What kind of tools do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What kind of tools do you have?

anyone have suggestions about the kind of tools/sets to have for some light maintenance, spark plugs, air filter, tensioner, DIY stuff?

i think i'll try used tools, cause new ones are pretty expensive and i'm not trying to be a pro. just a hobby, and interested in learning a thing or two about cars for fun.

thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
You can buy some decent tools new from Harbor Freight. You can do a lot with a socket set (3/8's will be good for lots of stuff), breaker bar, torque wrench, open end wrenches, and a set of screwdrivers and pliers. If you want to go cheap get a tool kit that goes in your car.

You can always go used too but you'll need to go piece meal on things. For a little more you'll get new at HF. You can buy all the stuff listed for <$100.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Garage sales in older neighborhoods
Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Instructor

wow i wish there was Harbor Freight up here in Canada. i'd be fine with getting all of that for under $100, the brick and mortar stores up here are are all basically at least double the price for the same items. 3/8 torque wrench alone costs like $80 new at local chain stores.

maybe even buying online is better. what kind of stuff is good to have? 3/8 inch ratchet with a set of sockets, extension, torque wrench, breaker bar, these will probably be outside of a set..i'm new to wrenches, i have a screwdriver set and some different pliers.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're looking into just basic maintenance, simple stuff. A simple socket tool set with wrenches and some screw drivers will do. Then as you need other stuff that comes up, just go rent them or buy them when needed. That's how my tool collections build up, then they get all lost somehow or stolen then the collecting starts all over.

even the cheap tool sets at target or walmart will do for basic maintenance. I usually only buy craftsman though, just always have.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
I would recommend something along the lines of craftsman tools. Harbor Freight is cheap, and in price and quality. Im VERY experienced in tools as im a mechanic and have used just about anything. Harbor Freight tools will break, cheap china shit, poor fitment, etc. However, they do work... most of the time... Craftsman tools are on the cheaper side of things and are decent quality. I have experience with MAC, Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell and all the big expensive brands. I personally use Snap-On, but I need high quality toosl for my profession. If I were you I would get a starter set. Now one HUGE thing to pay attention to is what do you really need, what are you going to be doing, what cars are you working on? You can go get a big set of tools from craftsman and have shit ton that you dont use. I would say you need a 3/8 set or sockets ranging from say 8mm-22mm(somewhere around that ballpark) Same goes with wrenches. A screwdriver set, some pliers, a spark plug socket, belt tensioner tool. If your working on your Acura, its all metric, so stay away from standard sizes 3/8, 1/2, 7/8, etc. You really dont need much. I know your a new at cars, but everyone has to start somewhere. I think you will find a great sense of accomplishment once you have completed a task. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I know too much and own too many tools... 10k in a 10k box... what is this world coming too lmao
Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
Craftsman is pretty decient. I have a big mix of craftsman, snap-on, matco and mac but most of it is Craftsman including my box and compressor. Their hand tools have a lifetime warrantee too. Craftsman is the best value IMO for basic at home DIY stuff.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
I just do DIY work, but I've accumulated quite a few tools now.

I still have a craftsman set that was given to me one christmas and is about 14 years old now and all the sockets and ratchets still work great.

For torque wrenches I've acquired a few precision instruments wrenches from tooldiscounter.com, they seemed to be the best value.

I buy their split beam wrenches for torque wrenches, since they're pretty accurate (+/- 4%), come with a cal cert and can handle a little abuse unlike the style with the spring in it and screw twist on the bottom. Also have a dial one (+/- 2%).

The PI split-beams are click style as well, so they click just like the style that has the twist screw on the bottom but don't have that spring in them that needs to be cycled a few times to get the wrench accurate or lose their calibration if they get dropped a few times.

If you're going to do any work to say the intake manifold, timing belt job or suspension work or parts with bearings like the auto tensioner, etc. you should probably invest in a decent torque wrench.

I have 3 of them now.

1/2" 40-250 ft lbs, flex head split beam
3/8" 14-68 NM, flex head split beam
3/8" 120-600 In. Lbs w/ 12-60NM secondary scale, dial wrench

I probably spent around $400 total for all 3 with shipping.

Last edited by mzilvar; 09-28-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Pretty much all of my tools are Craftsman. You can catch a lot on sale and I like the fact they are backed by the lifetime warranty. Besides yard sale, check out CL. I see mechanics and older folks retiring and/getting out if the business and looking to get rid of their tools.
I have not purchased anything from Harbor Freight but would stay away from any cheaply made tools. I had had too may torn/bloodied knuckles because of tools failing on me at the wrong time.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Get a high quality socket set from the name brands mentioned before. Harbor freight is good for some tools but not sockets or ratchets, I've had a few break or snap on me. Pay the money for a good socket and ratchet set, get mostly everything else at harbor freight

Torque wrench and breaker bar are a must, I got mine at harbor freight and they have been doing great

Last edited by sockr1; 09-28-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:45 AM
The Boss

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts
1 screw driver, 3 sockets and a wrench. Poor people problems.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
a wise mechanic once said "only buy the tools that you need for that job"

that way, you dont have LOTS of extra sockets that you wont ever use.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP_BALLER
I would recommend something along the lines of craftsman tools. Harbor Freight is cheap, and in price and quality. Im VERY experienced in tools as im a mechanic and have used just about anything. Harbor Freight tools will break, cheap china shit, poor fitment, etc. However, they do work... most of the time... Craftsman tools are on the cheaper side of things and are decent quality. I have experience with MAC, Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell and all the big expensive brands. I personally use Snap-On, but I need high quality toosl for my profession. If I were you I would get a starter set. Now one HUGE thing to pay attention to is what do you really need, what are you going to be doing, what cars are you working on? You can go get a big set of tools from craftsman and have shit ton that you dont use. I would say you need a 3/8 set or sockets ranging from say 8mm-22mm(somewhere around that ballpark) Same goes with wrenches. A screwdriver set, some pliers, a spark plug socket, belt tensioner tool. If your working on your Acura, its all metric, so stay away from standard sizes 3/8, 1/2, 7/8, etc. You really dont need much. I know your a new at cars, but everyone has to start somewhere. I think you will find a great sense of accomplishment once you have completed a task. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I know too much and own too many tools... 10k in a 10k box... what is this world coming too lmao
The OP is an interested up and coming shade tree mechanic. I would say almost any tool set will do a good job for the occasional oil change or brake pad replacement.

I use to be a tool snob as well but found that even Craftsman tools suck these days. I have had only one problem with a HF tool and that was an impact driver. The sockets, rachets, and wrenches seem pretty solid are are certainly up to any job I or any other non-professional will do.

I think we need to always remember the hobby .vs. profession tradeoff. I'm a professional software developer and don't skimp by buying cheap laptops much like a professional mechanic won't skimp on cheap tools. It just isn't worth the aggravation when the 'tool' lets you down in the middle of a big job.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
The OP is an interested up and coming shade tree mechanic. I would say almost any tool set will do a good job for the occasional oil change or brake pad replacement.

I use to be a tool snob as well but found that even Craftsman tools suck these days. I have had only one problem with a HF tool and that was an impact driver. The sockets, rachets, and wrenches seem pretty solid are are certainly up to any job I or any other non-professional will do.

I think we need to always remember the hobby .vs. profession tradeoff. I'm a professional software developer and don't skimp by buying cheap laptops much like a professional mechanic won't skimp on cheap tools. It just isn't worth the aggravation when the 'tool' lets you down in the middle of a big job.
Amen. People telling everyone Craftsman is cheaper quality. Please. I've inherited some of my Dad's Craftsman tool that are probably 50 years old and still going strong. Have lot's of Craftsman tools I've purchased. Purchased several had tools from Harbor Freight and none have had issues. And I do quite a bit of wrenching on my cars.

Pick up a nice Craftsman starter set and you'll be fine.
The following users liked this post:
alexSU (09-30-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 03:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by nttstt444
Craftsman is pretty decient. I have a big mix of craftsman, snap-on, matco and mac but most of it is Craftsman including my box and compressor. Their hand tools have a lifetime warrantee too. Craftsman is the best value IMO for basic at home DIY stuff.
I like craftsman. Good value. Majority of my tools are craftsman. My old shop had a decent snap-on rep (awesome) but now that I don't get that hook-up anymore I'm back to Sears.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:58 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
For used tools I'd suggest Craigslist.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by JnC
For used tools I'd suggest Craigslist.
Ding Ding Ding - This, just as I mentioned above
Old 09-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
When i first bought my starter kit it was a box 250 pieces with 3 draws of sockets in 3 different drives from craftsman, from that point you gonna just buy what you need but that was enough to start what i was gonna do. Quality isnt best but atleast when you break it you'll get free replacement. It wasnt cheap but it was worth it. Dont go too crazy too. Once you start working you will find out what you need. Now im in process of getting my tools replaced with something better quality.

This is the kit i first bought

Craftsman 255 pc. Mechanics Tool Set with Lift Top Storage Chest, # 35255
Craftsman 255 pc. Mechanics Tool Set with Lift Top Storage Chest, # 35255 - Amazon.com Craftsman 255 pc. Mechanics Tool Set with Lift Top Storage Chest, # 35255 - Amazon.com

Last edited by StreetKA; 09-29-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I have quite a few turn-clicky things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
Aman (09-30-2013), Sarlacc (10-24-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
It's fantastic how versatile socket sets are. I have a small 80pc Stanley set that I got for $40 or something like that. Less than a year old and it's paid itself ten times over.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
A few sockets here and there, my uncle is a retired mechanic with a wall lined with Snap On boxes so I can borrow damn near anything. For some speciality tools you can borrow from the parts store. Not sure how that works in the great white north but at Advance Auto/Autozone etc they just put a hold on your card and refund it when you return the tool so no cost, did that last time I needed spring compressors. I've had Craftsman and Snap On stuff break on me so it's not all about brand depends on the tool. Lisle makes a lot of decently priced automotive specialty tools that you can find on Amazon, I believe my caliper compressor and oil filter wrench are both made by them.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Instructor

thanks for all the replies everyone. i've been busy last few weeks, but i'm back on the hunt for some tools. first thing i'm planning to do is check the spark plugs, so gearing up for that.

i don't want too many tools i won't use, but i don't want to get something that will grow at least a little. from the replies, i'm probably looking into something by craftsman, 3/8" socket with a set of metric sockets from about 12 - 22 mm, and a spark plug socket. also, don't i need a torque wrench to make sure the plugs are not too tight? (and where does everyone get specs for how tight?)

anyone have experience with mastercraft tools? it's a canadian brand from canadian tire.

thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Instructor

what do you guys think about these?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsma...00383034-44207

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ529504904
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Amen. People telling everyone Craftsman is cheaper quality. Please. I've inherited some of my Dad's Craftsman tool that are probably 50 years old and still going strong. Have lot's of Craftsman tools I've purchased. Purchased several had tools from Harbor Freight and none have had issues. And I do quite a bit of wrenching on my cars.

Pick up a nice Craftsman starter set and you'll be fine.
Couldnt agree more. In my span of turning wrenches i could probably count or at minimum hold the number of craftsman tools that i have broken on/in one hand. And i dont always use them for what they were intended for. I recently put a pipe extension on a 1/4" ratchet for more leverage . I stick with craftsman because sears is down the road and when i need a tool or if i were to break one within 5 min i can have a new one (for free if broken)

They have great deals and sales on them quite often, especially during the holiday season.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
If you are only looking to do regular maintenance and random jobs around the house, I would suggest Task Force as a good value brand. Honestly OP, of the sets you have listed, 50% of those won't be used.

$40 and this will cover 95% of your tasks. Find a used 3/8" torque wrench and you will be set.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_266846-29091...o=Task%20Force
http://www.lowes.com/pd_96435-29091-...o=Task%20Force
Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Instructor

hmmm...ok, so it seems lowes in canada doesn't carry task force.

no one seems to think stanley is decent?
i was passing by canadian tire today and picked up this set for $99.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stanley-Fatma...-/121171770954

deciding whether it'll be all right or return for something else. yah, i don't expect to use it all, but i don't know what i'll use and it seems like a decent price for what it includes. (the link is the not from the store, it's just for reference). i've got 90 days to return.

other option is the craftsman, that people seem to like.
http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsma...00383034-44207

these sets seem to include many of those basics you guys have written about. i'm not worthy of snap on and other professional brands.

and pricing up here in canada is much suckier than in the US, less selection, generally more expensive. lots of the small sets will run $50+ anyway..i guess they may go on sale for $30, but that could be a 15 piece or something. you add screw drivers, sockets, ratchets, wrenches...might as well go with a set, eh?

though i'll have to find a torque wrench somehow
Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Stanley. Harbor Freight < Task Force < Brand Names (Stanley, Craftsman, Kobalt, etc.), and we are telling you Harbor Freight will get your jobs done just fine.

The take away is that if this is just a hobby, don't over think it, and get a great value set. If you are going to be cranking on differentials and lug nuts everyday, you probably want to go beyond Lowe's and HD.
The following users liked this post:
NBP04TL4ME (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy
There is nothing wrong with Stanley. Harbor Freight < Task Force < Brand Names (Stanley, Craftsman, Kobalt, etc.), and we are telling you Harbor Freight will get your jobs done just fine.

The take away is that if this is just a hobby, don't over think it, and get a great value set. If you are going to be cranking on differentials and lug nuts everyday, you probably want to go beyond Lowe's and HD.
^+1. Don't over think it. I've always been happy with Craftsman.......
Old 10-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Instructor

good idea, i'm not going to overthink it.

i think i'll keep the stanley set i got. seems to cover everything i would need, and more, and should be comparable to a craftsman set. that one i listed went up in price to 150, and it would need to get shipped in and i guess sears isn't one of those stores i find myself in often.

and we don't have harbour freight up here either =(