13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

So my van is a piece of crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
So my van is a piece of crap

I felt left out in this new car madness of late. Lucky for me I'm about to hit my mileage milestone on my company car and am eligible for a new one. However because it's a company car I have restrictions. My choices are Chevy impala/malibu/equinox. I'm pretty much set on equinox. However I want some opinions, the company will only spring for the base LS model which has IMO an interior that could be better. Any options above base would come out of my own pocket. Would you pony up to get the better interior/options?

Here's the breakdown:

LS has this interior, no option of color.

Upgraded LT Interior.

To give you an idea of the difference/cost between LS and LT here are the details:

LS Includes:
AC/Power windows/mirros/locks/Aux in/cruise, Bluetooth can be added for $345

LT at a cost of $1,730 Adds to the above:
Body colored heated mirrors, fog lights, roof rack rails, deep tinted windows, automatic a/c, block heater, premium cloth

LT + Vehicle Integration Package $2,440 above base LS:

All of the above plus, remote start, bluetooth, usb, leather steering wheel with audio controls.

Would you guys chip in any of the above amounts for these options? or just roll with the base ls? I would be driving the car for 3-4 years unless I left the company. Also I wouldn't get any of that cash back when the car is turned in.

Other question is what color do you dig?

Blue:

Black:

Charcoal

Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Blue LS gets my vote. I don't think you should pony up for the upgraded package because the company will be taking it back anyways, and doesn't sound like a smart decision financially. Besides, the base interior isn't so bad.

But that blue looks pretty damn good
Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
How many years will you have it? How much of your time do you spend in your vehicle for work and for commute? Do you feel you have a very stable position at this company? All of these would go into my decision about putting money into the vehicle. I mean if you are going to be driving it for the next 5 years and like 30k+ miles then personally I would not consider it a waste to have some conveniences in my vehicle even if they take it back eventually.

Color wise I also vote blue.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Loving the blue dude!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Blue!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
How many years will you have it? How much of your time do you spend in your vehicle for work and for commute? Do you feel you have a very stable position at this company? All of these would go into my decision about putting money into the vehicle. I mean if you are going to be driving it for the next 5 years and like 30k+ miles then personally I would not consider it a waste to have some conveniences in my vehicle even if they take it back eventually.

Color wise I also vote blue.
I would have it until I put 140,000Km on it, which at my current rate is about 3 years. My commute is an hour each way. Can be 2 if weather gets bad. When I'm out visiting customers my longest drive is about 3.5 hours each way. But I usually group a few together in a day to be more efficient. As for stability, who knows these days, I would like to think it's reasonably secure. That being said being the youngest person in the company I'm probably the most vulnerable. We have been performing very well during the recession though, just came off one of our best years ever.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Blue.

Since you're in Toronto, I assumed that there was some heavy weather at times and voted for the LT with block heater and heated mirrors.

Otherwise, in non-snow climates, I'd get the LS with Bluetooth.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I dunno, doesnt seem that great of options for the extra money you have to put in. I'd skip and just add bluetooth.

Looks nice in Blue.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Company car = no car expense, I would keep it that way. It's not like it's your car, I would just save the money you would have put into the transaction for when you are buying a car for yourself, then spend all the money it costs to get the car that you want.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue looks nice but i also like black. If you want to be unique then take blue. If not then black.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Will whatever money you put in be financed? Or will you have to pay it all up front to your company/the dealer? If it's all up front, I wouldn't bother with it, unless the fabric seats are much more comfortable and the block heater is a necessity sometimes. The light grey in the interior is a little off-putting but I don't think its too bad. Bluetooth would be quite useful for everyday use too, not just for contacting clients

If on the rare chance that your company will let you finance it, I might go with the upgraded features if I were you. Technically if it was your own car, you'd lose a LOT more through depreciation and possibly service in 3-4 years. Plus, 140,000 km (~86,000 mi) is a lot of time spent in your car, I'd want it to be more comfortable.

I like the blue and charcoal. I'm a fan of black, but not on my own car.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Power windows are still options on some cars?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I'd at least get the LS if nothing else for cruise. I don't think I could stand not having cruise.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

Power windows are still options on some cars?
"Just another thing to break" mentality IMHO.

In some cases, I would have been happy if power windows weren't standard. For example, Integra sedans don't have frames around the window. It's a common problem on the Integra for the window regulator to be damaged over time from opening and closing the door and rolling the windows up and down. And those window regulators aren't cheap. And if installed incorrectly, will prematurely wear and break again.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
"Just another thing to break" mentality IMHO.

In some cases, I would have been happy if power windows weren't standard. For example, Integra sedans don't have frames around the window. It's a common problem on the Integra for the window regulator to be damaged over time from opening and closing the door and rolling the windows up and down. And those window regulators aren't cheap. And if installed incorrectly, will prematurely wear and break again.
At least your window regulators aren't riveted on *shakes fist at GM*

Funny thing is, the rear passenger side window regulator on my old Integra crapped out one day out of nowhere.... had to pull it up by hand and it still wouldn't seal all the way. Back then I didn't know how or have the time, and I had them install speakers for me.... afterwards, it worked!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
For those saying they'd upgrade just for the bluetooth - you can buy a very decent aftermarket add-on ("Ant?") for like $70-$100 and there ya go. And block heater really isn't all that necessary here.

Forget about job security --- can you actually see yourself working in that company position for another 3-4 years? If not, and they get the car if you ever decide to leave, I wouldn't add a penny into it.

That being said, you spend a lot of time in your car and as long as you are okay losing a few thousand dollars for the sake of convenience - do it. You're saving a ton of money by not having a car payment, so a few thousand to make it just the way you want - if you feel it's worth it - isn't a big deal. I wouldn't do the $2,500 add-on though. I think the thing I would miss is stereo audio controls. And I've come to learn that NOT having auto climate control gets somewhat annoying after a while...constantly changing the fan speed and temp because it just doesn't adjust automatically to where you want it to STAY.

Like the blue too.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the base interior looks bad at all.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Oops. Didn't read that bluetooth could be added alone without having to add an entire package. In that case, I'd pay up a few hundred bucks for it to be integrated.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I would choose the blue colour. As far as which model is concerned, I would go with the basic with absolutely no charges to you personally. It's a company vehicle. Also enquire as to what (if any) the company would pay towards you personally if you didn't take a vehicle. If they pay any amount (most do), decide if it's cheaper to continue to drive your own vehicle and claim mileage expenses or what it would cost you to lease your own and if allowable claim the lease and expenses against your personal income.

It's all about the dollars and cents when having a company vehicle.

Terry
Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I could not live with that light-colored fabric, especially from what I've heard about the style of fabric. It's virtually impossible to get and keep clean.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

IMHO, if it's a company vehicle, it's not worth giving two shits about cleaning it, even if you are stuck with it for 3-4 years. Keep it sanitary, chuck out garbage give it a nice vaccuum every few months, touchless wash when the dirt gets close to unbearable, and voila.

And if you don't have any money invested into the vehicle, you won't be out a couple grand if you decide to leave. Better to have no strings attached to your company.

As far as bluetooth is concerned, why not just get a headset for ~$50? Pop it on when you're in the car, cheaper and much easier from what I've heard about the microphones on car Bluetooth systems. You can use it when you're out of the car as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
And block heater really isn't all that necessary here.

see yourself working in that company position for another 3-4 years?

And I've come to learn that NOT having auto climate control gets somewhat annoying after a while...constantly changing the fan speed and temp because it just doesn't adjust automatically to where you want it to STAY.

Like the blue too.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the base interior looks bad at all.
to block heater, totally useless.

another 3-4 years would likely be pushing it, and you raise a great point, I told myself I would look for greener pastures after 2 years. But I've become comfortable and enjoy the people I work with. so I guess i'm undecided.

My concern with the base is white fabric, god forbid I spill a coffee it would look like I pooped the seat. (not that I prone to spilling coffee or pooping in my seat)

Also Gigantic to auto climate, when I got this job I sold my TL because they gave me a company van (base uplander) that did not have auto climate. That vehicle jump was a huge step back for me.

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Oops. Didn't read that bluetooth could be added alone without having to add an entire package. In that case, I'd pay up a few hundred bucks for it to be integrated.
Ya for $345 bluetooth can be added which also includes steering wheel controls (both stereo and Phone). I may be able to convince the company to pay since BT is now law in Ontario. FWIW I have one of those earpieces and can't say I'm a huge fan.

Originally Posted by teranfon
I would choose the blue colour. As far as which model is concerned, I would go with the basic with absolutely no charges to you personally. It's a company vehicle. Also enquire as to what (if any) the company would pay towards you personally if you didn't take a vehicle. If they pay any amount (most do), decide if it's cheaper to continue to drive your own vehicle and claim mileage expenses or what it would cost you to lease your own and if allowable claim the lease and expenses against your personal income.

It's all about the dollars and cents when having a company vehicle.

Terry
Excellent point Terry, but I don't think they would offer enough to make it economically in my favor. Obviously I have to keep detailed mileage reports and I've been tracking them on an excel sheet. They also pay for gas/maintenance/insurance, so far this year that's saved me about $7k and that's not including the payments on the vehicle itself. Considering the taxable benefit amount I have to pay $40/month I think this arrangement is in my favor.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by Aman
IMHO, if it's a company vehicle, it's not worth giving two shits about cleaning it, even if you are stuck with it for 3-4 years. Keep it sanitary, chuck out garbage give it a nice vaccuum every few months, touchless wash when the dirt gets close to unbearable, and voila.
I keep it clean because it's a matter of respect. At the end of the day it's not my vehicle and the way it appears is a reflection of myself. My current vehicle was someone that treated it as you mentioned and when I received it (they were let go) it was a mess, I had to clean the shit out of it. Beyond that pieces of the interior was physically broken or covered in candy go left from her kids. I would not want someone else to have to deal with that. Plus just as you treat your personal car, I like my shit fresh and clean.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Dude, it's a company car and it will eventually be turned in for another new ride, right?

Keep the expenses at $0.

$2400 spread out over 4 years is still $50 per month. I don't see anything on that list that is an absolute must. I say use that money for a nice dinner out with the lady every month or something.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
Excellent point Terry, but I don't think they would offer enough to make it economically in my favor. Obviously I have to keep detailed mileage reports and I've been tracking them on an excel sheet. They also pay for gas/maintenance/insurance, so far this year that's saved me about $7k and that's not including the payments on the vehicle itself. Considering the taxable benefit amount I have to pay $40/month I think this arrangement is in my favor.
Yeah, various companies have different expenses and accounting. I have friends who work both sides (company owners and those who have company vehicles) and the company vehicles or salary adjustments are often negotiated previous to a contract being accepted. Sometimes it works in favour to use a personal vehicle and accept a salary adjustment, and sometimes not. Just try to have the vehicle or allowance work to your benefit. An old girlfriend was actually allowed a $900.00 monthly adjustment by refusing a company vehicle.

Terry

Last edited by teranfon; 09-20-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Maybe I should rephrase: Clean, but IMO not necessarily the level I'd give to a car I paid for with my own money. For that I'd go far beyond.

eg. tire shine, wax, interior detailer etc. are things I'd use on my personal car, but not a company car.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I say use that money for a nice dinner out with the lady every month or something.
When I win the sales contest this quarter, the company will pick up that tab too

Originally Posted by teranfon
Yeah, various companies have different expenses and accounting. I have friends who work both sides (company owners and those who have company vehicles) and the company vehicles or salary adjustments are often negotiated previous to a contract being accepted. Sometimes it works in favour to use a personal vehicle and accept a salary adjustment, and sometimes not. Just try to have the vehicle or allowance work to your benefit. An old girlfriend was actually allowed a $900.00 monthly adjustment by refusing a company vehicle.

Terry
My friends dad is set up with the same limit, he usually rolls nice vehicles (land rover, mdx, bmw etc)

Originally Posted by Aman
Maybe I should rephrase: Clean, but IMO not necessarily the level I'd give to a car I paid for with my own money. For that I'd go far beyond.

eg. tire shine, wax, interior detailer etc. are things I'd use on my personal car, but not a company car.
Ya, I just try to keep it in the condition I got it. It's not like its going to a car show or anything. I just vacuum/wash as needed, no special attention.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Unofficial Goat

I'm going to try and find one of these blue ones in person. I went to 2 dealers today and neither had one.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I wouldn't put any of my money into a company car. Get blue.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Charcoal.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 AM

Also Gigantic to auto climate, when I got this job I sold my TL because they gave me a company van (base uplander) that did not have auto climate. That vehicle jump was a huge step back for me.
Not having auto climate would surely be annoying.

Ya for $345 bluetooth can be added which also includes steering wheel controls (both stereo and Phone). I may be able to convince the company to pay since BT is now law in Ontario. FWIW I have one of those earpieces and can't say I'm a huge fan.

If it is now a law in Ontario and you have to make sales calls all the time I think this should be something you should probably have a good chance of convincing the company to cover and would definitely try and fight for sure
Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
If it is now a law in Ontario and you have to make sales calls all the time I think this should be something you should probably have a good chance of convincing the company to cover and would definitely try and fight for sure
Hopefully it is. But they've already provided me with one of those jawbone headseats so some of my leverage on that's gone. I'll see what I can do though.

When I started this thread I was convinced I'd upgrade a bit. But I think some great points have been made and many of them are things that I had not considered. I think I'm going to just rock the LS as many have suggested and I'll get BT if they'll pitch for it.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Hopefully it is. But they've already provided me with one of those jawbone headseats so some of my leverage on that's gone. I'll see what I can do though.

When I started this thread I was convinced I'd upgrade a bit. But I think some great points have been made and many of them are things that I had not considered. I think I'm going to just rock the LS as many have suggested and I'll get BT if they'll pitch for it.
If the BT is integrated with steering wheel controls and all I think I would pitch in for after trying to play hardball with them to get it included. I mean its only $9.57 a month to have it integrated. I mean you are saving 7k a year for not having insurance or car payment. I know for one I have only had a vehicle for 3 weeks with integrated bluetooth and I absolutely love it.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Unofficial Goat

I'm starting to think Blue is a phantom color, I've physically been to 2 dealers, and have contacted 3 more. None have one in stock.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:45 PM

I'm starting to think Blue is a phantom color, I've physically been to 2 dealers, and have contacted 3 more. None have one in stock.
Yeah doesn't seem to be that popular of a color. When I do a new search on Autotrader in the US for a New Blue Equinox it only find 533 in total with no distance limitations.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Unofficial Goat

GM.ca site sucks pretty hard, it said my local dealer has one, but when I stopped by they didn't, sales person *thinks* they have a blue one as part of their 2011 initial allotment and that's why it shows up online.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM

GM.ca site sucks pretty hard, it said my local dealer has one, but when I stopped by they didn't, sales person *thinks* they have a blue one as part of their 2011 initial allotment and that's why it shows up online.
how long for that to show up
Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Unofficial Goat

Cyber Metallic Grey

Black

Red

Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 PM

I still like blue the best. IMO, most blues (more towards navy) just always look classy to me...like wearing a navy business suit.

For most cars, I wouldn't go grey or black. Black for the obvious reason. Grey: I just feel like days are so dark and dreary here most of the year, that it makes it even more 'blah' to see a grey car every day. It just...makes winter seem even more dark and grey. Weird, I know. I just think it's nice to have a colour rather than a non-colour. Most cars are black, grey, or silver now too. Brightens things up a bit to have a colour and makes it stand out (if the colour is nice and suits it). I really do like their blue too.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Unofficial Goat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0P9_kbHpO4
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Cyber Metallic Grey FTW.

Really liking this new Equinox.

Quick Reply: So my van is a piece of crap