Vette or M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Honkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I think Corvettes are kinda white trash. I put them in the same category as Firebirds, Camaros, etc. The M3 is sporty, fun, nice looking...and above all....CLASSY.

-Aaron
Old 08-19-2002, 09:27 PM
My other car is an NSX

Study wisely Grasshopper

I'm not going to tell you which to get. Your best bet is to RENT a Vette and BMW. There are places that rent those kind of cars, you just have to look. Drive each for a day, or more.

Ask yourself what you plan to use the car for:

1. Driving to work/daily driver
2. Weekend driving/pleasure
3. I will be taking more than me and one passenger yes/no
4. Well, you get the idea.

You should be able to make a sound decision based on your test drives and worksheet. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2002, 09:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 4pumpedCL
and above all....CLASSY
Do you buy cars to drive and enjoy or to impress others?
Old 08-19-2002, 09:39 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HANDS DOWN THE Z06!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Beltfed

both no? you wouldn't drive a civic with a fart pipe, or a monster buick.......
Old 08-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

No offense, but a Z06 will bitch slap an M3 in every single performance category there is......a 996 TT is about on par with a 2002 Z06.

Give credit where credit is due folks.....Chevy did their homework with the Z06.
uhm, from the autoweek comparo they did on the TV m3 was second in performance but i wouldn't call it getting BITCH slapped. Interior alone gives the m3 the thumbs up.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata

uhm, from the autoweek comparo they did on the TV m3 was second in performance but i wouldn't call it getting BITCH slapped. Interior alone gives the m3 the thumbs up.
If I recall, wasn't that test done with a 01 Z06? In any case, a 02 Z06 will outperform a new M3 by a healthy margin.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Racer

I'll field this one.

No, I don't. But if I ever spend 60 G's on a car, it better goddamn well appear exactly as I want it. It's a minute part of car ownership, but the reality is that with any fine car, people will take notice and usually admire or condescend your taste. As I pointed out earlier, the trend in my area favors the M, and well, I'm trendy like that. This doesn't mean much, and would only play a very small part in my decision to buy. Let's just say I'd rather appear, excuse the blunt terms, "euro-trash-yuppie-sportscar-asshole" than say, "over-the-hill-only-drives-slow-in-the-right-lane." Both are unfortunate I suppose.

I'm a little surprised at the question, I've always considered you one of the top 5 posters here. You're kidding, right?

Edited to point out that obviously I don't care too much about trying to impress others. The CL is nice, but...
Old 08-19-2002, 10:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by proactive
I'm a little surprised at the question, I've always considered you one of the top 5 posters here. You're kidding, right?
You lost me with the above statement......I hope I'm not one of the top 5 posters (I'm not even at 1500 posts yet).
Old 08-19-2002, 10:26 PM
Race Director

id go with the m3..

zo6 just doesnt seem practical.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:27 PM
Racer

You lost me with the above statement......I hope I'm not one of the top 5 posters (I'm not even at 1500 posts yet).
Quality, not post count nerds.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
M3 all of the way!!!!!!! The same performance and waaaaaaay more comfort. The M3 will hold its resale alot better too!!!!!
Old 08-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i love Z06's but...M3 makes more sense. You only need one car. You can drive it in the winter, easier to get in and out of. Better resale value. A trunk (althought it isn't much better!!) and most importantly....back seats!! And it still drives like mofo!!
Old 08-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by proactive

Quality, not post count nerds.
Oh, gotcha......I try posting info worth posting, with little BS stuck in between (sometimes a little squeezes through though).

I hear what your saying, now that I thought about it for a few seconds. Just seems that many people buy cars for the sole purpose of impressing others, especially when they dismiss certain cars (whatever it might be) automatically and choose others that have less performance/features but have a well established nameplate/cachet. Although, I can appreciate if someone wants a car with a little of everything (Performance, Features, Class).
Old 08-19-2002, 10:53 PM
Banned

It seems to me that u got ur mind made up just by looking at your avatar, but i would go for the Z06. It is faster, and if you want to impress the ladies, the can't tell the difference between that and a 3 series. A Z06 can be quite pimp wit HRE's and an exhaust. Not to mention it is made in the U S of A.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:01 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

seriously though a Z06 is phenomenal... I raced on the other night and the beats just roared off the line and ate my wussy little honda for a snack... it's handling I hear is just as great as it's acceleration... M3 is a nice car... more of a status symbol though than the raw performance of the Vette... it is much more comfy to drive drive and is much better lookin, I feel, on the interior... if a pure performance car is what you're looking for go for the Vette... if yo uwant something that has a decent backseat and a bunch of ritzy options then go for the BMW... both nice cars... both of which I could only dream of having hehe... either way a good decision...
Old 08-19-2002, 11:06 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

i didnt read any of the recent posts but if you ask me.....

just stick with tha CL. slap on a few NOS stickers and Jap lettering and you should be able to "bitch slap" any Z06 or M3 anyday.

obviously just kidding. ill take a Black M3 or Black Z06. depends on my mood.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:08 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno...

I think if I was buying one or the other... it would be the M3.

BUT... I also kinda hope that wouldnt be my choice...

I love the Z06... awesome car... and can only be made BETTER.

The M3... well, actually, I wouldnt buy one now anyway... 2003 will still have all of this years problems... and regardless I think I'd rather have the V8 that will soon be available.

No replacement for displacement. Plus the current M3 is going to get its ass handed to it by the near identical but BETTER S4 in less then a year.

The Z06 is in a class by its own. IMO its only direct competition is the Viper. Thats the only thing in its league.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:16 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Originally posted by soopa
I dunno...

I think if I was buying one or the other... it would be the M3.

BUT... I also kinda hope that wouldnt be my choice...

I love the Z06... awesome car... and can only be made BETTER.

The M3... well, actually, I wouldnt buy one now anyway... 2003 will still have all of this years problems... and regardless I think I'd rather have the V8 that will soon be available.

No replacement for displacement. Plus the current M3 is going to get its ass handed to it by the near identical but BETTER S4 in less then a year.

The Z06 is in a class by its own. IMO its only direct competition is the Viper. Thats the only thing in its league.

yeah, but the viper has a distinct look that just grabs attention and holds it. whereas the Z06 to all lay people has nothing that discerns it from the normal Vettes besides the plate on the side. on the same page tho the M3 does look like a 330 or 325 or 323 with a hella cool body kit and rims. and yeah that S4 is supposed to be something like 350hp? right? and the RS4 would keep up with the Z06 with 450hp? i think thats what i heard.

id say Z06 in black. cant wait to see whats instore for the C6 Z06.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:43 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He wants the car for the car nor for what he wants people to think about him..
Too many you guys are saying M3 cuz its cooler or you'll get chicks..
Who wants BMW Eurotrash Money greety hoes when you can get trailpark girls withe the Vette..

Ernie go with the Yellow Z06 and take me for a ride!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2002, 12:50 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
This post is soo funny..

BMW's are so played out in NJ.
I know 2 kids that I went to HS with have a new M and one of their engins went.
I know many more with 328 and 330.
And them dudes even though im really good friends with some actully just bought the car to try and get P-TAng.
I know alot of kids that also did juice to get P-Tang, to each his own.
Z06
I hate domestics just as much of the next one but the vette is a LEGEND...
Ernie if you a car enthusist you will get the Z06.
If you want/need the P-tang you will get the M3. ( and it does work cuz 1 of the dudes could not get p-tang if he fed the girl a 12 pack and a few Xanex/roofies, and now he actully gets pun)
Old 08-20-2002, 12:55 AM
on bin laden

ern,

you have my full support on whatever you purchase, and I will fulfill my obligation of "stress testing" it when I come out there to blow up all the hotties on the east coast.

~fotis

ps. get the fucking m3 and tell all the fockers on here to :sqntfawk:
Old 08-20-2002, 07:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by StonedCL
This post is soo funny..

BMW's are so played out in NJ.
I know 2 kids that I went to HS with have a new M and one of their engins went.
I know many more with 328 and 330.
And them dudes even though im really good friends with some actully just bought the car to try and get P-TAng.
Z06
I hate domestics just as much of the next one but the vette is a LEGEND...
Ernie if you a car enthusist you will get the Z06.
If you want/need the P-tang you will get the M3. ( and it does work cuz 1 of the dudes could not get p-tang if he fed the girl a 12 pack and a few Xanex/roofies, and now he actully gets pun)
I love you matt, it's your way with words. I buy a car for what the car is, not what people will think of me in it. Im going to chevy later on today to look and test drive one. I think I have a obligation to fill before I drop all this money, I should test drive some different cars. It will either reinforce my love for the M or maybe shake it up. Honestly I have not gotten the best treatment from BMW and I don't feel very happy with the sales staff or reporum and I've been to 3 diff BMW dealerships. They are cocky, and stuffy, and generally they think their shit don't stink cuz their high off their own cars. That's not my personality, that's not how I treat others and quite honestly to me, maybe not to you guys, buying the car, the treatment the excitement is half of owning the car. So far I'm gonna take out an E500 when they get here a Z06, a regular vette, an M3 and whatever else suits my fancy. Thanks for all the replies and honestly I did not think you guys would give the Z06 soo much credit since they seem to be High-browed around here. I saw the term 'white trash' thrown around and I think that's very uncalled for when your talking about a car that runs mid 12's out the front door of the dealership and handles right behind a porsche and ferrari. I don't care of what people think of me in my car. I get plenty of poon from my G/F of 5 years and I'm not insecure. Besides, if I get a Z06 or vette all I can say is I'll mod the FUCK out of it cuz it's american and it's cheap to mod . Thanks guys for all the feedback and by all means keep the opinions coming!
Old 08-20-2002, 07:41 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by eclipse23
Honestly I have not gotten the best treatment from BMW and I don't feel very happy with the sales staff or reporum and I've been to 3 diff BMW dealerships. They are cocky, and stuffy, and generally they think their shit don't stink cuz their high off their own cars.
Ernie, you’re going to have to get used to that if you want to fit in with the BMW crowd.

There ARE owners who appreciate the car for its capabilities, but I’d say 90% of BMW owners develop that “I’m better then you” attitude within a few weeks of ownership.
My fingers are crossed that it doesn’t happen to you.

Shawn S
Old 08-20-2002, 07:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shawn S
Ernie, you’re going to have to get used to that if you want to fit in with the BMW crowd.

There ARE owners who appreciate the car for its capabilities, but I’d say 90% of BMW owners develop that “I’m better then you” attitude within a few weeks of ownership.
My fingers are crossed that it doesn’t happen to you.

Shawn S
Shawn, Im a brass tacks guy, always have been, you've known me here for a long time. Trust me when I say that the car won't change me but it sure as hell is gonna change what percentage of rubber I leave at the bottom of my driveway when I zoom off to work every morning. Since my roots are in blue collar I don't think I could ever be soo high brow it's just not in my blood altough I do like nice things.

On a side note: (funny) When I was talking to my father last night on my way home from work I told him I wanted to test drive a Z06 or a regular Vette. He was like "dont give them nazi's any money, buy american" heehhhehhehhe I guess that's what my 66 year old father who sat through WW2 thought of my latest purchasing decision . He said the same thing when I bought the Mitsu GSX and the CLS Except replace the work 'Nazi' with 'Jap' . Ultimately it's my decision but I thought that was funny how old school my dad is, then again he was brought up in a time when these people were our enemies .
Old 08-20-2002, 08:29 AM
Banned

Z06 SLAUGHTERS M3 IN EVERY PERFORMANCE CATEGORY....PERIOD.

-its drivetrain is state of the art, bulletproof, tried and true fuckin balls to the wall power with exceptional moddability. (how many Z06 motors are blowing up on a regular basis?? thats right! none!!!)

-it stands out as a legend among all sports cars and gives virtually everything on the road (second to a lambo or ferrari and such) a serious ass whoopin and a reality check....

-can not be mistaken for a base model, aka 330ci....(what difference is there in appearance between the 330ci with sport package and the m3??? tailpipes?? sheesh)

-zo6 gets much more respect from all car enthusiasts across the board....a good number of people wont have a clue about an M3

-BMW ownership is expensive$$$$$$$ just wait for the maintainance...ouch up the ass!!

-Z06 will hold its value quite well, compared against virtually all other domestics

-incase you didnt notice, chevy extended its 0% finance to the vette...try to get a 0% loan on an m3!! hahahahahahaha

the list goes on and on...for me.....and for alot of other guys, the only answer is the Z06....and that answer has no doubt...if i had a Z06, i would NEVER EVER once have any type of envy for anyone in any type of BMW....ever....if i had an M3 i would second guess my desicion every time i saw a Z06....
Old 08-20-2002, 09:17 AM
Racer

Geez man that's a really tough decision and I would have a real hard time making it myself - but what a great problem to have!! Both cars make me drool so I don't know what the hell I would end up doing. Good luck - they're both unbeleivable cars!
Old 08-20-2002, 09:25 AM
Mugen Racing Team

I'd go with a M3.... a bimmer is a bimmer
Old 08-20-2002, 09:25 AM
whoXwanXsum

u guys who called the vette a white trash car...cmon! i hear alot of dumb shit on these board but damn, that comment is up there! i just cant see buying a 50k SUB COMPACT CAR that already has a history of a blown damn engine. a x co worker of mine bought one...i told his ass to get the vette he said...naw i want the m3. 15kmiles and a blown engine later, guess what he drives... a vette. everyone has an opinion though but again, the white trash comment was plain dumb. i like the m3 but not over a vette, not for the price, and not for reliability
Old 08-20-2002, 09:34 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a tough choice and if it was up to me (which it isn't) i'd have ot go with the M3. Sure the vette will kill it in performance but to me the M3 as a whole is just appealing. Now you go to figure out whats more appealing to you.

Whats the point of getting P-Tang when ya got minature cock and balls??
Old 08-20-2002, 10:06 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

He wants the car for the car nor for what he wants people to think about him..
Too many you guys are saying M3 cuz its cooler or you'll get chicks..
Who wants BMW Eurotrash Money greety hoes when you can get trailpark girls withe the Vette..

Ernie go with the Yellow Z06 and take me for a ride!!!!!!!!!!

M3 and Eurotrash aebaehaehaeh!!!!!!!!!!! You are friggin tool! About a year into the ownership.....lets see how many rattles you'll have with the z06.

Jimcol,
You could mistaken a c5 for a z06 if you don't look close enough.

-state of the art drivetrain......WTF do you think SMGII is?????

-m3 isn't a legend??

-z06 get's more respect????? What on the z06 board?

-m3 holds its value VERY VERY well.

Ernie,
Your a lunchpale kinda guy......you buy something because you enjoy it and not what it makes you look like or what people think. Either car is kick ass......but like Fotis said, get the m3 and tell the haters each other
Old 08-20-2002, 10:13 AM
B A N N E D

Rattles my ass..

I would take a few rattles over a BLOWN engin any day!

My dads 67 Vette has alot less Rattles then my CL-s.

Your a Tool , just cuz every other american car sucks ass and rattle dont mean the zo-6 will.

Zapa, I guess you one of them guys that need a nice car to get some pu-tang huh?

Put them both on Paper and the ONLY thing that the M3 has over the Vette is a backseat!

M3 sounds like a jap ninja while the vette roars like a harley..

I hate domestics also as I stated earlier but YOU MUST GIVE RESPECT WHERE RESPECT IS NEEDED!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:19 AM
B A N N E D

Rattles my ass..

Your a Tool , just cuz every other american car sucks ass and rattle dont mean the zo-6 will.

Zapa, I guess you one of them guys that need a nice car to get some pu-tang huh?

Put them both on Paper and the ONLY thing that the M3 has over the Vette is a backseat!

M3 sounds like a jap ninja while the vette rars like a harley..

I hate domestics also as I stated earlier but YOU MUST GIVE RESPECT WHERE RESPECT IS NEEDED!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:22 AM
B A N N E D

M3 a legend???
My ass.......
How long has it been around 15, 20 years?

The vette has been around 50 years!!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:29 AM
whoXwanXsum

Rattles my ass..

M3 sounds like a jap ninja while the vette rars like a harley..

i wanna shake your hand! very well said!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:30 AM
'Cooter

please let's not get out of hand here...remember, Ern's looking for constructive feedback, not bashing each other...it's obvious we're divided, but there have been some good points on both sides...let's keep those good points comin...BTW, i favor the bimmer personally, but i give lotsa props to the Vette
Old 08-20-2002, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
.... like Scooter said... let's play nice here. Difference of opinions are fine, but let's not have the personal attacks.

Anyway... Ernie.. since you're on this new test drive thing looking at other options... what about a C32 AMG?? Fucking sweet.. and modifiable too (also not too common). Not cheap.... but neither is the M3, right?
Old 08-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

I love how these people rag on the vette for its interior. You dont buy a sports car for its interior. My friends dad who has own all types of cars ranging from Ferraris to Benzs can basically buy any car on the market. Guess what he chose for his daily driver......A Z06. It is an amazing car and the people who knock it havent driven it. The car is actually a very technical car like the M3. Granted it uses good old big displacement vs a high revving 100+ hp liter engine, but the LS6 is still an awesome engine. If you are buying the car for performance need definetly get the Z06, there is no better deal on the market right now. If you want performance with luxury Id go with an M3 or a 540i 6 speed. Why dont you consider a 540i???
Old 08-20-2002, 10:44 AM
B A N N E D

Ernie, Personally for some reason I can picture you in one of them Escalade Pick ups (white) on BLING BLING 22's..
I really can see you pimping that for some reason, call me crazy i dunno!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:46 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Maximized
I love how these people rag on the vette for its interior. You dont buy a sports car for its interior. My friends dad who has own all types of cars ranging from Ferraris to Benzs can basically buy any car on the market. Guess what he chose for his daily driver......A Z06. It is an amazing car and the people who knock it havent driven it. The car is actually a very technical car like the M3. Granted it uses good old big displacement vs a high revving 100+ hp liter engine, but the LS6 is still an awesome engine. If you are buying the car for performance need definetly get the Z06, there is no better deal on the market right now. If you want performance with luxury Id go with an M3 or a 540i 6 speed. Why dont you consider a 540i???

I don't think people would buy the car for the interior but as daily driver interior comfort and cabin noise become a factor.

Quick Reply: Vette or M3