Well it was only a matter of time...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Well it was only a matter of time...

It was bound to happen, my luck has been working for me far too long, 10+ years I've been riding this lucky streak.

Tonight while driving on the Mass Pike to the airport to pick up a friend, where it goes from 55 to 45 (and clearly I was not paying attention), I got nabbed by a trooper on the side of the road

I thought it went 45MPH right before you enter the tunnel to the airport, not where I was at, but I guess I was wrong. He had me going 20 over, 65 in a 45, and wrote me up for 15 over... $150 plus the steps on my insurance...

I want to fight it, but I'm not worried about the ticket as much as the insurance. I mean in reality it's my own fault, and it happens, not much I can do...

I mostly blame the car. I've been driving on the back roads to work recently, and haven't been able to open her up much, so when i get on the highway, it's nice to push it from time to time....
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Sorry to hear.

It happens to the best of us, unfortunately, and sometimes it seems to occur at the most inopportune times (ie. when we get a new car).

Darn TL 6MT

Maybe time for a radar detector
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Yea, I was thinking about that, getting a radar detector, probably wouldn't have worked here, I was coming around a corner in a tunnel.

But actually as I'm thinking about this whole ticket I got, one thing is still bugging me. The officer had someone else pulled over when he got me. Meaning he must have been sitting in his car when his radar went off while he was issuing another citation. He looked up and saw my car there (I think there was another car near to me). And he stepped out of his car and waved me over... Technically how could he have known that was my car that signaled the radar. Also I thought officers need to estimate the speed while using the radar to make sure they coincide.

The joke too was that when he was done with me, he flagged someone else down right after (nabbed 3 people in about 5 minutes).

I'm trying to search now to see if I can fight it. It would be worth it just because I don't want to get screwed by my insurance premiums...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry to hear.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would fight it because you have a good case IMO. If anything the judge might fine you but throw out the points, who knows.

If it makes you feel any better, when I saw the title to this thread and then read about your lucky streak, I for sure thought that you had gotten into an accident. Glad it was only a ticket though.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Always fight, plea bargaining should get 15 mph over to about a seat belt but it depends. In NY a seat belt is no points but it's 3 years on your DMV record. In most cases to the insurance companies if there's no points, no premiums and even the smallest of points for a minor moving violation should result in nothing if you are already clean. To be sure spend the money on a good traffic lawyer. Usually most end up spending more on tickets and increased premiums anyway plus you don't even have to go where you might miss out on work and possibly more money.

Ticketing is more than just for safety it's BIG business, really big. They want to cut deals because they don't want these things dragged out as it truthfully is unconstitutional how they try these matters in court and no ticket will ever uphold under proper representation. It's a scam and is all about the money. The cop probably didn't even know how much he was writing you for so he said 15 mph over sounds good.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 01-05-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I get a speeding ticket every 2 years like clockwork it seems.... I've actually never noticed my premiums go up when I got them. I don't know why this is, but I think smaller insurance companies forgive a ticket as long as there was significant time between the last one.

Perhaps yours won't go up either?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 AM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, at just 10 mph over the limit and with a good driving record (at least, my experience in MD), just go to court. Do not plead NOT GUILTY and start playing 'wanna-be lawyer' - this may just irritate the judge. Simply plead 'Guilty with explanation,' state your driving record, accept the mistake (new car handling... vehicle did not seem to be going that fast...) and simply ask the judge for mercy. The judge would usually rule for a reduced fine or probation period.... Better yet, the cop may be a no-show.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
It was bound to happen, my luck has been working for me far too long, 10+ years I've been riding this lucky streak.

Tonight while driving on the Mass Pike to the airport to pick up a friend, where it goes from 55 to 45 (and clearly I was not paying attention), I got nabbed by a trooper on the side of the road

I thought it went 45MPH right before you enter the tunnel to the airport, not where I was at, but I guess I was wrong. He had me going 20 over, 65 in a 45, and wrote me up for 15 over... $150 plus the steps on my insurance...

I want to fight it, but I'm not worried about the ticket as much as the insurance. I mean in reality it's my own fault, and it happens, not much I can do...

I mostly blame the car. I've been driving on the back roads to work recently, and haven't been able to open her up much, so when i get on the highway, it's nice to push it from time to time....
Just go to court and plead guilty. In MD you can pay a smaller fine and do state work in lieu of points.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,209 Likes on 4,846 Posts
Id definately fight it. You may get off lucky and just need to take defensive driving.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Drifting

Interestingly... this is what I found on the State of MA site. Again, it's on the fine I'm worried about, it's the steps on my insurance (MA doesn't do point, they're a tight regulation with insurance companies).

The following is the current surchargeable point schedule in Massachusetts:
  • Major traffic violation (such as DUI): 5
  • Major at-fault accident (such as a claim over $2,000): 4
  • Minor at-fault accident (claim of $500 to $2,000): 3
  • Minor traffic violation (such as speeding): 2
You get a free pass on the first non-criminal minor traffic violation, which will not be subject to a surcharge. After that, the points start to rack up.

This would be my first non-criminal minor traffic violation... But I think my wife got a ticket a couple years ago, and this didn't apply... hmmmm
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pokin
Well, at just 10 mph over the limit and with a good driving record (at least, my experience in MD), just go to court. Do not plead NOT GUILTY and start playing 'wanna-be lawyer' - this may just irritate the judge. Simply plead 'Guilty with explanation,' state your driving record, accept the mistake (new car handling... vehicle did not seem to be going that fast...) and simply ask the judge for mercy. The judge would usually rule for a reduced fine or probation period.... Better yet, the cop may be a no-show.
The first part of this thread is bad advice. I'm not saying walk into court and act like Johnny Cochran, but in NY for you even to go before a judge you have to plead not-guilty. You can do this one of two ways, mail it in and plead not guilty or go to a hearing and plead not guilty and end up with the same result - a court date. Things may be different in NY, but the process is confusing the first time you go through it but not hard to adapt to.

Let me preface the remainder of this post by saying, I have never been convicted of a moving violation - granted I drive slow and am not near as dumb as I used to, but I have accomplished some pretty impressive feats in my younger years. The process, again this is for NY, it may vary slightly so check before you look at this as cut in stone. You need to schedule a court date, that will be scheduled generally a few weeks from when the ticket was issued. I have never been to traffic court that is run like a "real" court, they are always fairly informal and highly inefficient affairs - be patient and don't get frustrated. Every single time I have gone to court the judge will call you up and the cop who issued the ticket, if he is not there, it will be thrown out, I've seen threats of it being "re-issued" but I suspect it would not stick and be more trouble then it is worth on their end. If the cop is there, or a representative on his behalf the judge will ask you to step aside and see if you can "negotiate" this yourselves. This is where having a clean record comes in handy, don't beg, but explain to the officer that you have a clean record, you were just moving with the flow of traffic and didn't notice the speed limit dropped where it did, you understand he is doing his job and this is his call, but you are asking to reduce infraction to something that is a non-moving violation. This way the court gets a little money, you learn your lesson and your driving record remains clean. Cops are humans too, if you are honest and respectful it will probably go a long way and get you the best possible outcome. I've never seen anyone have luck negotiating with a judge, if the officer wants to press the charges, you stand very little chance of winning, at this point, looking at the infraction I wouldn't invest any more time in fighting it, you probably will not win. It sounds like the cop who issued the ticket is a busy boy who is looking for a promotion, writing a lot of tickets is a good means to that end, but as you get promoted you need to be able to show compassion and understanding while still enforcing the law. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Don't sweat it petec. It happens to the best of us too.

I got my first speeding ticket since 1997 this past July down in Felton, Delaware in much the same way (i.e.: trooper on the shoulder, pointing me over). But at my age and general driving record, I'm not too concerned about any marked increases in my insurance rates. (The only thing that annoyed me was that I was actually driving with fuel economy in mind as opposed to "time economy" when the shakedown took place)
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm not sure how the Mass Courts are different for fighting a ticket. But the one thing that annoys me the most is that this happened on the Mass Pike, a massive highway, and I guess there is a short section where it goes from 55 to 45. I don't think there is any exit, onramp where that speed limit slows down... it just doesn't make sence why it drops like that.

I think my insurance company follows the SDIP (Safe Driver Insurance Program), Which is a MA program that recently changed. It was a step based system where surcharge-able events would increase your step (and premium). I'm going to check with them to confirm what I see online about the 1st pass is free. I've been with them for over 5 years, and it's my first moving violation.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
^^ The ticket WILL get posted on your driving record regardless of what your research says. I should know this as my first ticket was back in 04 and it was the same as yours, 15 over the speed limit.

Your best bet is to appeal it and see where it goes rather than just paying for it in order to get it over with.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Minnesota, we can ask for a continuance for dismissal as long as your record is relatively clean. It basically means you pay the ticket, but it stays off your record as long as you stay clean for the next 12 months.

Check it out, see if it'll work in your neck of the woods...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
In Minnesota, we can ask for a continuance for dismissal as long as your record is relatively clean. It basically means you pay the ticket, but it stays off your record as long as you stay clean for the next 12 months.

Check it out, see if it'll work in your neck of the woods...
Good call I forgot about that one! In NY it's called a adjournment in contemplation of dismissal commonly referred to as an ACOD
Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm not sure how the Mass Courts are different for fighting a ticket. But the one thing that annoys me the most is that this happened on the Mass Pike, a massive highway, and I guess there is a short section where it goes from 55 to 45. I don't think there is any exit, onramp where that speed limit slows down... it just doesn't make sence why it drops like that.
I think my insurance company follows the SDIP (Safe Driver Insurance Program), Which is a MA program that recently changed. It was a step based system where surcharge-able events would increase your step (and premium). I'm going to check with them to confirm what I see online about the 1st pass is free. I've been with them for over 5 years, and it's my first moving violation.
Sure there is. The state needs the revenue, duh!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
so a radar detector would not have saved him in this case?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't they have traffic lawyers there that do speeding tickets?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
go to court and speak to the prosecutor. see if he will cut u a break. u have a good driving record so no doubt he will
Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
so a radar detector would not have saved him in this case?
To be honest I just don't know if it would have helped... part of it was my not paying attention, there was a curve in the tunnel, If anything it would have given me a heads up that an officer was there... I am now considering a radar detector as a just in case... I don't want another ticket.

I'm not sure if MA will allow me to pay the ticket but expunge from my record (and not increase my premiums) if I keep my record clean... I doubt it...
Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
In TX you plead nolo contendre and ask to receive deferred adjudication. Go 3 or 6 months clean and the ticket is dropped from your record. YOU STILL PAY THE FINE. So the govt gets theirs and you remain clear.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Try to get it reduced. Don't be a dick about it. Sometimes all you have to do is ask the officer and explain your situation. If you have a clean record and agree to take some BS online class a lot of them will agree to reduce it.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dress up nice, go to court early and find the prosecutter.
After u find the prosecutter tell him that u know u are at fault and u have noone to blame but yourself and ask him politely if there is anyway they can make the fine higher but drop the points so your insurance does not go up.
Explain how you have a son that just got his license so your insurance went up all-ready and with the economy the way it is you really can not handle anouther bump on your insurance. Ask him if he can do anything to help and it would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then buy an Pasposrt 8500 or 9500
Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Lol, whats a prosecutter?? Is that like a guy that goes around cutting up poems???
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Lol, whats a prosecutter?? Is that like a guy that goes around cutting up poems???
tis better to be ticketed and beat it then never ticked at all.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Sure there is. The state needs the revenue, duh!
That's pretty much the truth. Traffic fines are generally for the purpose of generating additional revenue for municipalities than it is for ensuring public safety.

My traffic stop was also a "dropoff" zone. The ticket issuance was pretty much and exchange of information resulting in a bill that I had to pay, with no lecture or encouragement to drive safely. It pretty much felt the same as paying a restaurant bill (sans tip). I'm only surprised that he didn't ask for my Mastercard in order to make payment.

[Soapbox]I always tell my kids the a LEO's main function is the issuance of citations for the purpose of securing and bolstering municipal revenue. All other functions are a distant second.[/Soapbox]
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
go to court and negotiate, most likely you will make out better
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
hahaha, i got a ticket at that exact spot exactly one year ago..the cop was waiting inside the tunnel right before the exit and I didn't even think to slow down that much because I thought it was a 55 anyways- mine was only 100 on to my insurance and idk if i got pts. on my license because i was out of state
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM
how handsome I am

Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
how handsome I am

In FL, a plea of nolo contendere, depending on your driving record, will lessen the penalty. In this case, you mentioned this would be your first ticket in 10 years... good chance if you show up in court you could have it lowered to a small fine and court fees if its at all similar to how FL works.

Good luck.