stupid CBS Sunday morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:21 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stupid CBS Sunday morning

they had this chick on there wanting us to boycott buying gas the weekend before 4th of July on Friday,Saturday and Sunday. She claimed by doing this will help show the oil companies that we're "not gonna take their B.S." there's a couple things she forgot #1. okay if everyone doesn't fill up on Friday,Sat or sunday before 4th of July they'll fill up on Thurs and Monday so what's the point?
#2. 4th of July weekend is a busy weekend on the roads. so when you sit in traffic you burn gas.
she suggested to sit home or walk where ever your going. get real.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:25 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Yeah, that 3 days of no gas selling is totally going to ruin the oil companies... Its a fight you cant win, sometime or another you will NEED to fill up your car, theres no getting around it unless your car runs on water...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
with your point Water-S, especially as that woman's suggestion is an extremely short term measure.

But IMHO, people should use mass transit when commuting to work/school as much as reasonably possible. (I spend more time riding commuter rail than driving each of my cars combined, per week.) For me, the observable result of rising gas prices is that my trains tend to be more crowded than 6 months ago.

Admittedly, it is easy for me to ride mass transit as the public transportation infrastructure is pretty extensive here in NJ (NJ Transit, or MTA/NY Waterway when commuting to/in the city).
Old 05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Admittedly, it is easy for me to ride mass transit as the public transportation infrastructure is pretty extensive here in NJ (NJ Transit, or MTA/NY Waterway when commuting to/in the city).
Our transit system in Toronto is no where as good as the one you have in NY/NJ. I can't believe Toronto is actually rated as one of the "world city".
Old 05-07-2006, 11:06 AM
go like hell

we don't have public transportation. so unless you like running or walking long distances you either order shit online or you go and get the items.
like the closet Meijer(which is like a super wal-mart)(i don't go to wal-mart due to how they treat america). is like 1/2 hour away by car, the nearest movie theater is about the same 1/2 hour by car. so you figure you're in like NYC marathon condition you can figure 4-5 hours of solid running just to pick up groceries. and good luck carry all that crap home and running.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Living in NJ, I am nearly equadistant between the #1 and #5 on the list of the best US cities prepared for an oil crisis.

That said, NJ Transit (the state's primary transit agency) is setup as an urban hub system where, going city-to-city or suburb-to-city is relatively easy. However, going suburb-to-suburb can be a logistical challenge and typically involves hitting a major NJ city in order to reach another suburb (particularly with regard to rail travel; buses work out a bit better, if not longish in travel time and indirect in routing.)

IMHO, we all need to be as conservative as reasonably possible when it comes to our gas consumption.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4

IMHO, we all need to be as conservative as reasonably possible when it comes to our gas consumption.
That means no unnecessary SUV's. If people need one for towing/hauling, fine. But it's the soccer moms in giant SUV's that are eating the gas the fastest with their many short trips, and the guys that commute to work in a Yukon XL when they're the only person in the vehicle.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
That means no unnecessary SUV's. If people need one for towing/hauling, fine. But it's the soccer moms in giant SUV's that are eating the gas the fastest with their many short trips, and the guys that commute to work in a Yukon XL when they're the only person in the vehicle.
Thats 1/2 of the problem right there...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:26 PM
go like hell

yeah but people are "hooked on" big cars. not only cause America(no offence) we're big people but also we've rolled in big cars for awhile. so trying to get us(as a nation) to quit now is like trying to get people off crack. i'm not saying it's impossible but when they're used to these big cars it's hard to break bad habits man.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Water-S
yeah but people are "hooked on" big cars. not only cause America(no offence) we're big people but also we've rolled in big cars for awhile. so trying to get us(as a nation) to quit now is like trying to get people off crack. i'm not saying it's impossible but when they're used to these big cars it's hard to break bad habits man.
I know. My best friend's mom still believes SUV's are the safest vehicles on the road. I think that's a load of shit. I saw the remnants of a rollover on Thursday near my work when I was going for lunch. The Jeep Grand Cherokee went up over the hood of a Plymouth Laser, and that was enough to tip the Cherokee over. They were cutting the lady out with the Jaws of life. The laser owner was standing on the side of the road holding her baby. Had her car been taller, she might have been smushed.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:12 AM
go like hell

I know. My best friend's mom still believes SUV's are the safest vehicles on the road. I think that's a load of shit. I saw the remnants of a rollover on Thursday near my work when I was going for lunch. The Jeep Grand Cherokee went up over the hood of a Plymouth Laser, and that was enough to tip the Cherokee over. They were cutting the lady out with the Jaws of life. The laser owner was standing on the side of the road holding her baby. Had her car been taller, she might have been smushed.
I work with a guy at work he's had a Ford Explorer every since the early 90's he trades every 2-3 years. He said even though gas is high and his mileage is low(he has 4.6 liter v-8 in his newest Explorer) he won't trade for something smaller due to he believes if he's in an accident with a Semi he's less likely to be killed . I told him 1st off the odd him walking away from an accident with a loaded semi(it doesn't matter if the trucker at fault or he's at fault) is slim to none. due to the fact of the weight of the semi. a legally loaded semi weighs 40 Ton.(that's legal but where i work I've seen illegals around 45 ton) I don't care if you're in a H1 40 ton will crush you like a pancake. second thing is burning all that gas just incase your in a accident with a semi is stupid as hell. it's like buying a SL 65 AMG in case you ever want to drag race John Force. sure it sounds cool but the odds of it happening slim to none. 3rd of all insurance on a SUV vs a sedan is higher. get sedan and with the money you saved from the insurance difference take the family on a nice vacation.