When will Audi catch up to BMW? Or has it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
The 7 also has stuff the A8 doesn't have. I'd say the touchpad thing is the only thing BMW doesn't have, because it has voice recognition for the navigation where you say the address instead of typing it out.

- Audi's don't have rear steer in their vehicles, nor do they have anything comparable to the M packaged 7 series anymore with the S8 being discontinued.
- The 7 series has 50 more hp when comparing v8's and 35 more when comparing v12's (too bad v12's are no longer offered in a8's anymore)
- The rear seats are larger and have 12 massagers along with being heated/cooled (not available in a8)
- Use black panel technology for the gauge cluster instead of lit dials like the a8
- Uses a HUD system that reads roadsigns to convey speed limits, POI on HUD unit w/driver preferences

The list goes on. Even reviews say the 7 is ahead in technology, the only thing the a8 has is it's touchpad/google earth deal, and how well does that work? All the other tech options the new A8 offers, BMW came out with them 1st anyway which is why Audi had to come close to matching them. The lines are even better, when you look at the profile of the a8 the door handles stick out instead of integrating them with the body lines like the 7 series. To me there is a clear winner in that category, other comparisons in their car models might be different.

Last edited by DaInFaMMuS1; 09-27-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
The R8 is in a class of its own though at least compared to what BMW has to offer.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
The 7 also has stuff the A8 doesn't have. I'd say the touchpad thing is the only thing BMW doesn't have, because it has voice recognition for the navigation where you say the address instead of typing it out.

- Audi's don't have rear steer in their vehicles, nor do they have anything comparable to the M packaged 7 series anymore with the S8 being discontinued.
- The 7 series has 50 more hp when comparing v8's and 35 more when comparing v12's (too bad v12's are no longer offered in a8's anymore)
- The rear seats are larger and have 12 massagers along with being heated/cooled (not available in a8)
- Use black panel technology for the gauge cluster instead of lit dials like the a8
- Uses a HUD system that reads roadsigns to convey speed limits, POI on HUD unit w/driver preferences

The list goes on. Even reviews say the 7 is ahead in technology, the only thing the a8 has is it's touchpad/google earth deal, and how well does that work? All the other tech options the new A8 offers, BMW came out with them 1st anyway which is why Audi had to come close to matching them. The lines are even better, when you look at the profile of the a8 the door handles stick out instead of integrating them with the body lines like the 7 series. To me there is a clear winner in that category, other comparisons in their car models might be different.
no LEDs no care
Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Well the S65 has LEDs. and 700+ torque > all.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

EDIT: Reading>Me and I fail in copious amounts. Ignore that last post.

But... why isn't Merc included?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S-Class>7 Series>A8 IMO
Old 10-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

I'd only take an S class in its AMG variant, because BMW and Audi don't offer a true competitor.

But right now, for me it's 750i>A8>S550. The S-Class is the most aged design, and both the BMW and Audi are practically brand-new.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:18 AM

the Benz is the oldest but best looking IMO.

The Audi & BMW have more tech; but you have to ask yourself - how much tech do you really need?

Also the XJ is easily the best value in this class and shouldn't be overlooked.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Holy shit, wrong thread LOL
Old 10-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MTwEeZi
no LEDs no care
Umm..both cars have LED's so what's your point?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I don't like any of the executive-class sedans at this point.

I'd rather go down a size and get a 5-series (until the new A6 comes out).
Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1

Ok, I dont even like the A8 but you are being extremely biased. Here are some things the 7 series is missing besides a touchpad

- wifi hotspot

- aluminum space frame & body

- full LED headlights

- solar sunroof

- google earth for 3D mapping

- Nvidia graphics processor for nav rendering

- 1400 watt B&O sound system

- 17/27 mpg

- 8 speed transmission (except on the 760)

black panel gauges vs 7 inch display..

The S8 is coming next year.

Rear steer has been available since the 80's. Anyway the A8 is available with a Sport Differential which varies torque from side to side

as for the interior...

Is the 7 series better looking? Sadly that is arguable. It is certainly not a looker either like a Quattroporte or XJ.

Where are the reviews that say the 7 is ahead in cabin tech vs the 2011 A8?

Last edited by ghttf; 10-02-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: hotlinking
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MTwEeZi
Ok, I dont even like the A8 but you are being extremely biased. Here are some things the 7 series is missing besides a touchpad

- wifi hotspot

- aluminum space frame & body

- full LED headlights

- solar sunroof

- google earth for 3D mapping

- Nvidia graphics processor for nav rendering

- 1400 watt B&O sound system

- 17/27 mpg

- 8 speed transmission (except on the 760)

black panel gauges vs 7 inch display..

The S8 is coming next year.

Rear steer has been available since the 80's. Anyway the A8 is available with a Sport Differential which varies torque from side to side

as for the interior...

Is the 7 series better looking? Sadly that is arguable. It is certainly not a looker either like a Quattroporte or XJ.

Where are the reviews that say the 7 is ahead in cabin tech vs the 2011 A8?
Just google it and they come up. Here's one for you.
http://www.autorivals.net/luxurycars...0107series.htm

Aluminum spaceframe technology doesn't mean the 7 series isn't just as protective in a crash. They use 6 different materials to retain super structural rigidity and still keep the weight down.

Solar sunroof for what? The 7 series has solar sensors that dictate the necessary cabin temp increments to keep u at your set temperature. The BMW has the Black Panel technology vs the Audi's regular gauge display, which is much more sleek and you're able to display things clearer. You can make the car a wifi hotspot using the Bluetooth system, simple. The audio system is a 12 to 16 (depending on your choice) speaker system with a Dolby Pro Logic II top-hifi amplifier that I'm positive is just as capable as the Audi's.

What's so special about the 3d mapping and graphics processor? The 7 actually has both. Does having google earth make it special? Along with the graphics processor the 7 has:
- Full-screen map display
- Interactive map
- Night view
- Trip/route planner and guide tours.
- Lane/traffic recommendation
- 3D models and mapping in the perspective map view
The only thing that makes the Audi special is the tablet.

The audi is actually 17 to 24 mpg, the BMW is 16 to 24 with 50 more HP. So you can keep that 8th gear, the BMW has better acceleration and just as good fuel economy with 7. Also the the standard x drive AWD system of the 7 DOES vary torque like the A8. Look up QMVH systems which is even more advanced , but I dont remember if that is used in the 7 along with the x6/5. And rear steer makes it more maneuverable than the A8, which is useful in a big car such as these

I'm not being biased, I'm just stating what I saw after comparing the two cars. I'd have been biased if I didn't do any sort of research on the A8, but I did. The 7 has everything it has and more, except for that tablet.

The Audi isn't as advanced as it's hyped up to be. If the A8 was better, I'd have no problem conceding to the facts, but it isn't. Everyone's just going on the premise of Audi's advertising instead of really looking at the cars, saying LED's and a tablet makes it a better car. Besides, the A8 rear interior that you posted is hideous to me, but that's dependent on your taste.

Last edited by DaInFaMMuS1; 10-02-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

If we're arguing tech here, you can't just throw out the A8's stuff based on its uselessness. 99% of the tech in these cars are frankly useless and overindulgence.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
If we're arguing tech here, you can't just throw out the A8's stuff based on its uselessness. 99% of the tech in these cars are frankly useless and overindulgence.

Are we really talking about how practical the features are in these cars? Really now?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:42 AM

That's not a review. They didn't drive either car and all the A8 specs are estimated.

Aluminum spaceframe technology doesn't mean the 7 series isn't just as protective in a crash. They use 6 different materials to retain super structural rigidity and still keep the weight down.
Aluminum is lighter than steel. The A8 is 300 pounds lighter than a 750i xDrive.

Solar sunroof for what? The 7 series has solar sensors that dictate the necessary cabin temp increments to keep u at your set temperature.
The solar sunroof supplies power to the ventilation system to reduce interior temperatures by circulating fresh air while the ignition is off.

The BMW has the Black Panel technology vs the Audi's regular gauge display, which is much more sleek and you're able to display things clearer. You can make the car a wifi hotspot using the Bluetooth system, simple. The audio system is a 12 to 16 (depending on your choice) speaker system with a Dolby Pro Logic II top-hifi amplifier that I'm positive is just as capable as the Audi's.
The A8 has an 8 inch color display between the gauges.

How do you get wifi from Blutooth?

What's so special about the 3d mapping and graphics processor? The 7 actually has both. Does having google earth make it special? Along with the graphics processor the 7 has:
- Full-screen map display
- Interactive map
- Night view
- Trip/route planner and guide tours.
- Lane/traffic recommendation
- 3D models and mapping in the perspective map view
The only thing that makes the Audi special is the tablet.
It's special because it is the most powerful hardware available. The rest of the things listed you can get not just in an A8 but also in an E-class.

The audi is actually 17 to 24 mpg, the BMW is 16 to 24 with 50 more HP. So you can keep that 8th gear, the BMW has better acceleration and just as good fuel economy with 7.
It is in fact 17/27
http://models.audiusa.com/a8/detailed-specifications

The BMW is 15/22 for the short wheelbase and 14/21 for the long wheelbase. I would imagine the xDrive versions would be slightly lower.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

The 7 also has (400-372) 28 more hp, not 50

....and it comes with a 6 speed auto..not a 7..

Also the the standard x drive AWD system of the 7 DOES vary torque like the A8. Look up QMVH systems which is even more advanced , but I dont remember if that is used in the 7 along with the x6/5. And rear steer makes it more maneuverable than the A8, which is useful in a big car such as these
It does have xDrive to match the sport diff, and you cant get rear steer in any other car in this class. However the turning radius is exactly 1 foot shorter for all that extra weight & complexity. (40 vs 41)

I'm not being biased, I'm just stating what I saw after comparing the two cars. I'd have been biased if I didn't do any sort of research on the A8, but I did. The 7 has everything it has and more, except for that tablet.

The Audi isn't as advanced as it's hyped up to be. If the A8 was better, I'd have no problem conceding to the facts, but it isn't. Everyone's just going on the premise of Audi's advertising instead of really looking at the cars, saying LED's and a tablet makes it a better car. Besides, the A8 rear interior that you posted is hideous to me, but that's dependent on your taste.
Fair enough. You were clearly fed some misinformation from that link you posted.

It's not that I think the 7 is a bad car or am an Audi fanboi (I would take the Quattroporte, S63, or XJ over either of them); I just dont believe that it is the clear winner in this class.

Here are some sources that consider the Audi to have best in class tech

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2011-a...-34147987.html
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a8/2011/testdrive.html

Last edited by ghttf; 10-03-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

A couple other things
-The 7 series does the same for the interior temp, you can even set a timer so that it turns on at a specific time before you enter the car
- you're right about the weight, but even with the added weight its just as nimble
- It might be the most powerful software available but how much do u need to do the same job as you said the 7 and E class has the same items?
- the gas mileage is still comparably close
- that 1 foot of turning radius makes a big difference in tight quarters, you can turn the 7 within the radius of the A8
- The reviews only look at the A8 and don't compare them head to head, but the thing that they all say puts audi supposedly over the top is the MMI tablet.

I guess in the end it comes down to personal preference and price tag as you can get just about the same things in both cars, and also the S Class
Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
The S-Class is still the way I would go in this class of cars.