Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Someone hit my car--I ain't even mad!

So about a year and a half ago I posted this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...se-you-904435/

Cliffs:
Woman backed into my car in a parking lot, left a note instead of taking off. OP is surprised there are people out there that still have morals.

Anyways, yesterday almost the exact same thing happens!

I was coming out of the same grocery store at the same time of night when I actually witnessed a woman backing into my car. She hit the exact same section of my rear bumper as the last woman did!

I guess if it's any consolation, the damage is very minimal -- a lot less than it was last time. I could actually hear her car making contact with mine, though... This is the best image I could get:

Name:  6da25e29-c0fd-44a0-9e2c-ffe0a3cf20b1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  162.9 KB

So with the exceptions of this being from a different person, different amount of damage (bumper may have to be replaced, though--just like before!) it was pretty much the exact same scenario! Pretty crazy, IMO. I ain't even mad... To be honest I was just :gheylaugh:'ing when the woman came up to me distraught, saying how sorry she was. For some reason I just can't get upset about this.

Another bit of irony is that in both cases I purposely parked at the far end of the lot, thinking my car would be safe.

So what do you guys think, should I switch grocery stores or what?

Oh and one more thing: She wrote her ins. info on the back of her shopping list. One of the items on the list was "Food." is this real life?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
You must shop in a nicer part of town.

Yes, might as well park closer to the entrance, or go to a different store.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
WOW, what kind of car is yours
Old 08-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Someone hit my car--I aint even mad!

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
The car magnet type
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Will Y.
You must shop in a nicer part of town.

Yes, might as well park closer to the entrance, or go to a different store.

Actually the area is kind of so-so. I guess I just got lucky in these two instances. Maybe won't be so lucky... next time?

and yeah it's interesting how if I park far away I get backed into. If I park closer up, inconsiderate maroons bash their shopping carts into my car, or hit their side doors against mine

2003 ABP CL-S. Just remembered the woman tried to justify it by saying "Well your car is so dark and all..."

Originally Posted by thoiboi
The car magnet type
I remember when I used to drive any pos with 4 wheels, I never had to deal with this crap. Once you buy a nicer car and take pride in it, it's as if people can sense it.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
nice!! I use to own a 03 ABP CL-S as well,was a sweet car but tranny went out in it lol. But I hear ya man I can go to the grocery store park in the middle of nowhere with not a soul around and come out and some asshole is parked right next to you. Like WTF is that about??
The following users liked this post:
Rapture (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Rapture
Actually the area is kind of so-so. I guess I just got lucky in these two instances. Maybe won't be so lucky... next time?
Then you need to go to a better neighborhood.... With better drivers.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Then you need to go to a better neighborhood.... With better drivers.

that way, you can sue for more money and you know they'd be good for it because they can afford a damn good insurance policy

Although Will better neighborhood doesn't necessarily mean better drivers... Some of the more affluent neighborhoods I've been in (read: Arcadia/626, Rowland Heights, or Irvine..) have some of the worst drivers in more expensive cars..
Old 08-11-2015, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

nice!! I use to own a 03 ABP CL-S as well,was a sweet car but tranny went out in it lol. But I hear ya man I can go to the grocery store park in the middle of nowhere with not a soul around and come out and some asshole is parked right next to you. Like WTF is that about??
I deal with that all the time. Not the transmission, other people parking right next to you. Do they not trust the painted lines closer to the building?

edit: btw yeah I've been meaning to move to a new neighborhood actually... really.

Last edited by Rapture; 08-11-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Man, hope insurance doesn't give you a hard time.

Have you tried grocery delivery? Walmart / Amazon Fresh, etc? They actually work surprisingly well!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tmux
Man, hope insurance doesn't give you a hard time.
Funny you mention it, 'cause they are Her insurance is Geico, they sure take their sweet fsckign time calling me. "You'll receive a call in 24 hours"

4 days later....
Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Registered but harmless

Her insurance is Geico, they sure take their sweet fsckign time calling me. "You'll receive a call in 24 hours"
4 days later....
A Geico-insured driver rear-ended my wife's minivan earlier this year. She called the next day; Geico called back within 24 hours, accepted responsibility for the insured and was going to set up the shop and rental car (we haven't brought the van in for repairs, as it's minor cosmetic damage and the claim is good for two years).

You really need to move to a better neighborhood.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

A Geico-insured driver rear-ended my wife's minivan earlier this year. She called the next day; Geico called back within 24 hours, accepted responsibility for the insured and was going to set up the shop and rental car (we haven't brought the van in for repairs, as it's minor cosmetic damage and the claim is good for two years).

You really need to move to a better neighborhood.
Really? I just got off the phone with Geico and they were insisting on me driving out somewhere to meet with an adjuster because the adjuster does not want to come to my preferred body shop.

Sorry broseph, you hit my car. I shouldn't be more inconvenienced with this. Not to mention they were trying to pull that crap where they want to pick the body shop, not I.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Registered but harmless

Really? I just got off the phone with Geico and they were insisting on me driving out somewhere to meet with an adjuster because the adjuster does not want to come to my preferred body shop.
Where the heck are you located?

I'm in West Los Angeles, so most adjusters will go to the body shop you choose, their preferred shops or come to the car.

Some companies here do have centers or offices where you can meet with an adjuster if the car is drivable. I did that for Farmers on a holiday after its insured hit the TL-- it was less than 8 miles away, and the body shop I was going to use was closed that day.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
If you were in Chicago, those people would have been gone in a heart beat and left no note. I've seen people swipe into other peoples cars and speed away, 10+ times. As long as it gets fixed off someone elses dime. It's shitty, but always a good thing when the person who does it sticks around and admits it was their fault.
Rapture (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Where the heck are you located?

I'm in West Los Angeles, so most adjusters will go to the body shop you choose, their preferred shops or come to the car.

Some companies here do have centers or offices where you can meet with an adjuster if the car is drivable. I did that for Farmers on a holiday after its insured hit the TL-- it was less than 8 miles away, and the body shop I was going to use was closed that day.
I live in Portland, OR. It's funny because they wanted me to go to one of their body shops to meet with an adjuster, I told them I wanted to go to my preferred body shop (Kadel's Auto Body), gave the address, and she basically told me "We don't use that body shop... but we do use a different Kadel's location that's less than 2 miles from where you live!" Problem is that geographically it's 2 miles, but it's across the river. It's like a 15+ mile drive... Not to mention the body shop I want to use is about 10 minutes from the one they initially tried to set me up with.

and yeah my car is drivable, I just feel like being stubborn. "Sorry I hit your car; why don't you drive all the way down here and I'll take a look at it?" But all is good so far I gotta wait until Monday to hear from the adjuster about setting up an appointment to drive down here and look things over.

but it's odd because the last time this happened I didn't have to meet with an adjuster. I just took it to a body shop, got an estimate, had it repaired.

Originally Posted by mvp2765
If you were in Chicago, those people would have been gone in a heart beat and left no note. I've seen people swipe into other peoples cars and speed away, 10+ times. As long as it gets fixed off someone elses dime. It's shitty, but always a good thing when the person who does it sticks around and admits it was their fault.
I absolutely feel fortunate that in both instances the person stuck around. I've been hit before where the other person walks up, wipes their hand over the damage and says "Oh, you're fine..." then walks away. Of course I took down her license plate #... she was a teenager. Better neighborhood, etc. etc....

I remember seeing something on the internet awhile back where someone's car was hit in a parking lot and the offender left a note saying "I hit your car. Someone saw me do it so I'm pretending to leave a note with my insurance. Bye."
Old 08-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Save the headaches. Go to Geico adjuster. Take the check and go where ever you feel comfortable. Happened with my previous car. Got hit while it was parked. Good thing I was walking back and saw it. Long story short. They did a computerized adjustment on the repair. Gave me an option to take a check or take it to "their" shop. I took the check. Damage was adjusted to about $1500. I took it to my guys and had it taken cared of for about $800.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HenryNYC
Save the headaches. Go to Geico adjuster. Take the check and go where ever you feel comfortable. Happened with my previous car. Got hit while it was parked. Good thing I was walking back and saw it. Long story short. They did a computerized adjustment on the repair. Gave me an option to take a check or take it to "their" shop. I took the check. Damage was adjusted to about $1500. I took it to my guys and had it taken cared of for about $800.
Didja keep the leftover $700?

I just had a meeting with the adjuster today. He took care of it all and even told me he personally does business with the body shop I'm taking my car to. So I guess all is good.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

update: Finally got my car back yesterday. A few takeaways:

First, Geico is pretty shifty. When I dropped the car off at the body shop, got a rental, Geico told all parties involved they were going to cover everything. After I take the rental home Enterprise calls me and says Geico changed their minds and they refuse to pay for the rental. I get my ins. agent on the phone, she was thoroughly pissed and told me to call Geico, remind them they're legally obligated to do it--she told me in her experience they're notorious for this sort of thing. I called Geico and they played the "We have no idea what happened! We'll take care of it!" Mmhmm.

Got my car back yesterday, I was told by Enterprise to leave it at the body shop instead of bringing it back to the Enterprise office (then they drive me to the body shop) which is what they usually want. Anyways, drop the car off, get my car, go home. An hour and a half later I get a call from Enterprise and they gave me some crap saying they were going to charge me because I put so many miles on it and that I brought it back low on gas. I know for a fact I left it at the body shop with 1/2 a tank (exactly how much was in when I picked it up) but according to Enterprise, it was 1/4 full when they retrieved it. How 50% of the fuel magically disappeared is beyond me... They wound up charging me a whopping $8 for fuel, but I just got bent out of shape that they so obviously lied about how many miles I drove and how much fuel was left in the tank, just so they could squeeze some extra money out of me. Next time I'll take pictures

Conclusion: I actually am mad that someone hit me, now. Damage to my car can be fixed, it's these kinds of bullshit experiences I have to go through that get under my skin.

Last edited by Rapture; 09-26-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:42 AM
Safety Car

Wow. It happened AGAIN. Hit & run this time.

This isn't funny anymore
Old 07-10-2016, 01:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Wow. It happened AGAIN. Hit & run this time.

This isn't funny anymore
Maybe time to sell? I bet your carfax must look painful!

Seriously though, sorry to hear that man. I can't fricken stand fucking assholes who damage other people's property and run away.
Rapture (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 01:44 AM
Safety Car

Meh, I've had my CL for almost 8 years now, I really don't feel like selling This car surprisingly has been good to me all these years. Plus yeah I guarantee the history report would keep the price low enough to make me just want to hang on to it, anyways.

Also for what it's worth the grocery store said they have cameras set up (though I can't guarantee the clarity of the video..) but I do have a good idea of the car that probably did it. Black Cadillac Escalade. Didn't get a license # though..

It goes without saying I'm going to start parking WAY the fuck away from hereon out...
Old 07-10-2016, 02:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Meh, I've had my CL for almost 8 years now, I really don't feel like selling This car surprisingly has been good to me all these years. Plus yeah I guarantee the history report would keep the price low enough to make me just want to hang on to it, anyways.

Also for what it's worth the grocery store said they have cameras set up (though I can't guarantee the clarity of the video..) but I do have a good idea of the car that probably did it. Black Cadillac Escalade. Didn't get a license # though..

It goes without saying I'm going to start parking WAY the fuck away from hereon out...
I hear ya man, I wouldn't sell it after having it that long either. The profit is not worth it and cars suck these days.

I also park WAY THE FUCK AWAY. Then I come back out and for whatever reason some fuck comes and parks next to me. Literally 50 spots and what does this random fucker do? He/she parks right next to my car.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Obligatory move to a better neighborhood.

Or dashcams!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RDX10
I hear ya man, I wouldn't sell it after having it that long either. The profit is not worth it and cars suck these days.

I also park WAY THE FUCK AWAY. Then I come back out and for whatever reason some fuck comes and parks next to me. Literally 50 spots and what does this random fucker do? He/she parks right next to my car.
Yeah I hear that. Reminds me of a guy who had that happen to him and the guy left a nice dent in his door. Bastards..

Obligatory move to a better neighborhood.

Or dashcams!
Probably move to a better (more isolated) section of the parking lot And I've been thinking about getting a dashcam, but I don't know how well it would pick up a collision at the rear. Maybe load it up with as many cameras as possible!
Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

2 channel! One in front and one in the rear!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

2 channel! One in front and one in the rear!
i have been considering this option more and more myself. I think I am going with the dual channel front and rear cams on my next car
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
pics of the woman who hit it?