Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Scion Pointless?

Scion: The Brand With No Purpose

By Edward Niedermeyer on January 15, 2010
<!-- end postbyline --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->
“Scion is pretty much a North American brand, so that is why it is very natural to think more development, more design work, should be done in North America,” Yoshi Inaba, president of Toyota Motor North America tells Automotive News [sub]. In other words, fans of Scion’s first generation of JDM confections who railed against second-gen bloat are probably out of luck. Sure, model four in the Scion lineup will be the iQ minicar, which is small and weird enough to have been a member of the Scion invasion team, but after that? It’s all bloat and bigger blind spots from here on out. It’s what America wants.

Apparently the Scion tC, the only Scion product entirely designed and developed in the US, will be replaced this year. As if confirming the continued Americanization of Scion, the Camry-engined coupe is still outselling the only remaining Scion still reminiscent of the first generation, the xD. We’ve been told that the Fuse concept shown above is the basis for the new tC. Did we say something about bloat and blind spots earlier?
The decision to replace the tC this year has another implication: it means the FT-86 RWD coupe currently being developed by Toyota and Subaru almost certainly won’t be sold as a Scion (as it won’t arrive this year). And if a $25k RWD manual-transmission coupe doesn’t fit in you alleged youth brand, why the hell do you have a youth brand in the first place? Mr Inaba?
We will figure out what we need. We need to focus on more products based on the customer’s needs, what the customer wants… The important thing is to try and appeal to a younger segment. The role of Scion is to grow them into Toyota or Lexus so that has not changed…. We have to be tuned to the needs of younger customers. Connectivity is a very important issue [and] our products should take car of their interests and their needs.
That, or maybe pickups. Who knows what kids really want? Which is why I don’t think it’s too hyperbolic to say that this is highly reminiscent of the terminal brand cluelessness that defined GM for the last several decades. Toyota’s battle with “big company disease” obviously isn’t over, and it probably won’t be until it gives up on the Scion experiment.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Meh. I see Scion dying out in 5-10 years. I'm a huge fan of the tC but the rest of the lineup doesn't do it for me.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm not a fan of Scion at all. My cousin has a xA and she really likes it, but there are tons of replacements for it...i/e the Yaris. I'm not sure why Toyota decided to make really...anyone know why they did? The xB is the only one that Toyota doesn't really have, they could of just added it to their lineup. The tC is basically a Celica, right? They could of not d/c it.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Meh. Scion seems like it's there for the people who want something different but don't know a single thing about cars. It's the Civics and Corollas for people who don't want Civic's and Corollas.

Pointless? Not really. They're losing sales and their new generation of vehicles is uglier and bigger. Join the club.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Scion was Toyota's way of getting future customers in on the ground floor. You sell them a Scion, then a Corolla, then a Camry and once the kids come, a Sienna. The process repeats itself for the next generation and pretty soon you have a self-regenerating, thoughtless consumer base for your vehicles.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the last paragraph in the article about "brand cluelessness". Scion is supposed to be young and exciting, but they're far from it. It does seem like today's youth likes the Scion tC, but even that car's appeal seems to be waning. I think the tC is easily the one car in Scion's lineup that's actually bringing in young people. I'd be interested in knowing the average age of each three models' buyers, because I see mostly mid-late 20-somethings in the tC with the xA/xD being less so, and the xB rarely so.

Is this something Toyota couldn't do with their mother brand? Quite doubtful, to say the least. Toyota should just integrate much of what is Scion into the Toyota brand and just kill Scion as a result. The tC and xB already make better Toyotas anyway.

Just my .002.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Yes.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Scion was Toyota's way of getting future customers in on the ground floor. You sell them a Scion, then a Corolla, then a Camry and once the kids come, a Sienna. The process repeats itself for the next generation and pretty soon you have a self-regenerating, thoughtless consumer base for your vehicles.
But why not a Yaris, Toyota-badged xD, or Matrix, then a Corolla, Camry....?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
But why not a Yaris, Toyota-badged xD, or Matrix, then a Corolla, Camry....?
Because kids don't want to drive their parents' cars. They want something youthful and hip (like you said) and something that's easy to modify. But since Scions are sold through Toyota dealers, they'll be constantly reminded of the other brand as soon as they grow up and need something more practical.

Just my
Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

the tc's crush like beer cans...
Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Because kids don't want to drive their parents' cars. They want something youthful and hip (like you said) and something that's easy to modify. But since Scions are sold through Toyota dealers, they'll be constantly reminded of the other brand as soon as they grow up and need something more practical.

Just my
But these are probably the same kids that fantasize about modified Supras, MR2s, and Celicas, yes? Toyota needs to work on their image, not create other brands. That's just my opinion, though.

I don't think many young people care all that much about the Toyota name, much like other brands have youth faithful. I don't see what Scion is doing that the standard Toyota brand cannot accomplish.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Scion was Toyota's way of getting future customers in on the ground floor.

I don't think many young people care all that much about the Toyota name, much like other brands have youth faithful. I don't see what Scion is doing that the standard Toyota brand cannot accomplish.
Toyota created the Scion brand to bring in younger customers because the median age of a Toyota customer was 54 years old at the time.

I like the exterior looks of the TC and 1st gen xB, but haven't driven either.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Will Y.

Toyota created the Scion brand to bring in younger customers because the median age of a Toyota customer was 54 years old at the time.

I like the exterior looks of the TC and 1st gen xB, but haven't driven either.
That's when you go for your image change via new or redesigned products, not just launching a new brand when you're viewed as fartsy.

Look what kind of change Mazda was able to bring to their quiet, fairly bland lineup of 10 years ago (Miata aside). Hyundai/Kia didn't launch a "real" brand to battle Toyota and Honda, they changed their products. GM didn't feel like they could take on the Japanese with Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac, so they launched the import fighter that was Saturn. Didn't work.

Not that I'm saying Scion is -point blank- not working, but I do have to wonder if the average 39 year old might've actually been impelled to avoid the products if they were badged as Toyotas.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scions are for 97 Corolla owners who dream big.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

That's when you go for your image change via new or redesigned products, not just launching a new brand when you're viewed as fartsy.

Look what kind of change Mazda was able to bring to their quiet, fairly bland lineup of 10 years ago (Miata aside). Hyundai/Kia didn't launch a "real" brand to battle Toyota and Honda, they changed their products. GM didn't feel like they could take on the Japanese with Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac, so they launched the import fighter that was Saturn. Didn't work.

Not that I'm saying Scion is -point blank- not working, but I do have to wonder if the average 39 year old might've actually been impelled to avoid the products if they were badged as Toyotas.
Exactly....I never said starting Scion was the right way to attract younger buyers but it seems to have worked. Most people I see driving them are under 30. However, I'd like to see statistics on Scion owners who wind up buying Toyotas later on. I'd bet it's pretty slim. Personally I'd much rather have a Mazda3 (even with the front end) over a Corolla or Camry SE.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
I'm not a fan of Scion at all. My cousin has a xA and she really likes it, but there are tons of replacements for it...i/e the Yaris. I'm not sure why Toyota decided to make really...anyone know why they did? The xB is the only one that Toyota doesn't really have, they could of just added it to their lineup. The tC is basically a Celica, right? They could of not d/c it.
There is not one Scion product that I would ever or will ever buy.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I personally don't like any of Scion's vehicles, but I see plenty around, so someone does. It was supposed to be a young, "hip" brand that Toyota hoped to eventually lead people into Toyota and Lexus vehicles. I just see cheap, ugly vehicles. IMO it seems like a waste of resources in its current state, but executed correctly, could possibly be worthwhile. Seems like a better idea would be to actually make some small sporty cars in Toyota's lineup.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
the TC was a nice addition to the car community, they tend to get a little rice b/c of the price and amount of aftermarket.. but i've seen a ton of nice looking ones.. the other scions are just

curious to see what they are gonna do with the TC.. they've been changing tail lights for a while now, its about time they make a new model...

But since Scions are sold through Toyota dealers,

Just my
off topic.. but we have scion dealerships here.. separate from toyota.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 07-26-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
^ How in the world do they stay in business by themselves? Never thought they sold that well...

Our ONLY scion dealership in southern Delaware (2 in all of DE) seem to have shipments every month of about 10 TCs, 2 xbs and 2 xds. Seriously, after what, 7 years, the tc needs a replacement, but kids are still buying them because they look cool. Brother does have a tc, and its been a pretty good car.

But what i found funny was a thread that said the most common speeder... well ones caught as least, the most stopped car by police was the TC. It has worked for Toyota actually (lowering the median age i mean). But they need to do something quick to keep consumers interested. Ugly ass designs.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes.

i've always been a fan of the tC though.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Scion sales fell about 49 percent last year. I don't know from what to what, and I don't know how they're doing now.

I did find this though:

In the first two months of 2010, it sold only 6,062 cars, down 20.5 percent.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN3114891720100331

That article also claimed the average Scion buyer is now 37, but Toyota's has risen to 56 (Lexus at 57).

Scion's buyers are 73% new customers, with a 60% retention rate.

They have the new Scion iQ coming and the freshened tC.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Scion is meh.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
"The Brand With No Purpose" ? The purpose is to get young drivers into the Toyota family of vehicles...he even states this (and contradicts himself)...so it's not a brand without purpose, it's a brand that has evolved with its original generation of customers and in doing so, no longer appeals to the youngest of drivers...

I'm not a fan of most Toyota products, so I'd be thrilled if Scion fell into the deapest ocean and sank to the bottom. But the iQ will add more excitement to the division and sales will return.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,201 Likes on 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
^ How in the world do they stay in business by themselves? Never thought they sold that well...
I'm betting the dealer is owned by someone who owns multiple others, i.e:

Park Place:
Porsche
Mercedes
Bentley
Rolls
Maserati
etc.

I think Scion would do better with the younger crowd if it sold more cars like the tC & not eco-boxes. The only people I see drive the other models are usually older folks or some kid trying to be "hella-flush" with a box on wheels.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I would say scions purpose is to attract the buyer to a toyota. Scion's don't appeal to me because they only have a good looking car, (for me the tc). The car's not great and its cheap as hell! I've sat in the last gen xb and current tc. Both cars are pretty cheap. But showing a kid this, and assuming he/she keeps the car for 7-8 years, when they go on to buy there own car a toyota might appeal to them. It would be a little higher quality, and better performance but assuming they've had the car for 7 years then the owners may be looking to get into something more comfortable. And if they do not make a lot of money a toyota could appeal to them. I dunno. I'm young, I dont like the toyota brand and hopefully I dont have to buy one, ever. I also don't like scion and lexus Their brand image doesn't appeal to me much.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
If you want to attract buyers to Toyota, make a good-looking TOYOTA. Worked for them in the '90s, and it's working for Hyundai and Ford now.

While it may make sense in theory, having a seperate brand just to attract customers doesn't make sense in reality, because most people will be attracted to the car itself.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
DuDeChEwY

i used to own a tc it was a great car.....was in my price range and fairly easy/cheap to modify. It was a very flimsy car tho....
Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I honestly don't think I can see Scion lasting much longer. They did appeal to me when they first came out but was not impressed when I got to ride in my friends tC. I am also glad that the tC will be replaced because it could really use a refresh.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
They make a whole lotta ugly cars
Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RyanCHICL
I honestly don't think I can see Scion lasting much longer. They did appeal to me when they first came out but was not impressed when I got to ride in my friends tC. I am also glad that the tC will be replaced because it could really use a refresh.
Unfortunately the tC is not being replaced. The 2011 tC is just a heavy refresh. For being roughly five or six years old already though, it could use a full redesign.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:30 PM
5th Gear

As I understand it, Scion was made to cater to the pop culture (I relate this to high schoolers) people. So the design is very...ecclectic?

Agreed though, Toyota hasn't made good looking cars in ages.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
2011 tC

Not bad. I think they did enough to keep it selling well like it always has been.

I'm waiting for the iQ...

Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Toyota should bring some speed back to their line-up and call it a day.

I think the Scion idea was actually a brilliant idea, here's why:

1) Attract youth into a product that utlizes many of the current Toyota parts
2) It doesn't dimish the Toyota brand with respect to older Consumers
3) Allows for for Toyota to make cars that compete in the same segment without neccessarily canabalizing the other brand
Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I hate Scions. I hate the Tc. It makes me think of this dude around here who has one, thinks it's just the shit, when in reality it's cheap ass tiny little car. He tried to tell me that his (stock automatic) tC had 220HP....at the wheels. Lol, I laughed for days.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Eoanou

3) Allows for for Toyota to make cars that compete in the same segment without neccessarily canabalizing the other brand
True, like Toyota selling the Mark X as a Scion? I could go for that....supercharged rear drive midsize fun!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Eoanou

I agree. Well said.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
scion is meh
Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by torv
As I understand it, Scion was made to cater to the pop culture (I relate this to high schoolers) people.
definately on the right track..

the closest scion dealer is down the road from me, the salesmen are all young (mid 20's) the mech's all drive scions.. heavily modded < are always parked out front.

the parts guy's have tattoo sleeves.
its a very "young" atmosphere.

not to mention they lay out alternative wheels, lips and performance mods all over the show room..

its a highschool kid's dream
Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
That iQ looks like Stevie Wonder designed it and Michael J Fox put it together.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
That iQ looks like Stevie Wonder designed it and Michael J Fox put it together.
Hope you're not a religious man, because you're going to hell

Quick Reply: Is Scion Pointless?