TSX - TL - No comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX - TL - No comparison

I know I have seen several post in which folks wonder whether they should get the TSX or TL. I have a TSX loaner, 1 hour so far, and in that short time I can tell you there is NO comparison between the two cars. TL is hands-down superior - no doubt in my mind.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, what a great post. thanks!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
they're definitely in different classes.

Car & Driver's October test was in favor of the TSX, whereas the TL lost to the G35 earlier this year. We got our G35 for $29k, and I paid MSRP on my TL, so...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Banned

Orange and Apple.
They are just different.
Different classes, different origins. different prices.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
And different missions, as I state in my TSX-TL comparo on A-TSX.com.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13771
Old 09-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by blackjackman
Orange and Apple.
They are just different.
Different classes, different origins. different prices.

I agree with this.

Ppl should go A-TSX site and will see tons of ppl are not in favor of TL when they get a TL loaner.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Racer

Wouldn't that be like comparing a Civic to an Accord.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegeta1
Wouldn't that be like comparing a Civic to an Accord.
No, I think comparing the RSX to the TL would be more like a Civic to an Accord. My father has a TSX and it's a very nice car; prior to getting my TL I had a very favorable impression of the TSX, and still do, but the current TL is just far and away a nicer car. (I like the TSX better than the previous-generation TL, however, and I would rather be given a TSX as a service loaner rather than the previous-generation TL I got the last time.) In other words, the TL is a major step up from the RSX, and the TSX is a big step up from the RSX, but the step from the TSX to the TL is not nearly as big, IMO.

I don't think the base Honda lineup has a car that slots in in quite the same way that the TSX does in Acura's lineup.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually they are not very different at all since they both use the global midsize platform. The TSX is a european accord the TL is an american accord. It just shows how different chassis tuning can make significantly different cars. The TSX is lighter on its feet and a pleasure to drive. The TL feels heavier on its feet but it does have marked advantage in the power and engine noise department. Its handling is also very good but not as nimble as the TSX.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Actually they are not very different at all since they both use the global midsize platform. The TSX is a european accord the TL is an american accord. It just shows how different chassis tuning can make significantly different cars. The TSX is lighter on its feet and a pleasure to drive. The TL feels heavier on its feet but it does have marked advantage in the power and engine noise department. Its handling is also very good but not as nimble as the TSX.
i think most of us have to admit that the TSX is very similar to the TL. don't get me worng i prefer the TL over the TSX anyday but from a car spec standpoint there are only a few things that differ. they are almost the same size surprisingly. but the main thing is the TSX is a 4-banger and i cannot see myself driving a car that size with just 4 cylinders. its rated at 200hp but its just doesn't have the torque.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Originally Posted by caball88
i think most of us have to admit that the TSX is very similar to the TL. don't get me worng i prefer the TL over the TSX anyday but from a car spec standpoint there are only a few things that differ. they are almost the same size surprisingly. but the main thing is the TSX is a 4-banger and i cannot see myself driving a car that size with just 4 cylinders. its rated at 200hp but its just doesn't have the torque.
I second this...

I should move this thread to TSX forum... they will say something, too...
Old 09-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Banned

What is different - for me - is origin & concept behind the 2 cars -
TSX -> Japan/Europe. TL -> USA.
Don't mean for this to offend anyone. But whe I see TSX is 100% Jpn thru and thru and TL is near 100% Ohio. Never mind the price difference. Thse decision was pretty easy - for me.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Shift_faster

What is different - for me - is origin & concept behind the 2 cars -
TSX -> Japan/Europe. TL -> USA.
Don't mean for this to offend anyone. But whe I see TSX is 100% Jpn thru and thru and TL is near 100% Ohio. Never mind the price difference. Thse decision was pretty easy - for me.
I assume you are referring to build quality? Or perhaps handling? Just trying to understand your perspective.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Instructor

I too have been contemplating buying a TL and also looked at and drove a TSX.
I really liked the TSX but compared to the V6 power in the TL their is little comparison in my opinion.

What pisses me off is an Accord Sedan/Accord Coupe both have nice V6's why don't they put a 250HP V6 in the TSX ? I can't envision it not fitting.

I do realize that it would end up being a thousand or so more therefore being priced very close to a TL and stealing sales from the TL.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I assume you are referring to build quality? Or perhaps handling? Just trying to understand your perspective.
First: design
Second: build quality, workmanship.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Banned

First: styling/design (Not sure about this but I will not be surprised TL styling is done by US-based studio)
Old 09-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael A
--snip--
What pisses me off is an Accord Sedan/Accord Coupe both have nice V6's why don't they put a 250HP V6 in the TSX ? I can't envision it not fitting.
--snip--
IMO - because that car is aimed at Euro/Japan market where peeps as not as obssessed about size & numbers of cylinders as the US.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

IMO - because that car is aimed at Euro/Japan market where peeps as not as obssessed about size & numbers of cylinders as the US.
U still remember where you're, right? Here is A-TL, not A-TSX... But your opinions are not too harsh.

Move to cars & bikes tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Shift_faster

First: styling/design (Not sure about this but I will not be surprised TL styling is done by US-based studio)
Since I'm a TL owner, it won't surprise you to know that I prefer the TL styling over the TSX. Still, I accept that you do not.

In my view, the TL looks like a lifter, and the TSX as a runner. Both athletic designs but with different concentrations.

Build quality is something that is more objective (at least more objective than styling). The TL is built fine to me, it does have a few more rattles than I expected, but from my readings on A-TSX it doesn't seem like the TSX is built like a vault either. Of course, your experience might vary.

Lastly, I believe the TSX will be more fun in the twisties, but the TL has that V6 thrust that puts a smile on your face...to each his/her own.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Banned

U still remember where you're, right? Here is A-TL, not A-TSX... But your opinions are not too harsh.
hey man I didn't badmouth one single word against TL.

Old 09-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Banned

--snip--
Build quality is something that is more objective (at least more objective than styling). The TL is built fine to me, it does have a few more rattles than I expected, but from my readings on A-TSX it doesn't seem like the TSX is built like a vault either. Of course, your experience might vary
agree, styling is total a personal pref thing.
some people dig German, some dig Jpn, some dig Swedish...etc

Build quality --- NOT about TL's vs TSX's , Ohio vs Sayama -- I look at verifiable facts
i.e Statistics/Ratings/Surveys which show in general Jpn-built cars have better reliability. That's all.

If fact my TSX is going in for a tranny replacement tomorrow. How's that for irony.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Michael A
I too have been contemplating buying a TL and also looked at and drove a TSX.
I really liked the TSX but compared to the V6 power in the TL their is little comparison in my opinion.

I do realize that it would end up being a thousand or so more therefore being priced very close to a TL and stealing sales from the TL.
that would be a sales suicide for acura if they dropped a V6 into a TSX. it would canabalize the sales between the 2 cars. the people that would have to spend more money on the TL now spend less for the TSX. another problem is that it might also bump up the price of the TSX bringing it alot close to the TL. if the price difference was 3K between the 2 cars people might not want to buy the TSX anymore. the whole reason why acura offers the 2 cars is to provide a nice range of cars at different prices to get people shopping in different price brackets options.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Instructor

that would be a sales suicide for acura if they dropped a V6 into a TSX. it would canabalize the sales between the 2 cars. the people that would have to spend more money on the TL now spend less for the TSX. another problem is that it might also bump up the price of the TSX bringing it alot close to the TL. if the price difference was 3K between the 2 cars people might not want to buy the TSX anymore. the whole reason why acura offers the 2 cars is to provide a nice range of cars at different prices to get people shopping in different price brackets options.
Someone mentioned "because that car is aimed at Euro/Japan market where peeps as not as obssessed about size & numbers of cylinders as the US." I dont think it has anything to do with obssesion of size or number of cylinders ... If you drive a TSX & TL back to back the biggest difference is that the TL's V6 is so much smoother, powerful, more responsive and sounds worlds better.

It seems though that aside from the V6 power it appears that the TSX might actually be the prefered vehicle by most.

I would make an educated guess and say what might eventually happen in the next year or so is when SH AWD (from the new RL) is added to the TL the power will increases to a round 300hp (with variable cylinder displacement like the 2005 Accord) then a 250HP V6 TSX will make alot of sense.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Move to Cars & Bikes.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:26 PM

Look at Nissan. Not true necessarily. And the TSX is a comparison winner, 10 best winner. The TL has never won anything since 1996.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Look at Nissan? No thanks.

The TL has won comparison tests too, since mag opinions mean so much to you.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the TSX around a sharp bend...
Then take the TL around the same sharp bend...

You will see a difference.

Here is some interesting numbers and comments from Car and Driver about the TL and TSX's handling:

TSX:
"Handing responses are somewhat softer than in the others, primarily because the all-season Michelin Pilot HXs are chosen for ride smoothness and silence more than for athletic feats. On those passenger-comfort issues, the TSX excels. Skidpad grip measured 0.83 g with a reliable amount of understeer. On the road, you have the feeling of fleet-footed agility; the Acura is quick to change directions and has effortless control at any speed."

"The steering has a similar light-to-the-touch quickness, making the TSX feel alive and agile for urban maneuvers. At higher speeds, when straight down the road is the goal, the mood turns a little nervous; the path weaves in response to unseen forces.

The TSX has a zesty eagerness about it, like the high-winding Acura Integra Type R of the later '90s. We can't stop grinning when we're in the cockpit. But there's much more here—this car tied with or topped all the others in 17 of the 22 rating categories. Call it accomplished, call it irresistible, call it the class of the less-than-30-large field."

Taken from:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=5

TL:
"Hustled through the 300-foot skidpad, the TL managed to pull 0.81 g, which is less grip than that achieved by the G35 (0.87) and the 330i (0.83)."

"On our 10Best handling loop, where twisty roads abound, the TL couldn't attack curves with the same speed and vigor as the Infiniti and BMW, inspiring less confidence because of its heavier front-loaded nature."

"Moreover, the TL's power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering lacks the direct communication of the BMW's and Infiniti's, hampering a close relationship between the driver and the road. We found ourselves constantly adjusting the wheel through sweeping curves. The steering is weighted in a nice, light fashion, but its effort doesn't build progressively, and there's too much assist when what you want is direct feedback."

taken from:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7597

Car and Driver said the TSX handled like an Integra Type-R which is definitely a prestigious compliment to any FWD car.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:27 AM
6 speed yo!

please dont use an automatic TSX as a comparison its just wrong it kills the car
Old 09-22-2004, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scorp76
Look at Nissan? No thanks.

The TL has won comparison tests too, since mag opinions mean so much to you.
Find me one. Automobile, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend. Sure has hell won't be EVO or CAR or Top Gear.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Sure as hell won't find any high-dollar Toyotas there either.

Find them yourself, you obviously have plenty of time. Start with Motor Trend, then try Edmunds.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Consumer Reports will have the TSX in a near issue.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scorp76
Sure as hell won't find any high-dollar Toyotas there either.

Find them yourself, you obviously have plenty of time. Start with Motor Trend, then try Edmunds.
Sure, no problem. With Lexus, since they have tons of awards and accolades, it's very easy to find. Acura, well, u have to look pretty much under a 15 year old rock sans the NSX.
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus Exceeds 9,000 Pre-Sold Customer Orders for 2006 RX 400h Hybrid

September 7, 2004 - Torrance, CA - Lexus announced today that its dealers have received more than 9,000 pre-sold orders for the 2006 RX 400h luxury gas-electric hybrid SUV through August month-end. The RX 400h provides a powerful new performance dimension to the traditional hybrid advantages of high mileage and low emissions.

"We've received significantly more pre-launch orders for the 400h than we've had for any vehicle in our entire 15-year history," said Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager, Denny Clements. "Although we're pleased with the early public response to the 400h, we are mindful of our need to respond to these customers in a timely manner," he added.

Lexus recently announced to dealers that the 400h will arrive in showrooms early next year as a 2006 model. The company said after pre-production prototypes are evaluated later this month, it will announce specific on-sale launch timing for the U.S. and other global markets.

"It's imperative we provide accurate information to our dealers and their customers regarding the anticipated arrival of these vehicles," said Clements. "We're already planning ahead with the development of a new retail ordering program, and we've started a dedicated customer communication system," he added.

The new customer communication system will correspond directly with wait-list customers on at-least a quarterly basis with updated information about their RX 400h order. The retail ordering system will provide Lexus dealers with the ability to assign a customer name to a specific vehicle prior to its production and then track that vehicle throughout the distribution process. This is a first for Lexus and will provide timely updates on the progress of a customer's order and their expected vehicle delivery date.

Additionally, Lexus Financial Services will extend lease agreements by as much as 12 months, if necessary, to current Lexus owners who have placed orders for a RX 400h. The plan is designed to accommodate customers who have voiced concern that their Lexus lease might run-out before their RX 400h arrives.
If we even go into othe bonuses like racing, here is the last race
Code:
August 9, 2004  August 9, 2004  	

CompUSA Lexus Dominates Mid-Ohio in Rolex Series Win;
Lexus Puts Two on Podium

August 9, 2004 - Lexington, OH - In a dominating performance, the #01 CompUSA Lexus-Riley driven by Max Papis and Scott Pruett led all but a handful of the 95 race laps to win from the pole in Saturday's Grand American Rolex Series' EMCO Gears Road Racing Classic at Mid-Ohio on Saturday.

After winning the pole on Friday, Papis led the first 33 laps around the Ohio road course before giving up the lead shortly before the first round of pit stops. The Lexus-powered machine didn't stay in second long, though, as five laps later, the CompUSA Ganassi Racing team won the race out of the pits. Included in the stop was a driver change and once Pruett emerged from the pit-lane with the lead, he would never relinquish the top spot again in winning the duo's series-high third race of the season. The triumph marked the team's fifth consecutive top-two finish.

The Pruett/Papis effort wasn't the only highlight of the day for the CompUSA team. The Ganassi team car of Jimmy Morales and Luis Diaz placed third to give the squad and Lexus two cars on the post-race victory podium. The third matches the best finish of the season for Morales and Diaz.

The Lebanon, Ohio-based Doran-Lista Racing team made it three Lexus' in the top-10 with a seventh-place finish by drivers Didier Theys and Ben Leuenberger.

Things didn't go quite as well for Michael Shank Racing, the other Ohio-based Lexus squad. After running in the top three in the early going, the #6 Lexus went off track on Lap 44 and lost a number of laps. The team soldiered on and returned to finish 12th in class.

With the victory, Pruett and Papis have opened up a 23-point lead in the driver's championship with just five races remaining. In addition, Lexus pulls within three points of the Manufacturer's Championship lead in its first season of Daytona Prototype competition.

The Rolex Series returns to action next Friday at Watkins Glen International with the Glen 200. SPEED will provide same-day coverage beginning at 10 p.m.
Code:
 	LEXUS  	LEXUS  	

- 	#1 Nameplate in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service (CSI-2) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- 	#1 Nameplate in Long-Term Dependability (VDI) (J.D. Power and Associates) (6th year in as many years of eligibility)
	- 	#1 Nameplate in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service (CSI-2) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- 	#1 Nameplate in Vehicle Dependability (VDI) (J.D. Power and Associates) (5th year in as many years of eligibility)

- 	#1 Nameplate in Long-Term Dependability (VDI) (J.D. Power and Associates) (4th year in as many years of eligibility)
	- 	#1 Nameplate in Customer Satisfaction (CSI) (J.D. Power and Associates) (7 awards in the past 8 years)

- 	#1 Nameplate in Long-Term Dependability (VDI) (J.D. Power and Associates)
	- 	#1 Nameplate in Customer Satisfaction (CSI) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- 	Best Overall Carline in Vehicle Dependability at Five Years of Ownership (VDI) (J.D. Power and Associates)
	- 	Best Overall Nameplate in Sales Satisfaction (Tie) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- 	Best Overall Carline in Vehicle Dependability at Five Years of Ownership (VDI) (J.D. Power and Associates)
	- 	#1 Carline in Customer Satisfaction (CSI) (J.D. Power and Associates) (Received 5 years in a row)

- 	Best Overall Carline in Sales Satisfaction (SSI) (J.D. Power and Associates)
	- 	#1 Carline in Customer Satisfaction (CSI) (J.D. Power and Associates)
	- 	Best Overall Carline in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)
	- 	Best Overall Carline in Vehicle Performance in Three Years of Ownership (VPI) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- 	#1 Carline in Customer Satisfaction (CSI) (Tie) (J.D. Power and Associates)

Old 09-22-2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Code:
RX 330 RX 330  	

- 	Best SUV Over $30,000 (IntelliChoice magazine)
	- 	Highest Ranked Entry Luxury Sport Utility Vehicle in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)

RX 300 	

- 	Best Luxury Sport-Utility Vehicle in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- 	Motor Trend 1999 Sport/Utility of the Year
	- 	Money Magazine's "Best Deal on the Road" Sport-Utility Class

- 	Most Appealing Luxury Sport-Utility (APEAL) (J.D. Power and Associates)
Code:
  	 	GX 470  	  	 	GX 470  	

- 	GX Named Four Wheeler of the Year for the Second Year in a Row, by Four Wheeler Magazine

- 	GX 470 Named "2003 4x4 of the Year" by 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine
	- 	GX 470 Wins Four Wheeler Magazine's "2003 Four Wheeler of the Year"
Code:
 	LX 470  	 	LX 470  	

- 	Highest Ranked Premium Luxury Sport-Utility Vehicle in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- 	Best Luxury Sport-Utility Vehicle in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- 	Most Appealing Luxury Sport-Utility (APEAL) (J.D. Power and Associates)
	- 	Automobile Magazine's All-Star "Best Large Sport-Utility Vehicle"
	- 	First Place in May 1999 Automobile Magazine's Competitive Comparison, "Javelinas Grandes"

LX 450 	

- 	Named Best Full-Size Sport-Utility Vehicle in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)
Old 09-22-2004, 11:56 PM

SC 430 SC 430

- Highest Ranked Premium Luxury Car in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)

SC 400/300

- Best Premium Luxury Car in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)

- Among the Top Ten in Initial Quality (IQS) (J.D. Power and Associates)

SC 400

- Winner of Car and Driver's Luxury Coupe Comparison Test

- Motor Trend's Top Ten Import for Personal Luxury Cars
- One of Automobile Magazine's Top Ten All-Stars
- Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year
- One of Car and Driver's 10Best Cars
- One of AAA's Best Cars in the $35,000 - $40,000 Range (Tie)
- Playboy's Car of the Year

- Motor Trend's Top Ten Import for Personal Luxury Cars
- Motor Trend's Auto Exotica Highest Ranking Car for Sports Coupes

SC 300

- One of Automobile Magazine's Top Ten All-Stars (5th consecutive year)

- First in a Road & Track Coupe Comparison Test (Tie)

I won't even bore you with the rest of the lineups wins unless you request it.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I won't even bore you with the rest of the lineups wins unless you request it.
While your points are valid, they are off the subject of the thread. Even though you were just responding.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
and the TSX is a big step up from the RSX, but the step from the TSX to the TL is not nearly as big, IMO.
Gonna have to disagree with ya there. The TSX, in all practicality, is essentially a four door version of the TSX. The TL offers more performance(sans handling), luxury, features, and room.