Well, I couldn't pass this deal up, so I traded my TL for a Lexus LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Good for you... i dont think i can last 5 years, 75k miles in a LS.... I just can't handle all the comfort and quietness....

But as long as you like it, that is all it matters.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Agreed. I'm a German car fan all the way. It's all my wife has owned for the better part of 12 years now. That said, pre-owned S-classes scare me a bit. E-Class, C-Class... no problem... we know people who have tons of miles on those no worries. Even our previous E-Class was pushing 100k and out of warranty... no issues. S-Class though... different ballgame. As far as they've come with reliability, buying the top of the line is always a bit of a gamble. That is where new technologies are tested before they trickle down. Same way a 3 and 5 Series is typically more reliable than the 7 Series.

If you really want to go pre-owned MB... look C or E class. I do think this will change in a few years as this decade has been good to MB (and the other German brands)... but I don't know that I'd buy an S-Class older than 2010 (and I'd probably skip the 2014 model since it's the first version of the re-design)...
I have noticed that you seen quite knowledgable with MB's, so I am wondering if you can give me any pointers on the ML. I might be looking at a 2006-2008 model (going more towards 2008 to avoid balance shaft issues with early V6 engines as well as valve body issues). If I was to buy the ml550 can you give me an pointers on that engine and transmission combo?

Thank you
Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
I'm glad that the LS has been treating you well!

If and when you decide to move onto a LS 460, be weary of the front upper control arm bushings. They wear very quickly and you cannot buy the bushing separately from the arm, which means you're stuck buying all-new arms. Other than that, they're solid
Old 01-25-2017, 03:12 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Interesting thread. Had me looking at LS 460s!

I still remember playing around with a brand new LS 460 L in auto tech class way back then. It really blew my mind. Didn't appreciate the luxury or all the goodies back then, but I've started taking a lot more road trips these days
Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
A W221 (06-13) S550 could fit the bill. Nice car, good power, lots of tech, a decent step up from the W220; though I liked how the W220 S430 (adjustable airmatic) handled a bit more than the W221 S550.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by RDX10
I have noticed that you seen quite knowledgable with MB's, so I am wondering if you can give me any pointers on the ML. I might be looking at a 2006-2008 model (going more towards 2008 to avoid balance shaft issues with early V6 engines as well as valve body issues). If I was to buy the ml550 can you give me an pointers on that engine and transmission combo?

Thank you
Thanks for the kind words

Unfortunately I don't know that much about the German SUVs, MB included. Our experience has really been limited to the sedans. From the little I know it would seem that the late 00's models could still possibly burn a bit of oil. This is not uncommon for late 2000 German cars. Our old A4 and A6 used a little bit as well over time. So far we have not had that issue with either of the MBs we have owned. There is still a small chance of electrical issues, although from what I know it's typically little things (ex: Bluetooth stopped working on a friend's ML).

Overall though we've known a few people who had that time frame ML and they've all loved them. Most loved them so much when the time came for a new car, they got another ML. All the ones we knew had the V8 engine. So if you can find a clean on with a service history, you should be good. CPO will be even better just in case all the kinks haven't been worked out yet...
Old 01-25-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 5,298 Likes on 3,632 Posts

Thank you
Unfortunately I don't know that much about the German SUVs, MB included. Our experience has really been limited to the sedans. From the little I know it would seem that the late 00's models could still possibly burn a bit of oil. This is not uncommon for late 2000 German cars. Our old A4 and A6 used a little bit as well over time. So far we have not had that issue with either of the MBs we have owned. There is still a small chance of electrical issues, although from what I know it's typically little things (ex: Bluetooth stopped working on a friend's ML).

Overall though we've known a few people who had that time frame ML and they've all loved them. Most loved them so much when the time came for a new car, they got another ML. All the ones we knew had the V8 engine. So if you can find a clean on with a service history, you should be good. CPO will be even better just in case all the kinks haven't been worked out yet...
To further drift the thread: If the ML550 shares the drivetrain with the S550, my grandmother had absolutely no drivetrain issues with her '07 S550. She sold it with 45k on the clock & it made 3 trips from Houston to LA & 1 trip from Houston to Bangor, Maine.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
As much as I love the S-class, I'd be cautious with buying an out of warranty example without some thorough research & having the funds set aside for maintenance.
I recall my grandmother's '01 S430 wasn't the pinnacle of reliability. Her '05 S430 was an improvement & Her '07 & '14 were/are much better. She had an '89 420SEL first that was flawless in the 6 years she drove it & her '95 S420 was solid as well, the '95 went to my uncle & he had a few issues with it after a few months (limp mode).
Everything I've read about the S Class says that the version to get is the W220 as it's quite reliable and doesn't yet have all the extra electronic gizmos that can and will go wrong. It's the last of the mechanical cars that MB made. The W221 is rated much lower in reliability compared to the W220 which the only issue was the airmatic which you can get lots of aftermarket parts for and a leaky vent that can be fixed with with a drill bit. The engine and trans were pretty rock solid back then.

Agreed. I'm a German car fan all the way. It's all my wife has owned for the better part of 12 years now. That said, pre-owned S-classes scare me a bit. E-Class, C-Class... no problem... we know people who have tons of miles on those no worries. Even our previous E-Class was pushing 100k and out of warranty... no issues. S-Class though... different ballgame. As far as they've come with reliability, buying the top of the line is always a bit of a gamble. That is where new technologies are tested before they trickle down. Same way a 3 and 5 Series is typically more reliable than the 7 Series.

If you really want to go pre-owned MB... look C or E class. I do think this will change in a few years as this decade has been good to MB (and the other German brands)... but I don't know that I'd buy an S-Class older than 2010 (and I'd probably skip the 2014 model since it's the first version of the re-design)...
If I'm going to get a C or E class, I'm not even going to bother. I only want the S just to add to my automotive resume of ownership. It would be a third car and I've found a few examples that seem to be quite good for not much money.

A W221 (06-13) S550 could fit the bill. Nice car, good power, lots of tech, a decent step up from the W220; though I liked how the W220 S430 (adjustable airmatic) handled a bit more than the W221 S550.

Thank you
Biggest question I have is why do you want a German SUV? The American ones frankly just do a better job of doing SUV things than the Germans do. They basically jumped into the market with a "me too" mentality and are just raking in the cash from people who want the badge and not necessarily a good driving car.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Everything I've read about the S Class says that the version to get is the W220 as it's quite reliable and doesn't yet have all the extra electronic gizmos that can and will go wrong. It's the last of the mechanical cars that MB made. The W221 is rated much lower in reliability compared to the W220 which the only issue was the airmatic which you can get lots of aftermarket parts for and a leaky vent that can be fixed with with a drill bit. The engine and trans were pretty rock solid back then.

If I'm going to get a C or E class, I'm not even going to bother. I only want the S just to add to my automotive resume of ownership. It would be a third car and I've found a few examples that seem to be quite good for not much money.
The issues my grandmother had on her 2 W220s were mostly infotainment related, Nothing powertrain.
The NAV system in the '01 sucks, the '05 was much improved.

Her '05 threw an Airmatic error at me once, but a off/on took it away & it never came back.
The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by ajt123

Five years and about 75k miles later (131k now), the '04 LS430 is still going plenty strong. Since I've owned it, repair-wise I've replaced valve cover gaskets and lower front control arm bushings. Let me add that the oil was just barrrrreeeelllllly leaking and the bushings were still relatively okay, but they are one common "issue" with the 430 so I went ahead and replaced. Also, my driver door lock actuator went bad about six months ago but I refuse to pay $800 to fix it for a 13 year old car now. That's it. Everything else works the same as it did five years ago, and the driving experience is absolutely the same as it ever was, which is to say amazing. Door lock broken is annoying but the power steering wheel still whizzes in and out just as silently as it did five years ago when the car was then itself 8 years old. Same for the power folding mirrors and every single other gizmo.
I've replaced these door lock actuators in Honda's and Porsche's before, not as bad as you'd think to replace. The hard part tends to be getting the door panel off, and then removing the various rods and electric connections for the lock assembly which has the actuator and various switches.
The actuator part costs is ~60 for a Honda and takes ~1 hours per door to replace. YouTube is great for finding videos showing how to do it, saved me alot of time when I replaced the door handle microswitches on my brother's 996/
Old 01-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts

the damn part itself is ~600 bucks!

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...120-50030.html
Old 01-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

or ~400 here on eBay: 01-06 OEM *NEW* LEXUS LS430 FRONT LEFT DOOR LOCK EZ CLOSE OPTION ACTUATOR CLOSER | eBay

I thought when OP mentioned the 800 price, it was the labor that was too much..
Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM

That's pricey for a lock actuator. EZ Close option? Does the LS-series have 'soft close' doors? Not sure how that would affect the lock actuator.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
wow ridiculous prices, I had no idea Lexus OEM parts were that much.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

That's pricey for a lock actuator. EZ Close option? Does the LS-series have 'soft close' doors? Not sure how that would affect the lock actuator.

yeah i didn't really understand what the ez close part had to do with an actuator..

I wouldn't be surprised if the flagship LS had soft close doors really...
Old 01-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
yeah i didn't really understand what the ez close part had to do with an actuator..

I wouldn't be surprised if the flagship LS had soft close doors really...
The more loaded ones do, and I wish I had them. Apparently fixing the door lock is MUCH more complicated with the soft-close doors. Mine is a base with only a few options---but I wanted it that way. No way in hell I wanted a 13 year old NAV system in my car, let alone other fancy gizmos to potentially break. Other issues are the Mark Levinson audio, which blow subs and amps like crazy. My "base" Pioneer stereo is more than adequate, and zero problems. The top line ones with the air-ride, those dampers are $1500 per corner, and air suspensions fail like clockwork, doesn't matter what the car is.
00TL-P3.2 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
The more bells and whistles you have the more problem you are likely to have but overall Lexus ages well.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by ajt123
The more loaded ones do, and I wish I had them. Apparently fixing the door lock is MUCH more complicated with the soft-close doors. Mine is a base with only a few options---but I wanted it that way. No way in hell I wanted a 13 year old NAV system in my car, let alone other fancy gizmos to potentially break. Other issues are the Mark Levinson audio, which blow subs and amps like crazy. My "base" Pioneer stereo is more than adequate, and zero problems. The top line ones with the air-ride, those dampers are $1500 per corner, and air suspensions fail like clockwork, doesn't matter what the car is.
Are there remanufactured air suspension components for the LS like there are for other makes and models?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Are there remanufactured air suspension components for the LS like there are for other makes and models?

I don't think there are. I'm a regular on ClubLexus and I've never seen anything like that---but what a lot of members do is convert the air setup to regular springs when it fails and they seem to have no issues.

Honestly I can't imagine how the ride on my standard suspension could be improved...AT ALL.....so I wouldn't want the added headache of air springs either.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:30 AM

^ Sounds like the Mercedes 2.3-16 guys when the SLS (self-leveling susp) rear suspensions fails. Convert to conventional.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Yeah. For a bit I was looking at SLs and wondering why when some were listed, they were listed with conventional suspension. After doing a bit of research I figured it out
Old 01-27-2017, 08:51 AM

Meant 190E 2.3-16 with SLS, but the same applies regardless of model I suppose.
I only know about it because I've tried twice to buy a 2.3-16 & it just didn't work out. Same with the 4 2.6 Sportline LEs Guess a 190E just isn't meant for me.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Ex-OEM King

Lots of people across multiple makes do it. Even truck guys will swap the air suspension for springs.

I really don't get why springs aren't at least an option for some of these cars...
Old 03-17-2021, 07:27 PM
Pro

Wanted to check in, hope everyone is swell!

LS430 is still going strong. Still drives, rides, shifts silky as ever. I finally bit the bullet and fixed that damn driver door lock actuator for a rip off price. And I’ve replaced a thermostat that made car run too cool for $230. It never overheated. That’s it since last check in.

About to hit 150k. Such an amazing car. It feels special. Now that V8s are gone it’s nice driving a car with the smoothest V8 ever made. Every single time I drive it it’s a pleasure. It’s still so quiet and refined, so refined. Stomp the gas and she winds out quite nice.

I had my rear bumper redone and am about to redo the front too, both from scratches and dents. The paint still looks amazing, stunning even. I’m 9 years in and I finally found the shoes this car needed:

These are going to make the car look so sick.

I’ll be back with pics after I throw them on.

Never getting rid of this LS, will take it to 400k+. That will take a very long time. It has aged well, classic 3 box shape. It’s still bossy, it really will be with these new OEM rims.

Best car ever, by far the best car I’ve ever owned. It just drives and drives and drives. I’d drive it to Alaska and back tomorrow.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Pro

^ Yeah. For a bit I was looking at SLs and wondering why when some were listed, they were listed with conventional suspension. After doing a bit of research I figured it out
Oh Gosh speaking of SLs look at what I picked up in January:

2002 Mercedes SL500 Silver Arrow, 1 or 1450. 9.5/10 condition car. My dream car since I first saw it and I finally found one, only 59k miles.

We also picked up this the year before:

2014 LX570. TANK.

Yes, I do still have the LS430.....and she STILL is just as solid as day one. I replaced a $114 thermostat a couple years back, and a door lock a few years before. That's been it. This car will outlive me, it is so stupid reliable. EVERYTHING still works, power wheel, motorized vents, you name it.

Hope everyone's been doing well. But yes I've owned the car over a decade now, a used LS430 is a very safe bet!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by MrX123:
00TL-P3.2 (06-27-2023), 1StGenCL (07-05-2023), CCColtsicehockey (06-27-2023), CLtotheTL32 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 08:08 AM

Friend of mine had a Silver Arrow SL500. Nice car, and I've always liked the R129 body style.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:12 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Silver Arrow I always think of the Ludacris Rollout music video when I see one

I'm glad to see the LS is doing well. That's an absolute tank of a car!
Old 06-27-2023, 10:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Silver Arrow I always think of the Ludacris Rollout music video when I see one

I'm glad to see the LS is doing well. That's an absolute tank of a car!
Never saw it lol but I'll YouTube it.

And yes, LS is just ridiculous with the quality and reliability. Build quality overall is better in LS versus the Mercedes, and the LS was $30k cheaper, and my Mercedes comes from an era when they were also overbuilt like an LS430 was. Mercedes does have strengths (it's impossible to open the door from the inside with one finger, they're THAT solid) but overall Lexus wins especially when you factor in how much cheaper it was.
CLtotheTL32 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
How many miles on the Lexus?
Old 06-27-2023, 02:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
How many miles on the Lexus?
154k miles. Here is the condition of the interior, after a decent interior-only detail. As you can see the car still is flawless inside. It’s fucking insane how ridiculous Lexus used to be when they did it right and focused on just luxury.

The seat leather that looks gathered is normal.

I bought the OEM chrome rims a couple year ago, exterior shots:

Like the plate? Car people will get it as I mean the 430 is easily the best LS, IMO. Best Lexus period perhaps.

Last edited by MrX123; 06-27-2023 at 02:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrX123:
00TL-P3.2 (06-27-2023), CLtotheTL32 (06-27-2023), Curious3GTL (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 03:09 PM

For an '04, I'd say that's in pretty phenomenal shape

I'd, maybe, still be swayed by a clean W220 S430/S500, but those are getting few/far between. A S/C S55 though
Old 06-27-2023, 03:39 PM
Pro

For an '04, I'd say that's in pretty phenomenal shape

I'd, maybe, still be swayed by a clean W220 S430/S500, but those are getting few/far between. A S/C S55 though
Thanks! I have an R129 so I get to experience a fantastic Mercedes M113 V8 too ;-).
00TL-P3.2 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 08:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
I collect plates, so I LOVE the plate, that's awesome!

Thanks for posting pictures. My uncle was the original owner of a 2003 LS 430, sadly my cousin trashed it. He had the white interior and all the carpets were black, it was gross. Love to see clean kept ones still around!