Those two hour repair jobs that go wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Those two hour repair jobs that go wrong

My 96 Saturn had a leaking transmission top cover gasket, so I decided to fix it. After five years of cardboard, it was getting annoying.

Fine, I download a DIY guide from SaturnFans. The procedure was fairly simple:

1. Remove air box and resonator
2. Remove intake tubing
3. Remove battery and battery tray.
4. Wiggle Master Cylinder out of the way, and strap with bungee cords.
5. Remove bolts on top cover, replace gasket, and reinstall.
6. Reinstall everything in reverse.

It took me about 45 min to do 1-5, except for removing the gasket. Did have to use some special flex sockets to get the bolts off, but no biggie.

Pull the cover off, and see the gasket. I thought fine, I skin it off, pop the new one on, and I'm golden.

How wrong was I...!!! The gasket was GLUED onto the top of the transmission with gasket sealer (?). If you've ever been under the hood of a 96 Saturn SL2, the area the transmission opening is is about 1' by 1', surrounded by an AC line, radiator hose, and master cylinder.

Four putty knives, two cans of carb cleaner, two long screwdrivers, and a can of gasket softener, plus almost 2 hours later, I had 95% of the gasket scraped off. Had some fall in the transmission too.

To give you an idea of how "tough" this stuff was stuck on, even after repeated attempts with gasket softener, the traces of gasket on the cover itself required a motorized wire brush to "machine off."

So uhh...does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this now? I think a small amount of gasket material may've fallen into the transmission, but I do have a spin-on filter on there. Any advice in the future for tough gasket removal jobs like this?

TIA.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:14 AM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A razor blade is the best to get off the sealant. Be careful, because you don't want to damage the case. If you damage the case it won't seal right.

It sounds like you'll need a new gasket (shouldn't have been any glue there in the first place). You also don't have to get 100% or the sealant off. Get all you can with a razor blade and you'll be fine.

As far as the microscopic pieces falling into the tranny - don't worry about it. When they get sucked up by the pump they will go into the filter. Just change the spin on at your normal service interval. Remember, the TAAT has two filters. The other one is not serviceable. Now, if you drop a screw or something like that down there it's a big deal, and you'll need a magnet or a REALLY small arm to get it out.

Good luck. Are you changing the valve body as well?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
a razor blade scraper, a hell of a lot of brake cleaner or gasoline, and rtv with the new gasket. To bad it's not like a rear end cover where you can acid wash it and the cover/dirt comes right off.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:48 PM

The car has been back together as of yesterday, Friday. From start to finish, it took me 4-5 hours over the course of three days. Removing and reinstalling the components to access the top cover only took an hr total. Finding ways to remove the old gasket and running out to buy gasket remover took up the bulk of the time.

Removed about 98% of the old gasket. I didn't use gasket sealer this time; I lightly coated the new gasket with 3M spray-on adhesive (stuff you use to spray cardboard, cloth, etc) and adhered it to the transmission side to line-up. Popped the clean cover on, torqued to 100 in-lbs, maybe a bit more. No leak so far...I hope.

Did a 4 qt drain and refill with Walmart Dexron III(H)/Mercon. Will head to the dealership some time this week to get a new spin-on filter and 5 quarts of Dexron VI.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:51 PM

BTW...this is the first time the cover was removed, so the sealant was on there from the factory. A Saturn Tech told me that this is normal and that the sealant is required or else the gasket will leak ??? I thought that gaskets were what they were...they seal...and sealant was only used for installation aid ?!?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:22 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
At work I used the solvent wash to get everything off. When that isn't available I scrape off as much as possible with a razor blade and then soak a shop rag with brake clean and start cleaning. Shop rags are fairly coarse and with the break cleaner will take off whatever liquid gasket remains.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I feel that way with my Explorer.

Seems everything I have done that was supposed to be quick has taken a lot longer.
Like simple shock replacement.... Don't have to take the front wheels off, just turn the wheel in so you can work. 30 minute job. Yeah well 3 days later I had rigged lower shock mounts with grade 8 bolts & nuts cause the bolts sheared off with a 1/2 turn of a ratchet.
Or battery replacement......Again simple 30 minute thing took 2 days cause the hold down was seized to the battery tray & I had to bend the bracket to remove the battery, then cut it off & figure out a way to hold down the new battery.
So yeah I understand. It sucks!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by subinf
At work I used the solvent wash to get everything off. When that isn't available I scrape off as much as possible with a razor blade and then soak a shop rag with brake clean and start cleaning. Shop rags are fairly coarse and with the break cleaner will take off whatever liquid gasket remains.
I'm not sure what that stuff is...I tried the carb cleaner and rag thing and it doesn't surrender...at all.

Initially, using a razor blade alone removed the skin of the top at most...most of it still remained...and this is with considerable effort.

Mind you, this is a 1' by 1' space...with risk of dropping junk into the transmission. I wonder what this stuff they (factory) used might be.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
BTW...this is the first time the cover was removed, so the sealant was on there from the factory. A Saturn Tech told me that this is normal and that the sealant is required or else the gasket will leak ??? I thought that gaskets were what they were...they seal...and sealant was only used for installation aid ?!?
Wrong, you could have needed some RTV on there. Like a good example is a gasket seal on a rear of a Chevy 5.7L engine. You always RTV with the gasket in the rear.

Sometimes the machining isn't perfect and you need some RTV.

If it doesn't leak you are good to go, but don't continue making the same assumptions about all gaskets.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:21 AM

I'm headed to SF now...lets hope the thing doesn't explode.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:12 PM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could ask my builder if you want me to, but I don't think we use any anaerobic or RTV on those gaskets when we rebuild them. Do they come from the factory that way? I don't know off the top of my head, but I could ask.

In any event - good luck. Hope it doesn't leak any more.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 PM

Please ask your builder, let me know.

This was the first time the transmission was opened. Our family has owned this car since new so I know that I'm the first one to open the top cover. It DID come that way from the factory, fiber gasket GLUED to the transmission.

I sprayed a light coating of 3M Super 77 Super Adhesive (Aerosol) to the correct side of the gasket, and glued it to the transmission. Then I popped the cover on and torqued it to 8-9 ft-lbs. Let me know what your builder thinks.

Thanks.