Wet 1/4 mi RESULTS from Test and Tune at Moroso (FL)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet 1/4 mi RESULTS (04 TL) from Test and Tune at Moroso (FL)

Lets just say that last night was not the best night to test my 04 TL at the track for the first time since I bought it.....
1. It rained all day around Palm Beach Gardens so we had humid track conditions.
2. Because of the rain, Bracket Racing Cars were pushed back to start at 8PM leaving sportsmen class autos (me) to run only two 1/4 mi. runs for the night.

So basically, conditions were not good.. but since I drove 100 miles to the track, I just had to at least see what the car would do at these conditions...

STOCK 2004 TL, 6MT, HP Tires w/ Nav
Temp was around 78 Degrees
Humidity was between 70%- 80%
(Gas Tank was almost at empty so I figured I had like 5 gallons in it still......)

1rst Run
Reaction Time ......... 1.171
60 .......................... 2.560
330 ........................ 6.822
1/8 ......................... 10.188
MPH ....................... 73.90
1000 ...................... 13.019
1/4 ........................ 15.398
MPH ....................... 95.03

Right before setting up at the start line, I turned off my Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and A/C, and I did a 3 second burn out on some water they set at the track just before the start line. I don't know if this was a good idea considering I dont really have slick tires, but I did it anyways since everyone else was doing it.... (Should I have done it??? I have the factory HP tires). Right before I got green, I let my revs go up to about 6 and then let my clutch out completely at green. I probably got like a 2.5 second burnout before I finally decided to put it in 2nd gear. I noticed that when the tires were spinning, all I could feel were the tires making a banging noise untill I put it in second gear (Is that normal with the VSA off??? or could it have just been the humidity of the track?) After that I pretty much got revs up to the redline before shifting and crossed the 1/4 mile line just when I put in 4th gear. I also never "powershifted", meaning I let the gas pedal out everytime I shifted for an instant in contrast to just leaving the gas pedal in. Overall, I felt I had too much burnout time but my shifting was OK.

2nd Run
Reaction Time ......... 0.578
60 .......................... 2.397
330 ........................ 6.545
1/8 ......................... 9.847
MPH ....................... 74.98
1000 ...................... 12.649
1/4 ........................ 15.026
MPH ....................... 94.60

My second run started out much better. I thought my VSA was off since I had turned it off from the last run, but I was wrong. Since I turned off my ignition between runs, the VSA engaged itself automatically without me noticing it. This time I did a shorter burnout on the wet part of the track (about 1 sec), probably because the VSA kicked in. Right before green I let my revs up to the red line and then let my clutch completely out. From the results of reaction time of 0.578, I would say that my time was almost perfect (Is .500 perfect reaction time????), and right when I got green, the car only slipped for about a third of a second. I shifted from 1rst to second right at the red line, and did the same from 2nd to 3rd without noticing any slip between gears. Just as I was to hit 4rth gear, I noticed that my revs were around 7 and I was almost at the finish line. I then decided to ride out 3rd until the finish line but just about 100 feet from it, I hit the red line at 7.5 and the cars revs backed down to 6.5, up to 7.5 again in an instant, and then I decided to go into 4th realizing that the car did not let me go higher than that. (Does the VSA control also how high I can go on revs???) I really feel that if I had not ridden out 3rd gear and hit the redline, I would have easily broken 15 sec. It felt really good to have shaved off almost 400/1000 of a second though. I ended up noticing that my VSA was engaged when I got back to parking lot... oh well, something for compare and contrast I guess.

Conclusion:
Track conditions were not optimal (very humid)..., this was my first time at this track..., this was my first time testing out the TL..., and I only got to run it twice..., but overall I felt allright considering that Edmunds Tests rated it at 14.96 @ 90.71 MPH on their performance track with a professional driver... whatever that means.

Let me know what you people think about all this and give me some feedback on it. Also post some times if you got em. I also want to to return to the track some time soon, so any other Floridians out there who wanna get a group together and go let me know too.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Instructor

A couple of things here...
First run, way way too much tire spin.
Your speed on the second run dropped off probably because you hit the rev limiter when you were in third gear. Your RT was pretty good on the second run.
A perfect light now is .000. It used to be .400 but the NHRA chgange it a couple of years ago to make it a little more logical. The tree still sequences at .400 sec between lights, though.
The VSA does not control the rev limiter unless it senses tire slippage. I'm sure you were not experiencing tire slippage in third gear at that rpm.
Actually those track conditions sound pretty good. Cool air and high humidity will normally produce a bit more horsepower.
Sounds like it was a lot of fun.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 AM
10th Gear

wet 1/4 mile

I'm no pro, but it seems to me that launching at those high revs would hurt your time rather than improve it. I have an '04 DGP/Parchment/5 auto and though I've never had it at the track I feel I could run 14's. Mine is bone stock except for a K&N replacement filter. I smoked a 40th Aniversary Mustang GT convertable. (On the highway). Happy motoring!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your times sound ok. Reaction time is a bit long. VSA should be off but you don't want too much tire slip. Spinning tires do not accelerate the car. You just want the tires to break loose a little to keep the engine from bogging down, then they should hook up. Your second run sounds much betting in that area. Your trap speeds are much faster than those quoted from Edmunds.

On a side note:
Why would you treat your car this way? Thank God I'll never buy your car used. This is not good for your car. The "banging" you heard was axle tramp. Basically the tires gaining and losing traction and the resulting driveline trauma. CV joints can't take too much of that type of treatment. Nor can the clutch take too many 6K drops. I replaced CV joints on one of my cars because it was too fun to resist. Thank God I don't do that anymore. Gets expensive in a hurry.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:33 AM
On the way!

Yeah - I wouldn't beat on your car like that. It doesn't help your time, and can get very expensive. I was reading your post, thinking "Ouch! That poor car!"

I'm not sure what to think about the time. I thought the 6 speed '04 was faster than that, but the humidity would have definitely had an affect.

BTW - a perfect light at the track here in Orlando is .500 (not .000). They must use different timing for us track newbies.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Racer

nice run...get new tires...and pray for the 40-50 degree temperature to hit in...and make sure its dry...therefore result in 14's - mid 14's. =)
Old 10-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, I know this is all fun and games, but it's destroying your car. Hope you don't get on the forum in a few months and start badmouthing Acura when things start to break. We have a sport luxury car built to drive not race. Have fun but know it comes with a price later. Flame away!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Poor car =(, hey it's your investment though, you can do whatever you want!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the replies, this is great feedback.

Actually those track conditions sound pretty good. Cool air and high humidity will normally produce a bit more horsepower.
I believe what really hurt me was that the track itself was not completely dry. They did not seem to do a good job of drying the track off because of time pressure.

Why would you treat your car this way? Thank God I'll never buy your car used. This is not good for your car. The "banging" you heard was axle tramp. Basically the tires gaining and losing traction and the resulting driveline trauma. CV joints can't take too much of that type of treatment. Nor can the clutch take too many 6K drops. I replaced CV joints on one of my cars because it was too fun to resist. Thank God I don't do that anymore. Gets expensive in a hurry.
Ha, I know.... I felt bad about it (for 2 seconds...) , but oh well you live and you learn, hopefully thatll be the last time I get that. It did not happen on the 2nd run at all (prbly cause the VSA engaged...) I shall be more careful when I try it again with the VSA turned off, (start off slow, work my way up, see what my limits are). The excitement of testing it out for the first time was prbly the main cause....

BTW - a perfect light at the track here in Orlando is .500 (not .000). They must use different timing for us track newbies.
Yeah- that was basically the word aorund the track.

Guys, I know this is all fun and games, but it's destroying your car. Hope you don't get on the forum in a few months and start badmouthing Acura when things start to break. We have a sport luxury car built to drive not race. Have fun but know it comes with a price later. Flame away!
Warranties are awesome.... in 4 years ill prbly be driving an 08 model.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Ya know, I think you are correct on the RT being .500 for amateur and sportsman. I think the .000 is only for the pro-start.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Video

I just found out someone videotaped my first run from last night!! I don't know the quality of the video but I shall post the link to it when he sends me the converted mpeg.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:52 AM