Is there still a wide margin in terms of reliability between BMW and Japanese cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by bob j
Audis are made by VW...need i say more? There junk.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
We had a 92 325i for 14 years and the drivetrain had zero problems whatsoever. The only things that I ever remember going wrong with it were some broken clips on the passenger door interior panel that would cause it to be loose, some condensation in the right rear tail light, and one of the speakers blew right before we sold it. That was at ~170k miles. There wasn't even a hiccup as far as the engine was concerned.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Luxury and dependability a rare combination in European cars, Consumer Reports finds

Vehicles from manufacturers such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes rank low in the magazine's latest reliability ratings, while Ford and GM make advances.

If you are in the market for an expensive, dependable German luxury car, think again, Consumer Reports warns in its annual ranking of auto reliability Tuesday.

"The larger [European] manufacturers, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, are among the worst automakers overall," Consumer Reports said.

It turns out that expense and luxury don't always equate to reliability, said Jake Fisher, senior automotive engineer with Consumer Reports. Often, there is an inverse relationship.

Big luxury cars come with "a lot of power equipment, electronic gizmos and complexity," Fisher said, "and that means more chances for something to go wrong."

In particular, Audi and BMW have introduced new high-performance engines that combine power and fuel efficiency, but the technology has been daunting, he noted.....
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...,3534372.story
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Still find it odd that reports are coming out like that. The last two Audi's we've owned have been more reliable then the last two Acura's I owned.

But alas, that's old news:

Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
nice bringing it back from the dead
Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Well if he would have started a new topic, it would have been locked... so this was a better strategy

Still not sure how long it will stay open. We'll see!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM
B A N N E D

lol
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Still not sure how long it will stay open. We'll see!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
So whoever it was that said German cars were built to break was right after all!

Experience is only anecdotal but my brother's wife's Mini Cooper S JCW is "a piece of junk". Because of that car, my brother vowed never to buy a BMW for the rest of his life.

Maybe the rate of cars being lemons is greater with Euro makes? Almost everyone in the 3-series thread has little or no problems. And then there's Scrib
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Costco
So whoever it was that said German cars were built to break was right after all!

Experience is only anecdotal but my brother's wife's Mini Cooper S JCW is "a piece of junk". Because of that car, my brother vowed never to buy a BMW for the rest of his life.

Maybe the rate of cars being lemons is greater with Euro makes? Almost everyone in the 3-series thread has little or no problems. And then there's Scrib
the best is when they are driven in snow, and power steering pump cooling duct packs up with snow underneth, and takes out the p/s pump by overheating it lol

but i would say more the reason probably why they see fewer problems with euro cars, is that the manufactures are more liberal with warranty stuff (ie: it comes in for an oil change, and other parts get replaced without the customer ever knowing since they are not paying for said repair, so the issue never gets "reported"), then also euro car people seem to also like the dealer more so then Japanese cars, so again issues never get fully reported
Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco

While BMW owns Mini, I personally wouldn't put BMW's own products on the hook for Mini's flaw. But on the flipside, their ownership of the Mini brand makes them somewhat culpable so I do get your bro's logic.

Back on this two year old topic, I think the reliability margin for NEW cars is too close to call.

So, I would answer the original question with a reliability comparison of...say....a 2003 Honda/Toyota product versus VW/BMW from the same year.

IMHO, smart money would still say a 2003 Honda Civic EX w/120k has better odds of being more reliable than a 2003 VW Jetta GL w/85k...assuming the respective owners have dutifully maintained their vehicles properly. Again, this is my and may reflect my personal bias and not actual quantification.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
While BMW owns Mini, I personally wouldn't put BMW's own products on the hook for Mini's flaw. But on the flipside, their ownership of the Mini brand makes them somewhat culpable so I do get your bro's logic.

Back on this two year old topic, I think the reliability margin for NEW cars is too close to call.

So, I would answer the original question with a reliability comparison of...say....a 2003 Honda/Toyota product versus VW/BMW from the same year.

IMHO, smart money would still say a 2003 Honda Civic EX w/120k has better odds of being more reliable than a 2003 VW Jetta GL w/85k...assuming the respective owners have dutifully maintained their vehicles properly. Again, this is my and may reflect my personal bias and not actual quantification.
It is personal bias but I'd agree with you on older VWs. I know several people who have owned Jettas and have had tons of problems.... I don't know anyone who has an older one and hasn't had much trouble if you don't count regular maintenance. This is anecdotal experience, but it's what I've observed, not something I've come up on my own and associated with future VWs or Jettas.

A new one (Jetta, for instance), despite any issues on prior models, is probably on par with a comparable with a same year Civic or Corolla. Toyota's recent issues, accidental acceleration or otherwise has been well publicized. And we all know about the 5AT issues that are still plaguing newer vehicles like the Odysseys, and even the synchronizer issues with 6MT cars, then there's the brakes that warp when you look at them funny. Hell, the bread and butter 8G Civic specifically has some issues with the rear shocks prematurely going out also.

To widely generalize a certain car model's reliability from one generation to the next is silly. To generalize with a make is foolish. To generalize across an entire region (Japanese/German/American) is just plain stupid. Even going from one year to the next can result in relatively significant changes in terms of quality/reliability
Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
One thing to consider when looking at the above chart is that the chart seems to indicate the NUMBER of issues.

Consider this scenario:

Mercedes has a blinker bulb burn out, a door rattle and the sunroof squeaks. = 3 Problems

Buick has a transmission fail. = 1 Problem

Which would you rather have?

I think that when people purchase luxury hyped cars, they have a greater expectation and will complain about many smaller things that the buyer of a KIA or a Buick may overlook.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,678 Likes on 13,910 Posts
^ But...a Buick is not Japanese...
Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
One thing to consider when looking at the above chart is that the chart seems to indicate the NUMBER of issues.

Consider this scenario:

Mercedes has a blinker bulb burn out, a door rattle and the sunroof squeaks. = 3 Problems

Buick has a transmission fail. = 1 Problem

Which would you rather have?

I think that when people purchase luxury hyped cars, they have a greater expectation and will complain about many smaller things that the buyer of a KIA or a Buick may overlook.
I would tend to agree.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
That buick musta been made in ohio next to acura than
Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
But... Buick is listed as having the fewest problems...
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Back to the original question "Is there still a wide margin in terms of long term reliability between BMW and Japanese cars?"

Yes there is and is not trivial....however the German manufacturers are not terribly concerned with it because their typical target customer do not care about it (higher income, more focused on "trendy" rather than practical, durable or "under the hood technologically advanced", 3 years typical vehicle turnover, etc...)

There are very specific reasons why cars from Deutschland cannot compete on value with vehicles from Japan.

- Japanese superior logistic management (smaller German global footprint, higher labor cost, etc...)

- Japanese top manufacturers are one generation ahead in quality control (Toyota TQM anyone??)

- Higher advertisement and "media involvement" costs and R&D costs for the "my penis is longer than yours" German top models (Bugatti is an egregious example)....guess who pays for the development cost of these?? Yes you guessed right, your everyday A4 or 3 series driver with their fake leather, less focus on quality control/long term reliability and overall higher dollar-per-feature vehicles...yes the Germans are very astute in sprinkling here and there a wood or an alluminum trim to cover these disadvantages.

Why do you think Japanese are not making V-12 engines and hyper sport cars?? Because they are not able to?? Obviously not, it's because in their philosophy the potential commercial benefits are far outweighed by the development costs that need to be "spread" in regular production cars, making them less competitive.

When the Japanese build halo vehicles they do at way less cost than a German (or an Italian for that matter) equivalent.....Honda NSX, Mitsubishi 3000 GT, Toyota Supra, Nissan Skyline, Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA.

The Nissan GT-R was a hugely humiliating slap in the face of the Germans...anything coming from them with similar performance would cost no less than $200K....

I did stop drinking the German Kool-Aid 15 years ago and I did never look back....
Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 954 Likes on 517 Posts
Buicks are now German (the Sigma platform, I think, is Opel)....

So the Germans make a great car.

And my Subaru has had only one issue (A/C condenser) and it was replaced under warranty.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,873 Likes on 3,776 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Back to the original question "Is there still a wide margin in terms of long term reliability between BMW and Japanese cars?"

I did stop drinking the German Kool-Aid 15 years ago and I did never look back....
Interesting write up. Very thought provoking. Where did it come from?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes there is and is not trivial....however the German manufacturers are not terribly concerned with it because their typical target customer do not care about it (higher income, more focused on "trendy" rather than practical, durable or "under the hood technologically advanced", 3 years typical vehicle turnover, etc...)

There are very specific reasons why cars from Deutschland cannot compete on value with vehicles from Japan.

- Japanese superior logistic management (smaller German global footprint, higher labor cost, etc...)

- Japanese top manufacturers are one generation ahead in quality control (Toyota TQM anyone??)

- Higher advertisement and "media involvement" costs and R&D costs for the "my penis is longer than yours" German top models (Bugatti is an egregious example)....guess who pays for the development cost of these?? Yes you guessed right, your everyday A4 or 3 series driver with their fake leather, less focus on quality control/long term reliability and overall higher dollar-per-feature vehicles...yes the Germans are very astute in sprinkling here and there a wood or an alluminum trim to cover these disadvantages.

Why do you think Japanese are not making V-12 engines and hyper sport cars?? Because they are not able to?? Obviously not, it's because in their philosophy the potential commercial benefits are far outweighed by the development costs that need to be "spread" in regular production cars, making them less competitive.

When the Japanese build halo vehicles they do at way less cost than a German (or an Italian for that matter) equivalent.....Honda NSX, Mitsubishi 3000 GT, Toyota Supra, Nissan Skyline, Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA.

The Nissan GT-R was a hugely humiliating slap in the face of the Germans...anything coming from them with similar performance would cost no less than $200K....

You are going to burn and burn hard for those outlandish and ridiculous comments. How dare you pee on the almighty European supremacy?!??

That being said, the Japanese have taken a few black eyes lately...Does that mean they are turning out crappy cars now...? Hmm.

I got your back. Good post.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

That evil Veyron!!!!

Good thing Honda got rid of the NSX...otherwise Civic buyers were gonna pay dearly for it
Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Zonda, Waldorf. Zonda.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Zonda, Waldorf. Zonda.
Who pays for the Zonda....Fiat drivers? That makes no sense.

Perhaps the Fiat drivers pay for the prancing pony...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Who pays for the Zonda....Fiat drivers? That makes no sense.

Perhaps the Fiat drivers pay for the prancing pony...
But, Fiat drivers certainly don't ante up for the Veyron!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

But, Fiat drivers certainly don't ante up for the Veyron!
They can't it's German....they have to pay for the Italian supercars.

Those evil supercars that kill reliability and value for the rest of the car makers.

Somebody has to pay for the supercars...those suckers who buy BMW, MB, VW, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Skoda, Audi.

...and those poor VW brand buyers who are paying for the italian supercars by Lamborghini.....they've been duped!!!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Well, with Porsche being the exception, and to be serious again for a sec, I'd say the guy is more or less correct.

I generally do agree that "German manufacturers are not terribly concerned with it because their typical target customer do not care about it (higher income, more focused on "trendy" rather than practical, durable or "under the hood technologically advanced", 3 years typical vehicle turnover, etc...)"...
Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^ Well, with Porsche being the exception, and to be serious again for a sec, I'd say the guy is more or less correct.

I generally do agree that "German manufacturers are not terribly concerned with it because their typical target customer do not care about it (higher income, more focused on "trendy" rather than practical, durable or "under the hood technologically advanced", 3 years typical vehicle turnover, etc...)"...
IMHO his talk about how German car buyers are paying for the supercars is nonsense.

As if now Toyota buyers are paying for the LF-A.

Bottom line: If you push the edge of technology and performance, you sacrifice a bit of reliability....hence why supercars are not reliable.....but they are the best, most fantastic machines on the planet to drive.

If you want the best driving experience, you should not concern yourself with reliability.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

IMHO his talk about how German car buyers are paying for the supercars is nonsense.

Bottom line: If you push the edge of technology and performance, you sacrifice a bit of reliability....hence why supercars are not reliable.....but they are the best, most fantastic machines on the planet to drive.

If you want the best driving experience, you should not concern yourself with reliability.
Look at a comparison between the development costs of certain models and their profitability...but you need to know a little bit of math and accounting to do that...I suspect you do not work in manufacturing at managerial level....

I do not remember where I read the ridiculous amount of money VW was losing on every Veyron sold (only Piech stronghold on the VW board has kept the project going)....

Ask yourself why no supercar maker (except artisan body makers using someone else engines and components) has never survived in the long run as standalone entity.....Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Aston, etc... they all need "larger" shoulders....

Ignorance is a bliss.....

If you push the edge of technology and performance, you sacrifice a bit of reliability....
It seems to be not true for many Japanese supercars...or just high end models

That being said, the Japanese have taken a few black eyes lately...
Nobody is perfect......

Rest assured that if the LF-A doesn't cover its development cost, someone will pay....

Porsche has been very profitable because they ventured very successfully into almost mass market products (Boxster, Cayenne, Cayman) and their huge technical consulting business...

Another reason the German maufacturers cannot compete on value with the Japanese is the latter higher avergage corporate productivity, something anyone spending few minutes a week reading financial news know.....of course you do not find this information on Hot Wheels or Car & Driver....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-02-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

I dunno.

I thought I had a riot in an NSX that I test drove for nearly an hour a couple years back...and certainly, I cannot compare it to say a Zonda or F430...still, it was the single best driving experience I ever had to this date. And well, as far as I know, the NSX is darn easy to maintain and it is also reliable.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ The NSX is not cutting edge
Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

I get both....driving Japanese...no compromises....
Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

If you need a car to be crammed with all the latest gadgets to be to quote you, "the best driving experience"...Well, I completely disagree with you, sir.

Most cars, if you truly want to enjoy them, are driven with ALL the aids off to truly get the absolute feel of the vehicle. So, how is that cutting edge if you're disengaging the tech...?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

When it was introduced in 1990 it was...it did beat the crap out the Ferrari 348 on a track...and it still remembered by many as one of the best sport car ever built...

A treat for you, Ayrton Senna driving a NSX at the Suzuka racetrack....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAwJsOECGBU

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-02-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

If you need a car to be crammed with all the latest gadgets to be to quote you, "the best driving experience"...Well, I completely disagree with you, sir.

Most cars, if you truly want to enjoy them, are driven with ALL the aids off to truly get the absolute feel of the vehicle. So, how is that cutting edge if you're disengaging the tech...?
The question was about reliability.

The more you push the edge of tech/speed/handling the reliability gets sacrificed.

I'd argue that an Italia or 599 GTB is a fantastic driving experience even with "the help" turned on in any position on the wheel.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

If you need a car to be crammed ALL the aids off to truly get the absolute feel of the vehicle. So, how is that cutting edge if you're disengaging the tech...?
Totally agree...many 3 series enthusiast are all excited when they read how good handling their pet car has on the magazine tests....on a sunny track (baby ass smooth pavement) and with all electronics engaged....

Few years ago in our rainy Seattle one 3 series driver tried to keep my pace (I was still driving my old Maxima SE 6 speed) on a winding road full of nasty twists, couple of fishtail later he gave up.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-02-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

The more you push the edge of tech/speed/handling the reliability gets sacrificed.

I'd argue that an Italia or 599 GTB is a fantastic driving experience even with "the help" turned on in any position on the wheel.
Well, the 599/Italia had better be a great driving experience at that price.

I'd also expect it to clean my socks.

To your point, again, you were stating that a great driving experience could not be had without pushing technology. Well, I already gave you an example of a car that one could argue did not. Heck, the Ariel Atom...what the hey is in that car? Or Lotus Elise...? They are pretty bare if you ask me and are not crammed with as you call it, "cutting edge" stuff...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Banned

Again, not true with many (the vast majority) of Japanese products

Look at the extremely positive long term test for the Nissan GT-R on Motortrend...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ict/index.html

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-02-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

^ He's going to call it the ugliest thing ever. But, that's off-topic and not really about reliability.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,051 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Same lame excuse the Ferrari road and racing engineers told Montezemolo when took over as CEO 2 decades ago.

After berated the engineers who suggested that in a open meeting he challenged them to give him reliability and performance.

At the time Renault was the engine to beat in F1 and he was not please that a French V10 motor was not only more powerful than their V12 but also superior in reliability.

Today Ferrari road and race cars deliver incredible reliability and are at the top of their game performance wise.

Quick Reply: Is there still a wide margin in terms of reliability between BMW and Japanese cars?