yet another RSX test drive story

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 04:44 PM
Scooby Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another RSX test drive story

Unfortunately, they didn't have any Type S's for driving since they've all been sold.

Anyway, it's a very nice car. You know that the interior materials aren't high budget yet they manage to feel nice. They really concentrated on the details in the cabin, from the wannabe Alfa HVAC vents to the matching window switch surrounds and door handles. The dark red RSX-S in the showroom looked stunning with the factory bodykit. Makes the Integra look like an old hunk of junk.

As for driving dynamics, the base car feels very Honda-like. The shifter feels wonderful (although with a skinny shiftknob, which is rather pretty)... you'd never know it was a cable operated unit. Too bad the clutch is the lightest thing I've ever felt. No feel whatsoever. These features, along with the nice interior treatments and auto HVAC, make it a wonderful commuter car, which I'm sure a lot of people will buy it for.

The steering also is incredibly light but precise. I didn't get to take any corners with it when I was driving, but when my wife took it around a highway onramp, the cornering forces were enough to scare me yet the tires didn't complain. The seats look like leather-clad Recaros but the wife complained that they're flat and very hard.

I won't make any judgments on acceleration because it was in the 100's with heat index, the A/C was going so we wouldn't die, and there were 3 people in the car. 160hp in those conditions doesn't cut it. Besides, the car had 2 miles on it when we took it out.

If anybody in the North Jersey/NYC area is interested in driving one, go to Park Ave Acura in Maywood & ask for Joe. He's a really funny guy and he seems to be a car guy too, not just a sleazy salesman who just needs a job. He didn't even try to give me a price or his card.

Oh, and there was an RX7 with 50k mi for $17k in the lot and a handful of NSX's and even a BMW Z8!
Old 08-10-2001, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

next time i go in for service i am requesting an rsx -s
Old 08-10-2001, 07:48 PM
Scooby Guru

Well, according to Joe, they've sold all their RSX-S's for the next few months, so that may not be anytime soon.