Wife Car Totaled. Enter Carnote Land

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
Wife Car Totaled. Enter Carnote Land

Thursday a young (inexperienced) driver decided it was a good idea to pull out from a secondary street onto the main street (no traffic light) in front of my wife. I'm not going to go into the details of the story, but let me tell you, I was so glad that my wife and 18 month old were both fine. The wife just has the usual airbag bruises and there is not a scratch on kiddo.

Without further ado here is what ensued

We already miss the Tribute What a SOLID vehicle! 6 years old, always serviced by the dealership, detailed by me, not a rattle to speak of and drove like new. Oh, and paid for.

To make a longer story short we started looking for replacement vehicle right away. The list of finalists:

2009 Lexus RX350 (Pebble Beach Edition)
2008 Mazda CX-7
2008 Volvo XC90

Well, that's until we went to the (gulp) BMW dealership. We were looking for anything other than a Beemer, but as you may have already guessed by the language we signed the dotted line for a 2007 X3 Sport. My wife and I are not BMW fans at all, but this car was a degree or two better than the finalist and (as all people say that just bought a new car) the deal was sweet. I could not walk away from it.

We pick up the car on Monday after the detail it and we finalize the paperwork. I'll post pictures later. If you've read this far and want to know the details, here they are:

CPO

Exterior color:
White

Interior color:
Black

Outside goodies:
Xenon, adaptable headlight, halos
19" sport wheels (wrapped in new Pirellis)

Inside goodies:
DVD player w/ dual screens in headrests
Panaramic moonroof w/ double tilt
Bluetooth

Other notables:
Not a scratch on it
Classic BMW performance
Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
The X3 isn't a bad car at all. And if you got a good deal on it, you should be happy. Your wife should appreciate the X3's smaller dimensions. Be happy!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The X3 is a good car, and competes highly in its class. I've never received a ride in one, but I have had a ride in the same year X5 and the suspension on those X5's are bumpy as shit. Not that comfortable of a ride. And I am a huge Bimmer fan.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
wow, sorry for your loss and congrats to your gain.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
The X3 is a good car, and competes highly in its class. I've never received a ride in one, but I have had a ride in the same year X5 and the suspension on those X5's are bumpy as shit. Not that comfortable of a ride. And I am a huge Bimmer fan.
I hear on the X5 suspension thing. Suprisingly the X3 has a much better ride than X5. You should test drive one.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by asianspec
wow, sorry for your loss and congrats to your gain.
thank you.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Glad your wife and child are fine. Any injuries to the other driver?

Terry
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by teranfon
Glad your wife and child are fine. Any injuries to the other driver?

Terry
He was unharmed as well, and also dignified enough to apologize.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Rooting for Acura

Here is a review of the X3 3.0si

source: http://www.epinions.com/review/2007_...t_401684860548

In my initial review of the BMW X3 a few years ago, I was disappointed by its exterior styling, interior materials, and the fact that it was no more practical than a 3-Series wagon yet wasn't nearly as much fun to drive.

For the 2007 model year, the X3 received a mid-cycle freshening. A 260-horsepower 3.0-liter inline six, more powerful than either of the previous engines, is now the only engine. The exterior appearance was updated, and the interior was upgraded. Finally, the suspension was tweaked to address complaints about an overly firm ride.

How successful are the changes? I took the revised BMW X3 for a test drive to find out.

Styling

The lines of the exterior remain nothing special. The new X5 is a more attractively styled vehicle. But with the revised Sport Package the X3 looks more car-like (to be specific, more like a tall 3-Series), sportier, and more worth its price tag. The Sport Package contributes not only larger, sportier 18-inch wheels, but bolder body-color fascias and rocker panels. For aesthetic reasons alone you want it. For best appearance (but the firmest ride), step up to the optional 19-inch wheels.

Inside the styling remains much the same, but the materials on the center console and door panels have been upgraded. It's still about the most downscale ambiance you'll find in a BMW, but it is an improvement.

Accommodations

The driving position is high above a relatively low instrument panel and upright, but isn't as high as in a large conventional SUV. The A-pillars aren't as upright as in the first-generation X5. So while the view forward is expansive and you're clearly not in a car, the X3 still feels somewhat sporty from the driver's seat. The driving position in Acura's RDX is similar.

The Sport Package includes a more heavily bolstered seat, but unlike in the 3-Series the bolsters are not adjustable. So for those without husky builds they're a bit widely spaced. The firm, well-shaped seat is supportive and comfortable, but not luxurious. For a more comfortable seat, I'd advise stepping up to the optional "comfort seats"--except that these aren't available with the Sport Package.

The rear seat remains too low to the floor to provide adults with proper thigh support, but provides enough space for a couple of adults. As in any compact SUV, three would be a squeeze.

When BMW redesigned its larger SUV, the X5, this year they enlarged it to fit a (very cramped) optional third row, but room in the first two rows, and especially legroom, remained much the same. This surprised me, as the old X5 offered little more legroom than the X3. If BMW is going to offer two SUVs, why not make the size difference between them larger?

As it is, the largest difference continues to be shoulder room. The X5's cabin is about four inches broader, a substantial difference. So when in the driver's seat, the X5 feels much larger, while the X3 feels more compact and agile. Get into the back seat, though, and the X5 feels nearly as compact.

Cargo space has been a secondary priority for BMW when designing its SUVs. Here the X3 and X5 offer about the same amount, which is around the compact SUV average. Acceptable for the X3, not so much for the X5.

On the Road

The BMW X3 and base BMW X5 are both powered by the same 260-horsepower 3.0-liter inline six. But, at 4,000 pounds, the X3 weighs a half-ton less than the X5. Not surprisingly, while the six feels merely adequate in the X5, it feels energetic in the X3. Shorter gear ratios than you'll find in a BMW sedan lend a hand, quickly boosting the engine into its powerband. That said, the turbo six now offered in the 3-Series and 5-Series would be an excellent fit here, as the current engine doesn't possess a stout low-end.

Though shift paddles attached to the steering wheel are not an option on the X3 (at least not yet), the transmission can be shifted manually by sliding the lever into a sport slot then tapping it back and forth. There's really very little need for this, though, as the six-speed automatic does an excellent job of selecting the appropriate gear on its own. For aggressive driving, just slip the lever into the sport slot and leave it there. This selects a sport transmission program that downshifts readily and avoids upshifting, so much so that you won't want to use this slot for everyday driving.

Compared to a 3-Series, the X3 handles like an SUV. But compared to just about any other SUV, it handles very sportily, with quick reflexes and excellent balance. The larger X5 feels unwieldy in comparison, especially when without the Sport Package. The only competitor that comes close in terms of handling is the Acura RDX. Like nearly every other BMW, it feels better the harder you push it. The steering wheel rim is very thick, which many people like but which I find reduces steering feel. Said feel is still quite good compared to other SUVs.

Ride quality has been an X3 weak spot. It's much improved in the 2007. Even with the Sport Package I found the ride at least as comfortable as in a Sport Packaged 3, with less busyness over patchy pavement than in other BMWs I've driven recently. The 2007 X3 did seem to roll a bit more in turns, but the improved ride is worth this trade-off.

Noise levels are moderately low. For a full luxury feel, though, BMW clearly wants you to step up to the X5.

BMW X3 Prices and Price Comparisons

A BMW X3 3.0si with Sport Package starts at $42,425, high for a compact SUV. But a similar X5 3.0si lists for over $9,000 more, only $2,000 is accounted for by a higher level of standard equipment. On the other hand, an Acura RDX lists for nearly $9,000 less. Drive them both, then decide whether the BMW is worth the extra outlay.

Prices change frequently, and differences will vary based on feature level. To quickly generate these and other comparisons with the specific features you want, visit my Web site, www.truedelta.com. (It's the only site that provides true "apples-to-apples" price comparisons.)

TrueDelta's page for the BMW X3:

http://www.truedelta.com/models/X3.php

Last Words

I enjoyed driving the BMW X3 more this time around, and also found it easier on the eyes. The handling felt taut, agile, and sporty, without a punishing ride. The X5 feels big and bulky in comparison.

I'd still personally prefer a 3-Series wagon, but for someone who requires an SUV but wants one that has the feel of a compact sport sedan, it's pretty much either this or the Acura RDX. The BMW handles better than the Acura, and with no turbo there's no turbo lag. But the Acura's interior is arguably nicer, and it's price is $9,000 lower. So while those who want the best possible performance out of a compact SUV will spend the extra for the BMW, most others will probably go with the Acura.

That said, neither has been a strong seller, suggesting that the market for upscale performance-oriented compact SUVs is rather limited.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Bimmerzine in full swing!

Happy to hear your wife and kid are safe!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,459 Likes on 4,980 Posts
Im not a fan of the X3 but Im happy your wife and child are ok.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree.. glad everyone was ok. Accidents do happen and luckily the cars today with crump zones and air bags save lives.

I wanted my wife to drive the X3 before we got her RDX but she loves her RDX. I think all the extras the RDX had vs the X3 did it for her.. she's a shoppin girl.

I think the X3's are fine, I like them better than the X5 since they redesigned it. What type of warranty did they give you on it.. and is it with maintenance?

Jay
Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Good to know that your family is okay. They were very lucky!

It is quite surprising that you decided to go with the X3 when your finalists weren't even in the same class. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Seems like the best cars are always the ones that get tagged but then again, cars are readily replaceable machines. People are priceless, one-of-a-kind entities. I'm glad everybody was okay and hopefully the kid learned a valuable lesson.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:29 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
wow, glad to see the wife and kid are fine. That type of hit would really shake some people up. GL with the new ride.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by JZDX
Agree.. glad everyone was ok. Accidents do happen and luckily the cars today with crump zones and air bags save lives.

I wanted my wife to drive the X3 before we got her RDX but she loves her RDX. I think all the extras the RDX had vs the X3 did it for her.. she's a shoppin girl.

I think the X3's are fine, I like them better than the X5 since they redesigned it. What type of warranty did they give you on it.. and is it with maintenance?

Jay
Yeah, reading that review above, they said the RDX is the closest competitor. We looked at the RDX too. The factory warranty still applies and the CPO takes it out to 6 years / 100K, but I think we'll miss out on the 4 year 50K free maintenance as it has 46K on the clock now. Perhaps we'll get a maintenance agreement when we go to finish up the paper work.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by AsianRage
Good to know that your family is okay. They were very lucky!

It is quite surprising that you decided to go with the X3 when your finalists weren't even in the same class. Good luck with your purchase.
We were shocked too.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Seems like the best cars are always the ones that get tagged but then again, cars are readily replaceable machines. People are priceless, one-of-a-kind entities. I'm glad everybody was okay and hopefully the kid learned a valuable lesson.
That is what I was telling my wife. He was really a nice kid. He just made a terrible mistake.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Wow I'm so sorry about the accident. I'm glad nobody was hurt.

Congrats on the X3! Be sure to post pictures when you can
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
my boss was debating if he should get the x3 or glk350. He got the GLK. He said he test drove both and liked the GLK better. It was a smoother ride and just looked way nicer inside and out.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:47 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
my boss was debating if he should get the x3 or glk350. He got the GLK. He said he test drove both and liked the GLK better. It was a smoother ride and just looked way nicer inside and out.
GLK is ok. brake pedal was horrible, first few inches pressed in there was no braking action at all. scared me because i almost plowed into the car ahead of me.

the Q5 on the other hand
Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Glad your baby and wife are okay OP. GL with finding a decent replacement. I definitely recommend the MDX, first in safety and all around excellent SUV.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Glad your baby and wife are okay OP. GL with finding a decent replacement. I definitely recommend the MDX, first in safety and all around excellent SUV.
All aboard the FAILboat.

Reading > you
Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
All aboard the FAILboat.

Reading > you

LMFAO !!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Rooting for Acura

...and now the pictures of the replacement.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 PM
fap fap fap

nice, love the Msport wheels.

btw, have you read up on the tranny issues? huge thread about it on bimmerfest
Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
All aboard the FAILboat.

Reading > you

I was trying to get my productivity at work to an all time high of 20% today by cutting down on reading past the first few lines.. I've learned my lesson.

Sweet upgrade OP.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by Infamous425
nice, love the Msport wheels.

btw, have you read up on the tranny issues? huge thread about it on bimmerfest
I haven't. I've trolled bimmerfest in the last few days. I'll check it out again. thx.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JZDX
LMFAO !!
Great.. I'm being laughed at by a guy who actually owns a ZDX.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts

nice pics.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Good looking pair of vehicles
Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i'm sure she'll love it.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Rooting for Acura

Thanks for the compliments / comments. We are enjoying the vehicle so far.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Congrats on the Bimmer. Slowly converting you all, muhahahaha.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,459 Likes on 4,980 Posts
Looks pretty good actually with the painted body cladding. Nice pick up.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
He owns a ZDX?!?!?

...well then the jokes on him.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:57 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Congratulations on the X3. Love the wheels.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:51 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
it actually looks really good with those wheels and in white
i usually think x3's look weird, but this one is really nice, and great color combo
glad to hear your wife and child are alright
and congrats on the purchase
Old 05-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Looks good KR, I like the color combo as well.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:48 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Nice looking car!

Quick Reply: Wife Car Totaled. Enter Carnote Land