What do you expect on future car? (not performance wise)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009 | 04:46 PM
Racer

What do you expect on future car? (not performance wise)

Hey guys, I didn't post much, but this is the site I spend most time on everyday, and I need some input about a project i'm doing, so...

I'm building a Car interface as my thesis project for my graduate school. This is an touch screen interface that I hope it will be user friendly enough to replace all the knobs and buttons on the center console. I know it's out there but I feel iDrive sucks, Same as Audi MMI. Acura and Lexus has some nice stuff, but I still prefer control my A/C by buttons instead of on screen.

So,I got some basic features in it, Navi, Audio, Climate, Settings...
I'm debating on integrating all the following functions, I am wandering if you guys will feel comfortable control the following on a touch screen. or you'll prefer controlling them by the traditional knobs, buttons, handlers...

CLIFF: I'm building a touch screen interface that hopefully can be strong enough to replace all the knobs and buttons on center console. Are the following functions you would still prefer knobs and levers instead of on touch screen center console?

- unlock doors
- roll up/down windows.
- windshield wipes
- headlights
- pop trunk/ gas door

any feature you would want to see on it? Feel free to go crazy. Go online so you can browse acurazine while driving? Any suggestions will be helpful.
Old 03-30-2009 | 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Seats
Old 03-30-2009 | 05:23 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by BeemerKiller
[B]CLIFF: I'm building a touch screen interface that hopefully can be strong enough to replace all the knobs and buttons on center console....
any feature you would want to see on it? Feel free to go crazy. Go online so you can browse acurazine while driving? Any suggestions will be helpful.
Only instruments and data should be displayed on the dash & console-- this isn't 1980.

Make all operations voice controlled, except the door locks-- which can be transmission-shifter controlled per TL practice), and gas lid. That would be like a Navi-equipped TL, but with voice controls for windows and a manual gas filler release.
The gas lid should not be on any display where the lid can be accidentally opened while looking for some other touch-screen function. Or maybe you can use a motion lockout for such functions, like Toyota locks out its Navi systems.
Old 03-30-2009 | 05:31 PM
Oliver!!!

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer all of the functions mentioned as hard buttons. Specifically things like lights and wipers. Things that I may need to get to quickly in an emergency situation. I know where my wiper lever is, I know where the headlight switch is, I know where the window switches are and I don't need to take my eyes off the road to work with any of them. And there's no chance of a voice control being misconstrued when I use them. Same with the posibility of a web browser or any other entertainment/distraction. You need to focus on safety above all else. Nav, audio, climate, settings (for things like auto headlights, exit light dimming, economy/trip computer preferences) are all well and good, but anything relating to safely getting from point A to point B need to be kept as tactile switches in the standard locations.

That being said, there is a lot of room for new GUIs for climate, radio, nav, etc to make them more user friendly. I like the thought of cellular connectivity for the nav system. If nothing else to make sure you have constant updates to the most up to date maps. Like using Google maps on my Blackberry vs my TomTom in areas of new construction. And keeping POI info up to date. In this economy, store and restaurant closings are a daily occurance. If I need an electronics store I don't want it directing me to a closed down Circuit City. The nav disc should remain, but have it use the mobile connection when its available, even if it just uses tethering to your existing mobile phone. I don't think the connection should be available to the user though. As a developer, the last thing I would want to hear about is some guy posting in a forum when he runs a red light and broadsides a van full of nuns and sends it off a bridge.

Old 03-30-2009 | 05:34 PM

Personally, I like knobs because they provide some (tactile) feedback, are easy to grab onto even with winter gloves, and changes can be made without having to take your eyes off the road (muscle memory tells you where to reach for the knob).

Although having things integrated might make the dash look clean and streamlined, I think it would be really annoying to have to sift through tons of menus to find what you want. I think having so much on one screen would also mean that you'd have to look at what you're doing (eyes off the road) in order to make some very simple changes (eg: temp, unlock doors, etc). Also, unless the screen provides some type of feedback that you've actually touched the right spot/button on the screen, it could be frustrating to use.

The more you integrate into one 'program' - the more likely one error or fault with the computer means the more systems you've just screwed up. For example, if everything is completely integrated and something screws up with the climate control aspect of the screen/program, does that mean I can no longer use any of the other touch screen functions until the entire thing is repaired?

Just my thoughts so far.
Old 03-30-2009 | 05:48 PM

A system that monitors your eye movement precisely. Eye-sensing controls.... you look at the button for a short period, then it selects it to go into the next menu.
Old 03-30-2009 | 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
A system that monitors your eye movement precisely. Eye-sensing controls.... you look at the button for a short period, then it selects it to go into the next menu.
Let's not push it Costco...
Old 03-30-2009 | 05:56 PM
Unofficial Goat

Sorry but cars need buttons The only thing that should be on the screen or software based is the Navi and media controls. The only thing that I would like to see added is the ability to view information from the various engine sensors of the car, being able to pull up a diagnostic screen that shows things like IAT temp, 02 sensor readings and all the other various sensors.

Also in terms of repairing systems, think about a current car, and say your window stops working, it's pretty easy to diagnose, multimeter to the swtich, make sure it functions, multi meter to the motor and you know it's pooched, easy 5 min to figure it out. If you go software based, you'll spend so much time in diagnostics that repair costs will sky rocket. think about it, now you'd check to make sure the software is functioning correctly, then that the bus that controls the actuator is working, which probably means pulling the computer out of the dash PITA, now you find out the bus isn't working, so you replace it, still nothing, now what's next the motherboard?
Old 03-30-2009 | 05:59 PM

^^yeah but this is the direction that cars are going in, for better or worse. Who thought we'd have laser-guided cruise control 20 years ago, let alone a cruise control that would completely stop the car for you?
Old 03-31-2009 | 12:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by litesout
Specifically things like lights and wipers. Things that I may need to get to quickly in an emergency situation. I know where my wiper lever is, I know where the headlight switch is, I know where the window switches are and I don't need to take my eyes off the road to work with any of them.
exactly what I'm worried about. I work closely with my Product Usability professor and we both agree that on the function that need to be access quickly, they should be able to be done in 2 clicks (a swipe on the screen and a click). But the problem is still there, you'll need to take the eyes off the road..

some people suggest that still offer those control on touch screen, but also offer it on the traditional lever/knob, and hope the system is good enough that users start to adopt them.

or maybe I should just eliminate those functions...
Old 03-31-2009 | 12:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

lol. Please don't turn my project into Rocket Science, I have spent long enough at school...
Old 03-31-2009 | 12:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Personally, I like knobs because they provide some (tactile) feedback, are easy to grab onto even with winter gloves, and changes can be made without having to take your eyes off the road (muscle memory tells you where to reach for the knob).

Although having things integrated might make the dash look clean and streamlined, I think it would be really annoying to have to sift through tons of menus to find what you want. I think having so much on one screen would also mean that you'd have to look at what you're doing (eyes off the road) in order to make some very simple changes (eg: temp, unlock doors, etc). Also, unless the screen provides some type of feedback that you've actually touched the right spot/button on the screen, it could be frustrating to use.

The more you integrate into one 'program' - the more likely one error or fault with the computer means the more systems you've just screwed up. For example, if everything is completely integrated and something screws up with the climate control aspect of the screen/program, does that mean I can no longer use any of the other touch screen functions until the entire thing is repaired?

Just my thoughts so far.
thanks for the feedback...I agree that muscle memory works and knobs provide feedback, and that's probably why car manufacture need to offer both knobs/buttons/levers and a nice touch screen system.

However for example, the new Lexus LS460. Man I forgot the exact number, but there're like 150+ knobs and buttons in the cabin and come with a user manual like a yellow page, and the touch screen system in it is actually pretty easy to control. But YES, when i sit in there, I still reach for buttons and knobs instead of screen.

If, if i can limit all the function in it be done in 2-3 click/swipe, will all this be more convincing?

About the repair and reliability wise, man, I only design the interface, electronics engineering and stuff is not for me to worry about..
Old 03-31-2009 | 12:40 AM
Racer

thanks a lot for the input guys, I'm doing some mock up about the design. It's still at early stage but it'll give you some idea. I'll keep you updated. This will be the best place to get some user testing for my project...gotta love AZ

One last question for tonight which take it back to point 1.

Do you like the BMW iDrive system? the whole turn the knob go throu menu one by one until you find the right one...

Last edited by BeemerKiller; 03-31-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-31-2009 | 01:33 AM

Tried it and did not like it. Maybe people get used to it over time, who knows but after playing with it for 5-10 mins I prefer regular navigation
Old 03-31-2009 | 09:42 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by BeemerKiller
One last question for tonight which take it back to point 1.

Do you like the BMW iDrive system? the whole turn the knob go throu menu one by one until you find the right one...
No. I much prefer touchscreen unless there's a really good voice-activated one available as an alternative.
Old 03-31-2009 | 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Out of all the OEM Navi I ever owned, I think Audi's MMI was my favorite.