Thinking oof buying a modded STi

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:02 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thinking oof buying a modded STi

I am thinking about buying another STi and found a pretty decent looking one with some mods that include a front mounted intercooler, suspension work and some other goodies. I went to check the car out in person yesterday and the guy who owns it is a wholesale auto dealer that buys cars and sells to auctions.

I was in a rush (in between sales calls) yesterday when I checked the car out and showed up to his dealership unannounced. His dealership is located in an industrial office park and all of the cars are inside the building which is basically a warehouse (reminded me of the Gone in 60 seconds shop but cleaner).

When I got there I asked him to fire up the car and it started without a problem and sounded fine. Not that I had any plans on test driving but he said that he needed a check in hand or serious offer before he would allow a test drive which I thought was odd as I rolled up in an 07 Porsche. He is firm in his price of $22.9K but I am sure I could get the car for less with a cash deal.

My question is this. Would the mods that are on this car have any significant drawbacks that you would be concerned with? I would post to the STI forums but I don't want to tip them off and potentially lose the deal.

Link below:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TAFSRCHUSDTEXT
Old 05-30-2007, 04:42 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
car looks good but IMO u should get a EVO instead
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Those look like 17inch Rota SDR's. The work on the car looks pretty well done to me. I say it looks good.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would want to know owner history before getting a used STI or EVO.

You never know how it was driven or taken care of. I know a lot of STI ex-owners who got rid of their car because they knew they drove it like they stole it everyday.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Exactly what mods does it have, however I would go for an Evo as well. But then again, im biased..
Old 05-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(I currently have a modded WRX and a stock Forester XT)

Engine management. That is the most important factor when looking at a modded STI. If it has much more than a turbo-back exhaust (looks like it does!), then custom tuning is really a must for these cars. Find out who did the tune, then find out if that tuner is well thought of.

Bad mods for subaru turbos:

intakes (Stock intake is generally thought to be good for all but the most beastly cars). That being said, front mount cars usually have a short ram intake for space reasons.

blow-off valves (Stock is a bypass valve that vents the pressure back into the intake, the ECU cannot be reporgrammed to account for this so it runs rich. Stand-alone engine management can take care of this, but it is rare). Front mount cars almost always have a BOV, and it looks like this one does. It can make the car run rich between shifts.

The STI (they dropped the lowercase "i" last year) six speed is a very robust transmission--shouldn't be any problem there.

The VF39 turbo can have issues with boost creep when coupled with aftermarket downpipes. Try to do a nice long third gear pull and pay attention to the boost gauge. I would venture to say this car has a bigger turbo, maybe an 18G or 20G.

Speaking of gauges, a boost gauge and a EGT is pretty much mandatory for modded turbo cars. If there is no EGT, then I would be wary of the car. A good wideband O2 sensor is an alternative. If there is a EGT, make sure the temperatures are good (~1200, less than 1600 for sure) after a long pull at full boost. I saw only one gauge in the pictures, but a another one may be mounted up higher.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Looks like a sweet ride. brizey, as this particular STI has an FMIC do you think an Impreza 2.5i hood could clear the intake piping? (Just curious)
Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brizey

Engine management. That is the most important factor when looking at a modded STI. If it has much more than a turbo-back exhaust (looks like it does!), then custom tuning is really a must for these cars. Find out who did the tune, then find out if that tuner is well thought of.

intakes (Stock intake is generally thought to be good for all but the most beastly cars). That being said, front mount cars usually have a short ram intake for space reasons.

blow-off valves (Stock is a bypass valve that vents the pressure back into the intake, the ECU cannot be reporgrammed to account for this so it runs rich. Stand-alone engine management can take care of this, but it is rare). Front mount cars almost always have a BOV, and it looks like this one does. It can make the car run rich between shifts.

The STI (they dropped the lowercase "i" last year) six speed is a very robust transmission--shouldn't be any problem there.

The VF39 turbo can have issues with boost creep when coupled with aftermarket downpipes. Try to do a nice long third gear pull and pay attention to the boost gauge. I would venture to say this car has a bigger turbo, maybe an 18G or 20G.

Speaking of gauges, a boost gauge and a EGT is pretty much mandatory for modded turbo cars. If there is no EGT, then I would be wary of the car. A good wideband O2 sensor is an alternative. If there is a EGT, make sure the temperatures are good (~1200, less than 1600 for sure) after a long pull at full boost. I saw only one gauge in the pictures, but a another one may be mounted up higher.
Thanks for the heads up. I do not want to buy this and get in over my head with repairs if the previous owner drove the hell out of it or screwed it up trying to tune it. The start up sounded good as well as the revs. It did not sound like it had an aftermarket exhause or headers. I am going to low ball and offer him $19.5k cash and see if he bites.

He said he is ok with me taking it to a Subby dealership to check it out but with all the mods I wonder how helpful they would be. I need to find a good tuner in the metro-atlanta area.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:48 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

The pictures don't do that engine bay justice. When I saw it yesterday everything was polished, neat and clean. I bought my previous 04 Sti for $23,000 and it only had 14,000 miles on it. Won an auction on Ebay from a Ford Dealership in Macon, ga. To this day I think they thought it was a regular Impreza.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Exactly what mods does it have, however I would go for an Evo as well. But then again, im biased..
I have never driven an Evo before but for some reason I am just drawn to the Sti for cheap performance thrills.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gsi00154
I have never driven an Evo before but for some reason I am just drawn to the Sti for cheap performance thrills.
Test drive an Evo, and you may never look back
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F23A4
Looks like a sweet ride. brizey, as this particular STI has an FMIC do you think an Impreza 2.5i hood could clear the intake piping? (Just curious)

There are plenty of STi owners who have gone FMIC and gotten a RS hood.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 AM
The Boss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey

You ought to listen to this guy. Very well said statement and I agree 100% with him
Old 05-30-2007, 10:29 AM
The Boss

The pictures don't do that engine bay justice. When I saw it yesterday everything was polished, neat and clean. I bought my previous 04 Sti for $23,000 and it only had 14,000 miles on it. Won an auction on Ebay from a Ford Dealership in Macon, ga. To this day I think they thought it was a regular Impreza.
Anytime you're buying a boosted car you have to worry about the possibility of things going wrong. Are you one of those who knows how to work on cars should something go wrong? Are you one that can afford the repair? If none of the above, you shouldn't buy one.

If you own a 2007 Porsche, then you should be able to afford this one with no problem. Having that said, now just leaves you the headache part
Old 05-30-2007, 11:58 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BoostedJack
Anytime you're buying a boosted car you have to worry about the possibility of things going wrong. Are you one of those who knows how to work on cars should something go wrong? Are you one that can afford the repair? If none of the above, you shouldn't buy one.

If you own a 2007 Porsche, then you should be able to afford this one with no problem. Having that said, now just leaves you the headache part
I can turn a wrench or two but my level of expertise with a turbo car is that of a novice/intermediate so I would be farming out repair work to a shop. This would not be my main car either just something of a collection I suppose. My plan is to model it after an S204. Yummmmm!!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
personally, I don't think I'd ever buy a STi/WRX or EVO used... it's like going into a relationship knowing she's "been around the block a few times"... chances are she's been "used and abused"

just my
Old 05-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by is300eater
personally, I don't think I'd ever buy a STi/WRX or EVO used... it's like going into a relationship knowing she's "been around the block a few times"... chances are she's been "used and abused"

just my
Exactly what I was thinking...and also for the price of 22K... I'd go with something newer.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Drifting

The guy said "why pay $60k for a porsche turbo, when you can have this...blahblah".
Where can I get a porsche turbo for $60k? I'll buy it right now
Old 05-30-2007, 01:35 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zigzagzig
The guy said "why pay $60k for a porsche turbo, when you can have this...blahblah".
Where can I get a porsche turbo for $60k? I'll buy it right now
I said the same thing when I read that.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

I am still waiting on the guy to get back with me on the list of mods. You would think he would have all of this to help get his price.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I would be shocked if he had a FMIC and no TBE. STI's usually use the stock up-pipe because it has no cat. Headers are rare in subaru-land. FMIC usually goes with a bigger turbo, hence my comment above.

Typical subaru power mod path:

EM (engine management)
UP/TBE (up-pipe/turboback exhaust)
Turbo (pre-2007 USDM STi has an IFI VF-39, upgrades are usually Mitsu 18g or 20G)
FMIC (Front mount intercooler)
EWG (External wastegate)
Tumbler valve delete
Internal/block/cams etc.

Check your regional forum on NASIOC to see if you can find out who owned the car. Anyone with that many mods is probably a regular there.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The car might have had a turbo upgrade which might've been taken off the car prior to the sale. Hence the bigger intercooler. Or it may just be there for some sort of bling factor
Old 05-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

People use RS hoods. People also buy aftermarket hoods as well. Some leave the stock hood on for stealth reasons. There are also inserts around that replace teh scoop.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:31 PM

it will be easier and cheaper to mod an evo. Good luck with your purchase, fun car to own if u like japanese sportscars.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:55 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
evo>sti

the sti has a terrible drive train, ive heard horror stories of slightly moded cars detonating on a track. The Evos stock drive train is sold and can handle lots of power...
Old 05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I can't find my garage

mm, car looks nice
Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

I posted onto IWSTI Forum and got some very interesting replies. Everyone said to stay away from it. See the thread below.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87613
Old 05-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I posted onto IWSTI Forum and got some very interesting replies. Everyone said to stay away from it. See the thread below.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87613
You're probably better off staying away from it, I mean it is an STi
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
You're probably better off staying away from it, I mean it is an STi