TSX Hi rev buzz saw

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 10:38 PM
CL 6 speeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Hi rev buzz saw

Just looked up the final drive and gear ratios for the new TSX. At 70 mph the 6 speed will be turning about 3,000 RPM. As I suspected. An annoying buzz saw on long trips. I hate that. The TSX is a loser. Where is the 3.0 liter V-6 used in the accord?
Glad I got my CL.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:44 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
It will not have the integrated key like the Accord, that's what the sales mgr told me today. I was hoping a mod for the CL! I think it's another dud. With so much competition, and Honda too, who would buy it? Many people stay away from Acuras cause they want V8s and go to Lexus, MB etc. Why is Acura adding another 4 cylinder to their line-up? Hopefully more sales, Acura should stay farther away from Honda, wasn't that the whole point? Now they are just adding features to Hondas and calling them Acuras.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:53 PM
CL 6 speeder

I agree. I think putting a 4 cyl. in that size car is the mistake of the century.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:16 PM
I'm Cool

they should make the RSX and teh TSX honda's, and the s2000 acura. That we boost the image of acura
Old 03-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't know what your talkin about. It's not a buzzy 4 banger.

Sure thing, i'm sure CLS 6MT is alot like the Accord Coupel Go test drive both back to back and tell me they are the same. There is a definite distinction between Honda's and Acura's.

People go to BMW for v8s? What v8 would that be? 540 and up is the only bmw you'll get a v8. Otherwise........all i6's. You can't get a v8 unless you spend nearly 50k. LOL, v8 market keeps shrinking and 4cylinder/6cylinder market keeps growing. Acura is making the right move!!!!!
Old 03-29-2003, 11:52 PM
4dr & I like it that way

you can magically can discern how "buzzy" an engine is just from looking at the final drive ratio? you have some skills there
Old 03-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Instructor

I've always loved the products that Honda Motor Co. puts out, however there's one thing I don't get about Acura. Back in the last 80s when Acura was the first to be a spinoff of a major auto manufacturer, their goal was to create a luxury car division that was more upscale than Honda. Next thing you know, Toyota followed suit with Lexus as did Nissan with Infinity. If you were to sit in a Nissan or Toyota and then step into an Infinity or Lexus, you'd notice a dramatic difference from "standard" to "luxury". I don't know what most people would say, but I don't get that same feeling when stepping from a Honda into an Acura. Sure an Acura interior is a little step up from a Honda, but it doesn't scream luxury as the company intended over a decade ago. Just saying "Lexus" evokes that sense of oohs and aaahs that come with sitting in a luxury car, but saying "Acura" just doesn't provide that same feeling. I'm sure Acura will still be around for a while, however the company's image needs a major overhaul to compete with their import counterparts.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:44 AM
4dr & I like it that way

agreed, i think the TSX is going to be the start of that. its interior is beautiful IMO, but i do hope they can squeeze a v6 in there for the typeS i dont think the 2.4L 4cyl is going to be too buzzy, but i dont think its going to have enough torque for most of our tastes
Old 03-30-2003, 12:57 AM
Suzuka Master

i think the rule of thumb is that the more cylinders, the smoother and quieter the ride. no matter how you look at it, an i4 will never be as quiet or smooth as a 6 cylinder. even the smoothest and quietest 6 cylinder cant even compare to a v8 and so on. but i think the bottom line is that the TSX will be a very quiet car compared to other 4 cylinders. why? they will put more sound dampening material between the engine and the cabin!!!

sidemarker
Old 03-30-2003, 01:26 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Davediego
agreed, i think the TSX is going to be the start of that. its interior is beautiful IMO, but i do hope they can squeeze a v6 in there for the typeS i dont think the 2.4L 4cyl is going to be too buzzy, but i dont think its going to have enough torque for most of our tastes
The key word there is " our " I think this car will be a hit for Acura, look at the average person who drives them, we're a minority.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:35 AM
Under the radar

Well an inline 6 can compare to a V8 but I am sure the TSX will be quiet. Acura is supposed to be the more refined of the car lines anyway.
The general response I have heard is that people prefer the looks of the TSX over the Accord so the TSX should do fine. I just wish Honda would be more risky with the styling in the Acura line.
I have driven in plenty of 4 cylinder cars that highway cruise at 3000rpms and only the cheapest of them was annoyingly 'buzzy' -a Geo Storm .
Old 03-30-2003, 08:13 AM
Lone CL-P Owner

Originally posted by Bobbydoedoe
they should make the RSX and teh TSX honda's, and the s2000 acura. That we boost the image of acura
true that would be good but then they would have the s2000 against the nsx. even though the pricing is way different, acura uses the nsx as a key marketing vechicle. even though no one with reasonable $$ can afford them.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:39 AM
Pro

Re: TSX Hi rev buzz saw

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
Just looked up the final drive and gear ratios for the new TSX. At 70 mph the 6 speed will be turning about 3,000 RPM. As I suspected. An annoying buzz saw on long trips. I hate that. The TSX is a loser. Where is the 3.0 liter V-6 used in the accord?
Glad I got my CL.
I've never seen a 4 cylinder that didn't turn around 3k at cruise. 6 cylinder is around 2.5k, V8 around 2k.

That's the way it is........
Old 03-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1. 3000rpm at 70mph is not that bad chief. It's no CL but it's got a small engine which makes power at high rpm than low.

2. Acura has said it has no plans for a V6 for the TSX in the forseeable future. And I agree because we might see a hybrid TSX before we see a V6 TSX. Makes sense.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:44 AM
CL 6 speeder

Yes I actually own 4 cyl cars that cruise at 3000 RPM also. But they are not supposed to be LUXURY performance cars. I think that when the average LUXARY customer test drives the TSX he/she will come away dissapointed. After the intial new car sales rush of about 4 to 6 months, sales will drop off dramatically. I myself would buy the 6 cyl Accord coupe first. Just my humble prediction.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:58 AM
CL 6 speeder

Also, the Accord coupe is about the same weight (V6) and the 6 speed gets better gas mileage (highway)!. Taller gearing and more performance. I thought Acura was supposed to be the premium brand. I also read that Acura in their promotions is not going to talk about the number of cylinders. People will walk.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

joeandcarol2,
On paper it does. Like I said. Go drive both back to back and tell me that the Acura isn't better. It seems you already have formed your opinion and put Acura a teir lower than everybody else..........based on paper numbers and nothing else.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Banned

Guys this car will sell its HOTT and the reviews have not been bad at all. Granted you won't see me caught dead in that thing but hey I can see a couple of you guys in a nice white one :ghey:.

Ha Ha just kidding seriously this car will rock and it will sell. I hate having to refuel my car everytime I drive it hard and with the TSX you don't have to.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
I agree. I think putting a 4 cyl. in that size car is the mistake of the century.

what do you mean?

the TSX is based on the small accord chassis. Honda uses three different chassis for the same car preety much.

Small Chassis: JDM accord, Euro Accord
Medium Chasssis: USDM Accord
Large Chassis: Honda Inspire/Acura TL.

so i dont think it will be underpowered at all.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Sup All -- I'm one of the mods over at clubtsx and I wanted to weigh in on this debate. I have personally never driven the tsx, but those that have at the ride and drive and in review have mentioned the engines is absolutely smooth and silent until you pass 5000 rpms.... it uses dual balance shafts to smooth it out and from what people say it does not have the characteristic honda induction note.

I agree that a torquier engine would be nice, but I want to drive it before i condemn it. They dyno of the motor is fairly nice. 90% torque 2000rpm-7100rpm, 95% 2500-6500. It's basically the k20a2(rsxs) that is stroked out to form the k24a2 so it should also be mod friendly if you are into that sort of thing.

Everyone who has driven it says it is luxurious in everway, build quality, design, heavy feel but still handles like a demon. At any rate i have the chance to pickup the first TSX in san diego(carbon grey) on 4/3 if I want it... should be a fun week!
Old 03-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Zapata
you don't know what your talkin about. It's not a buzzy 4 banger.

Sure thing, i'm sure CLS 6MT is alot like the Accord Coupel Go test drive both back to back and tell me they are the same. There is a definite distinction between Honda's and Acura's.

People go to BMW for v8s? What v8 would that be? 540 and up is the only bmw you'll get a v8. Otherwise........all i6's. You can't get a v8 unless you spend nearly 50k. LOL, v8 market keeps shrinking and 4cylinder/6cylinder market keeps growing. Acura is making the right move!!!!!
1. their is a difference between the accord coupe 6 and cls6! the accord's navi looks like something george jetson uses, while the cls6's navi looks like something fred flintstone uses! the topic of the thread is: tsx=hi rev buzz saw! stay on topic! don't try and turn it into cls6 vs accord v6 6spd! trust me! you'll only get hurt, by the time I finish listing the ways in which the accord improved upon the cls, 4 years later!!

2. HONDA is in BAD NEED of a V8!! for the NSX, and for the RL!! both cars are BALLESS without it!
Old 03-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by torqueaholic
1. their is a difference between the accord coupe 6 and cls6! the accord's navi looks like something george jetson uses, while the cls6's navi looks like something fred flintstone uses! the topic of the thread is: tsx=hi rev buzz saw! stay on topic! don't try and turn it into cls6 vs accord v6 6spd! trust me! you'll only get hurt, by the time I finish listing the ways in which the accord improved upon the cls, 4 years later!!

2. HONDA is in BAD NEED of a V8!! for the NSX, and for the RL!! both cars are BALLESS without it!

LOL Aside from the voice activated Navi whut do ya got? Jack. Don't get me wrong new coupe is hot but it's not a 6speed CLS.

I have more power. Better seats. Better suspension. Better handling .

I am on topic. I used the accord coupe in an analogy.

Bah. Honda/Acura is doing fine without a v8. Gimmie Hybrid technology. v8's are old news. The future is in hybrid engines which pump out 400hp/300ftlbs of trq and get 35mpg.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by torqueaholic

Are you and Jimcol clients and presidents of the "More I talk/type the more stupider I make myself look" club?
Old 03-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by unsure
Are you and Jimcol clients and presidents of the "More I talk/type the more stupider I make myself look" club?
your "location"---> dumb island, is my rebuttle!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:28 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Fellas fellas.. Cant we all just get along?? I think we (CL-S drivers) are the wrong bunch to be wondering about the TSX. I have driven the auto TSX and was a little disappointed at the engines pwr on demand. I think the reason i was disappointed was of the way my CL drives (see sig for mods). I am seriously hoping the 6spd will be a lot better, if it isnt.. I feel sorry for the little fella.