Suggestions please - $30k replacement (used or new) for a 3G TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:52 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by jhumbo
Why not?

I think the biggest problem would be getting a clean one in my price range, but if it was in that price point then I think I like it a lot. Perhaps I'll stick with my TL even longer so that I can find an IS350 AWD for $30k.

My biggest drawback with IS are that while I really like the looks, it is a 6 year old body style. Not too big a deal, but something I'm thinking about. I'd hate to pay big dollars and then be jealous of the newer body that comes out a year later. Also, I keep hearing that the back seat is tight. I haven't checked one out yet, but I don't have adults in the back seat, but kids. I think it should be okay. I prefer a smaller car to a bigger car, but I do need the option to seat adults in the back if needed as I sometimes drive customers to lunch.

Nice looking.

So what's the difference between the Passat and the CC? Passat is bigger I assume? Never heard of the CC before this thread.
You don't want your customers to be cramped in the back, do you? My family had both 3G TL and Lexus IS. I know it's smaller in the back. But if you don't mind a smaller car, go for it. It's a pretty good car, but I wouldn't sell a 3G TL to get one.

And you will probably have to wait at least 2-3 years to get 2011 Lexus IS350 AWD for $30k. And I'm sure Lexus will come out with a new generation pretty soon.

Google reviews for 2012 VW Passat, you should read up on it. The initial reviews are pretty good. I have no idea regarding CC, I don't see them on the road much so never cared to look it up.

Here's one review for the new Passat.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
The following users liked this post:
jhumbo (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Nice looking.

So what's the difference between the Passat and the CC? Passat is bigger I assume? Never heard of the CC before this thread.

The CC is based on the European Passat platform. It's (and I hate this term) a four door coupe - design. It's simply a gorgeous looking sedan. Great handling and performance as well. 2.0T and VR6 engines available and 4-motion as well.

The 2012 Passat is a new North America specific Passat. Built in the U.S. designed for the U.S. It's different than the European model.
Cheaper in price than the CC. 5 cyl, TDI, and VR6 engines available...no 4-motion only FWD.
jhumbo (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

CC

Passat
Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
You can easily find a clean low miles is250 awd for UNDER 30k

My father picked one up a little over a year ago loaded (no nav) and low miles for about 27k. Great car.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I testdrove a 250 IS AWD today.

I had never been in one before and was surprised how small it is. I had heard people say that over and over so I expected it to be smaller than my TL, but I hoped that it was just a tad smaller. The backseat is quite tight and not meant for more than 2 adults and those 2 adults better have short legs. This is not a dealbreaker for me, but something I need to consider.

Other thing that people have said several times is that it is slow. Since I've never felt the need for more power than what my 3.2 base TL has, I thought "Okay, so it's less horsepower, but it probably still has plenty of power since it is a little smaller and lighter." Well I was wrong there. It is a very big difference from the TL and would take some getting used to. I'm sure the 350 AWD is a huge difference, but the Lexus dealer didn't have any 350's on his lot at the time. It also adds to the price tag and will probably make it much harder for me to find one in my price range without sacrificing on the miles/years too much.

But it is a very smooth and quiet ride and handles very well (for my taste at least). And I think it looks very sharp.

Here are my adjusted lists...

Possible contendors in order of preference as of today:
  • Just keep on driving my existing 2004 Acura TL and forget about replacing it for a while longer. (This is becoming a more attractive solution.)
  • Kia Optima SX Turbo. (Test drove and liked it a lot.)
  • Used Lexus IS350 AWD (might be too expensive).
  • Nissan Maxima
  • Used Infinity G37x
  • Acura TSX
  • Mazda 6
  • Lexus IS 250 AWD (slow, small)
  • Subaru Legacy AWD V6
  • VW CC
  • Ford Fusion (maybe Taurus?)

Cars that have been suggested that I don't like.
  • BMW 328xi
  • Dodge Charger
  • Hyundai Sonata Turbo (test drove and did not like, Optima is much better for similar price and caliber vehicle)
  • Honda Accord
  • VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition

Thanks much to all of you for your suggestions. I do appreciate them and will probably be test driving more of your suggestions as time permits over the next several months. I very well may do nothing for a while since nothing is really screaming "Buy me! Buy me!" at this point... and I still love my TL.

Last edited by jhumbo; 07-06-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Keep an eye open on used cars in your area, and if one pops up that really catches your eye, get it. If nothing is wrong with your TL, keep driving it a while longer. My dad and I are played that game with my TL earlier this spring. Ultimately decided to just do the maintenance and keep it for another year or so until I leave for school.

I really am curious about the Optima...sounds like a solid ride. Another member on here got one recently and seems to enjoy it.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
There should be great deals on Mazda6 V6.

jhumbo (07-09-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just keep on driving my existing 2004 Acura TL and forget about replacing it for a while longer. (This is becoming a more attractive solution.)
This is the smart move especially if your 04 is in good shape.

Looks like you will be putting plenty miles on anything you buy. Keep your car should decide to buy something. It will help keep the miles down on the new one.

Here are two that will arrive later this year:

2012 Kia Cadenza which is already sold in other countries

2012 Hyundai Azera

Both will be available in and under your price range with similar size to your current TL. Both will come with a v6. Expect both to have a hybrid variant by 2013.

Both will come with the Hyundai's best in class warranty.

Last edited by DeMAN; 07-09-2011 at 05:01 PM.
jhumbo (07-09-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm a big fn of Mazdas (2007 Mazda6, 2007 Mazdaspeed3), so I recommend you consider the 2010/11 V6 Mazda6. Quality is very good and the car has a sporty, yet comfortable suspension. Mazda is always pushing these cars with extremely low or even 0% financing.
jhumbo (07-09-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 997 Likes on 535 Posts
OP: Subaru does not make a V6. You mean the Legacy 3.0, an H6 Boxer motor..... I drove one last summer. Nice power throughout the rev range, up to 6500 rpm. And can be had well equipped, brand new at $30K or less.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Out of the options you listed I would go with the G37x.

Here is the one issue I have with that....you drive 25K miles a year and the G37x is not the most fuel efficient car. Depending on driving habits you will probably average in the low 20's mpg on premium.

My recommendation is if you liked the 04 TL then why not get an 08 TL to replace it? If you just want a change then I like some of the options that was already mentioned....V6 TSX, CC, and the Sonata.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

I test drove a V6 TSX last week. It actually fared much better than I had expected. Lots of power, handled nicely and a very familiar feel. It is an awful lot like my TL. Thing is it quite pricey for a car that seems like a slight downgrade from what I currently drive. And I can't believe it doesn't have LED taillights. That said, it should be a solid contendor on my list.

At this point, I think I've pretty much decided not to bother with the idea of replacing my car. Everything I've considered seems like a downgrade or requires me to go too old or high mileage for my comfort. I'll stick with my car for a few more years.

Anyway, here are my adjusted lists...

• Just keep on driving my existing 2004 Acura TL and forget about replacing it for a while longer. (I think I'm settling on this plan for the time being.)
  • Kia Optima SX Turbo. (Test drove and liked it a lot.)
  • New or gently used Acura TSX. (Test drove and liked it.)
  • Used Lexus IS350 AWD (might be too expensive).
  • Nissan Maxima
  • Used Infinity G37x
  • Mazda 6
  • Subaru Legacy AWD 3.0 H6
  • VW CC
  • Ford Fusion (maybe Taurus?)

• Lexus IS 250 AWD (slow, small)
  • BMW 328xi
  • Dodge Charger
  • Hyundai Sonata Turbo (test drove and did not like, Optima is much better for similar price and caliber vehicle)
  • Honda Accord

I'm sure I'll keep test driving some of the remaining cars, but I'm in no rush. My TL will probably stay for a while longer.

Last edited by jhumbo; 08-01-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Optima Turbo
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
you test drove 2010 or 2011 TSX V6?. as 2011 is 5% more aerodynamic (for already top of the aerodynamics) and front glass is even thicker than 4g TL. and side glass is equal to 4g TL. Steering takes 2.6 turns lock to lock. 3G TL is downgrade compared to MMC TSX.
I dont think you will find this kind of speed/fuel economy combination.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 AM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
have you test driven the updated 4g tl? it looks much better than the original 4g.

other than the v6 tsx, there isn't a single car that comes close to the old 3g tl price which doesn't seem like a downgrade imo. as nice as the optima is, i just wouldn't be to comfortable moving from entry level luxury to just an ordinary family sedan, especially a kia (even though it is very attractive and well equipped). nothing against kia, as i do like the direction they are heading.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
Mazda6 or used C300 (I saw a few around 30k)

I also really like the CC but if its not your cup of tea I get it.

TSX you can still do subtle mods to stand out like the honda rebadge etc etc

Used 4G TL's are real nice and can be had for very close to 30k, maybe @30 with negotiations.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 2011 dodge charger SE V6 as a rental 2 weeks ago in chicago and drove it back home to indiana about 90 miles south of there. I drove the car all over that weekend as we went fishing up in michigan. Let me say that very well may be my next new car. I loved that car. Its rated at 28mpg and I consistantly over 700 miles got 31mpg hwy and averaged around 27 total. It had decent power (296hp) and the interior was very nice IMO for a dodge. I would go test drive one. Just my opinion.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
you test drove 2010 or 2011 TSX V6?. as 2011 is 5% more aerodynamic (for already top of the aerodynamics) and front glass is even thicker than 4g TL. and side glass is equal to 4g TL. Steering takes 2.6 turns lock to lock. 3G TL is downgrade compared to MMC TSX.
I dont think you will find this kind of speed/fuel economy combination.
2011. To me at least, the only reason the TSX would feel like an upgrade over my 3G TL is the nav and that is primarily because it is 7 years newer and they improved the voice recognition. Otherwise, the car seems very much on par with what I currently have, but with hard plastics and other materials that make it feel more like... an Optima I'm okay with that, just depends on the price.

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Optima Turbo
but I'm still uncomfortable with Kia. I tend to keep my cars for the long haul and want something that can last to 150k-200k with few issues.

Originally Posted by honda_nut
have you test driven the updated 4g tl? it looks much better than the original 4g.

other than the v6 tsx, there isn't a single car that comes close to the old 3g tl price which doesn't seem like a downgrade imo. as nice as the optima is, i just wouldn't be to comfortable moving from entry level luxury to just an ordinary family sedan, especially a kia (even though it is very attractive and well equipped). nothing against kia, as i do like the direction they are heading.
No, not the updated 4G. I had a SH-AWD loaner that was probably a 2010. The car just feels much too big for me. Nice car though!

Originally Posted by Moose Muscles
Mazda6 or used C300 (I saw a few around 30k)

I also really like the CC but if its not your cup of tea I get it.
Mazda6 I'll have to check out. Something about it just looks too cheap. It's got some young fresh styling that I actually like, but at the same time it just looks like an entry-level car for some reason. Seems like something a teenager would be driving to high school. I haven't ruled it out though.

C300... meh too old man. CC I sorta like. Sharp car, but it's got a long look to it that doesn't quite appeal to me. I may check it out if I get a chance.

Originally Posted by Fireguy0826
I had a 2011 dodge charger SE V6 as a rental 2 weeks ago in chicago and drove it back home to indiana about 90 miles south of there. I drove the car all over that weekend as we went fishing up in michigan. Let me say that very well may be my next new car. I loved that car. Its rated at 28mpg and I consistantly over 700 miles got 31mpg hwy and averaged around 27 total. It had decent power (296hp) and the interior was very nice IMO for a dodge. I would go test drive one. Just my opinion.
I like the Charger, but I just can't do Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. I do not trust them for the long haul. Only domestic I'm willing to trust is Ford.

Again, thanks all for all of your input.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
2011. To me at least, the only reason the TSX would feel like an upgrade over my 3G TL is the nav and that is primarily because it is 7 years newer and they improved the voice recognition. Otherwise, the car seems very much on par with what I currently have, but with hard plastics and other materials that make it feel more like... an Optima I'm okay with that, just depends on the price.

I dont think it is navigation only. It is whole sound & heat insulation. active sound control mechanism. stability and handling at high speed. ELS stereo. The seats are much better with contrast stitching.
have u taken fast U-turn on 2G TSX and compare it with 3G TL/1G TSX. the later cars swing wide even on smaller 17inch rim.. car companies put turning radius but they dont say at what speeds.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
I would suggest a mazda speed 6 but your highway mileage requirement is killing that off. Which is ultimately the reason I didn't get it, but I'm really wishing I would have just signed on the line.

Lost my chance at a 2006 Black Cherry Mica Speed6 with 19k on the odometer, Talked the dealer down to 16,200 and giving me 9k trade in blind on my TSX with no AC. I'm such an idiot for not taking that rare beauty/beast combo. I slept on it for 3 days and it was gone. Dealer had it for a total of 9 days before it sold.

Good luck with your search
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

It's been a year and a half since I created this thread and I'm still driving my TL. After my last post in August of 2011, I made the decision to forget about replacing it and I dumped some money into the TL: new suspension, new tires, new brakes. I'm very pleased with my decision and still love my car and I'm still confused about what I would replace it with. I'm at 185k and I'll probably just keep driving it unless something changes.

However, I wanted to come into this thread and update my lists because over the past year and a half, two other cars have caught my attention: the new Volvo S60 and the new Ford Fusion...

Possible contenders in order of preference as of today. Still would like to test drive many of these:
  • Kia Optima SX Turbo. (Test drove and liked it a lot. Not sure if I trust Kia or a turbo for long-term reliability to 200k miles.)
  • Used Lexus IS350 AWD. (Test drove and loved it! Design is getting to be a bit old though, but still handsome. I trust Lexus.)
  • New or gently used Acura TSX. (Test drove and liked it. Styling just doesn't do it for me though. I trust Acura.)
  • Used Volvo S60
  • Ford Fusion
  • Nissan Maxima
  • Used Infinity G37x
  • VW CC

• Lexus IS 250 AWD (slow, small). The upcoming 2013 IS sounds awesome, but will probably be out of my price range.
  • Mazda 6 (Test drove and was not impressed. Highway mileage is pretty lame too.)
  • BMW 328xi
  • Dodge Charger
  • Honda Accord

I'm sure I'll keep test driving some of the remaining cars, but I'm in no rush. My TL will probably stay for a while longer.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by jhumbo; 12-07-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Keep the TL, buy a sports car. Insurance for two cars isn't much more.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What charliemike said. Buy an S2000 or Miata or something with a manual to have fun with, keep your TL until it dies. You obviously love the TL to drive it as long as you have.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Love the suggestion and wish I could! But a sport car would rarely get driven and would just be a waste. Need a sedan for work (sometimes take customers to lunch) and also have two small kids that I need to be able to pick up on a whims notice.

The only issue I have keeping the TL is that I don't want to get stranded with it. As it ages, I fear it could leave me stuck. I drive all over the midwest and don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere Indiana. Should be fine for now, but the risk gradually increases with time.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I just got a practically new Genesis sedan with 16k miles on it for just $25k and it is a fantastic car IMO. Feels very well built and I have no doubt that it could do 200k miles given proper maintenance and TLC...
jhumbo (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I just got a practically new Genesis sedan with 16k miles on it for just $25k and it is a fantastic car IMO. Feels very well built and I have no doubt that it could do 200k miles given proper maintenance and TLC...
No doubt. For $30k I would think you could get a 2011 with the eight speed auto and decent miles.

Whomever it is with the dad already doing 110k in the Genesis sedan says a lot about the car.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
^ That would be Fatty.

Glad to see you're still enjoying the TL. Sounds like you're enjoying it just fine and still have $30k in the bank.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Didnt know genesis could be had for that price. +1 for genesis!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Arent those $35k base? That's horrible depreciation. OP go get an 05 G-wagen.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Hmmm... perhaps I need to add the Genesis to my list. Looks a bit old man and might be a bit large and heavy for my taste, but I've definitely heard enough positive about it that its worth a test drive. A gently used one in the $25k - $30k range sound like a fabulous value!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
It's been a year and a half since I created this thread and I'm still driving my TL. After my last post in August of 2011, I made the decision to forget about replacing it and I dumped some money into the TL: new suspension, new tires, new brakes. I'm very pleased with my decision and still love my car and I'm still confused about what I would replace it with. I'm at 185k and I'll probably just keep driving it unless something changes.

However, I wanted to come into this thread and update my lists because over the past year and a half, two other cars have caught my attention: the new Volvo S60 and the new Ford Fusion...

Possible contenders in order of preference as of today. Still would like to test drive many of these:
  • Kia Optima SX Turbo. (Test drove and liked it a lot. Not sure if I trust Kia or a turbo for long-term reliability to 200k miles.)
  • Used Lexus IS350 AWD. (Test drove and loved it! Design is getting to be a bit old though, but still handsome. I trust Lexus.)
  • New or gently used Acura TSX. (Test drove and liked it. Styling just doesn't do it for me though. I trust Acura.)
  • Used Volvo S60
  • Ford Fusion
  • Nissan Maxima
  • Used Infinity G37x
  • VW CC

• Lexus IS 250 AWD (slow, small). The upcoming 2013 IS sounds awesome, but will probably be out of my price range.
  • Mazda 6 (Test drove and was not impressed. Highway mileage is pretty lame too.)
  • BMW 328xi
  • Dodge Charger
  • Honda Accord

I'm sure I'll keep test driving some of the remaining cars, but I'm in no rush. My TL will probably stay for a while longer.
I think the two in bold are worthy of consideration but, your choice. Anything in particular you don't like about these two? ....particularly as both represent probably the best of their respective brands.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Well, both are in their new generations since that post was made.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

....that would make the 9G Accord a fairly short lived generation, seeing as the quoted post was made less than 24 hrs ago.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Originally Posted by F23A4
  • BMW 328xi
  • Dodge Charger
  • Honda Accord
I think the two in bold are worthy of consideration but, your choice. Anything in particular you don't like about these two? ....particularly as both represent probably the best of their respective brands.
Originally Posted by Aman
Well, both are in their new generations since that post was made.
Aman is right, when I first made the list I ruled those out. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Regarding a 328x, to get one in my price range it would be a few years old with a decent number of miles. Normally that might be okay, but with BWM I fear the high price of repairs. (I've seen both my brother-in-law and my brother spend exorbitant amounts of money on repairs to their BMWs.)

As for the Accord, I really did not like the previous generation, but the new one looks like Honda has made some good improvements. I'll have to give it a closer look.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Dude, the Genesis is fantastic! Best car you can get for $25k in my opinion...
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Aman is right, when I first made the list I ruled those out. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Regarding a 328x, to get one in my price range it would be a few years old with a decent number of miles. Normally that might be okay, but with BWM I fear the high price of repairs. (I've seen both my brother-in-law and my brother spend exorbitant amounts of money on repairs to their BMWs.)

As for the Accord, I really did not like the previous generation, but the new one looks like Honda has made some good improvements. I'll have to give it a closer look.
Is the E90/E92 trouble prone? (serious question) I've heard some horror stories with the 335i but the NA 328i I've not heard much.

Regarding the Accord, you should give it a look. It seems as though Honda seriously improved on the 8G.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
After all this time, yeah the Accord is finally worth a serious look again. Honda/Acura is still your best bet to get to 150K miles with minimum fuss, but a bit boring.

Is the E90/E92 trouble prone? (serious question) I've heard some horror stories with the 335i but the NA 328i I've not heard much.
In its 6th year, 70000 mile, mine still has original front brakes and battery. I spent 50$ on an ignition coil pack and 850$ on new shocks (roads are terrible here). Now it needs a new head cover gasket.... about 6-700$ (labor intensive). Still within the budgeted 1800$/yr and repair/maintenance since out of warranty (May 2010).
The following 2 users liked this post by Saintor:
F23A4 (12-09-2012), jhumbo (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you could get a toyota . they would most likely surpass the 200k mark.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
maybe take a look at the chevy volt?

Quick Reply: Suggestions please - $30k replacement (used or new) for a 3G TL