Are you considering an EV yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 01:40 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,999 Likes on 3,952 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
bmw always gave me shit about trying to get a loaner.
I think it depends on the market you're in. When I had my BMW they gave a loaner for literally any service, you didn't even have to ask about it. That said, it was nearly a decade ago so there's that...
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (09-13-2022), csmeance (09-20-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 01:41 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Some good news.

Tesla just called and said they were able to source the parts and it’s ready for pick up.
The following users liked this post:
doopstr (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 01:48 PM
Ex-OEM King

Some good news.

Tesla just called and said they were able to source the parts and it’s ready for pick up.
Damn.

So much for that shitty Tesla service and long service down times.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
bmw always gave me shit about trying to get a loaner.
Never happened to me as i always make my appointment with reservation for Loaners.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:21 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Damn.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:43 PM
The Third Ball

Damn.

turns out there is more to this story…I’ll write it out later when I’m home.

but it’s been a clusterfuck getting my car back.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:11 PM
The Third Ball

Man it’s turned into an even larger shit show…
Old 09-13-2022, 10:17 PM
The Third Ball

OK...

So I get to Tesla at 1:30PM to pick up my car. The person I speak with tells me my car is off site, and they will shuttle me over. So, I go take a seat. 20 minutes pass by and no ones comes to get me. I go back up front and say as much. The dude I spoke says they will and disappears. Another 10 minutes go by, and Im getting really frustrated. Someone who looks higher up comes as and starts asking people if they've been helped. I jump in loudly and say I've been waiting over 30 minutes for a shuttle to my car off site, and I have to pick up my kids from school, and that its bullshit I've had to wait that long. They apologize and say they'll someone right away.

I finally get a shuttle and we go to the site about 2 miles away. It's lower subterranean levels in a corporate parks parking garage (common in LA for car dealers to lease space like this). We get down to the levels where they have the customer cars, and my car is no where to be found. I manage to get some cell service, and low and behold my car says its back at the service center. So, now I'm pissed. I get back to the center, and I walk in and ask to speak with a manager or supervisor. The guy says he's the one to talk to so now I get loud. I say its been almost a fucking hour, no one there knew where my car was, and I still have to get my fucking kids. This is ridiculous and bullshit. The person says I'm absolutely right and asked me to describe who initially helped me. I did and he knew exactly who it was and just shook his head. Apparently, they ask customers upon arrival to open their app to see which location has their car. I apologize for being "that guy" but I'm pissed, and he says I should be that guy and I have every right. Placation and deescalation, I get it. But he's very helpful. He's says he put in the notes to give me a free annual inspection for my troubles (whatever the hell that entails...) They pull my car around, I check to make sure my charger is in it, etc. I get in the driver seat and......LOW TIRE PRESSURE WARNING....19psi front left tire. I get right out of the car. The guy comes out and says I saw you get out, what's wrong? I tell him, and he rushes a guy to take my car and fill the tire. As thats happening I look at him and say if its a flat I'm coming right back. To which he replies "of course"

Car pulls back around, tire is full, and off I go to finally get my kids from school. On the freeway I hear this tink, tink, tink, tink. Roll down my window and its coming from the front driver side tire...Great. When I get to my kids school I get out and there is a giant fucking bolt with spacer embedded in my tire. I guess too much to ask that someone notice the warning alert...let alone give the tire a once over when they put air in it...I get the kids and drive straight back to tesla...Hey guess what guys, one of your bolts is right in my tire.

They take it back repair and say it'll be about 45 min...as I'm waiting the guy comes out and says, "Good news, I talked to the higher ups and they are going to goodwill this repair" to which I said, "Yeah, of course you are, you guys are responsible for it."

About 45min (its now 5:00PM) later they pull my around, and the guys says the techs just decided to give me a new tire. OK, not bad. In the end they did make it up to me.

BUT NOW....I have 3 tires with 20k miles on them. And one new tire...And I'm wondering if I shouldn't go buy one tire to match the wear up with....which of course means this ordeal still ended up costing me money...

So, there you have it. My actual crappy Tesla experience.
The following 5 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
civicdrivr (09-14-2022), doopstr (09-14-2022), pilozm (10-03-2022), SamDoe1 (09-14-2022), ttribe (09-15-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 10:47 PM
Team Owner

if i recall correctly, Y's tires are supposed to have something like 40ish psi. If it shows 19, there is definitely something wrong with the tire unless someone released the air on purpose.

You should give that "higher up" person a call tmr and ask him to give you 1 more tire cuz you cant have 3 old tire with 1 new tire.

My co worker just bought 1 new OE tire for his Y (the co worker above who got the flat) and it wasnt cheap. good thing his car is new, so he doesnt have the same issue.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:04 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
if i recall correctly, Y's tires are supposed to have something like 40ish psi. If it shows 19, there is definitely something wrong with the tire unless someone released the air on purpose.

You should give that "higher up" person a call tmr and ask him to give you 1 more tire cuz you cant have 3 old tire with 1 new tire.

My co worker just bought 1 new OE tire for his Y (the co worker above who got the flat) and it wasnt cheap. good thing his car is new, so he doesnt have the same issue.
42psi which is what it was at....and the cause was the giant hex bolt sticking out my tire from them.

I may try and call...not sure if it will get my anywhere or not
Old 09-14-2022, 06:14 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I think it depends on the market you're in. When I had my BMW they gave a loaner for literally any service, you didn't even have to ask about it. That said, it was nearly a decade ago so there's that...
Recently my Audi had the evaporator go out on the AC. There was a TSB for it so a free fix. Bummer was, they had my car for 7 weeks waiting for parts on back order. No problem for me however, they gave me a brand new loaded Q3 to drive.

I cant think of one time with any of the 4 Audi's we have had where I didn't get a loaner when in for service.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:23 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
OK...

So I get to Tesla at 1:30PM to pick up my car. The person I speak with tells me my car is off site, and they will shuttle me over. So, I go take a seat. 20 minutes pass by and no ones comes to get me. I go back up front and say as much. The dude I spoke says they will and disappears. Another 10 minutes go by, and Im getting really frustrated. Someone who looks higher up comes as and starts asking people if they've been helped. I jump in loudly and say I've been waiting over 30 minutes for a shuttle to my car off site, and I have to pick up my kids from school, and that its bullshit I've had to wait that long. They apologize and say they'll someone right away.

I finally get a shuttle and we go to the site about 2 miles away. It's lower subterranean levels in a corporate parks parking garage (common in LA for car dealers to lease space like this). We get down to the levels where they have the customer cars, and my car is no where to be found. I manage to get some cell service, and low and behold my car says its back at the service center. So, now I'm pissed. I get back to the center, and I walk in and ask to speak with a manager or supervisor. The guy says he's the one to talk to so now I get loud. I say its been almost a fucking hour, no one there knew where my car was, and I still have to get my fucking kids. This is ridiculous and bullshit. The person says I'm absolutely right and asked me to describe who initially helped me. I did and he knew exactly who it was and just shook his head. Apparently, they ask customers upon arrival to open their app to see which location has their car. I apologize for being "that guy" but I'm pissed, and he says I should be that guy and I have every right. Placation and deescalation, I get it. But he's very helpful. He's says he put in the notes to give me a free annual inspection for my troubles (whatever the hell that entails...) They pull my car around, I check to make sure my charger is in it, etc. I get in the driver seat and......LOW TIRE PRESSURE WARNING....19psi front left tire. I get right out of the car. The guy comes out and says I saw you get out, what's wrong? I tell him, and he rushes a guy to take my car and fill the tire. As thats happening I look at him and say if its a flat I'm coming right back. To which he replies "of course"

Car pulls back around, tire is full, and off I go to finally get my kids from school. On the freeway I hear this tink, tink, tink, tink. Roll down my window and its coming from the front driver side tire...Great. When I get to my kids school I get out and there is a giant fucking bolt with spacer embedded in my tire. I guess too much to ask that someone notice the warning alert...let alone give the tire a once over when they put air in it...I get the kids and drive straight back to tesla...Hey guess what guys, one of your bolts is right in my tire.

They take it back repair and say it'll be about 45 min...as I'm waiting the guy comes out and says, "Good news, I talked to the higher ups and they are going to goodwill this repair" to which I said, "Yeah, of course you are, you guys are responsible for it."

About 45min (its now 5:00PM) later they pull my around, and the guys says the techs just decided to give me a new tire. OK, not bad. In the end they did make it up to me.

BUT NOW....I have 3 tires with 20k miles on them. And one new tire...And I'm wondering if I shouldn't go buy one tire to match the wear up with....which of course means this ordeal still ended up costing me money...

Dude, I would have lost it. As an Engineer who has been in Quality Management for most all of my career I have no patience whatsoever when it comes to shit like you have described. Back in the day when I had my Mazdaspeed 6 I had a similar episode with the dealer. I ended up writing Mazda USA and demanding a written corrective action for what I went through. They actually answered me and described the changes they were making in there service policies for cars 12 miles outside the warranty window and refunded me the money I had spent on a new throw-out bearing install.

My wife was impressed.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:59 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
OK...

This is ridiculous, but I've had worse experiences with Toyota.

I doubt you'll get anywhere getting them to replace the other tire, but if there's anything in the owners manual about replacing pairs, I'd use that to push them to replace the other one.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:56 AM
Ex-OEM King

OK...

This is a shitty experience but not all that different from any other dealership to be honest. The issue with Tesla is they have like1-2 service advisors and usually they both do the part ordering/scheduling stuff. Actually helping people with things falls on the idiots at the front desk who almost always suck and are completely not knowledgeable at all whatsoever. They've gotten to the point where they are playing the game of "people will buy this no matter how shitty the service is" and, for now, that's true but it's going to change in the very near future.

The one and only service center experience I've had was taking my car in for a squeaking sound coming from the rear. I thought it was a suspension bushing or ball joint but whatever. I booked an appointment via app (easy), took the car in, tech grabbed it right away and wanted to go for a drive for me to duplicate the sound, he confirmed it, took it to the shop, diagnosed it as a faulty rear seat fold bushing, replaced it, and noise gone. In and out in less than an hour.

The big thing is that I went to one of the newer and less travelled service centers in my area so they aren't full of morons like the bigger one which is the same distance but in the opposite direction. There are TONS of horror stories about that location but the new one is fantastic.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 09-14-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,154 Posts
Some good news.

Did they give any indication on the invoice what the repair would have cost outside of warranty?
Old 09-14-2022, 11:57 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by doopstr
Did they give any indication on the invoice what the repair would have cost outside of warranty?
No. The quote came 0.00
Old 09-14-2022, 01:12 PM
Team Owner

time to get some new wheels and new tires
Old 09-15-2022, 12:04 AM
The Third Ball

I went back to Tesla today and stated my case to hopefully get another tire.

I saw the guy from yesterday who was very helpful. The problem with Tesla is they submit everything via tickets on the computer. Every time I ask to see a manager or supervisor it would appear there are none on site...or they have strict orders to never be bothered.

So, I have to hope that the service advisor's note to read up on the notes from the other tickets (which spell out all the issues I had) will come back in 24-48 hours with a "yes we'll give you in anew tire" But even they said its pretty out of the ordinary.

If they say no. I'll try and call Tesla corporate and see if I can't actually speak to someone in charge. Otherwise, fuck it dude, lets go bowling.
oonowindoo (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

I went back to Tesla today and stated my case to hopefully get another tire.

I saw the guy from yesterday who was very helpful. The problem with Tesla is they submit everything via tickets on the computer. Every time I ask to see a manager or supervisor it would appear there are none on site...or they have strict orders to never be bothered.

So, I have to hope that the service advisor's note to read up on the notes from the other tickets (which spell out all the issues I had) will come back in 24-48 hours with a "yes we'll give you in anew tire" But even they said its pretty out of the ordinary.

If they say no. I'll try and call Tesla corporate and see if I can't actually speak to someone in charge. Otherwise, fuck it dude, lets go bowling.

That is the right attitude How much meat do the other 3 tires have left?

Most of my friends who have Model Y (or 3) rarely exceed 20k on stock tires. Maybe it is time to get new ones anyway?
Old 09-15-2022, 01:00 PM

Get your bowling shoes ready.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

ask to Speak to Elon!!! or maybe ask Comfy to relay the message?
Old 09-15-2022, 05:45 PM
The Third Ball

That is the right attitude How much meat do the other 3 tires have left? A

Most of my friends who have Model Y (or 3) rarely exceed 20k on stock tires. Maybe it is time to get new ones anyway?
they have about another 5k left one them. And I was interested in trying the new Goodyear EV specific tire. This kind of fucks that up.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

Get your bowling shoes ready.

ask to Speak to Elon!!! or maybe ask Comfy to relay the message?
Apparently he responsive to tweets. Though I don’t really twitter.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:30 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
So much for Toyota/Lexus's entry into the PHEV/EV market.

My two local Lexus dealers confirmed you can't even order a PHEV right now. I could walk in with a wheelbarrow full of cash and they could not sell me a car. Rav4 Prime same thing. No EVs to sell at all. And even a regular hybrid (like an NX 350h) is 6-9 months wait depending on how fancy you want it.

Going to drive a Volvo XC60 PHEV this weekend - at least you can get one of those in 1-3 months.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I decided it would be stupid to try to wrangle a car seat into the back of a 911, so I cancelled my orders and instead just place an order for a...

Model S Plaid. Should be here before the end of the year. I got a chance to sit in a buddy's Plaid and I was hooked. The acceleration is absolutely ungodly. It's not just a hard launcher; the car feels more impressive 50-100 than 0-50 if you can believe it. 0-60 in 2s undersells just how mind-blowingly fast it is.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
civicdrivr (09-16-2022), oonowindoo (09-19-2022), Sarlacc (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 05:20 PM

Continuous torque is addictive.
Sarlacc (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 05:23 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I decided it would be stupid to try to wrangle a car seat into the back of a 911, so I cancelled my orders and instead just place an order for a...

Model S Plaid. Should be here before the end of the year. I got a chance to sit in a buddy's Plaid and I was hooked. The acceleration is absolutely ungodly. It's not just a hard launcher; the car feels more impressive 50-100 than 0-50 if you can believe it. 0-60 in 2s undersells just how mind-blowingly fast it is.
i got to drive a X Plaid on a road trip and fuck me it’s a ridiculous car. If only I could afford one.

also biting the bullet and having a charger installed Monday. Someone else in the building is getting one and did all the legwork and planning/submissions etc so we’re piggy backing off them and getting a small discount from the electrician.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
00TL-P3.2 (09-19-2022), 1Louder (09-16-2022), civicdrivr (09-16-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Had a chance to try one out while I wait for mine to be built. Only 35% SOC, but it still did a a 0-60 in 2.25s with rollout. It actually does feel even faster and more ridiculous than the Model X Plaid. This was without using dragstrip mode and no launch control wizardry. Absolutely insane. It legitimately scares me.

The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
civicdrivr (09-20-2022), Sarlacc (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 05:19 PM
The Third Ball

So, Tesla is basically telling me to go fuck myself with the other tire.

And the biggest take away from talking to support is that there is no way to climb the ladder or go over peoples heads. And decisions end at the manger level at the individual service centers. regional managers have nothing to do with them.

It's a fucked up system and I told them as much. And I still never got to speak directly to any kind of Manager at the service center.

I think I am deciding to just ride this tire out until the other 3 are ready to replace. Then, I'm going to replace all 4 with the new Goodyear EV specific tires and I'll keep the newish one as a spare/backup.

But as much as I love my Tesla this is a huge black mark on them. Probably never would have had to deal with it had they not canceled the home appt on me...but lesson learned. Avoid service visits if at all possible.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:17 PM

Well I know it's not exactly what this thread is for, but just placed an order for a 2023 Lexus NX 350h (standard hybrid). The plug-in hybrids you can actually get in 2-3 months aren't the ones I want, and the ones I want you basically can't get in 2023. So I'm going to roll with 39 mpg for a few years while the supply chain catches up and some of this vaper-ware we see hits the show rooms. I'm hoping that by 2026 or so there will be an EV with 400ish miles of range which may cure my range anxiety enough to pull the trigger. Maybe SSB EVs will be coming on the market.

Still have to wait 6 damn months for the regular hybrid.
civicdrivr (09-20-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 07:54 AM

Received 5,419 Likes on 3,709 Posts
^ My dad did similar & got an order in for a '23 Maverick XLT Hybrid. Their house/town is pretty rural, so the 40MPG will do just fine for him.
He's currently DDing a Mini Vert that he picked up for dirt cheap. 30MPG there, still better than the 16 in his 6.2 V8 Denali.
1Louder (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 548 Likes on 348 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ My dad did similar & got an order in for a '23 Maverick XLT Hybrid. Their house/town is pretty rural, so the 40MPG will do just fine for him.
He's currently DDing a Mini Vert that he picked up for dirt cheap. 30MPG there, still better than the 16 in his 6.2 V8 Denali.
I know someone who placed an order for the exact same car in November of 21. He's being told he will have the car sometime in 2023.

I am trying to get a RAV4 Hybrid but all the dealers near me have a markup.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I don't know if he was given a build estimate.
Maybe he'll get his Mav before @Chief F1 Fan gets his 911
Old 09-21-2022, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
I know someone who placed an order for the exact same car in November of 21. He's being told he will have the car sometime in 2023.

I am trying to get a RAV4 Hybrid but all the dealers near me have a markup.
Curious do they even have any to buy? Or are they orders for now? It's the same platform as the NX 350h which is why I ask.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:57 AM

I think he meant the Maverick, in which case, it's getting a dealer build allocation.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 548 Likes on 348 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
Curious do they even have any to buy? Or are they orders for now? It's the same platform as the NX 350h which is why I ask.
Sorry, I had two comments in one. The first one I was talking about my friend getting the Ford Maverick. He has had one on order since November of 2021. When will he get it? Who knows?

I myself really want the RAV4 Hybrid. We have some dealers that are getting some or have a couple, but they're all over MSRP, which is not something I am willing to do. Toyota doesn't even take orders. They just put you on a list and you have to wait until your dealer gets the car you want. My local dealer even has a Prime model, but I know they're doing markups so I can't even imagine what those are going for.
1Louder (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

So, Tesla is basically telling me to go fuck myself with the other tire.

And the biggest take away from talking to support is that there is no way to climb the ladder or go over peoples heads. And decisions end at the manger level at the individual service centers. regional managers have nothing to do with them.

It's a fucked up system and I told them as much. And I still never got to speak directly to any kind of Manager at the service center.

I think I am deciding to just ride this tire out until the other 3 are ready to replace. Then, I'm going to replace all 4 with the new Goodyear EV specific tires and I'll keep the newish one as a spare/backup.

But as much as I love my Tesla this is a huge black mark on them. Probably never would have had to deal with it had they not canceled the home appt on me...but lesson learned. Avoid service visits if at all possible.
if u r set on the Goodyear EV tires, then i think that is the way to go. Just ride it out but you might wanna go easy on the acceleration cuz of the uneven traction
But if you are gonna use that as a spare, are you going to buy a donut to fit it? cuz it defeats the purpose as a spare if it is not fit on a wheel.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:51 PM
The Third Ball

if u r set on the Goodyear EV tires, then i think that is the way to go. Just ride it out but you might wanna go easy on the acceleration cuz of the uneven traction
But if you are gonna use that as a spare, are you going to buy a donut to fit it? cuz it defeats the purpose as a spare if it is not fit on a wheel.
actually I might just try and sell it as a used to tire to someone on the Tesla groups.

And my charger install is delayed. The DCC box is back ordered for at least another week.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:40 PM
The Third Ball

Was next to a Caddy Lyriq and a Rivian RS1 today. First time seeing the RS1 in the wild. 2nd time seeing the Lyriq.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:36 AM

The Lyriq does nothing for me. But the Rivian
Old 09-26-2022, 09:02 AM

Spotted an Air on the highway last week, they were exiting when I saw it, so no time to snap a photo. Think that's the 3rd (could have all been the same car) that I've seen on the road here.
Was really close to the Lucid 'dealer' here in N Houston, which is in the same strip center as a large Tesla showroom.

Quick Reply: Are you considering an EV yet?