Worried about Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 11:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Worried about Nissan?

I seem to be reading a lot of posts that mention Nissan/Infiniti doing this and Nissan/Infiniti doing that and if Acura can keep up.

Well, looking at things from a more objective view (yes, I have an Acura, but no, the brand means close to jack for me considering the way I was treated after I bought my car), I don't see too much to worry about concerning Nissan/Infiniti.

The new I30 always had more hp than the tl (prior to the tl-s, 227 vs 225). Yet the tl did much better.

The Maxima (some consider more upscale than the Accord or Camry) also had more horses than the Accord or Camry, yet didn't do as well either (disregarding the manual 'cuz that is negligible in this class).

Infiniti now has a new Q, probably defining it's luxury position better, but it's always had a Q (w/ a v8)...but Acura's supposedly getting a real flagship soon too...and an exotic to boot! (and hopefully Acura will do with the legend/rl what it did with the MDX, arrive late, but better).

I guess the thing is though, that Nissan/Infiniti is going to do a lot better (I'm happy, I own Nissan stock), but it's not going to be stomping on Toyota/Honda yet. It may join the duo and make it a trio of cars too confuse people even more on what to choose, but from several posts here and Edmunds and others, they sort of imply that Nissan is a company to fear, which I don't believe is so.

It takes more than additional power to increase sales (why do you think people like the pt neon..i mean cruisers?).

That's just my opinion, and that's all I have to say about that.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:01 AM
Suzuka Master

And another thing, I hope Nissan (esp. INfiniti) does well jsut so I have more choices for my next car (yes, my mouth is still sour from L.V. Acura).
Old 04-15-2001, 12:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More competition will just make things better (at least it usually does), so we should all benefit.

-- Bring it on --

I have a feeling Acura has a lot of spare firepower to bring out if they are pushed.

(and that is just my opinion)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-15-2001, 12:17 AM
Suzuka Master

This is the thing that sucks with Honda/Acura though...they don't say anything!

They let out a tiny peep about something exciting (260hp cl-s) and then nothing until like a month before introduction.

Every other make you hear about and see prototypes and etc. etc. way before the model is introduced.

I don't know which way is better, but I know the way that pisses some people off though.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrdeeno,

I agree with you. Nissan/Infinity will not pose a real threat to Toyota/Honda/Acura until they can come out with a design that will captivate the audience. Nissan/Infinity has excellent power plants, but bland or bizarre vehicular design that does not appeal to the mass.

I believe the reason why the PT Cruiser is a hit, despite being a Neon base vehicle is due to the unique, yet tasteful and nostalgic design. Who says "Looks isn't everything" is wrong .

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 04-15-2001, 10:39 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Granted I understand your frustration with Acura/Honda and their silence on new product but remember these companies have alot at stake with new cars so the less people know about their plans the better it is for them.It will be interesting to see what direction Nissan goes next with their reinvention of themselves.Having owned (and missing it dearly) a Nissan car I can't wait for the new Z to make it's debut.Another thing that is worth watching is MOTOREX'S success with gray market Skylines.there is a persistent rumor that Nissan is getting fed up with the idea that their premiere supercar is being imported to the U.S. via the gray market talents of MOTOREX.It would seem Nissan would like to bring the car in under their Infiniti nameplate.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on