Utah DOT admits higher speed limits = less speeding

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Utah DOT admits higher speed limits = less speeding

When the Utah DOT raised the speed limit on two pieces of I-15 from 75 mph to 80 mph, it discovered that driving habits didn't change. When the limit was 75 mph, the Utah DoT found that drivers were going between 81 and 85 mph. And now that the maximum limit is 80 mph, it has found that drivers are going between 83 and 85 mph.

You can look at that as less speeding, as the UDoT has, or simply the fact that people didn't automatically start going 10 mph over the limit, having found a speed that satisfies 85% of them. This shouldn't be that surprising – even when Montana had stretches of highway with unlimited speeds, it was only a few folks, mostly out-of-staters, that raced at max velocity. And most folks on unlimited sections of the Autobahn aren't even going 150 mph.

According to the Deseret News, a UDoT official said that accidents haven't increased, either, nor did they expect an increase in fender benders. What he said has increased, though, is speed differential, which we don't quite understand. Apparently, the difference between the fastest and slowest vehicles has widened. We can only imagine he was speaking of the 2 mph difference between the slightly higher lower average speed of 83 mph vs the 81 mph from before. Even though one Utah legislator wasn't happy about the increased limit, saying speed kills, the proof appears to be... well, not necessarily.

[Source: Deseret News | Image: Ken Lund via CC2.0]
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/27/r...o-le/#comments

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I think the 'federally mandated' rule of 55mph in urban areas is retarded. No one in their right mind does that on I-285 (the Atlanta Autobahn). In fact, that's more likely to get you killed.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I cant stand 55 and 65 speed limits here. Half the time im on the interstates in this state 100 could be a safe speed.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I think the 'federally mandated' rule of 55mph in urban areas is retarded. No one in their right mind does that on I-285 (the Atlanta Autobahn). In fact, that's more likely to get you killed.
Somebody on that road scares the shit out of me every time I drive it.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I cant stand 55 and 65 speed limits here. Half the time im on the interstates in this state 100 could be a safe speed.
I know what you mean. There are times when I'm on a long trip and I think to myself, "I should be allowed to go 90 here."
Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,160 Likes on 837 Posts
This is common knowledge. Most people will drive safely at a speed that they are comfortable with regardless of the speed limit. Speed limits should be set by the traffic engineers at the DOT and not politicians.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
When the limit is 75 I rarely go much over 78 or so.

There are stretches on the 10 in Phoenix where right before cameras it goes from a silly 65 to a stupid 55. The number of lanes is the same (4) no visible change to the road, no construction.

The only thing that changes is there is a camera 300 feet ahead.

There are stretches of Baseline, a six lane (3 in each direction) street in Phoenix that has a 50mph limit how can an interstate be 5 miles faster?

I hate revenue generating plans that are concealed as safety measures.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
This is common knowledge. Most people will drive safely at a speed that they are comfortable with regardless of the speed limit. Speed limits should be set by the traffic engineers at the DOT and not politicians.
It's my understanding that traffic engineers use the 85- percentile rule to set speed limits generally (absent NHTSA speed limits, local politician interference or accident risk reduction factors).
Old 10-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Agree.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by F-C
I disagree. Politicians know way more than engineers.... engineers clearly have an agenda behind all of their motives, and they've never done anything for the benefit of mankind.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hell would freeze over before any road in NJ would have a speed limit over 65.

This doesn't change the fact that on the NJ Turnpike, in rush hour traffic, most everyone does 80+. Anything less and you are asking to get run off the road. The cops are fine with it as long as you don't act stupid. They just sit on the side and watch.

But no politician here would ever raise speed limits. There's too much revenue to be made in tickets.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I would love to be able to do my 75 and not be going 20 over....

I really don't have much interest going any faster than that as it really reduces your MPG's.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vas25tl

I really don't have much interest going any faster than that as it really reduces your MPG's.
I agree. 75-80 is fast enough for me.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
There are some areas where I think 55 or 65 is highly appropriate. There are also just as many areas where 70-75 would not be a problem. Hard for me to complain around here though because there are not too many open roads.

I do think that I-5 needs to up the speed limit
Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Hell around here most of our 2 lane hwys could be a 65 speed limit (and travel it safely) and not the slow 55 they are.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,031 Likes on 544 Posts
Having lived in Germany for over 10 years, there is something to add to the speed limit argument.

Over there, the laws are pretty tough, and you must obey the traffic laws (drive on the right, pass only on the left, use signal indicators for all moves, etc...). Because these things are strictly enforced, the drivers are a lot more predictable. With this comes speed, and that is why the Autobahn is successful. Add to it that a license is about $2000, and you must attend driving school and drive in all conditions. If you lose your license (through stupidity or Polizei action), you have to go through the process again.

In the US, people think that their $25 well spent gives them a right to do as they please. They forget driving is a privilege extended to them by the state. You do not have a right to drive. Being as this may, people drive anyway they like, at any speed, in any lane, and do not use signals / follow road laws.

Speed does not kill. Not following driving laws, and not punishing those that don't kills.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Germany does thing right. Costs quite a bit to get a license, fines are high, etc. Over there they understand driving is a privilege and not a right.

Additionally, the fact that the autobahn has a lower death rate then the US Interstates should tell you something. They do not have speed limits on some stretches of road which proves that it's not the speed itself that kills... it's the lack of driver training and the roads themselves.

As for speeds, there are some highways once you get out of Charlotte which are 70mph, so for those I usually set the cruise at 75-77 and just go. Most of the roads locally are 65mph though...
Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrmako
Having lived in Germany for over 10 years, there is something to add to the speed limit argument.

Over there, the laws are pretty tough, and you must obey the traffic laws (drive on the right, pass only on the left, use signal indicators for all moves, etc...). Because these things are strictly enforced, the drivers are a lot more predictable. With this comes speed, and that is why the Autobahn is successful. Add to it that a license is about $2000, and you must attend driving school and drive in all conditions. If you lose your license (through stupidity or Polizei action), you have to go through the process again.

In the US, people think that their $25 well spent gives them a right to do as they please. They forget driving is a privilege extended to them by the state. You do not have a right to drive. Being as this may, people drive anyway they like, at any speed, in any lane, and do not use signals / follow road laws.

Speed does not kill. Not following driving laws, and not punishing those that don't kills.

That's how it should be (how it is in Germany)

It would result in more revenue for the state, and most likely there would be a huge drop in accidents, DUIs, fatalities, moving violations, etc. And it should cost $1000 and going through any other legislation they currently have to get your license reinstated if it gets suspended.

There are too many people with dog shit for brains out on the road right now. Driving would be a much less stressful experience if the laws were more strict.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^ - I don't know if that would be a huge revenue increase for a state - they miss out on DUI's, speeding tickets, and other moving violations.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by subinf
^ - I don't know if that would be a huge revenue increase for a state - they miss out on DUI's, speeding tickets, and other moving violations.
Maybe not. But the road would be a much better place nonetheless. I think DUI's, speeding tickets, red light runners, etc. will happen either way. The law enforcement agencies will find other ways to make revenue, such as focusing more on discreet laws that no one pays attention to. I've noticed people getting more tickets for not completely stopping at right-on-reds recently. They'll set up more speed traps in areas like the bottom of a hill right after a long downhill section, behind some bushes, etc.

That's just how it is.... for some people, no matter how intelligent they are, sometimes their brain just doesn't operate as effectively when they're behind the wheel. Still, it's never going to happen, even if it actually gets proposed. Everyone's going to raise a big stink about how unfair it is and how it's not going to work and

Our laws are just flawed, period. How the hell was talking on a cell phone banned, yet it required another law afterwards that forbade texting behind the wheel? Isn't that common sense? It doesn't take a damn study that proves texting behind the wheel is more dangerous than being drunk behind the wheel. Oh wait a minute.... we're talking about politicians and legislators
Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
That's great they raised it to 80MPH, but the problem is that people need to take better care when driving, and take better care of their cars. I can go to any College or HS parking lot and show you cars that could cause an accident due to mechanical failure such as brake failure, tire failure, etc.

If anything, there should be a federal mandated inspection for basic things to make sure your turn signals work, brakes and brake lights work, headlights work, tires are good and brakes are good. Just simple basic things that could keep us safer. As well it could be simple to the point where it takes about 30 minutes to do, costs the owner 25 bucks. Of course there would be no emissions or DOT compliance checking (for those of us who love cleared headlights)

As well there are a bunch of people who can't drive properly, today on my way home I encountered a car going 55 in the left lane of I-95, I flashed my high-beams and this person still didn't move over. Did it again and nothing. I was forced to pass on the right and this woman was talking on the phone (head sandwiched phone with her shoulder) and was literally filing her nails while holding the steering wheel on a freaking interstate. It's folks like these who deserve to have their licenses shoved up their asses
Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
A few years ago Oregon tried to raise the limit from 65 to 70. Keep in mind Oregon is the ONLY state west of the Mississippi to have speed limit below 70 mph and the only one to restrict trucks to 55. The proposal would have permitted a 70 mph limit for cars and a 60 mph limit for trucks on rural interstates. It passed the Senate but was vetoed by the governor because he claimed that 'trucks traveling at 60 mph is a danger to the traveling public' or some like that.

They just don't want OSP to miss out on fining people for going 72 in a 65 on a road designed for 75-80 mph.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
We'll never have Autobahn like highways/speeds because we will never have lane discipline.

What's every good driver's #1 Rural interstate complaint? Left lane bandits - stupid bastards.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
A few years ago Oregon tried to raise the limit from 65 to 70. Keep in mind Oregon is the ONLY state west of the Mississippi to have speed limit below 70 mph and the only one to restrict trucks to 55. The proposal would have permitted a 70 mph limit for cars and a 60 mph limit for trucks on rural interstates. It passed the Senate but was vetoed by the governor because he claimed that 'trucks traveling at 60 mph is a danger to the traveling public' or some like that.

They just don't want OSP to miss out on fining people for going 72 in a 65 on a road designed for 75-80 mph.
Oh, one last thought: Truckers are only allowed to pass on a two lane Autobahn (two lanes each direction), and like cars can not drive in the left: Pass, then get back over. On a three lane Autobahn, it is prohibited for them to use the far left lane.

Also, no trucks are allowed on the Autobahn on Sundays, except for those with an exception (very perishable foods, medical transport, etc...). They do obey this, and you'll see few trucks.

The US could do this with a $500 license fee, plus mandatory schooling (part of the price). But once you lose the license, you have to start the process over again. That would deter the "left lane bandits".
Old 10-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
What's every good driver's #1 interstate complaint? Left lane bandits - stupid bastards.
Fixed.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by vas25tl

the speed limit on the highway near me is 70-I set my cruise to 73-75, try to stay in the right lane and watch alot of other driver's pass me.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
We'll never have Autobahn like highways/speeds because we will never have lane discipline.

What's every good driver's #1 Rural interstate complaint? Left lane bandits - stupid bastards.
Agreed... but again, goes back to lack of driver training and the licensing requirements in the US compared to Germany. We need to completely overhaul our DMV and licensing requirements.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

So true.

But also true in cities.

I drove 45 miles each way this morning I was stuck behind no less than 20 different people cruising in the PASSING lane, at least 25% of which were semis.

Several were large trucks (flat beds, cement mixers etc).

What possible reason does a big truck have to be in that lane when the freeway was cruising at 10mph+ over the limit?

On the way back a semi almost hit a car when it without warning moved out of it's lane to avoid having to slow for a slower moving vehicle.

The "professional" drivers I see lately don't seem to have any right having any type of license at all.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:25 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
That's great they raised it to 80MPH, but the problem is that people need to take better care when driving, and take better care of their cars. I can go to any College or HS parking lot and show you cars that could cause an accident due to mechanical failure such as brake failure, tire failure, etc.

If anything, there should be a federal mandated inspection for basic things to make sure your turn signals work, brakes and brake lights work, headlights work, tires are good and brakes are good. Just simple basic things that could keep us safer. As well it could be simple to the point where it takes about 30 minutes to do, costs the owner 25 bucks. Of course there would be no emissions or DOT compliance checking (for those of us who love cleared headlights)

As well there are a bunch of people who can't drive properly, today on my way home I encountered a car going 55 in the left lane of I-95, I flashed my high-beams and this person still didn't move over. Did it again and nothing. I was forced to pass on the right and this woman was talking on the phone (head sandwiched phone with her shoulder) and was literally filing her nails while holding the steering wheel on a freaking interstate. It's folks like these who deserve to have their licenses shoved up their asses
I agree with what you said there. I have seen a few cars that have been into accidents and I can probably attribute poor tire condition to almost half of them. I'd say tires is the most important safety component on a vehicle.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

There have been more & more tire caps on the road the last three months or so. I have one to "thank" for my new bumper cover.

It also seems as states have less budget road maintenance is going to hell. There is so much junk on the road, side of the road and in Ca. there are plants growing out of the seams between the road and shoulder!!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
i try to keep it 60 -55 depending upon conditions once ouside the city I go 70-75 and if I ever get to utah, I will go 85... :P
Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by e30cabrio
There have been more & more tire caps on the road the last three months or so. I have one to "thank" for my new bumper cover.

It also seems as states have less budget road maintenance is going to hell. There is so much junk on the road, side of the road and in Ca. there are plants growing out of the seams between the road and shoulder!!

that's what happens when morons in control of your state decide to make it an illigal immigrat haven....less money for other things as it is all getting eaten up by human services and teaching classes in spanish cause people are too effing lazy to learn how to speak English...
Old 11-01-2009, 03:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Is glad as hell Texas raised some highways to 70Mph...not that it stops people from doing 80+.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 11-01-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Is glad as hell Texas raised some highways to 70Mph...not that it stops people from doing 80+.
Me too. But in Dallas 70mph will get you mowed over.

On the Austin toll roads it's 70 but there is soooo much room and so little traffic on most of it 70 seems slow and it makes you want to do 90. I've seen some people get on the toll road and do 55; probably hyper-mileing.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
its all revenue generation. no sense in having a 55 mph speed limit. thats only 10 mph higher than city streets. its rediculous
Old 11-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Try living here, most roads are 40-50 Kph, and the big highway is a whopping 80 Kph. Speed limits set in 1950 and have not changed since.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
you guys should be lucky to live in states with such "high" speed limits...
NYC sucks...they are speed limits of 40mph which really fucking sucks

the highest we have in brooklyn is 50mph
Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I love my yearly trip out west to Colorado. My speed is a constant 75-80 on I-70.

In Ohio, I'm 10-15 over the limit in rural areas and 15-20 in urban areas. Luckily, enforcement is lax.
In Indiana, I'm only 5-10 over the limit.
In Illinois....sigh.
In Missouri....5-10 over the limit.
In Kansas.....5-10 over the limit, and it's the only state I've gotten more than one warning in over the last ten years, for driving 5 mph over and 8 mph over. No ticket, though! Pays to be nice.
In Colorado..... 75 is the speed limit in rural areas, so I drive at or 5 above the limit there.

I wish that in every state, in rural areas, there was a national speed maximum of 75-80 mph on Interstates. That would make driving more consistent from state to state. There is already a national speed minimum of 40 mph on Interstates, how hard can it be to get a national maximum? Oh, I forgot, politicians have to set that.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Speed limits should only be enforced in populated areas. Rural areas should have no speed limit.

Too add about the autobahn, the maximum recommended speed is 130 Kph. You can go faster than that, if you want, but insurance WILL NOT cover you in the event of an accident. The driver assumes the risk. This helps to alleviate crazy drivers, as well.

If they made the speed limit 600 mph, nobody would ever "speed".
Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I wish that in every state, in rural areas, there was a national speed maximum of 75-80 mph on Interstates. That would make driving more consistent from state to state. There is already a national speed minimum of 40 mph on Interstates, how hard can it be to get a national maximum? Oh, I forgot, politicians have to set that.
Hmm, a national minimum speed? I have never heard of this one nor have I ever seen a "Minimum Speed" sign in Massachusetts. I see them all the time when I cross the border to New Hampshire. I also was once told by an officer (local not state) in MA that there was no "minimum speed limit" although in that particular case we were talking about a rural road not an interstate.

Do you have any links or more information on this national minimum speed law?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
Hmm, a national minimum speed? I have never heard of this one nor have I ever seen a "Minimum Speed" sign in Massachusetts. I see them all the time when I cross the border to New Hampshire. I also was once told by an officer (local not state) in MA that there was no "minimum speed limit" although in that particular case we were talking about a rural road not an interstate.

Do you have any links or more information on this national minimum speed law?
I see those in Ohio and most other states I've driven through (I've driven through 30 states), mainly in urban areas. Assumed it was national. Bad habit I have.

Quick Reply: Utah DOT admits higher speed limits = less speeding