Returning Leases (BMW in particular)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:25 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Returning Leases (BMW in particular)

OK...the Alfa is my 5th lease in the past almost 9 years. My first 2 leases had equity and I was able to trade out of them. The Jeep was the first lease I went to term with, and I had no issue just taking to a random FCA dealer and dropping it, signing a paper, and walking away.

I've been dealing with trying to return the X3, and for some reason BMW has made the whole ordeal a highly frustrating experience between BMW Financial and the independent dealers. So much so that it leaves me questioning if I would ever lease another one after this.

I'm pretty sure when the Alfa lease is up everything will be fine because the lease is through Ally, who handled my Jeep lease.

So, that leaves me wondering, how has other people lease returns gone in terms of smoothness, especially BMW.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
OK...the Alfa is my 5th lease in the past almost 9 years. My first 2 leases had equity and I was able to trade out of them. The Jeep was the first lease I went to term with, and I had no issue just taking to a random FCA dealer and dropping it, signing a paper, and walking away.

I've been dealing with trying to return the X3, and for some reason BMW has made the whole ordeal a highly frustrating experience between BMW Financial and the independent dealers. So much so that it leaves me questioning if I would ever lease another one after this.

I'm pretty sure when the Alfa lease is up everything will be fine because the lease is through Ally, who handled my Jeep lease.

So, that leaves me wondering, how has other people lease returns gone in terms of smoothness, especially BMW.
My last BMW lease (2002 530i 5-Speed, PP, SP, Premium Audio, Xenon) ended with me living five states away from where I originally ordered the car (which was picked up via European Delivery). When I called the local dealership in my new home state in 2005 the leasing manager told me I'd need to take it back to the dealership which originally placed the order. I pressed him saying it wasn't practical for me to drive hundreds of miles just to turn in a lease car when the terms of the lease specifically stated I could return it to any BMW dealership. He relented, "Alright, bring it in, we'll have a look at it."

When I drove up and introduced myself, he walked out, took one look at the car and said, "Oh yeah, we're keeping this one!"

I asked, "Yesterday you told me to drive it back to where I ordered it, today you seem thrilled to have it; what changed?"

"Mr. Shoez," he responded, "do you know how many 530i SP Automatics I have on my lot? Over a dozen. Do you know how many 530i SP 5-Speeds I have on my lot? None."

Two days later my car popped up on their CPO web page listed for something like $2,500 more than the most expensive automatic on the lot; it sold in two days.

I guess the moral to this story is, unless you can return to the original dealership, you better have a unicorn.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
The only variable I know of with leased Toyota/Lexus vehicles is whether it was leased through Lexus/Toyota Financial Services or Southeast Toyota. TFS vehicles have to be returned to stores that use TFS, same with SET vehicles.

I'm not sure why your BMW store wouldn't accept your vehicle...I wouldn't think they're obligated to keep it. Lexus stores have the option to buy it, but we don't HAVE to.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
What specifically happened Sarlacc? Sucks that happened to you!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:08 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
What specifically happened Sarlacc? Sucks that happened to you!
Nothing major, more 1st world problem crap. But BMWfs said it would only 4-5 business days after the inspection to get the final pay off...took 8 business days and only because I was calling them. No one was on the same page, no one knew anything, and somehow I fell through the cracks. So, I finally got the payoff...they dont allow credit cards. Which is annoying but I was half expecting it. So, I pay my balance so I can turn the car in...closest dealer to me is Santa Monica who I have always hated...and of course they refuse to take the car (I called ahead) because I didn't get it from them citing "space" as an issue. Which is total bullshit. I couldn't get South Bay BMW on the phone as their lease guy never picks up or returns calls, and luckily Beverly Hills BMW will take the car but I had to make an appt...even just to hand it over and sign a piece of paper.

Its all dumb shit but the hoops they make you jump through? For a "luxury marque" vehicle...fuck them.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:03 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

That's horseshit!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:29 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,105 Likes on 4,006 Posts
You should have told them you wanted to return your lease and look for a new one. They would have made "space" really fast.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
You should have told them you wanted to return your lease and look for a new one. They would have made "space" really fast.
+1

I had no problem returning my 335i lease to a different dealer back in 2017. They barely looked for any damages, but I also leased another BMW from them.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:23 PM
The Third Ball

Its done. Just got home from dropping it off at Beverly Hills BMW who couldn't have made it easier. They even paid for my Uber home.

Definitely going to have to think about if I want to deal with this again. BMW financial was the real pain in the ass with their ball dropping. And I would have seriously gone with another one but they didn't seem to want me as a repeat customer via incentives, whatever. And to be honest. I LOVE the Stelvio we got my wife. That thing is just fun to drive all day every day.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts

I am on my 3rd... 0 issues.

The process is pretty much the same for everyone... you get an inspection prior to your lease, so you know exactly what to expect. They actually give you time to fix whatever that you dont want them to fix later.

You return the car and you receive a bill a month later...the amount on the bill shows whatever damages, excess mileage, unreasonable wear and tear, tires charges that should have been already pointed out to you during the inspection.

Now, if you dont do the inspection prior to returning to the dealer.. yes you can do that too.. that is when things get complicated.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:33 PM
Team Owner

Nothing major, more 1st world problem crap. But BMWfs said it would only 4-5 business days after the inspection to get the final pay off...took 8 business days and only because I was calling them. No one was on the same page, no one knew anything, and somehow I fell through the cracks. So, I finally got the payoff...they dont allow credit cards. Which is annoying but I was half expecting it. So, I pay my balance so I can turn the car in...closest dealer to me is Santa Monica who I have always hated...and of course they refuse to take the car (I called ahead) because I didn't get it from them citing "space" as an issue. Which is total bullshit. I couldn't get South Bay BMW on the phone as their lease guy never picks up or returns calls, and luckily Beverly Hills BMW will take the car but I had to make an appt...even just to hand it over and sign a piece of paper.

Its all dumb shit but the hoops they make you jump through? For a "luxury marque" vehicle...fuck them.
I dont know why yours was so complicated.

Did the inspection 1 month before the maturity date and on the day my new car arrived, i just went to the dealer and give them the key, picked up the new car.... and Peace

about 1 month later the final bill showed up on MyBMW and reviewed it, and paid like it like how i would pay my monthly bill.

I had also leased Honda and numerous Infiniti, the process was all pretty much the same. Some of them didnt even bother to come out to inspect the car when i returned it...

Last edited by oonowindoo; 10-31-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:29 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I dont know why yours was so complicated.

Did the inspection 1 month before the maturity date and on the day my new car arrived, i just went to the dealer and give them the key, picked up the new car.... and Peace

about 1 month later the final bill showed up on MyBMW and reviewed it, and paid like it like how i would pay my monthly bill.

I had also leased Honda and numerous Infiniti, the process was all pretty much the same. Some of them didnt even bother to come out to inspect the car when i returned it...
no clue. Maybe it’s because I got out of it 4 months early and didn’t get another one.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Probably... cuz normally the process is very smooth...
Old 10-31-2019, 08:39 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Hopefully the new car serves you well Sarlacc!
Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Thanks for this. I’ve been debating about leasing a 5 series...
Old 11-01-2019, 11:47 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Thanks for this. I’ve been debating about leasing a 5 series...
Just remember I'm only 1 experience. As others have said, they've had no issues.