A stereotype dispelled

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A stereotype dispelled

I test drove the 2010 Audi Q7 today and I must admit that I was really impressed. Until today, I believed Japanese car manufacturers were generally ahead of the European manufactures in reliability and electronic gadgetry. Well, I still believe Japanase cars are more reliable than European cars, however the electronic gizmos in the Q7 have the RL and Lexus GS beat.

The Audi blue tooth allows direct access to the directory that's programmed into the phone. You're not limited to 50 pre-programmed voice entries. The blind spot recognition technology (I believe first introduced by Volvo a couple of years ago) is a great feature for those who don't know how to properly set the sideview mirrors (99%+ of the driving population). Also, the rearview camera trajectory lines are pretty slick (for those who need help parking and driving in reverse). I believe Infiniti has had this for a few years. The MMI is a more comprehensive and a bit more intuitive (IMHO) than the RL's control system.

I didn't verify my assumption that these features are available in other Audis. But assuming they are, Audi has Acura beat in the gizmo department.

Admittedly, some of the features are designed to compensate for drivers who aren't sharp on basic driving fundamentals. But for folks who need the help, those are nice features to have.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I've driven one, too, and was also impressed with the gadgets and functionality.

Just like the RL, the Q7 is for old farts. There's your stereotype, haha.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Michigan Wolverines Fan

Ballinger is on fire lately...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Cruisin'

At what age does one become an old fart? Is the old fart age in SoCal the same as the rest of the U.S.??
Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Michigan Wolverines Fan

just don't get started on a fuel mileage comparison between the Q7 and the RL...
Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Gadgets are important and the more there are - the better, IMO.
However, how good is a "gadget" that does not work half of the time.

Don't get me wrong, i love Audis. I had 2 of them. When everything was working, the car was 2 steps ahead of everyone else on the road, - gadgets, engine, quattro system, safety, etc... Too bad, there was also always something wrong that needed attention or repair when the car went over 70k miles. I do not want to deal with this constant wondering if all my "toys" would work and if i am going to get another 'check engine' light, or 'ABS' light, or fuel pump issue, or suspension noise, ...etc, etc. When brand new, these German cars are a miracle and example of modern engineering. Give them 3-4 yrs of real use, let the warranty expire, put 60-70k miles on them and you'll smile a lot less when driving them.

Time will only show how my 06 RL will compare, but so far, i am willing to bet that it will age a lot better, even with a few extra toys than the Q7.
Plus, comparing a brand new Q7 with the latest toys in it, to a 2005 designed RL is not really fair comparison. What was the sticker price on the Q7 with all these cool toys??
Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Agree

I also owned 2 Audi's, the second one being the S4. After 70K, the only thing I could count on working was the check engine light. The car was an absolute blast to drive, but the huge service costs ($6K in the last 2 years of ownership) ended the fun factor.

After that experience, reliability was tops on my list. I had been checking out the RL for years, but didn't like the look of the 1G RL's. Too bland. After seeing the second generation styling, the RL was the perfect choice. After 2.5 years of ownership, no regrets.

I think the top of the line Q7 goes for about 65K, so the comparison to any year 2G RL is a stretch to say the least.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Apple & orange comparison. The 2nd gen RL was introduced in late 04’s compared to a brand new Audi Q7. In 5 years, I would suspect a vast improvement in automobile technology, however I am still thoroughly impress with RL offering vs. its current counterparts.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ballinger
I've driven one, too, and was also impressed with the gadgets and functionality.

Just like the RL, the Q7 is for old farts. There's your stereotype, haha.
I'm 22 and an RL driver...

There's no other car out there this feature rich for what I paid for it (18,500 @ 43,000 mi)
Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never seen another young female RL driver. I usually make a jackass of myself waving at other RL owners, who I think for the most part are oblivious to the fact we drive the same car.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bugeye
I've never seen another young female RL driver. I usually make a jackass of myself waving at other RL owners, who I think for the most part are oblivious to the fact we drive the same car.
It's hard enough to spot another RL at all.

Acura- great engineering and shit marketing since 2004.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Pro

With the cost of repairs, reliability is SUPER high on my list, more than ever. Acura all the way.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Had an Audi 5000 turbo years back that caught on fire from the airbox being above the turbo. ;( Nice smooth car otherwise till the trans went out and I just gave up on it. Friends recently traded in his newer A6 (2006?) for an Accord due to reliability issues. His first Quattro from years ago was reliable so go figure. Read good reviews on the current lineup but never are the major magazines concerned about reliability as their cars are loaners.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhlieu
Apple & orange comparison. The 2nd gen RL was introduced in late 04’s compared to a brand new Audi Q7. In 5 years, I would suspect a vast improvement in automobile technology, however I am still thoroughly impress with RL offering vs. its current counterparts.

I drove a brandy new A6 TDI to Berlin on my trip last month. I have to say it was very nice. It was the 1st car I have been in that made me think for a possible replacement for my RL. Of all the German brands, I like the Audi interiors the best. Still it does not have the timeless artful feel of the RL interior.

That said, I did not feel it was a significant advancement over the RL which has 5+ years on the tooth. I was also considering them as peers in price and market segment (although the Audi with options will exceed and RL). And even the German associate I was driving with said 'be sure to have a warranty!'. Well, I feel that way with the RL too (extended warranty) but still have greater confidence in Honda reliability. Audi will have to show 3 or more years of consistent reliability ratings before I would be swayed. Still, and A6 or A5 have style, features, AWD and a maturity factor I find waning in Acura.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy cows! A woman (with exceptional taste ) among us? Unheard of, I won't believe this until i see a picture!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

Holy cows! A woman (with exceptional taste ) among us? Unheard of, I won't believe this until i see a picture!

Don't be fooled. This girl appears to be from Gainesville, which means she is likely a Gator. All Florida fans are going to be black and blue after what my Vols do to them September 19th!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Belongs in Car Talk. Moving.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Japanese car makers are better in the sense that if you compare a 328 to a TL and a 528 to an RL. You get more features for less money, however there is a limit.

Japanese manuf. don't offer a lot of the ammenities that german cars offer, like ACC, Blindspot Detection, Collision warning, Alcantra trim, extended wood/alum. trim, leather choices, etc.

Just as a comparision, the new 7 series ACC camera can read speed limit signs and show the speed limit on your HUD so you are aware of it any time you need it. No japanese car maker even offers ACC with a camera, just the chunk of plastic in the grille!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

The sticker on the Q7 I drove was $71k. However, it was the top of the line V8 model. If you don't get the V8 model with the luxury package, panoramic roof, and other frivolous options, you can get the Q7 for much less. I believe the base Q7 starts at somewhere around $48k. All that being said, I readily admit that comparing the Q7 to the RL is apples and oranges. The more relevant comparison would be between an A6 (with the same bells and whistles as the Q7 I drove) to the RL.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
The sticker on the Q7 I drove was $71k. However, it was the top of the line V8 model...
Yap, this explains it all. It would be a real SHAME if a $70k+ luxury German car offered same or less toys compared to older generation, $50k RL.

A 'base' brand NEW Audi Q7 for $48k will offer a lot less than old '06 RL.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance

Just as a comparision, the new 7 series ACC camera can read speed limit signs and show the speed limit on your HUD so you are aware of it any time you need it. No japanese car maker even offers ACC with a camera, just the chunk of plastic in the grille!
Two Questions...

1. How much does this 7-series with all these fancy options costs?
Hint: A LOT! Of course it cannot be compared to RL or any other luxury car that costs a lot less (RL is only $50k and still offers the 'basic' ACC system, sh-awd, CMBS). Lets compare features/toys on similarly priced cars.....like BMW 530ix vs RL.

2. If we're going to use examples -- Does this same 7-series offer the same toys that a new Lexus LS600h offer, for example? AWD? Hybrid? True LED lights? Self Park? etc. No, it does not!
Do all these toys make the Lexus LS600h a better car than the BMW 7-series? Not really. Different toys for different needs.

Which car would be more reliable in the long run is a very different topic and my vote goes for the Lexus, based on all the statistics so far.

Every car maker who sells $100K cars will try to offer cool gadgets in order to create an image of uniqueness and exclusivity. All top luxury brands do it - Lexus, MB, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Infinity... etc etc.

Last edited by danmm7; 09-09-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search, I posted my picture in my intro thread in the Ramblings. Cross-posting it here might be off topic.

Originally Posted by Wii60
Don't be fooled. This girl appears to be from Gainesville, which means she is likely a Gator. All Florida fans are going to be black and blue after what my Vols do to them September 19th!
Tebow will chew you up and spit you out.

Go Gators!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by danmm7
Two Questions...

1. How much does this 7-series with all these fancy options costs?
Hint: A LOT! Of course it cannot be compared to RL or any other luxury car that costs a lot less (RL is only $50k and still offers the 'basic' ACC system, sh-awd, CMBS). Lets compare features/toys on similarly priced cars.....like BMW 530ix vs RL.

MSRP makes it fall around 142K with every single option... But what my point was that you can only compare apples to apples, a TL to a 328I without ACC, HUD an all the other stuff. Trying to say that the Q7 is better is an unfair comparision since Audi is offering a ton of more options and features than their japanese counterparts.

2. If we're going to use examples -- Does this same 7-series offer the same toys that a new Lexus LS600h offer, for example? AWD? Hybrid? True LED lights? Self Park? etc. No, it does not!

AWD -> yes, called X drive. Hybrid -> if you are buying a 7, there isn't a need for a hybrid. Buying one is pointless... Self Parking -> If you can't park your car, you shouldn't be driving.

Do all these toys make the Lexus LS600h a better car than the BMW 7-series? Not really. Different toys for different needs.

Yes, this is true, some prefer what the LS has to offer over the A8, S class and 7 Series.

Which car would be more reliable in the long run is a very different topic and my vote goes for the Lexus, based on all the statistics so far.

Every car maker who sells $100K cars will try to offer cool gadgets in order to create an image of uniqueness and exclusivity. All top luxury brands do it - Lexus, MB, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Infinity... etc etc.
but only 1 offers a refrigerator! BMW FTW!

Tebow will chew you up and spit you out.

Go Gators!
Go Gators!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I have a feeling this thread got moved from the bag of hammers forum.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Cool

Disagree! If i wanted to cook, eat & drink in my vehicle, i would buy a used RV, not a $140k BMW.
If i can't get RV - a nice Igloo cooler in the trunk of my RL will cost me $18 and get the job done with zero maintenance required! :P

Self Parking -> If you can't park your car, you shouldn't be driving.
Well, same goes for the fancy ..."the new 7 series ACC camera can read speed limit signs and show the speed limit on your HUD so you are aware of it any time you need it..." or the ACC or the Blind spot sensors, etc => If you can't follow the speed limits on your own and if you can't keep safe distance on your own, you shouldn't be driving!! Just my opinion.

Yet, everyone is willing to pay a pretty penny for all these gizmos!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by LiveNupe
The blind spot recognition technology (I believe first introduced by Volvo a couple of years ago) is a great feature for those who don't know how to properly set the sideview mirrors (99%+ of the driving population).
In defense of 99% of the population, 99% of cars seem to have their mirrors designed to look directly backwards instead of sideways. On most cars it looks weird if you angle them properly.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance

I believe you can get a mini-fridge in the Audi A8L, but not the regular A8 or the S8 model. It's located behind the center arm rest in the back seat.