Is there still a wide margin in terms of reliability between BMW and Japanese cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
I have to disagree....The IF and the GS are beautifully crafted sedans (the LS appearance is a bit dull but the finishing is a work of art)....the GS offers a level of comfort unmatched by any other competitors....The LS ride is nothing short of stellar (the quietness is unreal), probably you need to get into serious hyer luxury sedans to have something that compares

The suspension setup IS relevant...BMW recently decided, finally, to convert to double wishbone front suspension...the McPherson struts is inherently less precise....granted I drove many BMW and many premium Japanese and, for example, between the G37 and the 335 I was unable to notice any shortcomings in the BMW front suspension however I was not able to detect any supposed Bimmer superiority or feel either.......I think that is pure disillusion and media brainwashing....let's call it fantasy...
I will agree with you on the lexus part that they offer the most comfort in the business, same with toyota. They ride a lot smoother than their competitors. But to the younger people, thats just viewed as boring.

Some people always brings up the 3 series and just how bmw pays everyone to say its good. Why can't people agree that it is just that good. I've never driven a G class so I cannot directly compare, but from what I've read, the G is pretty close in the driving dynamics of the 3 series. Closer than other manufacturers get to the 3 at least.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,833 Likes on 3,743 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
I will agree with you on the lexus part that they offer the most comfort in the business, same with toyota. They ride a lot smoother than their competitors. But to the younger people, thats just viewed as boring.

Some people always brings up the 3 series and just how bmw pays everyone to say its good. Why can't people agree that it is just that good. I've never driven a G class so I cannot directly compare, but from what I've read, the G is pretty close in the driving dynamics of the 3 series. Closer than other manufacturers get to the 3 at least.
That's a great question. I don't know why people just can't seem to admit the the 3 series drives great. It is certainly NOT fantasy to me.

The suspension setup IS relevant...BMW recently decided, finally, to convert to double wishbone front suspension...the McPherson struts is inherently less precise....granted I drove many BMW and many premium Japanese and, for example, between the G37 and the 335 I was unable to notice any shortcomings in the BMW front suspension however I was not able to detect any supposed Bimmer superiority or feel either.......I think that is pure disillusion and media brainwashing....let's call it fantasy...
Why is the device that a car maker uses for suspension components relevant to the consumer? If BMW put bed springs and rubber bands under the car, but made it drive like the 3 series...why would that matter? It might matter on a psychological level, or in theory. But in practice, the only thing that matters is the end result. Right?

I've never driven a G37, I'd like to, and plan on testing one when new car time comes. Maybe they drive very similarly to a 335. If so, that's great! A great driving car with the HOPE of Japanese reliability = win!

IMO. there is no delusion or fantasy about the way my old 325i drove. I still think of it when I drive new cars today.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,833 Likes on 3,743 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Fixed.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I tend to agree that long term reliability is less of a factor as the income level rise...
Which was my point.

Juniorbean, personally I followed the opposite path you described....I owned Audis and BMW (and my dad owned MB) in the past and I switched to Japanese as I got older (and yes my income did increase), wiser and I learned to look "under the hood"...
Our Audi's easily surpassed our Acura's in term of reliability. And the dealer/service experience in Audi is first class all the way. Acura, not so much.

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
I was a die-hard Germany car guy with a few HMoCo products thrown into the mix. Now that I am older and have substantially less money, I go for the best bang for the buck!
Again, kind of my point... more tied to money then age (at least in my experience).

Originally Posted by Costco
Overall though its hard to generalize. I guess it really depends on how loose people are with their money. I know people who are very wealthy but live in a modest house and drive modest cars. Others who have big houses and modest cars, and others with big houses and luxury cars only.
As I said, many people we know are in a high end German car and won't even look at a Asian brand. Could be a status thing, could be an experience thing... but whatever it is, they're loyal German car owners. And for the most part they have been reliable. From A4's/3-series/C-class owners all the way up to R8's and Cayenne's... never heard any complaints from any of them about reliability and they all love their cars. That said, several Toyota and ES owners haven't been so happy lately

So each person will have their own ideas based on their own experiences and priorities. Bottom line is opinions are like assholes... everyone has one. And b/c of that, people will have to agree to disagree...
Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean

Our Audi's easily surpassed our Acura's in term of reliability. And the dealer/service experience in Audi is first class all the way. Acura, not so much.
i agree with most of your post... but my acura dealer, which i dont visit very much anymore as i dont tinker with my cars that often anymore... is a GREAT place to be.

im not going to rant on about all the stuff they have done for me as it wouldnt mean much to people who havent had the same experience...

that is my point though... it is a dealer to dealer experience that is subjective...

maybe its luck of the draw.. but my acura dealer provides a wonderful experience everytime i go.. if they every provide a desirable car in the future, ill be one of the first in line to pick one up.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
You been lucky..my 2 Audis were among the most unreliable vehicles I ever owned (only "bested" by Chrysler).

My sister in law in 3 years ownership of an A4 has already got to know very well her dealer service department (among various things the entire valvetrain replaced under warranty....in almost 8 years of ownership I did not even replaced the brake in my Maxima...I had zero issues, zilch, nada)...and as a loaner she got sometimes WV Golfs and Jettas, my Acura dealer tries to match your loaner with the car you are already own or higher (in few words, as a TL owner I can expect to receive a TL as a loaner and not a TSX), I guess they can do that because they do not expect to have much "traffic".....not that I expect to vist my Acura dealer that often thank God...

As I said, many people we know are in a high end German car and won't even look at a Asian brand.......
I agree that many people think that...habits and opinions are hard to change and, again, the perceived superiority is because German brands have a hyper top offering that Asians lack, halo cars help sell regular ones...the young "trendy" professional dreams about the R8 and buys the A4...

However, Audi has not the same cachet of BMW or, even better, Mercedes among the top income buyer and that is not debatable....the same as Porsche has not the same cachet of Ferrari....real luxury cars do not have "payment estimate calculator" function on their web pages....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-04-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

However, Audi has not the same cachet of BMW or, even better, Mercedes among the top income buyer and that is not debatable....
I would debate it... but there's no point in debating differing opinions. That's why they're called opinions. For me... I'm not really impressed when I see a 7-series or S-class. But a nice A8 gets my attention every time...
Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
i agree with most of your post... but my acura dealer, which i dont visit very much anymore as i dont tinker with my cars that often anymore... is a GREAT place to be.

that is my point though... it is a dealer to dealer experience that is subjective...
It definitely varies dealer to dealer. While the Audi dealer here in Charlotte makes you feel like a first class VIP, the one where we lived in NY was pretty average. Service was good, but the environment was just standard dealer.

The Acura dealer here in CLT as well as in NY (well, NJ... I used to drive to Park Ave Acura for service) had GREAT service and treated me incredibly... however, neither has that first class feeling. Maybe they just need a remodel
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

My last two vehicles have been German, and they have been more reliable and of better quality than the last Acura vehicle I owned, and the current Honda I own.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

My last two vehicles have been German, and they have been more reliable and of better quality than the last Acura vehicle I owned, and the current Honda I own.
Good to here that your GTI is reliable. Thats what I'm wishing to have as my next car, assuming I can afford that price.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
The way dealerships treat you is in no way entirely consistent from dealer to dealer. My Acura dealer is great. The Benz dealer my family goes to is :thumbsdow.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Tell that to Peter Sauber

Remember back in June when he said this about his Ferrari engines?

http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/20547.html
The last two lines are telling from that article.

"The Spaniard seemed to indicate that Sauber's ongoing engine problems could be related to the C29 car.
"It is surprising that [Ferrari powered] Toro Rosso have never had a problem," said Gene"

Since Ferrari and Toro Rosso are not having problems after the Ferrari engine fix perhaps the fitment to the RB car is a problem. Brawn had similar problems at the start of last season with their MB engines, the cooling and chassis has been previously designed for a Honda powerplant. There were problems that required a redesign of some of those systems.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cjTL
The way dealerships treat you is in no way entirely consistent from dealer to dealer.
RIF

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
It definitely varies dealer to dealer.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW has gotten a lot better its just the N54 has killed them for the reliability factor avg.