Time to let go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Time to let go?

My current DD is a '95 Integra which I got brand new back in the day. It has about 240K miles on it. It's still driving pretty strong and still reliable but I'm on the fence as to what I should do next to it. The list of repairs is starting to pile up and my goal was to drive this to the ground before getting another ride. I'm trying to determine if I've hit this point yet.

KBB value on the car is about $1500.

List of repairs that needs to be done:

Replace both axles (hearing the clicking noise on turns)

Radiator leaking (source is unknown other than a pool of coolant on the garage floor)

Oil pan needs to be replace (drip leak on the drain plug...new washers/plug doesn't help probably due drain plug hole being stripped a little wider through the years)

Antennae motor is broken

Driver's side seatbelt is stuck on the buckle and won't release.

Battery just died over the weekend (thankfully it wasn't the alternator)

When the car starts and before it has a chance to warm up, it auto revs the engine up and down (probably have to bring to a shop to figure that one out unless you guys have a clue to what's going on)

All this maintenance work is going to add up and can easily cost more than what the car is worth.

The Integra is a bone stock RS...no A/C, no power locks. Granted...summers in Seattle isn't too hot but when it is hot...having A/C would really be nice (especially last summer!)

I'm ready to get another car with a little more creature comfort but it's nice not to have a car payment and avg 34mpg.

What do you guys think? Has it gotten to the point of running it into the ground yet and time for me to part ways?

Thanks for any input/advice
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
It seems to me that the list of repairs exceeds the value of the car. It may be time to move on. That being said, it's tough to let an old friend.

Logically, it may be time to start shopping.

Terry
Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Those repairs will cost a good bit more than it's worth; time to move on. And depending on what you get, you can still easily be getting 34mpg.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Time to move on my friend. Maybe an RSX or an SI? Both are great fun and fuel friendly cars.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its worth $1,500 now, and if you make all those repairs it might be worth $1,750.
Time to send that baby down the river probably.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
When I get into that position I will be hard pressed to let go of my Accord.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I've never had a car for that many miles or that long in duration, ever. You are clearly a thrifty person and that behavior deserves to be lauded in this age of overconsumption.

The answer to your question is a simple economic one, though. The repairs needed will be more than what your car is worth. It's time to move on. The fact you are asking at all indicates you are already close to letting go.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^

Yeah...it's time to put it in Park for a final time soon. It's served me well and for sure I've gotten the full value of that purchase. It's just so nice to not have a car payment but I guess I buy the next car with payment in full.

Car shopping time....that should be fun
Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Getting it Done

Originally Posted by endo022
^^^

Yeah...it's time to put it in Park for a final time soon. It's served me well and for sure I've gotten the full value of that purchase. It's just so nice to not have a car payment but I guess I buy the next car with payment in full.

Car shopping time....that should be fun
Have fun! Do you have any cars in mind off the top of your head?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ineedmyfixofacura
Have fun! Do you have any cars in mind off the top of your head?
Nothing yet...but it's been almost 15 years since I bought a car and if I'm buying, I'm buying new again and this time, I can afford to splurge a little (i was on a college student budget the last time) and hopefully keep it for 10-15 years again.

I was thinking of the following:

Acura:
TSX - V6 version
TL - although I would immediately paint that fugly chrome grill
MDX

Infinity:
M35/45

Lexus:
IS350 or F
GS

Audi:
S4
Q7

That's what I have so far on my list of cars to look at but it's open for other vehicles as well. The only caveat is it has to have 4 doors. I've had the 2dr coupe for 15 years...I'm getting away from it now
Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
My current DD is a '95 Integra which I got brand new back in the day. It has about 240K miles on it. It's still driving pretty strong and still reliable but I'm on the fence as to what I should do next to it. The list of repairs is starting to pile up and my goal was to drive this to the ground before getting another ride. I'm trying to determine if I've hit this point yet.

KBB value on the car is about $1500.

Radiator leaking (source is unknown other than a pool of coolant on the garage floor)

Oil pan needs to be replace (drip leak on the drain plug...new washers/plug doesn't help probably due drain plug hole being stripped a little wider through the years)

Antennae motor is broken

When the car starts and before it has a chance to warm up, it auto revs the engine up and down (probably have to bring to a shop to figure that one out unless you guys have a clue to what's going on)

All this maintenance work is going to add up and can easily cost more than what the car is worth.

The Integra is a bone stock RS...no A/C, no power locks. Granted...summers in Seattle isn't too hot but when it is hot...having A/C would really be nice (especially last summer!)

I'm ready to get another car with a little more creature comfort but it's nice not to have a car payment and avg 34mpg.

What do you guys think? Has it gotten to the point of running it into the ground yet and time for me to part ways?

Thanks for any input/advice
If you have the ability to afford a new car, then go for it! If not and you are on a tight budget, I'd suggest getting the idle checked out, then the oil pan and coolant drip, and lastly the axels since it's not like the car refuses to move, it's just a clicking noise...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
TSX comes closest to your 'teggy and has four doors. The V6 moves that car smartly and the TSX is the only current Acura sedan that I can say is good-looking. I say do it....while keeping csmeance's words above in mind.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Getting it Done

I would say IS-F but if I were you I would stay away from Toyota and what not. I agree with neuronbob on the TSX it's a sexy car. V6+Tech Package.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 AM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
+1 on the TSX V6
Old 02-24-2010, 01:06 AM
e92 335i

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Audi s5
Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Unfortunately it seems it's time to let her go. 245,000 miles is great but the thing you need to ask for yourself is how much are you willing to spend in order to keep it in service and is it worth it?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
I would move on. Like terafon said, the cost to fix it exceeds the value. It sounds like you've gotten your moneys worth from it.

Out of the cars you have listed, I would go after the TSX, M35/45, and the S4. I've never driven the S4, but I have driven the 4-cyl TSX and a M45 and I LOVED them both. Yes they aren't in the same catagory when it comes to price and amentities, but both are sedans, and I was impressed with both.

Would you be buying brand new? Or would a CPO car be okay?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Time to move on....

I just had a similar question myself with my TL (249K miles). I ended up getting another car, but kept the TL since I had many less issues than what you're stating. I would not sink that much money into a car that isn't worth that much to begin with.

Time to get something with A/C!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts

These two issues are most likely linked to each other... Since your cooling system isn't completely closed and under pressure, most likely you are pulling air into the system... If the idle air control valve is not receiving coolant, your idle will jump up and down... This happened to my 1G TL when a cooling line busted and my radiator cracked and there was no more coolant in the system...

seems like the most economic thing to do would be to let her go and look for something new... even with all the probs you can prob get 1k - 1.5k for the shell as there are guys willing to drop LS-vtec motors into it...if you were closer i prob would have thrown u an offer...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the responses guys

Kamlung: I'll take a look at the cooling system...I've been meaning to do a coolant flush so I'll take the radiator out and swap out the hoses and check on the thermostat. This I can do myself so I won't have to spend the $ at a shop.

If it ends up that it needs a new radiator...then it's for sure done.

The V6 TSX looks like a good candidate. My younger sister just got an '09 TSX last November and I've driven it twice and it was a pretty sweet ride.

I also have a nice discount hookup for a Lexus if I go that route.

Anything with a/c! hahaha

Any car I get will be new. I don't plan on trading it in or selling it within 5 years so I won't take the initial depreciation hit of buying new. Hopefully...I'll be able to keep it as long as I have kept the teggy. The teggy was rock solid up until the last year or so. I guess with all things, time and age will eventually take its toll.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say take a look at the GTI, but depending on how long you want to keep your new car, that might not be the greatest idea.

Myself, I just bought one and I'm waiting for it to arrive on these shores. Can't wait!

TSX was my second choice though and you can't go wrong with that either!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

UPDATE:

Antennae motor is broken

Still need new axles but I'll live with it for now.

I took apart the radiator over the weekend to check for cracks or leaks....didn't find any. During this time, I think I spotted the leak near a gasket on one of the hose right below the distributor cap. There was a little puddle of coolant collecting right below it so I may have found the source.

Now I just have to figure out how to replace that gasket? I've put a sealant on the edges for now until I can figure that out.

I proceeded with a flush of the radiator and filled it back up. The revving of the engine has since stopped (thanks KamLung )

Anyhow, looks like I'll be keeping this teggy for a bit longer as I can live with the other issues for now and it's not as pressing as the coolant leaking issue.

I'll see if I can take it up to 300K...that's the next goal.

Thanks for all the help/input.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
it's fun trying to get 25-50k more out of a vehicle
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
These two issues are most likely linked to each other... Since your cooling system isn't completely closed and under pressure, most likely you are pulling air into the system... If the idle air control valve is not receiving coolant, your idle will jump up and down... This happened to my 1G TL when a cooling line busted and my radiator cracked and there was no more coolant in the system...

seems like the most economic thing to do would be to let her go and look for something new... even with all the probs you can prob get 1k - 1.5k for the shell as there are guys willing to drop LS-vtec motors into it...if you were closer i prob would have thrown u an offer...
Bingo, had the same issue on my 95 accord exr back in the day, just air in the cooling system, like the op has already discovered. Doing the axles yourself is easy too.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I know what it feels like. I had a '94 Integra, was in love with it when I first got it used. I put about 100k miles on it (a lot less than you) but nevertheless the repairs started piling on and it was time for me to move on. By the time I got rid of it I already had replaced the timing belt, radiator, alternator, blown head gasket, struts, etc... and wasn't worth the money to keep it running.

But I knew I wanted to stay in the Acura family so I was deciding between the TSX and TL and eventually picked the TL. I got $1000 for the Integra, was fine with me lol.

I missed it, but as soon as I drove off the lot in the TL I was like
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

So...after squeezing another 3 years out of the integra...it's finally time to put it to rest....maybe

Most of the problem is still there and added a new one...the heater core gave out. I had to re-route the coolant hose to bypass the heater core so that it would stop dumping heated and steamed coolant into the interior .

I ran it like that up until December...and then it got too cold and rainy to drive around without the ability to defrost my windshield

Out with the old...and in with the new. It was a December to Remember for me

I picked up a 2013 Obisidian Lexus GS 350 with the F-sports package and some other goodies. I got it right before Christmas and it's been a blast to drive the past couple of months.

A couple of quick iphone pics...

Yes, the Integra is still around...it's been kicked to the driveway for now. I'm still trying to decide what I should do with it. It might be more cost effective to do a swap?

I'm tempted to do a full on swap and have it rebuilt with B18C1 or B18C5 with a 5sp tranny. The body of the integra is still holding up very well as is the interior. I think with the swap...I can still get to keep this and drive it for another 10yrs+...and keep the mileage down on the GS at the same time. I really would like to keep it and get a 5sp manual to split the commute and save me some gas $.

I won't be doing the engine work though...I've got my hands full as is and I'm not that mechanically inclined or skilled.

Anyone in the Seattle area have a shop recommendation to refer me to so I can get some ballpark figure on what this would cost? I have about a budget of $5k to do all this...if it ends up being more...I might have to scrap the idea.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Love the new ride, congrats!

Oh, what happened to the back bumper?
The following users liked this post:
endo022 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
^Looks like a reflection of the snow on the ground.

The GS looks fucking great! Love the new body style. Make sure you're on top of your game as far as maintaining the paint because black cars are no joke!!! I went from a red Civic to my current TSX, so I've learned the hard way!

And the Integra sounds like it could be a fun little side project. I'm sure motors+tranny's can be had relatively cheap... and labor shouldn't be too much since those cars are so simple & easy to work on!!

Enjoy the new ride, in good health!!

Last edited by iSeeYouTwo; 03-25-2013 at 04:43 PM.
endo022 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Wow, I bet you feel like you just stepped into a F-22 after driving that P-51 Mustang around for 17 years. Congratulations. Car is simply beautiful. Great choice.
endo022 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Love the new ride, congrats!

Oh, what happened to the back bumper?
nothing...I think it's just the reflection that made it look like it's been hit
Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
^Looks like a reflection of the snow on the ground.

The GS looks fucking great! Love the new body style. Make sure you're on top of your game as far as maintaining the paint because black cars are no joke!!! I went from a red Civic to my current TSX, so I've learned the hard way!

And the Integra sounds like it could be a fun little side project. I'm sure motors+tranny's can be had relatively cheap... and labor shouldn't be too much since those cars are so simple & easy to work on!!

Enjoy the new ride, in good health!!
Yeah...that black paint is a PITA to take care of. It gets dirty so easy and it scratches itself as soon as you look at it
iSeeYouTwo (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, very nice.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Never been a big fan of Lexus, but they did a fantastic job on the gs, especially in the f sport trim, I can't help but look every time I pass one of them.
endo022 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
nice choice.
endo022 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice upgrade, I'm loving that interior
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So...after squeezing another 3 years out of the integra...it's finally time to put it to rest....maybe

Most of the problem is still there and added a new one...the heater core gave out. I had to re-route the coolant hose to bypass the heater core so that it would stop dumping heated and steamed coolant into the interior .

I ran it like that up until December...and then it got too cold and rainy to drive around without the ability to defrost my windshield

Out with the old...and in with the new. It was a December to Remember for me

I picked up a 2013 Obisidian Lexus GS 350 with the F-sports package and some other goodies. I got it right before Christmas and it's been a blast to drive the past couple of months.

A couple of quick iphone pics...

Yes, the Integra is still around...it's been kicked to the driveway for now. I'm still trying to decide what I should do with it. It might be more cost effective to do a swap?

I'm tempted to do a full on swap and have it rebuilt with B18C1 or B18C5 with a 5sp tranny. The body of the integra is still holding up very well as is the interior. I think with the swap...I can still get to keep this and drive it for another 10yrs+...and keep the mileage down on the GS at the same time. I really would like to keep it and get a 5sp manual to split the commute and save me some gas $.

I won't be doing the engine work though...I've got my hands full as is and I'm not that mechanically inclined or skilled.

Anyone in the Seattle area have a shop recommendation to refer me to so I can get some ballpark figure on what this would cost? I have about a budget of $5k to do all this...if it ends up being more...I might have to scrap the idea.
Thats the current problem I have with my '95 Corolla DX . It sucks but when your on a very tight / limited budget you have to deal with what you have. If you swap the motor on the 'Teggy it would be worth while . Save money on gas and keep the GS looking new . You can find motors and all the parts @ Car-part. com . Hopefully you find something cheap there. bTw just trying to help you out . BTW have fun with the GS .
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
That GS is bananas. Glad you're enjoying the car, it's bad ass.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Thats a really really REALLY old car with somewhat high mileage, I say somewhat because I know dudes with 97 years that are over 280K miles...And they had to spend a leg and arm doing whole bunch of maintenance and replacement (transmission included) to get it to that miles.

Dump it, get a new car.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I wish I could've kept my integra as a project car.. so I'm gonna live vicariously through you and your project car
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Nice car!

Is it me or does that new Lexus look like a truck from Monster Jam?

Quick Reply: Time to let go?