4. battery charge issues when driving with AC on- the belt would slip and fail to charge the battery. This was do to the belt glazing over and slipping on the pullies. It would usually happen on a long road trip when I was out in the middle of nowhere.
I would be driving and the radio would start cutting out and the headlights would dim. I was pretty good at parking the car on slopes so it could be jump started.

This was one car I needed not only a real toolbox but a bunch of spare parts: points, drive belts, radiator caps, radiator sensors and anti-freeze.

Cars have come a long way since then. Anyone have a Yugo? Now that was probably the biggest POS ever made.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by newbster
Own one, or even just drive one for a few days consecutively and you'll get it. If you've never done either, then that is why you don't understand.

Originally Posted by Will Y.
As for the RX-8s, they needed multiple ECU updates, still burn too much fuel regardless, have little torque below 5K rpm and some are burning oil and developing engine rotor issues. They are unique looking, but certainly not pretty like multiple generations of the RX-7.
Pretty much what he said. There are other issues as well, but it's not necessary to get into it here. The ironic part is that I had a pretty good one... really no issues other then burning oil, which is pretty standard on the rotaries.

Sure they handle like they're on rails and they look pretty cool... but that's about all they do well. Everything else about it sucks. I loved it on my test ride, but after having it for a little while, I just hated it more and more every day. The best experience I had with that car was the day I sold it for the same amount I paid for it.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely my 2003 WRX. Initially I liked it, but soon the lousy low-end torque and dogshit gearbox (ratios, gearchange) started to bug me. I upgraded the rear sway bar links on it which produced an annoying knocking noise....even after I put the old factory ones back in. It got terrible gas mileage. It developed a mass of interior squeaks and rattles; I ended up counting six individual ones. The trunk opening and back seat room always seemed to be a little too small for the tasks at hand. My insurance premiums kept going up and up and up because idiots kept wrecking and stealing them.

Finally, one time I chased a 2000 CLK430 up an onramp. Despite the fact there were four people in that Mercedes and I was alone in my car, it was all I could do to keep up with it. Traded the WRX in the next week on a new 2004 Mazda 3. The WRX blew an oxygen sensor on the way to the dealership.

I bought that WRX new after putting 90K miles on a '97 2.2L Legacy L. The Legacy turned out to be the better car. In a lot of ways I was simply unlucky, I just got a bad one I guess.