For You DRL Non Believers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
For You DRL Non Believers

Research shows effectiveness of daytime running lamps

Detroit, Michigan - New findings by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show daytime running lamps significantly reduce certain kinds of daytime crashes. The recently released NHTSA study, which used federal crash data, shows that from 1995 to 2001:

* DRLs reduced opposite-direction daytime fatal crashes by 5 percent
* DRLs reduced opposite-direction/angle daytime nonfatal crashes by 5 percent
* DRLs reduced non-motorist, pedestrian and cyclist daytime fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 12 percent
* DRLs reduced daytime opposite-direction fatal crashes of a passenger vehicle with a motorcycle by 23 percent.

"This new study reaffirms the benefits of daytime running lights and the decisions by General Motors and some other automakers to make them standard equipment," said Brian O'Neill, president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety." These lights are a simple, inexpensive and effective safety feature, and I hope they will be on all new passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. soon."

Daytime running lights are mandatory on all new vehicles sold in Canada.
They Help.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
They Help.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRL's are pimp!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by domn
They Help.
They still look stupid.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Research?
* DRLs reduced opposite-direction daytime fatal crashes by 5 percent
* DRLs reduced opposite-direction/angle daytime nonfatal crashes by 5 percent
* DRLs reduced non-motorist, pedestrian and cyclist daytime fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 12 percent
* DRLs reduced daytime opposite-direction fatal crashes of a passenger vehicle with a motorcycle by 23 percent.
And how do they know that DRLs, specifically, caused these improvements? Of all the variables that can change over time, why does each of these statistics have to point to DRLs?

I could equally say:
* More roads with jersey block barriers between the opposing directions reduced opposite-direction daytime fatal crashes by 5 percent
* Same thing
* Better bike lane/pedestrian markings reduced non-motorist, pedestrian and cyclist daytime fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 12 percent
* Better motorcycle safety courses reduced daytime opposite-direction fatal crashes of a passenger vehicle with a motorcycle by 23 percent

And who could say I was wrong?

All we know is that some kinds of accidents happen less often now. Trying to say that it's 100% due to DRLs is
Old 11-15-2004, 11:08 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DRL's help, of course. Its common sense. Do they make a diff at 1PM? No, you cant even see them. But at dusk, dawn, or overcast/rainy conditions they make a very significant difference in visibility of other cars. I don't see how this can be disputed
Old 11-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

If it's raining, you should have headlights on. Some states have laws like this (Virginia).

The worst part about DRLs is the dumb f*cks who thinks they're "enough" for all conditions, or who is fooled into thinking that their "lights" are on at night, when they're really not.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Instructor

I'm sure we'll all be driving electric postal vehicles one day......No doubt with daytime running lights.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
DRLs are fine in my book. I think that if it doesn't hurt anyone and the visibility of the vehicle is increased (especially to/for those incompetent drivers), then why not.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fdl
DRL's help, of course. Its common sense. Do they make a diff at 1PM? No, you cant even see them. But at dusk, dawn, or overcast/rainy conditions they make a very significant difference in visibility of other cars. I don't see how this can be disputed
Why not wire headlights to an outside light sensor then?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
DRLs are fine in my book. I think that if it doesn't hurt anyone and the visibility of the vehicle is increased (especially to/for those incompetent drivers), then why not.
At what point would your tolerance end? It was either Volvo or Mercedes, for example, that once determined that the safest color to paint a car is "engineer orange". Would you support a law that all vehicles be painted dayglo colors?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
And how do they know that DRLs, specifically, caused these improvements? Of all the variables that can change over time, why does each of these statistics have to point to DRLs?

I could equally say:
* More roads with jersey block barriers between the opposing directions reduced opposite-direction daytime fatal crashes by 5 percent
* Same thing
* Better bike lane/pedestrian markings reduced non-motorist, pedestrian and cyclist daytime fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 12 percent
* Better motorcycle safety courses reduced daytime opposite-direction fatal crashes of a passenger vehicle with a motorcycle by 23 percent

All we know is that some kinds of accidents happen less often now. Trying to say that it's 100% due to DRLs is

In addition, since 1995 "FATAL" crashes are reduced. Well, airbags, extra safety features, heavier frames + crash zone should reduce FATAL crashes as well. The data is not specific enough.

The statement is flawed and biased.

And DRLs during the daytime on a higway make cars harder to see. Sorry.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Boy Genius

That's the first time I've heard that. Source, please?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:48 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SacQuacker
Why not wire headlights to an outside light sensor then?
Most of the light sensors I have seen wont turn on in the conditions I am talking about. They woudl have to make the sensors alot more sensitive. Also, DRL's are not really headlights. They are less bright and when they are on they have no impact on interior lighting , which is differnet than when headlights are on. I suppose they could setup a sensor that would just turn on low power DRL type lights, with no changes to interior lighting (guages, etc) but this would probably be a lot more $$ to do.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi

Old 11-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Team Owner

At what point would your tolerance end? It was either Volvo or Mercedes, for example, that once determined that the safest color to paint a car is "engineer orange". Would you support a law that all vehicles be painted dayglo colors?
See, dayglo colors offend my sensibilities, and thus have crossed that threshold. DRLs seem pretty harmless to me, as long as they are coupled to automatic headlights.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Boy Genius

See, dayglo colors offend my sensibilities, and thus have crossed that threshold. DRLs seem pretty harmless to me, as long as they are coupled to automatic headlights.
As fdl said, DRLs are not hooked into the interior lighting, so most of the time it shouldn't be a problem to turn on the full lights. This might be a problem for cars with digital dashes, but usually that's not the entire dash anyways. Besides, the difference between HIDs and DRLs is quite significant, so it's not a big deal for the TSX, but it might be for non-HID equipped cars out there. Still, up here in Canada where DRLs have been around for years, I rarely see anyone who doesn't turn on their full headlights at night.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lokman
.............. Still, up here in Canada where DRLs have been around for years, I rarely see anyone who doesn't turn on their full headlights at night.
Yes, but it seems you Canadians can be counted on to do or not do alot of things with which we in the States have issues.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Boy Genius

Yes, but it seems you Canadians can be counted on to do or not do alot of things with which we in the States have issues.
I'm not sure I believe that, but I think turning on head lights when you already have DRLs is a habit thing. Eventually y'all get it.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Race Director

Received 627 Likes on 505 Posts
Having your SO in the back seat would also reduce injuries - but do you do that?

If you make them standard at least make them like on BMWs - can be disabled via software.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

As fdl said, DRLs are not hooked into the interior lighting, so most of the time it shouldn't be a problem to turn on the full lights. This might be a problem for cars with digital dashes, but usually that's not the entire dash anyways. Besides, the difference between HIDs and DRLs is quite significant, so it's not a big deal for the TSX, but it might be for non-HID equipped cars out there. Still, up here in Canada where DRLs have been around for years, I rarely see anyone who doesn't turn on their full headlights at night.
This post confuses me...

My point was that since people are complete and total idiots and would forget to turn on their headlights with the DRLs running, if the DRLs are used in conjunction with automatic headlights that turn on when it gets dark, then there should be no problems.

I'm not quite sure what you were saying in your post?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:09 PM
Boy Genius

This post confuses me...

My point was that since people are complete and total idiots and would forget to turn on their headlights with the DRLs running, if the DRLs are used in conjunction with automatic headlights that turn on when it gets dark, then there should be no problems.

I'm not quite sure what you were saying in your post?
Sorry if I wasn't clear - your idea would be the perfect solution, but just in case there are no automatic headlights, I was trying to say it wouldn't be that big of a problem anyways because if a car has HIDs, then most people would probably turn on their headlights even if they had DRLs installed since the HIDs are so much brighter and the driver would probably notice that he hadn't turned them on.

If a driver doesn't have HIDs, then you might find more people with DRLs who don't turn on their headlights, but since your interior gauges would not light up without turning on the headlights anyways, this mitigates the issue (assuming everyone realizes that their dash should light up). The only time when this could be a problem is when the dash is digital or backlit.

Regardless, I think most people would eventually get into the habit of turning on their headlights properly even with DRLs.

Hope that's clearer.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

.....most people would probably turn on their headlights even if they had DRLs installed since the HIDs are so much brighter and the driver would probably notice that he hadn't turned them on.

If a driver doesn't have HIDs, then you might find more people with DRLs who don't turn on their headlights, but since your interior gauges would not light up without turning on the headlights anyways, this mitigates the issue (assuming everyone realizes that their dash should light up). The only time when this could be a problem is when the dash is digital or backlit.

Regardless, I think most people would eventually get into the habit of turning on their headlights properly even with DRLs....
I think you have too much faith in us 'mericans.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Old fart

DRLs should only be yellow lights and not a dimmer headlamp IMO...
my old car had yellow DRLs and I could spot it from a waaay farther distance...
Old 11-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Instructor

I'm not sure how the NHTSA reached it's conclusions regarding DRL's. How is it that people are crashing head on in the daytime? Wreckless passing on two lane highways? To me that indicates a depth perception problem or time and distance miscalculation on the part of both drivers. No safety device makes up for a deficit between the ears.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Boy Genius

I think you have too much faith in us 'mericans.
Hey, Canucks are (North) 'mericans too!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Registered AssHat

That's the first time I've heard that. Source, please?
The source would be me. I travel down the highway and people have their headlights on during a bright and sunny day. Thus you can't separate the cars because you can't see their outline. It makes it harder to see.

The US Air Force (Army Air Corps back then) conducted a study by fitting lights on the leading edges of airplanes...as camoflage. It worked, but was deemed impractical. Same principle, except now it's on roads.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:10 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The source would be me. I travel down the highway and people have their headlights on during a bright and sunny day. Thus you can't separate the cars because you can't see their outline. It makes it harder to see.
DRL's are NOT the same as headlights. They are much dimmer and don't interfere with the outline of the car.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by fdl
DRL's are NOT the same as headlights. They are much dimmer and don't interfere with the outline of the car.
I know that. But you realize I'm in the states. People think "DRL's are safer, my car doesn't have them, I'll just turn on the headlights".
Old 11-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Instructor

I know that. But you realize I'm in the states. People think "DRL's are safer, my car doesn't have them, I'll just turn on the headlights".
...and the people with DRL's think "DRL's are stupid looking, I'll just cut these wires..."
Old 11-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I do this most AMs. Every morning I drive WNW on my way to work, with terrible sun glare behind me. The cars behind me with DRLs or their lights on, I can see. The other ones are difficult to see. I'd prefer to be one of the "seen" cars. If DRLs were required, I'd be able to see all of them.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I'm not sure how the NHTSA reached it's conclusions regarding DRL's. How is it that people are crashing head on in the daytime? Wreckless passing on two lane highways? To me that indicates a depth perception problem or time and distance miscalculation on the part of both drivers. No safety device makes up for a deficit between the ears.
opposite direction crashes reduced? how about teach people not to drift into the other $!#%@#! lane.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I could equally say:
* Same thing

If the reduction in these types of accidents is only in cars with DRLs, that would strengthen the argument.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jcg878
If the reduction in these types of accidents is only in cars with DRLs, that would strengthen the argument.
My reasoning works if you just look at cars with DRLs, too.

Do people really need DRSs to not hit an oncoming car?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Old fart

...and the people with DRL's think "DRL's are stupid looking, I'll just cut these wires..."
Old 11-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

My reasoning works if you just look at cars with DRLs, too.

I know. It loses strength when you look at cars with DRLs compared to those without.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
All of you who try and find excuses for not believing in DRLs are

I do enough driving, and see enough of a difference when I cross a pre 1990 car not equipped with DRLs to know the DRLs are a very safe enhancement.

I just cannot believe any of you would fight against something that has nothing but benefits, especially about safety! and
Old 11-16-2004, 01:50 AM
bleh...

I used to have a Canadian model 1997 Toyota Camry LE w/ DRLs and I would sometimes have some fun with the DRLs and drive at night with those on without turning on the rest of the lights!

Other than that, I would like to see more manufacturers install DRLs on their cars in the US. I wish my cars had DRLs especially when I drive across the country on the highway....they would be more useful. I would like to be more visible on the road to others!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:31 AM
Race Director

Received 627 Likes on 505 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
All of you who try and find excuses for not believing in DRLs are

I do enough driving, and see enough of a difference when I cross a pre 1990 car not equipped with DRLs to know the DRLs are a very safe enhancement.

I just cannot believe any of you would fight against something that has nothing but benefits, especially about safety! and
If there's room, do you make everyone ride in the back seat?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DRLs only differentiate the car if no other car around them have DRLs. Once every car has DRLs, then you have the same problem all over again.

Quick Reply: For You DRL Non Believers