Washington State gets tough on left lane bandits

I hope All states start doing this.

I see this multiple times every day.

Hooray for Washington!

http://www.komonews.com/news/20656789.html

Poking along in the left lane? Prepare to pay

By Jenni Hogan
Watch the story
SEATTLE -- Even if you're going the speed limit it might not be enough to prevent you from getting a ticket if you're holding up traffic in the fast lane.

State troopers are on a mission to make sure the left lane on area freeways is used for its intended purpose: passing.

"We're doing 58, 59 miles an hour and they are just sitting there, traffic's passing them on the right hand side," Trooper Keith Leary said while pointing out a car in the left lane of Interstate 5. "That's exactly what we don't want to see happen."

The driver, Brasta Bonifcho, said he was surprised what he was doing was illegal.

"I didn't know that, I really didn't know that," he said. "I am guilty, no question about it."

Leary reminded Bonifcho that drivers need to stay in the right lanes unless they're passing another vehicle.

Everyone pulled over during Leary's patrol said they thought it wasn't a problem as long as they were going the speed limit. But the law says otherwise.

"It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic," the statute reads.

The reason for the law is to help keep traffic moving and to diffuse potential road rage situations.

"It just takes one thing to set them off," Leary said of frustrated drivers stuck behind slower moving vehicles. "If we can alleviate one of those things, maybe we can avoid an assault."

The State Patrol said several recent collisions caused by slow vehicles in the passing lane have prompted increased enforcement of the law along area interstates.

Drivers in the HOV lanes are exempt from the rule, but anyone else could be facing a $124 ticket.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hope this happens in CA. But...what are the chances?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
people are stupid. maybe they forgot that rule after they passed their drivers exam.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
But what if you are doing 60 mph and the guy in the right is also doing 60, if I "pass" him would I get a ticket for speeding?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
God I hope it does, PPPPLLLEEEAAASSEEE!!!!

Adopting a more European/Autobahn sense of driving would be nice.

<-------------Guy that really hates slow drivers in the fastlane and hopes this dream comes true.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
meh....who cares...there is so much traffic in SoCal you can never get up to the speed limit any way.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
I don't understand how you can get a ticket for doing the speed limit in the left lane though, as if the lane is for speeding only, which is illegal. In driver's ed, they told us that speeding, even to pass another car, is still illegal.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This is awesome, I hope other states follow the lead.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps

<-------------Guy that really hates slow drivers in the fastlane and hopes this dream comes true.
60 mph in SoCal?

Edit - Saw Moog's post after I posted
Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
The driver, Brasta Bonifcho, said he was surprised what he was doing was illegal.
effing dipshit

Locally a guy went to court because he was traveling too slow, 58 in a 65. Judge threw it out because Trooper didn't have calibration certificate with him. But again asshole made comment about not knowing he could be going too slow.

I wish Virginia would get heavy on this, they come out every few years a say the will, but they don't. It is a law that left lane is passing lane.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts

No more Prius drivers doing 48 in the left hand lane while the rest of us folks are (trying) to go 75
Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

No more Prius drivers doing 48 in the left hand lane while the rest of us folks are (trying) to go 75
Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

I've never seen a Prius driver doing anything under the speed limit (at least here in CA). Often they are one of the faster cars on the freeway. Never really understood that one
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
I've never seen a Prius driver doing anything under the speed limit (at least here in CA). Often they are one of the faster cars on the freeway. Never really understood that one
The Portland to Salem stretch is really bad for slow Prius drivers.

The one exception I've seen was this past summer..

- Oversized wheels and tires

- Roofrack

- windows were all down

- female passenger had her foot hanging out by the mirror

- it was doing at least 80 mph

- California plates
Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Not just of the freeway, most think the own a 60's muscle car.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo

I wish Virginia would get heavy on this, they come out every few years a say the will, but they don't. It is a law that left lane is passing lane.

I know a guy who actually got a ticket on 95 for passing someone on the right lane.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
awesomest thing ever.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Hopefully this will trickle south. Oregon drivers are the PITS when it comes to passing lane hogging.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TommySalami
I don't understand how you can get a ticket for doing the speed limit in the left lane though, as if the lane is for speeding only, which is illegal. In driver's ed, they told us that speeding, even to pass another car, is still illegal.
The left lane is to pass vehicles that are going under the speed limit. i.e. trucks, cars with issues, hauling something, etc....the lane isn't for "speeding" it's for doing the speed limit when others are going too slow.

When it's raining/snowing (especially in the beginning of the Winter season) that is often the case here; people do 40-50 mph on the freeway because of poor conditions. People with snow tires have the left lane.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
about bleeding time.....

nothing more annoying than someone sitting on the left lane doing the speed limit when traffic is heavy....

I grew up driving alot in Europe and you do not sit in the fast lane doing the speed limit.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
This is my favorite traffic law in WA...
RCW 46.61.427
Slow-moving vehicle to pull off roadway.

On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed. As used in this section a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.427

I wish we had it in MA and then I wish they would enforce it.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I wish this would make its way here.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well then slow down slightly and pull in behind the car you are next to or slightly speed up to get in front of him then return to the same speed. There is NO need to clog traffic up riding next to someone doing the same speed as them.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts

There are two laws being violated if that were to happen in California-- one violation for not yielding to faster traffic in the left lane, and one for exceeding the maximum speed limit. Both can result in tickets.

Here in Los Angeles & Orange counties, I see more Prius drivers than Porsche or exotic car drivers speeding through surrounding traffic.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good, and for the people who think you shouldnt get pulled over for doing the speed limit in the left lane while there is someone in the lane next to you going the same speed or slower than either pick up the pace for a second or slow down. there is nothing more annoying than cruise control passers, either pick up the pace for 2 seconds or don't take 10 mins to pass one person.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug

I told my girlfriend to move out of the fast lane once, traffic was light and she complained an SUV was following too close while she was doing 80. She went crazy on me for saying she was wrong for not moving out of the way.

I had to explain to her the concept of using the fast lane as a passing lane in light traffic. She finally agreed with me and stays out of it in light traffic conditions.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sporting
But what if you are doing 60 mph and the guy in the right is also doing 60, if I "pass" him would I get a ticket for speeding?

No, you'll get a ticket for being retarded.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by v6cord2k5

I told my girlfriend to move out of the fast lane once, traffic was light and she complained an SUV was following too close while she was doing 80. She went crazy on me for saying she was wrong for not moving out of the way.

I had to explain to her the concept of using the fast lane as a passing lane in light traffic. She finally agreed with me and stays out of it in light traffic conditions.
LOL! I did the same once.. Asked my then g/f to move out of the fast lane (there was no one around) and had my ass chewed for that.... There is just no reason to sit on the fast lane even if there are no cars around.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
signs are on interstates and most highways, THANK GOD Washington state HP is taking action over this...it's bullshit that people are doing the speed limit or slower in the left lane and holding up traffic.

...i.e. I-5, highway 18, 167, and the beginning of I-90 going east...all horrible during morning and afternoon traffic because of slow pokes in the left lane...

Any time the interstate or highway goes down to two lanes those signs saying, "Left Lane for Passing only" pops up.

Last edited by BigLizard; 11-04-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Eggplant-EX
LOL! I did the same once.. Asked my then g/f to move out of the fast lane (there was no one around) and had my ass chewed for that.... There is just no reason to sit on the fast lane even if there are no cars around.
Yes there is, the road is usually in much better condition. Not nearly as torn up from the big rigs as the right lane.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see them really enforce this on an ongoing basis. I drive from home to Bothell for work and back M-F and I can't tell you how many times I move around the person in the left lane just to get back in there myself and continue moving on. Even today, this pickup truck must of been on cruise doing 60, I couldn't tell if anyone was in front of him or not and when I went to get in the middle lane, I realized there weren't any cars in front of him for at least half a mile. I know he saw me and a bunch of other people behind him. As I took over his lane, I saw other people follow but he never got out of that damn lane! I hate 405...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stlswagger
I'd like to see them really enforce this on an ongoing basis. I drive from home to Bothell for work and back M-F and I can't tell you how many times I move around the person in the left lane just to get back in there myself and continue moving on. Even today, this pickup truck must of been on cruise doing 60, I couldn't tell if anyone was in front of him or not and when I went to get in the middle lane, I realized there weren't any cars in front of him for at least half a mile. I know he saw me and a bunch of other people behind him. As I took over his lane, I saw other people follow but he never got out of that damn lane! I hate 405...
405 is
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by v6cord2k5

Originally Posted by Eggplant-EX
You may have been misinformed, there is no such thing as the "fast lane" its the "passing lane".

The concept that the left lane is the fast lane is half the problem. All of the lanes are governed by the same speed limit, the left one is for passing the slow moving traffic.

If you are not actively passing another vehicle (meaning there is no vehicle to your immediate right) you should not be in the left lane end of story. It doesn't matter if you are going 85mph and you don't think the guy behind you should drive faster than that, what speed the guy behind you should be driving is the Polices problem not yours. If you are in the left lane and some one is behind you, pull to the right and let them by.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
if you guys are going the same speed, just drive behind each other
Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
thats why you hit the other pedal and slow down to GTFO out of the passing lane.

why would you be doing 60 int he passing lane anyway?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
Slow left lane drivers are PITA.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
So... is it legal to go above the speed limit for a few seconds while passing? How do cops feel about it?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
So... is it legal to go above the speed limit for a few seconds while passing? How do cops feel about it?
1) No, thats why it uses the word limit. 2)They don't care.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Fast lane and Passing lane is just terms but mean the same thing. Calling that out needlessly is like being a Grammar Police.

Ugh!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Driving in the passing lane is illegal period. Just because you are following one law, IE the speed limit, does not mean you get to brake another.

Quick Reply: Washington State gets tough on left lane bandits