Welfare wonder dinged my door!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 07:07 AM
VTEC HoooA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welfare wonder dinged my door!!

Tis the season...so I am out finishing up some last minute shopping (dreading the parking scenarios I have read so much about). I pull into my destination and scout the absolute farthest most secluded spot I coul find. I come out from the store to find this hunk of sh!t Jeep parked at angle that was way to close to my drivers side. It is dark so I scout the car to make sure it appears to be ok....it is not!! There is a mark 3 inches long running down the side of my drivers door. I flick my bic to shed some light on the car and low and behold I see plastic scuff marks (From the Jeeps door) and A FREAKING DING!! Needless to say my rage guage hit overdrive at this point! I waited around for 15 minutes to give the owner a piece of my mind (and potentially a piece of my fist) but to no avail. It must be nice to never have to worry about your car being focked up by some low life (especially when you are in said category).

The Jeep hadn't been washed in a decade, is full of trash, and is simply a hunk of rolling debris!

Word to the Welfare wonders of the world

Just because you drive a hunk of SH!T does not mean the rest of us do!!!!

Merry Freaking Christmas!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Man I am sorry to hear of your mishap. I agree with your assessment of the garbage offending vehicle and its driver. However, you are missing something here.

Revenge! You should have channelled your anger into some damage taken against the Jeep. Flattened tire(s), hard scratches down to bare metal with a church key (that's a bottle/can opener), carry a file for times just like these and remove some paint.

Hey, they didn't care about your car so they're not going to care about what you do to theirs.. and you shouldn't give one f--- about their piece of crap at all.

Take revenge and earn back a little peace of mind.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you write down the license plate #? Are you going to fix it out of your pocket? I was told that no matter how small the problem is, it is best to call cops if you don't want to pay for the damage that was not caused by you.

Sorry about the damage.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

I'm with Novice...

PLEASE tell me you got the plate # and called the cops... If they can't fix your car, maybe you'll end up with a new... err... old beater vehicle so that the TL can stay away from stressful situations as needed!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Banned

Damn shoppers and reckless people. I watched to woman fight over who was going to pull out of their parking spots first yesterday. I hate holiday shopping and all the cramped parking.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Man I am sorry to hear of your mishap. I agree with your assessment of the garbage offending vehicle and its driver. However, you are missing something here.

Revenge! You should have channelled your anger into some damage taken against the Jeep. Flattened tire(s), hard scratches down to bare metal with a church key (that's a bottle/can opener), carry a file for times just like these and remove some paint.

Hey, they didn't care about your car so they're not going to care about what you do to theirs.. and you shouldn't give one f--- about their piece of crap at all.

Take revenge and earn back a little peace of mind.
Whoa.

I would've gone with the license plate #, and calling the cops routine. I find that I can't willingly damage someone else's car even if they are in the wrong.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Whenever you run into this kind of situation, just take down the plate number and report it to the :cop:. No need to take it out on the other persons car.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Whenever you run into this kind of situation, just take down the plate number and report it to the :cop:. No need to take it out on the other persons car.

Keep in mind..that this time of season it's not safe to park anywhere. Everyone does last min shit so everyone is in a rush.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Welfare wonder dinged my door

I sympathize with you and your fustration. I too, would have reported this to the police. Just because someone drives a piece of shit doesn't necessarily make them a welfare wonder. That's a rather blanket indictment. I surely would describe them as a asshole. You and I are no better than someone driving a piece of shit just because we can afford $ 30k vehicles. Certainly, our worth as human beings aren't measured by the vehicles we drive.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:07 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another thing to think about. How do you know it was the Jeep owner. Perhaps another vehicle had come and gone from that same space, even another Jeep potentially. You just don't know, so to you and poster who suggested it, YOU could accidentally be on teh receiving end when someone else whips out of a space and you whip in, then your "neighbor" comes back, and keys your car, thinking it was YOU not the ass before you, who dinged his car. Think, guys. Don't just react!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
Tis the season...so I am out finishing up some last minute shopping (dreading the parking scenarios I have read so much about). I pull into my destination and scout the absolute farthest most secluded spot I coul find. I come out from the store to find this hunk of sh!t Jeep parked at angle that was way to close to my drivers side. It is dark so I scout the car to make sure it appears to be ok....it is not!! There is a mark 3 inches long running down the side of my drivers door. I flick my bic to shed some light on the car and low and behold I see plastic scuff marks (From the Jeeps door) and A FREAKING DING!! Needless to say my rage guage hit overdrive at this point! I waited around for 15 minutes to give the owner a piece of my mind (and potentially a piece of my fist) but to no avail. It must be nice to never have to worry about your car being focked up by some low life (especially when you are in said category).

The Jeep hadn't been washed in a decade, is full of trash, and is simply a hunk of rolling debris!

Word to the Welfare wonders of the world

Just because you drive a hunk of SH!T does not mean the rest of us do!!!!

Merry Freaking Christmas!!!
So your saying that you were mad, but not mad enough to remain for more than 15 minutes? Did you consider calling a tow truck for their legal parking. If they did not come out of the store before the truck got there, they would be paying for getting it out of impound.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by waymay1305
I sympathize with you and your fustration. I too, would have reported this to the police. Just because someone drives a piece of shit doesn't necessarily make them a welfare wonder. That's a rather blanket indictment. I surely would describe them as a asshole. You and I are no better than someone driving a piece of shit just because we can afford $ 30k vehicles. Certainly, our worth as human beings aren't measured by the vehicles we drive.
Very good point. In the book "The Millionaire Next Door" the typical millionair drives a car that's 6-7 years old. And remember, some folks driving these $30K cars are themselves a paycheck or two or from welfare. Welfare had not a thing to do with it (or why would they be out doing the same as you, shopping?)

Gotta be careful with stereotypes.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Advanced

damn sorry to hear about the car, especially since you went out of your way to park far away.

this season is crazy, somebody in our parking lot left their car keys in their door yesterday. people definitely have other things on their mind.

good luck with the repair.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Instructor

sorry to hear about damage to your TL, I always do the same thing as you by parking far away, but you never know what careless person is going to come next, hope you got their info and that its not too costly to repair.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by JSK22
damn sorry to hear about the car, especially since you went out of your way to park far away.

this season is crazy, somebody in our parking lot left their car keys in their door yesterday. people definitely have other things on their mind.

good luck with the repair.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Oakland Team Nighthawker

I'm glad folks responded to the stupid welfare comment, and i want to add my annoyance to the list. And revenge for an accidental car ding--that's ridiculous. If you are old enough to drive you should be old enough to think.

My TL is on it's way, and i hope i don't get any collateral revenge damage.

sheesh.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
You work your side of the road.. I'll work mine. I happen to disagree with you folks who have a problem with taking out some revenge against someone who wrongs you. But it's your car.. do as you please.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

I agree with the calling the cops above, I also would have waited however long it took for this jackass to come outside. It's a real tough time of year to park your car at a mall. I know how you feel on this, trust me. BUT, never never never sink down to their level and damage their car. You're basically agreeing with what they just did. G'Luck on the repairs and I hope everything works out.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:54 PM
VTEC HoooA

Lots of interesting responses here..

The Revenge tactic - I am not big on the revenge tactic. I did expel mass quantities of holiday saliva on said vehicles windshield, passenger, and drivers windows but that was the extent of my retribution. With my luck a cop would be driving by during the revenge process and I would be the one in trouble not the idiot who caused the damage to my car. Also keep in mind that the damage was done by the passenger door. The driver/owner may not even have known about it.

The Police tactic - To be honest the ding is slight, it is visible, but you really have to look for it (even in direct sunlight). I really prefer not to waste the time of an officer of the peace for such a minor issue. I would greatly prefer that they be off doing more constructive things (like arresting drunk drivers).

The 'Welfare' comment - perhaps this was not the best choice of words, and to those who I offended I apologize. Please understand that I was frustrated and was trying to expell some of my anger. The comment was derived from the fact that I work hard and like to enjoy the fruits of my labor (in this case a nice vehicle). I do everything in my power to maintain this vehicle with TLC. The fact that in an instant someone who obviousuly does not work very hard (at least work hard at maintainng an automobile) can come along an infringe upon my enjoyment upsets me to no end.

The self worth comment - This has NOTHING to do with self worth. If you derive your identity from a car, you need some professional assistance in reevaluating your place in life. I consider my car both a necessity, but also a hobby of sorts. It is something that I enjoy both when I drive, or when I maintain it. Some people could care less about their cars (look at the sheer number of monstrosities on the road) but I am not one of them.

The mysterious other car theory - It most assuredly was the Jeep that caused this damage to my vehicle. The angle of the vehicle, and more importantly the plastic on the doors all matched spot on. Top that off with the fact that I was in the store for maybe 20 minutes at most and the likelihood of multiple vehicles goes down significantly.

I didn't bother to write down the license plate number. Judging from the vehicle, which was literally overflowing with trash, cracked dashboard, various mechanical parts strewn about the interior, exterior paint flaking off, hood of the vehicle was bare metal (no paint due to excessive oxidation), I doubt very highly that this person is even a thousandaire, let alone a millionaire.

I guess my Christmas wish for 2004 is to bring back personal responsibility, and more importantly accountability for your own actions. We live in a blame blame society where everything is the fault of someone, or something else.

I guess what is comes down to is what would YOU have done if you damaged the vehicle next to you?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Instructor

I feel your pain and there is no worse feeling then coming back to your car in a parking lot and seeing some idiot has pinched you into your spot. Especially when you've parked away from everyone else and there are plenty of other spots for this guy to choose.

The TL is a "w i d e" car and most newer parking lots are creating smaller and smaller parking stalls.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:11 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
Very good point. In the book "The Millionaire Next Door" the typical millionair drives a car that's 6-7 years old. And remember, some folks driving these $30K cars are themselves a paycheck or two or from welfare. Welfare had not a thing to do with it (or why would they be out doing the same as you, shopping?)

Gotta be careful with stereotypes.

I read the book too and agree with it. Struggled with the purchase decsion but screw it, I like cars.

Realize though that it's 'JUST A CAR'. Shit is going to happen to you sooner or later. Life is to short so choose your battles. The only way to 98% protect your car is to put it in the garage and leave it there. I am sorry to hear about it anyway. HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Old 12-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by golferboy1862
I feel your pain and there is no worse feeling then coming back to your car in a parking lot and seeing some idiot has pinched you into your spot. Especially when you've parked away from everyone else and there are plenty of other spots for this guy to choose.

The TL is a "w i d e" car and most newer parking lots are creating smaller and smaller parking stalls.
It's times like this I'm glad I got a temporary Handicap Parking Permit, as those spots are really wide, with cross-hatch buffers on each side Don't worry, I got them through legit means... (I have the MRIs to prove it)

Waiting around for them to come back may be useless. I actually was in the car one time, when a lady dinged me. She said it wasn't her fault, and refused to give me any information. To make matters worse, the ding was really close to the edge of the fenderwall, so the paintless dent-repair place said it was unfixable
Old 12-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced

sorry to hear about your car i understand very much with people messing up cars on the road and parking lots and also doesnt matter how poor or rich they are people dont value their cars so why should they value any body cars people today are scumbags that why i drive two cars one to do last min shopping or etc and one to joy ride even when i drive an not such a great car i do keep it clean and watch out for other people car im about the only person i think that is very careful around other cars because i wouldnt want anything to happen to mine or theirs but people do not liv being careful so my words to you it could of be worst
could of had young punks have fun with the car or whatever they got those ding removers that are paint less try using them to remove the ding someone posted its a car its gonna get dings and shit on it they are right you could be driving and some road debrais hit the car enjoy the car just be careful or get a second car that you wouldnt care if a mack truck hit it like i do put miles on it keep tl insurance down with low miles lol ok im gonna end this because i think im taking shit because people arent even gonna care about this post

merry xmas and happy new year to every member on this post and others
best wishes to everyone and good heatlh
Old 12-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Getting dings and dents are all part of any car ownership...whether you bought a honda civic, BMW 745, or an Acura TL. You buy your car knowing its going to happen.

While this may be upsetting (and it would be for me too,) you just have to move on and pay your $30-$40 for paintless dent removal.

I don't think there is any analysis needed.

You can be the best driver in the world, but that doesn't protect you from getting nailed by a drunk driver. We all know this, and knowing this we are all taking the risk by buying, owning, and driving our cars. Same rules apply for the dents and dings-part of owning a car.

Sorry about your experience.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

I don't recommend parking in isolation. Its too tempting a target. I like to park closer to the "hive" but with one side against a curb and the other side againt a car already parked. I then "bias" my car slightly away from the other car but I don't try to double park. Much of the time when I return the same car is there. I haven't got a ding since I can remember.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro

Double park next time...well, that might be asking for an additional keying to your sides.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
I also choose to park my TL's right side next to an curb/island and next to a car already parked to the left, if possible. Since it would be their passenger door that would present potential damage, it is on about 50% of the exposure that a driver door would be.

Whenever I have parked way in the back of a lot in isolation, when I return, some horse's rosette has parked right next to me in a demolition derby special.

They must just do that to piss people like you and me off.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
WOW!!! so many hmmm.... angry replys!!! i mean tlking it over and getting money out of his pocket/getting his license plate no but putting out his tires and such??? thats 2 far.....
Old 12-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Moving

Moving this interesting thread to Cars & Bikes for wider exposure. Topic not exclusive to 3G TL. Everyone with a car is interested in this.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 PM
I love cars!

Sounds like a sound strategy to me BrandNew're TL. Parking in isolation almost draws those who think you "too good" to park near everyone else.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:27 AM
5th Gear

fortunately I live close enough to school that it's easier for me to walk than to find a space and walk 4 lots downhill anyways. However, during finals I drove because it was freezing and I found a nice spot in the first lot, but all the way down and with a curb so i backed in as close to the curb as i possibly could to give the person on my driver side enough room. sure enough a jeep grand cherokee parked right on the freakin' line. I notice the TT, GTI 20th anniv. & STI park together in the last lot possible up by the main road. oh but wait i live ACROSS that road even farther away