Test drove the new G35 and I'll . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 04:39 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Test drove the new G35 and I'll . . .

. . keep my TLS.

Test drove the new G35 yesterday and while the acceleration was strong and smooth, it did not feel as good as the TLS's.

Other impressions were:

Nice body lines for the most part, but the backend looks a little like a Dodge Stratus. The frontend looks nice and I like the lights.

The inside was okay. Seemed a bit spartan to me. I really didn't care for the way they designed the instrument cluster. The front seats felt good with more support in the bottom part of the seat, but not on the upper part. I did not like the shifter as much either and the classic Infinity clock looked out of place in this car.

As for the rear seats, they were nice and had a neat reclining feature, but a bit cheap in how it was done. The rear leg room was much tighter than the TLS.

The trunk was noticably smaller and accessability was poor compared to the TLS. Not for people wanting to put anything of size back there. Some small luggage or a set of golf clubs.

The one I tested had the premium package which included several features that are standard on the TLS. A 200wt Bose system verses a 120wt is part of that package and I didn't get a chance to crank it up. However, it didn't sound like it was worth it . . . still a Bose.

I did notice that this car will be challenging for taller drivers, 6' and up. And the car was quiter riding than the TLS.

As for the drive itself, well I did run it through the gears in SS mode upto 90MPH and made some sharp turns and such. Braking did feel a bit better than the TLS. Could have been due to the lighter weight and better weight distribution. Cornering was also better, especially the turning radius.

Fit and finish looked a bit above the TLS and it was really noticable when closing the doors. It has that European feel to it when closing the door.

And as I noted in the beginning, accelleration was strong and smooth, but did not feel as fast as the TLS. The TLS certainly sounds faster because of the agressive engine sound, especially when VTEC kicks in. There was one feature I liked and that was the way the intake breather was done. The breather takes in air directly from the front grill. No radiator to pull air through or sucking up hot engine compartment air.

Overall I would say it was a Nissan trying to be an Audi or BMW. It had a little of each cars characteristics, but really didn't match up on those counts.
And for the price you shouldn't expect it too. About $3 more than the TLS and about $6-7K less verses a BMW or Audi.

Until the test drive I was seriously toying around with making a switch, but the G35 fell short in too many areas for what I want. I'm sure that there are some that will like it and I hope they enjoy it, but I'm sticking with my TLS.

RUF
Old 03-28-2002, 06:03 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Ruf, sorry bud but u got the wrong website, acu..-tl.com is where ur suppose 2 be writing this, J/K . Newayz, awesome review, I'm not 2 fond of the way the 4dr looks(think rounder cadillac CTS), but the coupe looks awesome and may considering getting 1.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:53 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by unsure
Hey Ruf, sorry bud but u got the wrong website, acu..-tl.com is where ur suppose 2 be writing this, J/K . Newayz, awesome review, I'm not 2 fond of the way the 4dr looks(think rounder cadillac CTS), but the coupe looks awesome and may considering getting 1.
This same would apply to the CLS. I'm just a 4-dr person because of family needs.

As for the coupe, it certainly looks cool and if the interior and performance is their it'll be a killer.

RUF
Old 03-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Atl/Mia reppin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that the ass on the G35 sedan looks totally out of place, and kinda disappointing. But then again, on the coupe it looks lovely. I test drove the G35 last week. I agree with you on most fronts, though I would say that you're exaggerating at the size of the trunk. Its by no means small, you can fit more than just a golf bag in it. The reclining rear seats are an interesting feature, I agree. Handling was definitely better than the TL and CL, as was braking (did 50-0mph on a turn). Yeah it does lack the sound of the vtec, but I love the rwd and the smoothness of its acceleration. Would I buy it? Probably not, but it definitely has peaked my interest for the G35 coupe with the 6spd.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Darth Chocolate

Dammit, I had one of those speical invitations to go test drive on Tuesday and I forgot all about it. I wanted to go for the drawing for a $200 gift certificate to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Looks like I didn't miss out too much. Nice review, RUF.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Instructor

anyone know what the quietest car was in 2002? I believe Car & Driver Magazine rated the TLS above everyone else....
Old 03-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

yup Silverbullet, C&D wrote that the TL-S was the quietest car they tested at 70mph in their 1/02 edition
Old 03-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
No way can't be!? Maybe the TL-P.. But I've been in Caddies, Lexus, and Mercedes have even quieter cars.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:21 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

No way can't be!? Maybe the TL-P.. But I've been in Caddies, Lexus, and Mercedes have even quieter cars
I'm pretty sure it was the TL-S that received this accolade. I've been in quite a few 5-series and Ls 400s and the TL-S is def. quite a quiet car, trust me, I was suprised 2 hear how quiet it was myself lol.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:46 AM
the last one alive

One of my friends bought this car last week. It's a pretty sweet ride, though I prefer my CL-S.

Once his car is broken in, I'll let you fellas know how his car stacks up to ours.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got to drive it too and I think it'll be a much better car w/ the 6 speed. And I don't know why, but the power is good and all, but there is no sudden rush like you get with the vtec. It's just too flat of a torgue curve.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm not that crazy over the sedan myself, have seen several on the road and the rear kills it.....the front is nice.

The sedan is getting good reviews, but as said above.....I think this car really needs the 6spd.

On the other hand, the G35 coupe is going to be awesome- looks great, 2 doors, 6spd, and more power than the 4 door.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Beltfed
I'm not that crazy over the sedan myself, have seen several on the road and the rear kills it.....the front is nice.

The sedan is getting good reviews, but as said above.....I think this car really needs the 6spd.

On the other hand, the G35 coupe is going to be awesome- looks great, 2 doors, 6spd, and more power than the 4 door.
Totally agree on the style, the rear lights setup is similar, but fits the coupe much better....