Are you considering an EV yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:31 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,105 Likes on 4,006 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
I'm really hoping in the next 5 years, or maybe when this gen starts getting refreshed, we see ranges in the 4-500 mile range (that don't cost $120k......). I'll be definitely in at that point. I know the model 3 extended range gets up there but I'm not in the market for a smaller 4 door sedan. Although if I wanted one right now it woudl be the BMW i4 M50.
It's not going to get that high unless there's a seismic shift in battery tech. Where we will really start getting better is once charging infrastructure gets more built out. Even cars that claim 400-500 miles aren't doing that in anything less than ideal conditions that never happen. Being able to plug in wherever you go is the way forward. Going to dinner? Plug in. Mall? Plug in. Work? Plug in. That's the best way forward.

In regards to the motors, WTF BMW??? Even my cordless drill doesn't use brushed motors lol. That is antiquated tech even 5 years ago.

It is only going to get better from here on out but it's not going to be this huge improvement unless there's a big change in battery or motor tech and that's a pretty big ask at this point. No one is even close to commercializing a solid state battery.
The following users liked this post:
Sarlacc (01-23-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:44 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts

The average commute in the US is 41 miles per day. 4-500 miles of range sounds awesome on paper but the majority of people will do just fine with ~300 miles of range. Even for roadtrips, stopping every ~3.5hrs (240-280 miles) is better for your body so you can get out and stretch, pee, and grab a bite to eat. Many EVs make it enjoyable to stop by having Netflix, Youtube, etc built into the car.

Anecdotally, we used my fiance's CR-V for roadtrips. We've driven the 3 on every roadtrip we've taken since getting it (3 or 4 in the last year). Even having to stop ~15 minutes longer, roadtrips are much more relaxing. The only time I use the CRV is if I need to pick up garden supplies, lumber, or tow something - and that's only because I don't have a hitch on the Tesla. The Tesla actually has a higher towing capacity

Last edited by civicdrivr; 01-24-2023 at 11:48 AM.
pilozm (01-29-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:04 PM
Ex-OEM King

Exactly. 300 miles is a LONG way to drive and one where you're likely to have stopped once or twice anyway. Having a car with a 400-500 mile range is rather pointless unless you're going to use it for towing.

pilozm (01-29-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:39 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Exactly. 300 miles is a LONG way to drive and one where you're likely to have stopped once or twice anyway. Having a car with a 400-500 mile range is rather pointless unless you're going to use it for towing.
I'll be a devils advocate just for debate. These mileage claims are for commuting numbers only. Most people could get by on a PHEV.

But for road trips and lots of open freeway driving we all know it will be much less. And there is where reliable charging networks come play and why, as far as this is concerned, Tesla still wins for time being. My parents live 120 miles away. If I charge to 90% and drive conservatively (65-75 on autopilot, with occasional 80-85 jaunts) I can make it to there (or home) with about 20% left.

Last week I had to drive to the middle of nowhere for a job, also 120 miles away but with an elevation climb and massive temp drop (30-40 degrees in the high desert). I stopped halfway in Palmdale at about 50% and charged up just to be safe...I got to the next charger about 15 miles from my hotel with about 30% (my boss in his model 3P made it on a single charge but I dont know how he drives). When I drove home I charged to 90% and made it home with about 35% (lots of downhill regen and I used autopilot at around 70-75 most of the way.

That all said, the trips were more than doable and easy. And using autopilot chills me out and lets me enjoy it more...otherwise im the asshole trying to fly by at 90 (which is 80% os so cal anyway).
pilozm (01-29-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 01:35 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I'll respectfully disagree. Keeping in mind that just because something is possible doesn't mean everyone is ready to put up with it.

Sure, any EV out there is capabile of commuting. I have a 58 mile round trip and it would be fine under any circumstances. I have 90-120 mile round trips I frequently take and it woudl be fine for that too. The problem is I don't just commute or stick to tidy trips that don't challenge the range. I have a few use cases that make current ranges problematic. Like making the occasional need to make a 240 mile round trip without a charger available. Or a 140 mile round trip that involves climbing a mountain. Or 200 mile round trips to trail heads with no chargers where the car might sit for 5 days in between. Or 600 mile one way trips typically in below freezing temps over three mountain passes with very sparse chargers. Never mind that if it's cold out, those 240-280 mile ranges drop considerably. And my wife's car isn't suitable for many of those activities either.

So yeah, I have a need for probably 400 miles of range before I'd consider owning something comfortably for how I need to use it wihtout having to rent a car just to go hiking or visit family. Alternatively, the charging infraststruicture needs to get a WHOLE lot better. One or the other.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1Louder:
1killercls (01-26-2023), NBP04TL4ME (01-25-2023), pttl (01-24-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 11:14 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^ - I agree - especially with the infrastructure comment. Which I don't think is really disputed or unknown by anyone. I'd probably be fine with a fully electric vehicle for 50-75% of the driving I do but 4-5 times a month I'd probably be stuck somewhere either looking for charging options or having to spend more time planning where to charge and hope there are plugs available. For my wife there is no question an EV (and lower range one) would be fine for 99% of the driving she does. I really wanted to get one but at the moment it just wouldn't work out for the type of driving I do...and that's living in the bay area.
The following 4 users liked this post by subinf:
1killercls (01-26-2023), 1Louder (01-25-2023), NBP04TL4ME (01-25-2023), pttl (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:11 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by subinf
^ - I agree - especially with the infrastructure comment. Which I don't think is really disputed or unknown by anyone. I'd probably be fine with a fully electric vehicle for 50-75% of the driving I do but 4-5 times a month I'd probably be stuck somewhere either looking for charging options or having to spend more time planning where to charge and hope there are plugs available. For my wife there is no question an EV (and lower range one) would be fine for 99% of the driving she does. I really wanted to get one but at the moment it just wouldn't work out for the type of driving I do...and that's living in the bay area.
You’re in northern California. The Tesla charging infrastructure in this state is ridiculous. I bet you would be fine for pretty much. All you were driving means.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Where do you drive that you'll have issues finding charging locations? Unless you're regularly driving down 395 in the winter, I don't think there's anywhere in the state you'd have a problem with charging.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:41 PM
One on the right for me

^ - The issue isn't with charging locations is usually the lack of any available chargers.
pilozm (01-29-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 01:04 PM

That seems to be an issue along major corridors in CA and TX. I've never had to wait for a charger in VA/NC/SC though.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:09 PM
The Third Ball

I’ve never had to wait for a charger on any kind of a road trip. The only chargers I’ve had to wait out before I got mine installed at my place were local superchargers that weren’t really destinations spots.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:38 PM

Received 5,488 Likes on 3,746 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
That seems to be an issue along major corridors in CA and TX. I've never had to wait for a charger in VA/NC/SC though.
FWIW, I've only seen 1 set of charges that was near capacity, and that was at the Bucees in AL. The entire property was jam-packed with car traffic & probably 90% of their large Tesla charging bank was full, but there were still a few available (getting over to them was another issue, unrelated to the chargers themselves).
Pretty much anywhere else that I've seen/noticed them, there's always 1-2 available.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
FWIW, I've only seen 1 set of charges that was near capacity, and that was at the Bucees in AL. The entire property was jam-packed with car traffic & probably 90% of their large Tesla charging bank was full, but there were still a few available (getting over to them was another issue, unrelated to the chargers themselves).
Pretty much anywhere else that I've seen/noticed them, there's always 1-2 available.
Thanksgiving on I-5 between LA and SF is a shitshow.
2.2Lude (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 02:43 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I'll be a devils advocate just for debate. These mileage claims are for commuting numbers only. Most people could get by on a PHEV.

But for road trips and lots of open freeway driving we all know it will be much less. And there is where reliable charging networks come play and why, as far as this is concerned, Tesla still wins for time being. My parents live 120 miles away. If I charge to 90% and drive conservatively (65-75 on autopilot, with occasional 80-85 jaunts) I can make it to there (or home) with about 20% left.

Last week I had to drive to the middle of nowhere for a job, also 120 miles away but with an elevation climb and massive temp drop (30-40 degrees in the high desert). I stopped halfway in Palmdale at about 50% and charged up just to be safe...I got to the next charger about 15 miles from my hotel with about 30% (my boss in his model 3P made it on a single charge but I dont know how he drives). When I drove home I charged to 90% and made it home with about 35% (lots of downhill regen and I used autopilot at around 70-75 most of the way.

That all said, the trips were more than doable and easy. And using autopilot chills me out and lets me enjoy it more...otherwise im the asshole trying to fly by at 90 (which is 80% os so cal anyway).
You basically validated my point though. Even with all your driving to locations in the desert, you didn't really have an issue and did it all just fine.

The car plans all this for you so it's not like you have to DIY where to stop and stuff. It will auto map charging spots where needed automatically.

I'll respectfully disagree. Keeping in mind that just because something is possible doesn't mean everyone is ready to put up with it.

Sure, any EV out there is capabile of commuting. I have a 58 mile round trip and it would be fine under any circumstances. I have 90-120 mile round trips I frequently take and it woudl be fine for that too. The problem is I don't just commute or stick to tidy trips that don't challenge the range. I have a few use cases that make current ranges problematic. Like making the occasional need to make a 240 mile round trip without a charger available. Or a 140 mile round trip that involves climbing a mountain. Or 200 mile round trips to trail heads with no chargers where the car might sit for 5 days in between. Or 600 mile one way trips typically in below freezing temps over three mountain passes with very sparse chargers. Never mind that if it's cold out, those 240-280 mile ranges drop considerably. And my wife's car isn't suitable for many of those activities either.

So yeah, I have a need for probably 400 miles of range before I'd consider owning something comfortably for how I need to use it wihtout having to rent a car just to go hiking or visit family. Alternatively, the charging infraststruicture needs to get a WHOLE lot better. One or the other.
If you have tangible use cases where an EV doesn't work for you then don't get one. The only reason my wife doesn't have an EV right now is because her parents live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and the closest charger to their place is 100 miles (each way) away. Being that it's a pretty important use case, we can't have an EV for her so we have the Subie. There certainly are situations still today where an EV isn't going to work for you but, as you said, having an EV would do 95% of what you need to do. The charging infrastructure is rapidly improving because it has to with how many more of these things there are on the road. Also, I'd be surprised if you were THAT far away from good charging out in the PNW. Making round trips in the mountains isn't so bad because you gain charge on the way back. There are always alternate routes and such that the car can help you figure out to get to where you need to go. The cars also don't use very much power when sitting idle, MAYBE 1% per day if they are just parked and it's not stupid cold out. I've left mine parked at the airport for 10 days and came back to see it had lost about 3-5% battery.

Anyway, most (not all) of the excuses I hear about EV charging and range generally amount to just not wanting an EV and that's totally fine. Stick with the gas car, nothing wrong with it but making up scenarios where the car theoretically won't work seems silly.

Edit: Here's a map of the charging available to Teslas in the PNW. Are you telling me there's a spot on this map you regularly go to that would be unreachable with this?

There's not enough charging for the driving you do around the bay area? I call BS. FWIW, most of your charging will likely be at home.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-25-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:50 PM
The Third Ball

You basically validated my point though. Even with all your driving to locations in the desert, you didn't really have an issue and did it all just fine.

The car plans all this for you so it's not like you have to DIY where to stop and stuff. It will auto map charging spots where needed automatically.

A bit. I think my point is is that my car says 330 miles of range but on an open freeway trip I’m lucky to get 120 to 150 and any car that comes in saying it has 4 to 500 miles of range will probably be lucky to get between two and 300 miles of open freeway driving. Plus, I’m lucky enough to be in a state where supercharging is heavily supported. I know it’s not that case everywhere in the country as of yet but we will get there.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:56 PM

@SamDoe1 - Keep in mind the dark grey icons are destination chargers, which may or may not be reserved for just guests of the properties. The light grey are SC's that haven't opened yet.

It likely doesn't change your sentiment, but transparency helps.
pttl (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 03:04 PM
Ex-OEM King

A bit. I think my point is is that my car says 330 miles of range but on an open freeway trip I’m lucky to get 120 to 150 and any car that comes in saying it has 4 to 500 miles of range will probably be lucky to get between two and 300 miles of open freeway driving. Plus, I’m lucky enough to be in a state where supercharging is heavily supported. I know it’s not that case everywhere in the country as of yet but we will get there.
Agreed. If you're going more than 60mph, your range suffers. Also Teslas HEAVILY sandbag their ranges whereas others will quote ranges that the cars often beat.

@SamDoe1 - Keep in mind the dark grey icons are destination chargers, which may or may not be reserved for just guests of the properties. The light grey are SC's that haven't opened yet.

It likely doesn't change your sentiment, but transparency helps.
Agreed, but destination chargers are also part of being able to travel to places. Being able to stay at a hotel that has a charger or a campground that has one definitely alleviates a lot of the concern about not having power.

My point is that this is not impossible and even if you have to take a different route than usual, it can certainly be done.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:51 PM

If you have tangible use cases where an EV doesn't work for you then don't get one. The only reason my wife doesn't have an EV right now is because her parents live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and the closest charger to their place is 100 miles (each way) away. Being that it's a pretty important use case, we can't have an EV for her so we have the Subie. There certainly are situations still today where an EV isn't going to work for you but, as you said, having an EV would do 95% of what you need to do. The charging infrastructure is rapidly improving because it has to with how many more of these things there are on the road. Also, I'd be surprised if you were THAT far away from good charging out in the PNW. Making round trips in the mountains isn't so bad because you gain charge on the way back. There are always alternate routes and such that the car can help you figure out to get to where you need to go. The cars also don't use very much power when sitting idle, MAYBE 1% per day if they are just parked and it's not stupid cold out. I've left mine parked at the airport for 10 days and came back to see it had lost about 3-5% battery.

Anyway, most (not all) of the excuses I hear about EV charging and range generally amount to just not wanting an EV and that's totally fine. Stick with the gas car, nothing wrong with it but making up scenarios where the car theoretically won't work seems silly.
I actually want an EV. I came very close to getting one last summer. So I'm not trying to make up excuses to avoid it. Like your example above, I have what I think are legit uses that I need my car to do. And I don't want a Tesla, so that charging network isn't the one I'm considering. And I know for sure no one has chargers along secondary highways and forrest roads. That big empty space below - that's where I want to go.

But back to my point, a 400 mile SUV EV hits 100% of use cases. That's why I wish there was one. And I don't think it's an unachievable goal even with current technology. I think way too many (if not all) EV makers are currently WAY too preoccupied with "Go Fast" and I'd rather at least see one emphasize "Go Far" (that's not a six-figure Lucid......). I don't need 500 hp and 280 miles of range. I'd be perfectly happy with 250 hp and 400 miles. Get it under $80k and I'd be a buyer.

It will get there. I think they could today if they wanted, which is frustrating.
1killercls (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 03:56 PM

While I didn't say it, this was also on my mind when I said I wanted a 400+ mile car. For margin - because there are many conditions where you don't get that. So that 400 mile car that maybe only gets 300 under certain conditions can still do the 240 mile trip with 60 to spare. Right now, its a bunch of 280 mile cars that might only go 200 under certain conditions and there I'm stuck.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:17 PM

But back to my point, a 400 mile SUV EV hits 100% of use cases. That's why I wish there was one. And I don't think it's an unachievable goal even with current technology. I think way too many (if not all) EV makers are currently WAY too preoccupied with "Go Fast" and I'd rather at least see one emphasize "Go Far" (that's not a six-figure Lucid......). I don't need 500 hp and 280 miles of range. I'd be perfectly happy with 250 hp and 400 miles. Get it under $80k and I'd be a buyer.
You reach a point of diminishing returns with an electric SUV, primarily due to aerodynamics and battery size (the R1S has the largest battery pack on the market at 135kw and it takes about an hour to charge from 10% to 90%). I think what would cure your range anxiety are more chargers, which will hopefully be addressed in the coming years.

Either way, I agree with you that an EV doesn't work in you use case.
1Louder (01-25-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 09:49 AM
Ex-OEM King

I actually want an EV. I came very close to getting one last summer. So I'm not trying to make up excuses to avoid it. Like your example above, I have what I think are legit uses that I need my car to do. And I don't want a Tesla, so that charging network isn't the one I'm considering. And I know for sure no one has chargers along secondary highways and forrest roads. That big empty space below - that's where I want to go.

It will get there. I think they could today if they wanted, which is frustrating.
If that's your use condition then it's not for you just yet. Again, I don't think that a larger battery is what you should be waiting for, but look for more charging options. More battery = more weight = more power needed to move it.

Another thing to consider is that you don't have to make the full 240 mile round trip without charging. Even if you go 200 of those miles, you'd be ok and can charge somewhere along your travel route.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:51 AM

If that's your use condition then it's not for you just yet. Again, I don't think that a larger battery is what you should be waiting for, but look for more charging options. More battery = more weight = more power needed to move it.

Another thing to consider is that you don't have to make the full 240 mile round trip without charging. Even if you go 200 of those miles, you'd be ok and can charge somewhere along your travel route.
I think more avaiability of chargers will go a LONG way. I don't think anything about those trips in my current car because I know there are a dozen opportunities to fuel up even on those rural highways. And I don't mind stopping to charge even if it takes longer. I just need a place to stop.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:18 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Still a no for me.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:35 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,085 Posts
The charging infrastructure just isn't there yet. It won't be until charging stations are analogous to fuel stations. EA seems pretty much useless, according to stunna, so what's left?
Old 01-26-2023, 11:40 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by pttl
The charging infrastructure just isn't there yet. It won't be until charging stations are analogous to fuel stations. EA seems pretty much useless, according to stunna, so what's left?
Getting your info from him is like watching Newsmax and assuming it's all true.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
1killercls (01-30-2023), Sarlacc (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 12:06 PM
My first Avatar....

Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM

I think Tesla opening their chargers will go a long way towards getting other charging stations to open. Chargepoint, Electrify America, et al surely don't want Tesla profiting off of their lack of infrastructure. A few manufacturers are building out infrastructure too - I think it was GM or Ford.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:47 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
I think my situation is someone unique and does not represent a majority of the EV purchasers. In most instances the parking structures that have EV charging don't have a huge number of stations. Or the stations are full. And in general I'm usually not in any particular lot for the entire day.

For me I'm not sure what to do in the event that:

1. Start from home and drive 90 miles for a hearing. 50/50 as to whether the court's parking lot has charging available. Or if it is fast charging (assuming hearing is 1-2 hours);
2. Leave and drive to SFO - there is EV charging but stations are usually full. (I suppose I could stop on the way and charge assuming I'm not tight on time)
3. Return to car that may or may not have been charged.

While the above isn't typical (at least over the last 2.5 years) it's probably 1-2x/month.

I don't think it will be as much of an issue in the next 2-3 years. But for the time being the plug in makes the most sense. And when the wife's car is done it will be replaced with a fully electric model - if Lucid is still around that'd be great just for the added range.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by 1killercls
Still a no for me.
In other news, old man yells at clouds...

civicdrivr (01-26-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 11:14 AM

BMW beginning to test SSBs in 2023. Realize it's still a long way off, even the article admits launch is "fluid". But within 5-10 years doesn't seem unreasonable unless the prototypes fail miserably.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ttery-testing/
Old 01-30-2023, 08:53 AM
Ex-OEM King

I think Tesla opening their chargers will go a long way towards getting other charging stations to open. Chargepoint, Electrify America, et al surely don't want Tesla profiting off of their lack of infrastructure. A few manufacturers are building out infrastructure too - I think it was GM or Ford.
Ford is mandating DCFC's at all dealerships who want to sell Ford EV's so that will definitely expand charging everywhere. Rivian and Mercedes have already kicked off their charging networks and I thought I heard GM is partnering with some existing company to help them grow and maintain their network.

Nothing can hold a candle to the supercharger network for now so I'm hopeful they open to the world here soon.

I think my situation is someone unique and does not represent a majority of the EV purchasers. In most instances the parking structures that have EV charging don't have a huge number of stations. Or the stations are full. And in general I'm usually not in any particular lot for the entire day.

For me I'm not sure what to do in the event that:

1. Start from home and drive 90 miles for a hearing. 50/50 as to whether the court's parking lot has charging available. Or if it is fast charging (assuming hearing is 1-2 hours);
2. Leave and drive to SFO - there is EV charging but stations are usually full. (I suppose I could stop on the way and charge assuming I'm not tight on time)
3. Return to car that may or may not have been charged.

While the above isn't typical (at least over the last 2.5 years) it's probably 1-2x/month.

I don't think it will be as much of an issue in the next 2-3 years. But for the time being the plug in makes the most sense. And when the wife's car is done it will be replaced with a fully electric model - if Lucid is still around that'd be great just for the added range.
There should be a charger on every street corner in SFO. You can likely find a place to plug in while you have lunch if the courthouse lot doesn't have a charger. Even if they don't 180 miles round trip is easily doable in almost every modern EV. My Rivian will do 250 miles easy even in the stupid cold weather we have.

BMW beginning to test SSBs in 2023. Realize it's still a long way off, even the article admits launch is "fluid". But within 5-10 years doesn't seem unreasonable unless the prototypes fail miserably.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ttery-testing/
5-10 years is a lifetime for cars. If that were to be the case, you could get one now and the SSB would be ready for you when you're set to buy your next car.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:24 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
In other news, old man yells at clouds...

Actually it's just that I love my Audi and it's paid for. I'm not slinging shit about EV's. They are just not on my "To Do List".
The following 2 users liked this post by 1killercls:
NBP04TL4ME (01-30-2023), Sarlacc (01-30-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 02:55 PM
My first Avatar....

Old 07-30-2023, 07:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 504 Likes on 282 Posts
Yeah, I definitely considered EV cars as a potential successor to our current cars. In my situation, we have 3 (sedan, van, sport) cars currently, all ICE. 99% of their use is within a 40 mile radius, my parents also have some property approx 170 miles north of here. So we would almost never need to charge at a charging station, additionally we have a decent size solar array on the house.
I know a couple of folks with ModelS teslas, and a friend of mine also has a model 3 and they are all really happy with them. My cousin also has a MachE GT and it’s a pretty good vehicle too.

Here are my problems for going to EV and changing out one of our cars.

the Sedan (3g TL-s manual) wife and I really love the car, it’s my first car I ever bought new, I’m attached to it and love the manual. But logically this would make the most sense, I’m just not ready to let go, and I won’t. The TL has been adopted many years ago by my wife and she always takes it to and from work.

the Van. We used it as the shuttle from Tampa to Atlanta when my parents lived up there. But now they moved 30 minutes away. So for the past 7 years all we used it for is errands and shuttling the kids around. Although not super often, we do make use of the 3 row seating. When we go out to dinner as a family with my parents we always hop in and go together. Also rides to the airport to pickup family visiting or us flying out on holiday. Its amazing how much stuff fits in it. A full EV van would kill the road trip potential, but a plug in would be great, idling in carline seems so wasteful. Anyways, my dad was joking with me last week when I picked them up from the airport that I can’t sell the van. We get more use out of it then what they will give me on trade.

then finally, sports car, well, that needs to remain ICE, with a manual. I like the noise and interaction so that’s not a candidate for EV in my book.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:08 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by pttl
So...the issue is greedy dealers and not the cars themselves? Shit, these can drop in price by $5k-$10k and just hit MSRP let alone invoice pricing like the good old days.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:10 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by PhilB81
Yeah, I definitely considered EV cars as a potential successor to our current cars. In my situation, we have 3 (sedan, van, sport) cars currently, all ICE. 99% of their use is within a 40 mile radius, my parents also have some property approx 170 miles north of here. So we would almost never need to charge at a charging station, additionally we have a decent size solar array on the house.
I know a couple of folks with ModelS teslas, and a friend of mine also has a model 3 and they are all really happy with them. My cousin also has a MachE GT and it’s a pretty good vehicle too.

Here are my problems for going to EV and changing out one of our cars.

the Sedan (3g TL-s manual) wife and I really love the car, it’s my first car I ever bought new, I’m attached to it and love the manual. But logically this would make the most sense, I’m just not ready to let go, and I won’t. The TL has been adopted many years ago by my wife and she always takes it to and from work.

the Van. We used it as the shuttle from Tampa to Atlanta when my parents lived up there. But now they moved 30 minutes away. So for the past 7 years all we used it for is errands and shuttling the kids around. Although not super often, we do make use of the 3 row seating. When we go out to dinner as a family with my parents we always hop in and go together. Also rides to the airport to pickup family visiting or us flying out on holiday. Its amazing how much stuff fits in it. A full EV van would kill the road trip potential, but a plug in would be great, idling in carline seems so wasteful. Anyways, my dad was joking with me last week when I picked them up from the airport that I can’t sell the van. We get more use out of it then what they will give me on trade.

then finally, sports car, well, that needs to remain ICE, with a manual. I like the noise and interaction so that’s not a candidate for EV in my book.
So the cliff notes version of this is because you don't want to? That's totally ok and a sound reason.

There are 3 row EV's out on the market today that would do what you want. You claimed that all you did for 7 years is drive it around town anyway so that's a perfect use condition. For the off chance that you take a road trip that you feel an EV wouldn't work for (rare), just rent a car for a week or whatever.

Sports car I agree but it's getting close.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 504 Likes on 282 Posts
So the cliff notes version of this is because you don't want to?
perfect summary of my post.

which EV are 3 rows? Model X and the new ID Buzz that’s coming out next year right? I’m guessing the model X is similar or smaller then my mom’s X7 which can fit noticeably less than the van.
but I completely agree that our use case is perfect for electric. Even a decent plug in would do the trick.
But as you said, I don’t want to, my cars have plenty of life in them. Now, if one gets totaled, that changes things.
Any recommendations for a people hauler EV?
Old 07-31-2023, 10:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by PhilB81
perfect summary of my post.

which EV are 3 rows? Model X and the new ID Buzz that’s coming out next year right? I’m guessing the model X is similar or smaller then my mom’s X7 which can fit noticeably less than the van.
but I completely agree that our use case is perfect for electric. Even a decent plug in would do the trick.
But as you said, I don’t want to, my cars have plenty of life in them. Now, if one gets totaled, that changes things.
Any recommendations for a people hauler EV?
Tesla Model X
VW ID Buzz
Rivian R1S
Kia EV9
Volvo EX90
Mercedes EQS SUV
Mercedes EQB
Hyundai Ioniq 7 (next year)

Technically the Model Y can be had with a 3rd row but you're not fitting anyone other than a small toddler back there and your luggage space is basically zero with the seat up.

My recommendations out of that list are the R1S, the EQB, and the Volvo. The Hyundai and Kia make fantastic EV's but they haven't committed to using the Supercharger network yet so that's a big ding on their desirability.

Edit to add: No EV is worth buying for the sake of saving money vs a car that you already own, is in good condition, and paid for. If you're happy with what you have, then keep it. If you're in the market, definitely take a look as it's definitely worth it to go EV. No gas, no maintenance, no fuss. It's something I don't regret doing at all. That said, a sports car should still make a lot of noise.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 07-31-2023 at 11:03 AM.
PhilB81 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 11:00 AM

Edit: Sam beat me

Rivian R1S, Model Y (but the third row is pointless), MB EQB & EQS, Kia EV9, Volvo EX90, Model X...that's all I can think of right now.
PhilB81 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 11:16 AM

Received 5,488 Likes on 3,746 Posts
I'd likely put the MB EQB/GLB in the 'seems useless' 3rd row group. Can't imagine 3 rows in something that size.
PhilB81 (07-31-2023)

Quick Reply: Are you considering an EV yet?