Really pissed!!! Pepboys service quality! PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012 | 05:07 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Took my car to Midas for an oil change and they put in the wrong drain plug. Wanted to charge me around +/- $1000.00 for a new oil pan because they said that the drain plug hole was stripped.

Jiffy lube did the original prior oil change, so I took it back over there. They took one look at it and said that Midas put in the wrong drain plug and that nothing was stripped at all..

Lesson here, no place is going to be perfect.. But with that said, I would never/have never taken a car to Pep Boys for any kind of service.
not sure if Midas let alone Jiffy Lube are any better than Pep Boys. NOPE, just won't do it. at least at the dealer there is less of a chance that there will be a mess up like that since all they do is work on Acuras all day. i'm not saying they are perfect since it all depends which tech is working on your car.

as someone else said find someone you trust (whether it's the dealer, an indy, or your buddy) and go to them to care for your car if DIY is not possible.
Old 05-28-2012 | 06:05 PM
Pro

glad they took care of it. Those hacks!! I went in there during a violent storm on a Sunday afternoon to get a tire patched on my 97 Jetta. They told me I needed new shocks and struts all around and showed me where they were leaking. Turns out they sprayed WD40 on them. They were new and I personally replaced them 5 months prior. I even ran my fingers on the 'leak' and smelled it in front of the tech. Showed them the box which were still in the trunk. I just reported them to their corporate office. I got an email w/ offers of free oil change/tire rotation. Fackin hacks!!
Old 05-28-2012 | 08:07 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

I remember i bought my very first car (2000 TL) and i just wanted to do an oil change so took it to pep boys and the car drove so bad after wards and the next day it wouldn't start.

Got the car towed to the dealer and found out that they used 10W40 oil. never went back.
Old 05-29-2012 | 03:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
glad they took care of it. Those hacks!! I went in there during a violent storm on a Sunday afternoon to get a tire patched on my 97 Jetta. They told me I needed new shocks and struts all around and showed me where they were leaking. Turns out they sprayed WD40 on them. They were new and I personally replaced them 5 months prior. I even ran my fingers on the 'leak' and smelled it in front of the tech. Showed them the box which were still in the trunk. I just reported them to their corporate office. I got an email w/ offers of free oil change/tire rotation. Fackin hacks!!
Wow, they didnt tell me if I had any other problems, I hope I dont develop a leak after this service that is what I am now currently worried about, seeing so many members tell me to never go there. I am keeping a close eye on my PS fluid level.

Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
I remember i bought my very first car (2000 TL) and i just wanted to do an oil change so took it to pep boys and the car drove so bad after wards and the next day it wouldn't start.
Got the car towed to the dealer and found out that they used 10W40 oil. never went back.
That's no fun, my mom's '03 Envoy got an oil change at JiffyLube, but tech forgot to put the filter on, THE FILTER. Before my mom picked up the suv you can clearly see the oil running down as the car was on. They blamed her, she fought back calling BBB and regional manager and she got a new oil change(well still paid since the first time wasnt done properly).
Old 05-29-2012 | 07:54 AM
Safety Car

In my experience, Pep Boys is the absolute worst, followed by Jiffy Lube. There is this other place called America's Service Station here where I live that my wife was taking her car to. At first they were good, but eventually they started to become a little shady. First it was a brake job, they messed up and ended up charging more when my wife bought the car back to show them the problems she was still having with brakes.

The final straw was when my wife noticed the rear brake lights would never turn off even when the car was off. She took it to A.S.S. ( ). and they quoted her $80 to fix it. She called and I told her that was too much and to bring it home and ill do some research on it. When she left, the guys tried to scare her in saying that driving in that "condition" could damage the car.

I finally figured out it was just a switch behind the brake pedal that wasn't being pressed in because a rubber stopper on the the other side of the brake pedal had worn out and fell off. The entire switch was 10 bucks at Auto zone (ASS wanted to charge her 30 for the exact same switch + 50 in labor), but it turned out I didn't even need a new switch because there was a replacement stopper right next to the one that fell off. Surely they saw that too but felt they could get more money by ripping her off. It literally took me 30 seconds to replace the stopper including the time to get up, close the car door and go back in the house.

I immediately wrote a bad review on kudzu and the next day we get a call from the store's manager asking us to call them about the brake light issue, but we never did; we haven't been back since.

It's a shame you can't trust many auto repair shops these days, so if you find one you can trust, stay with them.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 05-29-2012 at 08:00 AM.