Ticket question (not a police bashing thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
Ticket question (not a police bashing thread)

So I received my first speeding ticket today, he said I was going 70 in a 50 on a back road in VA. He passed in the opposite direction in the middle of nowhere but I thought nothing of it because I really didn't think I was going that fast but a few miles later he came flying up.

Regardless, he was cool and said he could give me a reckless but just gave me 20 over. I called and the automated system said it's a $61 fee plus $6 for every mile over but I'm reading online it maybe more since it is 20 over. Does this transfer to my out of state license (Florida) and will my insurance go up if I just pay it?

I know it sounds silly to ask about insurance but he didn't take my insurance or registration info, just my license. Maybe he just looked it up by my tag? I have a clean record so i would happily just pay if I didn't get points but would like to avoid them if possible.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
So I received my first speeding ticket today, he said I was going 70 in a 50 on a back road in VA. He passed in the opposite direction in the middle of nowhere but I thought nothing of it because I really didn't think I was going that fast but a few miles later he came flying up.

Regardless, he was cool and said he could give me a reckless but just gave me 20 over. I called and the automated system said it's a $61 fee plus $6 for every mile over but I'm reading online it maybe more since it is 20 over. Does this transfer to my out of state license (Florida) and will my insurance go up if I just pay it?

I know it sounds silly to ask about insurance but he didn't take my insurance or registration info, just my license. Maybe he just looked it up by my tag? I have a clean record so i would happily just pay if I didn't get points but would like to avoid them if possible.
does florida have traffic school, like over here in california where you can do it to prevent it from getting to your insurance and just pay the fines?

also, can cops read your speed when they are going in the opposite direction? How did he get you?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Florida does have traffic school and I'm sure cops can read speed while passing. I'm sure I wasn't going 50 and while I think 70 is high, I'm not trying to argue that. I would do the school but would do it in Florida?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Cops can radar you going in the opposite direction. The idea is that these radar guns subtract the cop's speed from your relative speed, coming up with your actual speed. Cop driving 65 mph, clocks you at 150 mph (relatively) as you are coming toward him/her....simple math says you are doing 85 mph.

Here's a sample radar gun with that function....it plugs right into the cop car's OBDII port.

http://www.stalkerradar.com/law_dsr.shtml
Old 07-12-2011, 05:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Whether or not the points will transfer to Florida and affect your insurance depends on the reciprocity agreements between FL and VA.

Better to ask a FL trafiic lawyer what the best course of action is.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Thanks Bearcat, like I said I'm not arguing the speed, I just want to see if I can minimize the insurance hit. I have googled it of course but have VERY conflicting views so I was hoping AZ could make light of it. I guess I should call a traffic attorney tomorrow
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Sucks to hear that man.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Florida has a point system?.. I though that was a northeast thing.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Whether or not the points will transfer to Florida and affect your insurance depends on the reciprocity agreements between FL and VA.

Better to ask a FL trafiic lawyer what the best course of action is.
This.

For example, I have a VA license and got a speeding ticket in NJ. No points, but its on my record and my insurance went up because of it.

You could always go into court if you are in VA for awhile, but Im not sure how they would treat an out of stater allegedly doing 20 over - I was able to beat a 76 in a 60 (well, knock it down to traffic school), but I had a VA license at the time and the judge was nice.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Hmmm, well I am 29 with no speeding tickets minus this one spothat may help. Called insurance and they said not to worry, points won't transfer and my rates won't go up but I'm not sure this guy knew for sure
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Hmmm, well I am 29 with no speeding tickets minus this one spothat may help. Called insurance and they said not to worry, points won't transfer and my rates won't go up but I'm not sure this guy knew for sure
Don't trust the insurance reps or agents for that matter. I like my agent, but he's told me something on two different occasions, only to be overturned by the underwriters. They hold the authority.

I've gotten out-of-state citations, and they all shared/transferred. Look up online and most sites will tell you Michigan is one of the few that does NOT share that info. But it does; I know from personal experience (clerk screwed up and marked my MI ticket as non-paid requesting suspension on my AL license, when it was in fact paid in full). The clerk here in AL looked up my MI record in literally seconds. It's all shared and most likely transfer.

When I lived in Michigan with a Michigan license, I got a speeding ticket in Iowa. Hired a lawyer in Iowa, negotiated a traffic school for no points, except it had to be done in Iowa. So I drove all the way out there again.

Call a VA lawyer. Florida lawyer would have no privilege to practice in VA with the VA court system unless you find a rare one that has bar permit in both states. Even then, it's all about how well the lawyer knows the court people. So it's best to find a local VA lawyer.

Last edited by Pure Adrenaline; 07-14-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Don't trust the insurance reps or agents for that matter. I like my agent, but he's told me something on two different occasions, only to be overturned by the underwriters. They hold the authority.

I've gotten out-of-state citations, and they all shared/transferred. Look up online and most sites will tell you Michigan is one of the few that does NOT share that info. But it does; I know from personal experience (clerk screwed up and marked my MI ticket as non-paid requesting suspension on my AL license, when it was in fact paid in full). The clerk here in AL looked up my MI record in literally seconds. It's all shared and most likely transfer.

When I lived in Michigan with a Michigan license, I got a speeding ticket in Iowa. Hired a lawyer in Iowa, negotiated a traffic school for no points, except it had to be done in Iowa. So I drove all the way out there again.

Call a VA lawyer. Florida lawyer would have no privilege to practice in VA with the VA court system unless you find a rare one that has bar permit in both states. Even then, it's all about how well the lawyer knows the court people. So it's best to find a local VA lawyer.
I agree with everything he said here.

Don't trust your agent. Ticket on your record, even if in another state, could make your rate go up. For some reason, the agent usually says it won't, but it does.

It is worth the time and money to attempt to keep it off your record because it could save you a lot of insurance dollars. Increased rates usually last 3 years. (I think State Farm will lower them again after 18 months if nothing else pops up.) An extra $50/month over 3 years is $1800.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Get a lawyer. And do what ever it takes to not get it on ur recored.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Thanks all, I figured a lawyer was best.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
lawyer up. I got a ticket in VA a few years ago, and the lawyer actually insisted i appear in court. There is also an online traffic school I took and passed. Printed the proof of completion, showed up in VA with my lawyer, it was noted I drove all the way from New Jersey to appear and it went from 90 in a 65 down to i think to a non point violation if i remember correctly. HOWEVER, all in (lawyer included i dropped about $700 on the incident). needless to say i use cruise control in VA.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Wow, I have never had a ticket in my life and I was pulled AGAIN for speeding. I got out of it but I guess I am used to Florida and their lax speeding enforcement.

Wow, you guys are right, the insurance company gives me a different answer every time I talk to them. Lawyer here I come and cruise control is where it's at in VA
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
ya. no speeding in VA. they love speeders up there. watch out for ATL too