Would you buy a 2001 BMW 325i or a 2001 Grand Prix GTP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Buckle Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW all the way. My dads GTP is fast as hell but has the worst brakes and steering in the world. Not worth the troubles.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:36 PM
hater

Have you seen that other Pontiac Web site?

www.greyplastic.com

Old 01-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Powered By HONDA

i would want to buy a used e 36 M3...or a brand new impreza wrx.. sorry out of your topic..but i will not buy neither of those two cars ..
Old 01-06-2002, 11:17 PM
I love my CL-S

Originally posted by Type S
i would want to buy a used e 36 M3...or a brand new impreza wrx.. sorry out of your topic..but i will not buy neither of those two cars ..
hey Chris im with you
Old 01-07-2002, 12:29 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Is this thread a joke????
While were at it what would you buy a Lotus Esprit or a Ford F150??? OR how about Kia Sephia or a Chrysler Town & Country?? Keep your panies on Pontiac board transplants!! It's just a thread.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:41 AM
Chief Snoop XX Inspector

What would you do if you were handed the keys to a Pontiac Grand Prix? Sell it for a quick 10k and upgrade the new 325 for the 330
Old 01-07-2002, 04:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
yuppiemobile
Old 01-07-2002, 07:52 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I'll add my 2

Good:
BMW 3-series
http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle...html/00006.htm

Acceptable:
Grand Prix
http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle...html/96027.htm

Bad:
Grand Am
http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle...html/99026.htm

Pontiac can not even compare to the saftey of the BMW. 6 airbags, Dynamic Stability control, Dynamic Brake Control, Head Protection System, ...

If you drive in the real world and value your safety, BMW.

If all you care about is going fast in a straight line, think you are Superman, get the GTP.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:09 AM
6 speed...

Re: F*** you all

Originally posted by DRWBRTq19
Yes lets asume that they are equal price..... the bottom line NAVY battleship or the top of the line speed boat.... which would you chose? When you compare apples to oranges you can't decide because the differences are to extreme. If I had the money to buy a bottom of the line BMW (bimmer.... What the FUCK is that?) I WOULDNT. I've got you beat in HP, Torque, ETC.... What exactlly DO YOU HAVE ME IN? MPG ? Wow you got you got me by 2 mpg in the city.... and only 1 on the high way... so while I see you in MY rear veiw miorror you are saving gas. I'm so proud of you. Damn I wish I had a BIMMER now. (Oh BTW I paid less too) Love to hear from ya
why do you morons insist on dredging up dead and buried threads?

where were all you fucks six months ago when all this nonsense actually took place?
Old 01-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally posted by z28typeSWRXkid
You guys are all fricken brain washed....the 325?!?!?! over a 280lbs of tourque sleeper?
325 = 2.5 liters...jesus christ how much power could that have?? And about the Pontiac being a pos it isnt...my dad had one for 3 years no problems except for brake rotors...id like to see a 325 do that
Do you realize that Pontiac/GM has had brake rotor problems on that car for 10 YEARS?

That's why I'd never buy one. Things break and they don't fix them.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:59 AM
BMW Owner

Check out all the illiterate Pontiac owners

Originally posted by Loreraven
The GTP out classes the 325.
Wow. I'm stunned. I'm experiencing right now what psychologists call jamais vu -- "never saw". It's a feeling of shock and disorientation at witnessing for the first time something you would have never considered possible. In fact, I'll have to repeat it several times, just to get a sense of what he actually said:

The worst car company in the world outclasses the best. Cheap American crap outclasses fine German machinery. Well, at least Pontiac owners are loyal...to a fault...
Old 01-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Banned

Well... the 325 is $36,000 and the GTP is $25,000, I'd have to go with the pontiac... I simply can't afford a BMW...
Everyone would seem to agree even with the SC it is a reliable drivetrain, so I'll stand corrected on that issue from the other thread. The GPP seems like a pretty good deal, now that I look at the specs.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Racer

I still scratch my head when I see posts like this. What person had not been screwed enough by a domestic car to even consider driving to a Pontiac dealer? Granted you have to make the right decision for yourself but also think about the status the car has first. Anyone ever read the book Silence of the Lambs? In describing the neighborhood of one of the victims, the author talks about there being Camaro and Firebirds and calling them "middle-class cars." Ever since I read that I just can't look at the cars as anything else. I'm not saying the Grand Prix is in the same class, but when you look at the typical person who drives a Grand Prix and the typical person who drives a BMW, I don't think you'd find many similarities. But hey, buy what you like and screw what other people think! I drive a car the color of butterscotch pudding.....
Old 01-07-2002, 05:20 PM
6th Gear

It's amazing how people who spend more on their car think they're better than people who don't.

I love the look of my GTP. I like the looks of the new BMWs. I HATE the look of Acuras. Does that mean that Acuras are crap? Nope. Does it mean that Acura or BMW owners are better than me because I didn't want to purchase that type of vehicle? I don't think so! I could have bought an M3, or a CL Type S, or a Mercedes C320! But, I didn't.

What I have noticed is that enthusiasts for Acura CLs are FAR outnumbered by Grand Prix GTP enthusiasts. In my opinion this is because most Acura owners consider their vehicles more of a status symbol than something to enjoy driving. (note: you guys are obviously enjoying your vehicles).

You guys should spend less time bashing other cars, and more time promoting your club. Nobody gets respect by being an ass.

- JC
Old 01-07-2002, 05:32 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd buy the best car for the money. It has all of the options you could think of.........a CL TYPE S72 point
Old 01-07-2002, 05:52 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by JCHoefer
It's amazing how people who spend more on their car think they're better than people who don't.

I love the look of my GTP. I like the looks of the new BMWs. I HATE the look of Acuras. Does that mean that Acuras are crap? Nope. Does it mean that Acura or BMW owners are better than me because I didn't want to purchase that type of vehicle? I don't think so! I could have bought an M3, or a CL Type S, or a Mercedes C320! But, I didn't.

What I have noticed is that enthusiasts for Acura CLs are FAR outnumbered by Grand Prix GTP enthusiasts. In my opinion this is because most Acura owners consider their vehicles more of a status symbol than something to enjoy driving. (note: you guys are obviously enjoying your vehicles).

You guys should spend less time bashing other cars, and more time promoting your club. Nobody gets respect by being an ass.

- JC
more proselytizing from a one post wonder...

(you gtp boys sure are doing a bang up job of beating this horse to death... )
Old 01-07-2002, 07:50 PM
6th Gear

Yes...but I'm sure if we were bashing your car some of your members would do the same.

I have been reading a lot of the other posts and seeing what your board is all about. Overall I'm impressed....though an "elitist" attitude does rear it's head from time to time.

One post wonder or not, I've at least posted a somewhat constructive comment.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Banned

- JC

I respectfully disagree. If any cars are overpriced and thought of as status symbols its BMW, followed by Mercedes. Just look at the price differences. Over $33,000 for a 3 liter on the BMW?
I don't understand how you can say we bought our cars as status symbols, while BMW and Mercedes makes with similar specs are massively overpriced. Where's the logic?
Old 01-07-2002, 09:26 PM
6th Gear

Acura is considered the luxury version of Honda. Kinda like Cadillac is to Chevy, Infinity is to Mazda, etc.

The TL series ranges from ~$28,500 to $32,500 (MSRP). And the TL-S has a MSRP of $30,860 (w/o nav system). It has a 3.2l, right? And I think the TL has an excellent price-point for what you get. I never discounted that BMW and MB were overpriced.

I was trying to point out that many (not all) Acura TL buyers purchase the car to impress people, and not to take advantage of it's performance traits.

Sure there are GTP owners that don't care about the performance. But the ratio of "enthusiasts" (ie people who enjoy the capabilities of the car) to "non-enthusiasts, is higher among the GP crowd.

That's not to say that you guys won't change that! But, the "greater-than-thou" attitude displayed by some of your members in this post is not helpful.

Imagine being a potential TL buyer and reading this thread.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by sigs21

Bimmer, and not the fat bitch car...

------------------
01- Acura CL silver 3.2-s
20% tint 35%front window
Bose Mods.. Mod's to come headers and springs
This is hilarious, I have seen 3 fat women ie 250 lbs plus in GTP's. They fucking suck!

However, it is terribly ironic to see the entire population here bash the GTP when pit up against the 325, yet stick up for it when I pit it against OUR car, the CLS!! in my thread "An example of Honda wizadry in the awesome CLS".

Does everyone desire a bimmer in their subconcious?

hmmm

Old 01-07-2002, 09:31 PM
6th Gear

Originally posted by BusGradCLS

This is hilarious, I have seen 3 fat women ie 250 lbs plus in GTP's. They fucking suck!

However, it is terribly ironic to see the entire population here bash the GTP when pit up against the 325, yet stick up for it when I pit it against OUR car, the CLS!! in my thread "An example of Honda wizadry in the awesome CLS".

Does everyone desire a bimmer in their subconcious?

hmmm

And I'm sure if I looked I would see the same in the CL series.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:32 PM
6th Gear

Acura is considered the luxury version of Honda. Kinda like Cadillac is to Chevy, Infinity is to Mazda, etc.

The TL series ranges from ~$28,500 to $32,500 (MSRP). And the TL-S has a MSRP of $30,860 (w/o nav system). It has a 3.2l, right? And I think the TL has an excellent price-point for what you get. I never discounted that BMW and MB were overpriced.

I was trying to point out that many (not all) Acura TL buyers purchase the car to impress people, and not to take advantage of it's performance traits.

Sure there are GTP owners that don't care about the performance. But the ratio of "enthusiasts" (ie people who enjoy the capabilities of the car) to "non-enthusiasts, is higher among the GP crowd.

That's not to say that you guys won't change that! But, the "greater-than-thou" attitude displayed by some of your members in this post is not helpful.

Excuse my brain fart. I kept writing "TL" instead of "CL". Sorry.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Banned

[/i]

Yeah... and many not all Mercury Sable owners have seen UFOs....
Many, but not all CL owners have had sex in the past month...
Many, but not all GTP owners have seen Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Many, but not all ML320 owners fold down the rear seats...
Many, but not all Chevy Malibu owners have kids.
Many, but not all Mercury Cougar owners have seen Britney Spears...

What are you trying to say? There are some people that do this, and somepeople that do that? Thanks for the editorial. Let me know when you discover the Earth is Round.

What are you basing that on? There are more Pontiacs out there than Acuras... The CL has been around for how long?

Imagine being a potential GTP buyer and seeing this graph...

That graph should persuade anyone mroe than a few people on this board.
What about the 'greater than thou' attitude from Mercedes owners? Why did you single the CL out?
Old 01-07-2002, 09:55 PM
6 speed...

of course, you meant to type "... Infiniti is to Nissan...," right?
Old 01-07-2002, 10:26 PM
6th Gear

TankMonkey: Yeah....LOL. So damned many brands!

Scorpius: Amazing. You proved my point about some of the people in this thread. Thanks.

I'll leave you elitists to ponder how much better you are than other car owners.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

Too bad they could still smoke you in a race []
Old 01-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Banned

TankMonkey: Yeah....LOL. So damned many brands!

Scorpius: Amazing. You proved my point about some of the people in this thread. Thanks.

I'll leave you elitists to ponder how much better you are than other car owners.

Lets look at the facts... you com onto another car board and complain about us? Who's looking like an ass now?
I will also prove there are some GTP owners that are homosexual. Thanks for proving that. Seriously, what was your point?

I already said in another thread that'd I'd buy the GTP over the 325... What more do you want?
Old 01-08-2002, 08:29 AM
6 speed...

Originally posted by animuL

Too bad they could still smoke you in a race []
lol!

I'd be laughing too hard to race them anyway...

I once saw a couple of, ah, 'large' women riding two up on a cbr900rr (with extended swingarm and dropped forks, drag style) in a wal-mart parking lot in arkansas (where else?) during a motorcycle road trip and I almost t-boned a shopping cart because I was laughing so hard...

at least they were riding, though.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Scorpius: you are a genius

FYI

Motortrend

CLS: 0-60 6.4

GTP: 0-60 6.8
Old 01-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally posted by GrandPrix
For all you dumb fu$#s that would take a BMW over a GTP, lets see some time slips and ET's! I will take any 3 series on the strip or street without blinking and eye.

As far as all you saying that you have had Pontiacs in the past, say an 89 Grand Am, that is by far no comparison to a 2000 GTP!

Get a life, and get a REAL car!

Who cares about ETs? Take some Ritalin.

In three years you'll be lucky to get 40% of the MSRP of a GP, but the BMW will be at least 60%.

I sold GPs. My mom drove a '93. With the exception of the Vette and perhaps the DeVille DTS, GM does not make good passenger cars.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Midnight Marauder

GTP looks like a slug with a bodykit.

BMW looks very nice. CL looks nice too, not as good as a BMW though.

If money wasn't an option I'd buy the bimmer. Who the h*** wants a pontiac? They are the same people who think that the best high performance cars only turn left...
Old 01-08-2002, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by BusGradCLS
Scorpius: you are a genius

FYI

Motortrend

CLS: 0-60 6.4

GTP: 0-60 6.8

Alright...
How about checking out the BMW forums? Hmm? See how they tear up your little GTP there...
Old 01-09-2002, 04:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
No matter what anyone says, we all know the real truth. Just do the chick magnet test, and you'll see the acura owners aint no dummies. Goddamn my seats are comfy.

Oh, by the way my car is pretty fucking fast too.

And also, me and my friends used to really want gtp's, years ago. Watch out if they do a redesign, hopefully the aztec guy isn't involved. You might end up w/ a tent in your trunk.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by mattg

And also, me and my friends used to really want gtp's, years ago. Watch out if they do a redesign, hopefully the aztec guy isn't involved. You might end up w/ a tent in your trunk.
hahaha i still cant believe they made that car. I wouldnt buy a GTP, it looks alright but its no acura. heck i would get an accord before a GTP
Old 01-09-2002, 09:06 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

LMAO!

Old 01-09-2002, 10:00 AM
Banned

Someone lock this dumbass thread! This one is just getting annoying now.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:00 AM
3rd Gear

Originally posted by DRWBRTq19
Yes lets asume that they are equal price..... the bottom line NAVY battleship or the top of the line speed boat.... which would you chose? When you compare apples to oranges you can't decide because the differences are to extreme. If I had the money to buy a bottom of the line BMW (bimmer.... What the FUCK is that?) I WOULDNT. I've got you beat in HP, Torque, ETC.... What exactlly DO YOU HAVE ME IN? MPG ? Wow you got you got me by 2 mpg in the city.... and only 1 on the high way... so while I see you in MY rear veiw miorror you are saving gas. I'm so proud of you. Damn I wish I had a BIMMER now. (Oh BTW I paid less too) Love to hear from ya

As we mature, we find that fit, finish, handling, and overall quality are more important than straight line acceleration. You will find out no matter how quick the GTP is, there are PLENTY of cars (some coming from the GM Stable: Z-28, Formula Firebird, etc) that will EAT it for breakfast, so as I said, speed isn't everything.
I am not putting down American cars, but they are not up to the build quality of the Germans. We slap cars together, and Germany (and to a lesser extent, Japan) BUILDS cars--look under the hood of a Pontiac or Chevy and you will see an engine that looks "tossed in". (I know--I have a Lumina Z34--fun but not high quality) and compare it with a TL Series Acura, an Audi S4, or a BMW, where the engine layout is a cut above. Go on further to check the fit and finish of the lights, doors, etc. and you will find why many Pontiac owners are complaining about poor resale value--it's not that GM makes a "BAD" car, but the General would do well to address the issue of quality. You can take a big motor and stuff it in a Sh!tbox, but that doesn't make for a classy ride. BMW makes a class statement with the M3, Chevrolet makes one with the Corvette, Honda with the S-2000. These are driving machines, not just cars...
America will be back in the lead when Europe and Japan are copying AMERICA'S designs, and not the other way around. With few exceptions, America is building merely competent, but not exceptional automobiles, but look at how the quality has improved on an American car compared with 10-12 years ago--we got the tools, and we have the talent, but we have to use 'em!
Old 01-19-2002, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by M5 Lite
Someone lock this dumbass thread! This one is just getting annoying now.
Dammit listen to M5 Lite for once!