The way Lexus IS's Sequential Paddle Shifter works?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:48 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The way Lexus IS's Sequential Paddle Shifter works?

I thought it was just a regular tiptronic transmission except it added paddle shifters, but it seems thats not the case. In the IS when you shift to manual mode, it's basically giving you the option of changing the # of gears available to the car, but it still shifts on its own.

Example: You're in manual mode, 3rd gear around 4500rpms, you hit the + paddle shifter, but all it does is allow you to choose THE MAX available gear you can go up to, it doesn't tell the car to shift up to 4th. If you click the + paddles twice, you'll be telling the car that 5th gear is the max gear it'll go to and no more.

Is that how the system works? I'm not sure, but that's what I got from browsing the IS forums on another board.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know as well because I am considering purchasing this car in the next few months.

Will the 07 models offer a 6MT?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:01 AM
styling on you

Originally Posted by Edr0e
I would like to know as well because I am considering purchasing this car in the next few months.

Will the 07 models offer a 6MT?
According to a member on the clublexus boards, it's a definite no on the MT for 2007.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212084
Old 04-22-2006, 02:02 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

My mom has an IS250 AWD that I've driven pretty extensively and here's my take on the paddle shift system: It's the stupidest fucking design I've ever seen.

In my CLS 5AT, if you move the shifter to the left, the car stays in the gear that it was in when the shifter moved, and then gives you full control over the gear selection unless the computer deems that your change would be too extreme (high or low RPMs)

In my mom's IS 6AT, if you move the shifter to the left, the car automatically moves to fourth gear no matter what. The first time it did it I was like . So if I'm cruising at like 65, and I move it over to the manual mode, the car bucks because it's being shot down two gears. Then, to make matters worse, the system gives you no control over upshifts. There is a screen in the trip computer that shows gear placement.

There is an additional screen dedicated for the transmission that shows you what gear YOU want it to be in. The two are not neccesarily the same, because the additional screen shows the maximum gear that the computer will shift to. The trip computer shows what gear the computer has chosen.

So in the end, you only get to choose the maximum possible gear for the computer, which still choosed the actual gear at each moment. Downshifts are more direct, with the computer doing exactly what you tell it. It's really complicated and just generally a dumbass design.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:21 AM
styling on you

Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
My mom has an IS250 AWD that I've driven pretty extensively and here's my take on the paddle shift system: It's the stupidest fucking design I've ever seen.

In my CLS 5AT, if you move the shifter to the left, the car stays in the gear that it was in when the shifter moved, and then gives you full control over the gear selection unless the computer deems that your change would be too extreme (high or low RPMs)

In my mom's IS 6AT, if you move the shifter to the left, the car automatically moves to fourth gear no matter what. The first time it did it I was like . So if I'm cruising at like 65, and I move it over to the manual mode, the car bucks because it's being shot down two gears. Then, to make matters worse, the system gives you no control over upshifts. There is a screen in the trip computer that shows gear placement.

There is an additional screen dedicated for the transmission that shows you what gear YOU want it to be in. The two are not neccesarily the same, because the additional screen shows the maximum gear that the computer will shift to. The trip computer shows what gear the computer has chosen.

So in the end, you only get to choose the maximum possible gear for the computer, which still choosed the actual gear at each moment. Downshifts are more direct, with the computer doing exactly what you tell it. It's really complicated and just generally a dumbass design.

Yeah, when I first read the thread on the paddleshifters, I was like wtf? Whats the point in having them then? All it does is limit the number of gears the car will select. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds stupid as hell and is just a gimmick.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:06 AM
Banned

I've driven my bros IS250, it is different then my CLS when you shift in that mode. I think it is cooler to have it on the steering wheel too!

your right about this, so in the end, you only get to choose the maximum possible gear for the computer, which still choosed the actual gear at each moment. Downshifts are more direct, with the computer doing exactly what you tell it. It's really complicated and just generally a dumbass design.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:22 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
I hated the paddleshifters in the is300 and I said the same when I posted a mini review after driving an is350.

everything about the 350 os awesome except the stupid sequential gearbox.

they bring a 6mt version...they need it.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Not going off on anyone here but I have always thought that manual-mode autos sucked. If you buy an auto, put the damn thing in D and just drive it. If you really want to play with your car's gears, buy a stick and then you won't have to worry about the car not shifting.

:endrant:
Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

A lot of first year cars have that stupid "4th gear and no control over upshifts" shit. My first G35 had that trash and I hated it, they fixed it in the 05/06 model though.

RE: manumatics in general, once you drive an SMG tranny it's kind of hard to go back.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:35 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by cob3683
Not going off on anyone here but I have always thought that manual-mode autos sucked. If you buy an auto, put the damn thing in D and just drive it. If you really want to play with your car's gears, buy a stick and then you won't have to worry about the car not shifting.

:endrant:
I whole heartedly agree with this...BUT...also....drive an Audi with DSG, or M series bimmer with SMG (not the shitty SMG in the regular line.) And you open your eyes to whole new world. I still prefer a clutch...but man..those system have got it right.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
I whole heartedly agree with this...BUT...also....drive an Audi with DSG, or M series bimmer with SMG (not the shitty SMG in the regular line.) And you open your eyes to whole new world. I still prefer a clutch...but man..those system have got it right.
I completely agree with you about SMG, Ferrari F1, etc. systems. The ones I am talking about are the Acura, MB, BMW's normal auto, Porsche Tiptronic, etc type systems.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:18 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by cob3683
I completely agree with you about SMG, Ferrari F1, etc. systems. The ones I am talking about are the Acura, MB, BMW's normal auto, Porsche Tiptronic, etc type systems.
Actually, when I drove my uncle's Cayenne S around NJ for a couple days, I have to say I enjoyed that tiptronic system. Very nice layout with the thumb shifters on the wheel...good for a SUV.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Vik needs to post as he has one...
Old 04-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts

Where is the works cited page?

Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
Downshifts are more direct, with the computer doing exactly what you tell it. It's really complicated and just generally a dumbass design.

Originally Posted by Mikes96TL03CLS
Downshifts are more direct, with the computer doing exactly what you tell it. It's really complicated and just generally a dumbass design.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:11 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
^ omg........ :shakehead
Old 04-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by FastAcura

Where is the works cited page?

I think he was responding to his post....at least I hope so.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Indian Acura Driver

The CSX and RL ones are properly done. My friends old Lexus GS had a weird type of shifters...but it didn't do that.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Like some of you said, it has two screens showing two different gears.

If you're in 3rd in manual mode and you come to a stop at a traffic light. If you don't downshift to 1st gear, the manual mode gear selector will still show 3 but the automatic transmission has downshifted to 1st. That way, it'll automatically upshift til 3rd gear.

However, if you downshift to 1st at the traffic light, it'll hold that gear til you upshift.

I'm not sure about the downshifting to 4th part because I was in 5th gear on the highway when I shifted to manual mode. I could press + to upshift to 6th and - back down to 5th.