What are your thoughts on the Lancer EVO VII?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your thoughts on the Lancer EVO VII?

I'm about 90% certain that I'm selling my Type S at the end of this year, and buying one.

It seems almost too good to be true, and its confirmed that its definitely coming here.

What do you all think of this car?
Old 04-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It's ok but the Evo is just another WRX. Sure you can kick alot of ass, but the car is I'd much rather have the G35 coupe or the new Z.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Bagged hybrid

I never liked Nissan, so the G35 or Z is eh...

For the money and speed, the Evo VII would be sweet...especially if you add an intake, turbo controller, and cat-back exhaust (up to 20hp gain), etc. you can start playing with the big boys for less than $35-40k. However, you do lose a bit of luxury compared to Infinity or even our CL.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:09 PM
Pro

freeeeeekin oooooooooogly
Old 04-03-2002, 07:23 PM
Racer

Looks like crap from outside and inside...
But it will be quick as hell, with the mods you can break into 12's easily...
So, if you are willing to trade a luxury coupe for a fast rice box,
I'd say go out and get it.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo VII will basically own anything in its price range. Except if the STi makes its way across the sea.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:24 PM
- daemonichris -

i think the Evo VII is going to be a great WRX compitetor. the car simply looks so mean from the ouside, with the intercooler showing off and everything. of course i would not get a Evo VII myself because that would sacrifice luxury. however if you just want to go fast and crave for performance, i think the Evo VII will give you just that.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:43 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

I had the pleasure of getting into the cabin of an EVO VII back in February while on vacation, and actually saw one driving down the road and during a rally on the lovely island of Barbados. Even have the pics to prove it.

GET THE EVO VII!!!!!!

For the amount of money, it'll blow the doors off anything that comes near it. So what you lose a little luxury, but you know that much before you sign the contract, it's the speed that you want, and I am pretty sure it'll kill a WRX, so get the EVO.

If you are going to be a ricer, be the best damn ricer there is, just don't get a Chevy Cavalier or a damn Dodge Neon.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Cause stock sux.

Evo VII base price is around $37K...STI is gonna be around $30k. Only reason the car test Evo VII beat the STI was because it had a front mount intercooler compared to the top mounted one of the STI. for that 7K difference in price, I rather get the Subaru. Plus Mitsu turbo's lick my left nut. :P
Old 04-03-2002, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually, evo VII is not 37 grand smart guy, it is 30 grand w/ dealer markup included, it is imported from Japan and will be toned down to 250 or so hp cause of emmiions and shit.... I would love an EVO but im having problems w/ mitsushitso...

the only good thing about hte EVO is that its being built in japan (good quality), my galant sux ass cause its built in america, might as welll bought a ford, LOL
Old 04-03-2002, 09:36 PM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by lemacfar
actually, evo VII is not 37 grand smart guy, it is 30 grand w/ dealer markup included, it is imported from Japan and will be toned down to 250 or so hp cause of emmiions and shit.... I would love an EVO but im having problems w/ mitsushitso...

the only good thing about hte EVO is that its being built in japan (good quality), my galant sux ass cause its built in america, might as welll bought a ford, LOL
The article where they did the STI Vs the Evo VII, the price list said $30K and $37K respectively.

I'll try to find the exact article again. Regardless...Mitsubishi turbos have a history of constantly being in and out of repair shops.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:49 PM

You are reading an article that someone posted on off-topic.net

The president of Mitsubishi motors announced at the NY auto show that the car would be priced under $30K.

Go here to see this article, www.lancerforums.com

I'm not going to flame you, just correct you.

The Mitsubishi has a much stronger transmission than a WRX. The STI will utilize the same gearbox.

Those scooby tranny's seem to be made of glass.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:08 PM
foolio at heart

Originally posted by TypeSKid
You are reading an article that someone posted on off-topic.net

The president of Mitsubishi motors announced at the NY auto show that the car would be priced under $30K.

Go here to see this article, www.lancerforums.com

I'm not going to flame you, just correct you.

The Mitsubishi has a much stronger transmission than a WRX. The STI will utilize the same gearbox.

Those scooby tranny's seem to be made of glass.
made of glass? I don't know where you are getting your info from. That has been a longstanding rumor that has been replayed over and over. There are currently numerous wrx's putting down well over 300 awhp to the ground on the stock tranny w/ only bolton's. 300awhp on a subaru equates to almost 400hp at the crank. The STI utilizes a totally different transmission, the STI is a factory 6speed while the wrx is only a 5speed. If I had to choose between the Lancer EVO 7 and an STI I"d pick the STI hands down. Subaru reliability has been well documented, I'm not too impressed with Mitsubishi's track record in regards to reliability. Mitsubishi has a long history of electrical problems. This is just my .02 cents.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:14 PM
Cause stock sux.

The STI is gonna be closed deck on top of that. Can u say..."more boost"?
Old 04-03-2002, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by blxmjx

made of glass? I don't know where you are getting your info from. That has been a longstanding rumor that has been replayed over and over. There are currently numerous wrx's putting down well over 300 awhp to the ground on the stock tranny w/ only bolton's. 300awhp on a subaru equates to almost 400hp at the crank. The STI utilizes a totally different transmission, the STI is a factory 6speed while the wrx is only a 5speed. If I had to choose between the Lancer EVO 7 and an STI I"d pick the STI hands down. Subaru reliability has been well documented, I'm not too impressed with Mitsubishi's track record in regards to reliability. Mitsubishi has a long history of electrical problems. This is just my .02 cents.
Of course you would. You are partial to Subaru because you own one, just like the people of this board are partial to the Acura CL-S.

You've never even driven an EVO VII, nor do you know what mods are available.

My mistake about the transmission, it is a 6 speed in the STI.

3 bud's of mine, included the guy who lives upstairs from me have all had the tranny replaced in their scooby's, and only 1 of them is a year old.