Who here knows about lemon law?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Who here knows about lemon law?

Please read, long but important.

Ok... wasn't sure where to post this. I figured this was the best place.
In april of this year i bought a brand new 05 tsx auto, navi.
Since day 1 there has been this terrible vibration in the steering wheel. It has been rebalanced at least 3 times and it has downgraded from a vibration to a nibble when i'm on the highway. The problem is that the problem still exists. There's still a very noticeable nibble in the steering wheel on the highway at 70mph. You can both see if visually and feel it physically.

Basically the first time i took it into the dealer, they rebalanced, but didn't do much good. The 2nd time it went in, the technician took it out for a drive and said that he didn't even feel anything. When you let go of the wheel, you can see it go back and forth very noticeably. So they paid for me to get a high speed balance somewhere else. This still didn't fix the problem so when i went in for my 1st oil change i told them that i was also making an appointment again for my vibration issue. When i went in, all they said was they only had time for an oil change and tire rebalancing. This made is a little better but it didn't fix anything and it got worse as the miles began to climb on it.

I called one more time and made an appointment. They said that they would have a zone rep look at it. So this time they had the shop foreman, the service manager, and the zone rep looked at it. They actually verified that the nibble existed but then they tried to tell me that it was normal on some road surfaces that my steering wheel would nibble. They actually wrote it on the receipt. I'm not stupid. The nibble happens at 70mph, but isn't there at 60, or 80mph. There's even a new section of paved highway that i drive on everyday to and from work. The nibble is still there, so it can't be the road.

Then i call Acura customer service. They tell me to wait 48 hours, and an investigator will have investigated my situation and will give me a call. 48 hours later i get a call and all he tells me is that the service manager said that it was normal. There's nothing i can do. It took him 48 hours to come up with that??????

So i try another dealership, they said what i needed was a "high speed balance". They wanted to send me where the original dealer had paid for me to go. When i told them, i already had it sent there from the first dealership. It didn't fix anything. Then they told me, well if the other dealership already paid for one, i can't authorize it again. You will have to go back to the original dealer. Or try the balancing place again maybe they will rebalance it since it was still shaking the first time they did it.

So i took it back for another high speed balance and the problem still persists.

I already inquired to a lemon law attorney and they said it sounds like i may have a case but they would have to review all of my paperwork first. The Georgia lemon law says that they have 3 attempts to fix the problem under warranty. If the problem still persists, i can file a lemon law case. Basically, this is the website/attorneys i used. http://www.autolemonlaws.com/georgia/

I have actually talked with them on the phone and they seem legit.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with lemon law? What are my chances of winning the case here?

If they offer to fix my car after hearing from my attorney, i'm not even going to accept that. Even if it's something as simply as new tires. Since i have been jerked around so much now i will not stop until they either get me a new car or get me my money back.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Drifting

So i guess nobody knows about lemon law.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to www.bbb.org and go to their autoline program, you can find a summary of your state's lemon law. I know there were a couple of people who filed and Acura did a buy back (?). You can also use the search button to find info about this topic.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Go to www.bbb.org and go to their autoline program, you can find a summary of your state's lemon law. I know there were a couple of people who filed and Acura did a buy back (?). You can also use the search button to find info about this topic.
I did a search for "lemon law" on the board. I didn't get much. I found a bunch of talk on carfax... but nothing much on lemon law and what people have experienced.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are 3 links I found. One other option is to PM some on the folks who posted on those threads.
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/needed-aem-ci-stone-ct-obx-headers-6-spd-103101/
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/bmw-coupe-gets-facelift-2004-a-86336/
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/better-than-gta-vice-city-87628/
Old 07-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Type S-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know this sounds stupid and you've probably already done this, but have the front wheels been checked for bends or warps? You could try swapping the fronts and rears and see if they vibration is still there. If it is, then it has nothing to do w/ the wheels...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
each state is different. Your owners manual booklet should have included a Lemon law book with it.
Sounds stupid to try a lemon a car that has a probelm like this. Sounds like bad tires or bad rims. Has anyone tried swapping the rim/tire combo front to rear? Anyone do a test to see if the rim is bent? Find a hunter road force balancer & let them test it.
www.hunter.com
Old 07-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
each state is different. Your owners manual booklet should have included a Lemon law book with it.
Sounds stupid to try a lemon a car that has a probelm like this. Sounds like bad tires or bad rims. Has anyone tried swapping the rim/tire combo front to rear? Anyone do a test to see if the rim is bent? Find a hunter road force balancer & let them test it.
www.hunter.com
The high speed balancing that the dealer paid for me to go to the first time includes a road force balancing before they actually do a high speed balancing.

Also... they checked the rims while they were spinning up near 120mph while it was spinning on the balancer. The rims are round. No bends.

I know it sounds stupid. But the dealer refuses to help me. I dont know what else to do. I dont want to spend $$$ on a NEW car that i just got.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alin10123
The high speed balancing that the dealer paid for me to go to the first time includes a road force balancing before they actually do a high speed balancing.

Also... they checked the rims while they were spinning up near 120mph while it was spinning on the balancer. The rims are round. No bends.

I know it sounds stupid. But the dealer refuses to help me. I dont know what else to do. I dont want to spend $$$ on a NEW car that i just got.
Update: I submitted all of my paperwork to an attorney for them to review whether or not i have a case. I really dont want to take this route. But the dealer has been so ignorant as well as Acura. So... i really dont have a choice here. I hope everything works out in the end.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
You sure it's not just you?