Rant Alert - Passing Lane Morons...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Rant Alert - Passing Lane Morons...

I just need to vent here. I am sick and tired of the lack of education and the arrogance that American drivers flaunt with pride. It appears to me (and I have seen nothing to prove otherwise) that 90% of American drivers think the freeway system is just a big race track. There is no lane etiquette and that is a big problem. It increases congestion, the potential for road rage and decreases efficiency. For starters, the left lane is the passing lane, not the 'fast lane' as some people like to think it is. This misnomer gives those environmental douchebags driving Toyota Priuses the false idea that they can sit in the left lane going 55 in a 65 zone and think they are going 'fast'. You pass in the passing lane and then you get the fuck out of the lane.

I stumbled across a poll somewhere on the internet that asked if the US should have an Autobahn style road. I voted no but 85% of people voted yes. This will never work. I am convinced that 80% of those who voted yes believe that the Autobahn is just a big race track to see who can go the fastest. That is not what the Autobahn is about. It is about control, being aware of your surroundings and those around you. A video surfaced recently of a man driving a Bugatti Veyron on a section of the Autobahn with no speed limits. I'm sure this is a revelation to some; not all of the Autobahn is speed limit free. In fact, 80% of it has a speed limit of 130 km/h (80 mph) or less.

The Veyron is the fastest production car ever built. This man was going 230 mph he would pass people ON THE LEFT as you are supposed to and then he MOVED BACK OVER. That's how it's done. Even though there was nobody else on the road and he was driving the fastest car ever built, the man moved over because the left lane is for PASSING and he was no longer PASSING anybody. Most Americans simply cannot understand this (some choose not to) and hence, the Autobahn should remain in Germany where it belongs.

States need to start enforcing the keep right except to pass law and they need to start doing it now. Fines should be $225 minimum. Future violators should face the possibility of losing their licenses.

Just my opinion...
Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I've experienced some of the worst drivers in Oregon.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was amazed a the autobahn as well. I drove on it w/ my family in August, and everyone knew the laws etc. It was obvious that everyone was very aware of their surroundings. We were in a Seat Altea XL w/ a diesel, so needless to say, we were in the right lane most of the time.

I think it could work in America, if they specifically stated that is illegal to be in the left lane unless you are passing. Make it a ticketable offense, and enforce it, and people might get the idea.

As it is, it will always just be another lane, and people going the speed limit will use it, and they have the right to do so. It is annoying, but there isn't really anything you can do about it. I find it's really only bad on 2 lane roads, when people decide to drive right next to eachother at the same speed. Usually if there are more lanes, or otherwise, you can find a way to pass if you have to.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
"States need to start enforcing the keep right except to pass law and they need to start doing it now. Fines should be $225 minimum. Future violators should face the possibility of losing their licenses."

Amen to that!!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:14 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Tell this shit to all the Washington drivers, THE worst place to be...
Old 11-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps
"States need to start enforcing the keep right except to pass law and they need to start doing it now. Fines should be $225 minimum. Future violators should face the possibility of losing their licenses."

Amen to that!!
First they have to start ticketing people for blocking the left lane.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Cause of the problem is not from the driver. It's the DPS. It's just toooooooooo easy to get driver licenses here in US. No need to say, that yields low quality drivers. The testing procedure in US should be much tougher.

From an interesting personal observation, it's not the American drivers that drive like morons. It's the owners of American vehicles drive like morons. Maybe it's a local thing where I'm at. Like I said, it's just my personal observation, don't scream at me like a f_ck up.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by TL_Captain
Cause of the problem is not from the driver. It's the DPS. It's just toooooooooo easy to get driver licenses here in US. No need to say, that yields low quality drivers. The testing procedure in US should be much tougher.
Big effin . In Germany it's borderline impossible to get a license. The list of requirements is huge and includes a course on safe driving, being at least 18, etc. etc.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 AM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
what abot Finland, i saw the episode on Top Gear that in order to get a liscense there, you have to be able to effectivly powerslide a vehicle or something like that, that's crazy, i wish we had more skilled drivers on the road, then there wouldn't be do many people wandering into my lane to try and hit me. it's happened like 4 times at least now since i got my acura, next mod for me is gonna be a loud ass horn, so those who don't know the rules of the road and almost hit me can go deaf......../rant
Old 11-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Exclamation

I think most people (US ... Canada, what have you) are very ignorant to the "keep right except to pass" common courtesy rule of driving. It's most apparent in bigger cities. While driving home from Toronto to Windsor (I go all the time) it's really bad with people clogging up the left lane when they have no real business in that lane.

This is my hypothesis: people stay in the left lane out of convenience. They don't have to worry about people merging in the lane (ie far right lane) and more importantly, the road ahead is clear. So as long as they are at, or just slightly above, the speed limit, they think they are "correct" in being in the far left lane.

We should also enforce the rule of people in the middle lane(s) of a multilane highway ... for slower traffic they should stick to the far right lanes. It's just as frustrating to see slow people in the middle lane (ie avoid merging traffic) then have the people just barely going the speed limit in the far left lane. That almost forces me to go to the far right lane to pass these idiots, however, that would make me someone who causes accidents if I do that. Usually people get the idea of flicking the highbeams to catch their attention -- I am not one to tailgate.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i usually ride the left lane, but only because im usually doing 20mph+ over. i only go in the right lane if its open, but most of the time its some what full or i'd look like a fool weaving in and out of traffic.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
While I agree with most of what you are saying, but in a city, where a freeway packs up every afternoon, its not going to happen. Maybe when there is no congestion, but its not going to help rush hour traffic, the only way to do that is to FORCE people to follow queuing rules with ramp metering.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Just carpool. I do it everyday with my wife.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
PortlandRL, I agree completely. 100%. No reservations.

I've said the same things elsewhere:

No lane discipline in the US = no way an autobahn-type system would work.

"Keep Right Except to Pass" - How f'n hard is that to understand? And that *is* the law; I'd love to see it enforced.

I do ~30,000 rural interstate miles per year; a typical trip is (min) 120 miles - 300 miles. Sometimes as much as 400 - 450 miles. Left lane bandits are my biggest peeve. Urban/suburban freeway, yeah, I can accept and understand that it's going to be a mixed bag.

But rural interstate:

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
.... You pass in the passing lane and then you get the fuck out of the lane.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also drive a lot of rural interstate. I think there are really two issues: 1. People think the road was built for them and they can drive however they want. Just like the guy that pulls right in front of you from a stop when you are going 60. Doesn't matter to him if he inconveniences you, he's late. 2. People have no idea what they are doing. Most people have no idea what they are doing when driving. They don't know who is around them and they aren't thinking at all about driving.

My favorite are the ones that speed up when you try pass them on the right. Do you want me to stay 2 inches from your bumper or move around you?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Oregon and Washington have THE most "out to lunch" drivers out of ANY place I've been in my life.

I'm not sure if its the fact that most were high as a kite in the 60's and its starting to catch up to them or if its the granola. Maybe both.

On a similar topic, today I was doing a bit of shopping. There I encountered what I consider to be the most recent plague to fall upon the motoring population, the clueless greenlight sitter. Yes, the person texting/doing makeup or is otherwise ignorant of the fact that the light has been green for the past 10 seconds and they have a line of cars sitting behind them.

Well today it happened four times in the same area. PortlandRL will know this place well, its called Tanasbourne. Its a somewhat nice shopping area (locals in Portland think its "posh" and special, its not) and its filled with suburban drones. The vast majority drive Camry hybrids, 3 series BMW's and the inevitable oversized SUV. And they're all conspiring to make the world a worse place than it was before by NOT FUCKING PAYING ATTENTION TO THEIR SURROUNDINGS.

Cliff notes: I used my horn quite a bit today
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The day we see a strict driver education program such as that of Germany in the United States is the day hell freezes over.

We hand out driver licenses to retards. I cannot count how many times I got cut off in the left lane because idiots are completely incapable of judging the speed of the approaching vehicles. This is one of the things that Germany teaches their young drivers - learning how to judge approaching speed. That Porsche half a mile back in your mirror can be on top of you in a second on the Autobahn.

This is unrelated, but I have to vent since it's about traffic. Yesterday, I was on my way to Home Depot and I was on a four lane road, two in each direction. This idiot in a full-size SUV stops in the left lane to make a left. That's what the turning lane is for, thank you.

Then the woman in the right lane in a Cobalt slams on the brakes because she panicks about the SUV stopping. So here I am, approaching at 50 mph with both lanes blocked. I slam on the brakes, realize there is no room, so I dive into the space in-between. I stopped, lowered my window and said "Why are you stopped in the middle of the road?"

The woman says to me "Fuck you, bitch."

Now mind you, I was not being aggressive or offensive. It was a simple question. Then she honks at me, tries to hit me, blah blah blah. I could've used a new paint job on my rear bumper, but I had to pee real bad and didn't feel like waiting around for a cop. It's bad enough that I'm an Asian guy driving an Acura in Montgomery, Alabama. No way I would win that argument against a local.

Cliff's note - I hate people.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
One of my biggest pet peeves. There was one this morning going 50 in the left lane on a 55 road. He/she would hit the brakes everytime someone ran up on them! I guess the fact that EVERY car was getting into the right lane and going around them wasn't enough of a clue.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
This morning I was driving to work, 3 lane highway. I was in the right lane going 60-65 whereas the middle and left lanes were going 50-55. People in Brooklyn seem to be scared of driving in the right lane and insist on sticking to the left.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
The day we see a strict driver education program such as that of Germany in the United States is the day hell freezes over.

We hand out driver licenses to retards. I cannot count how many times I got cut off in the left lane because idiots are completely incapable of judging the speed of the approaching vehicles. This is one of the things that Germany teaches their young drivers - learning how to judge approaching speed. That Porsche half a mile back in your mirror can be on top of you in a second on the Autobahn.

This is unrelated, but I have to vent since it's about traffic. Yesterday, I was on my way to Home Depot and I was on a four lane road, two in each direction. This idiot in a full-size SUV stops in the left lane to make a left. That's what the turning lane is for, thank you.

Then the woman in the right lane in a Cobalt slams on the brakes because she panicks about the SUV stopping. So here I am, approaching at 50 mph with both lanes blocked. I slam on the brakes, realize there is no room, so I dive into the space in-between. I stopped, lowered my window and said "Why are you stopped in the middle of the road?"

The woman says to me "Fuck you, bitch."

Now mind you, I was not being aggressive or offensive. It was a simple question. Then she honks at me, tries to hit me, blah blah blah. I could've used a new paint job on my rear bumper, but I had to pee real bad and didn't feel like waiting around for a cop. It's bad enough that I'm an Asian guy driving an Acura in Montgomery, Alabama. No way I would win that argument against a local.

Cliff's note - I hate people.
Ive had that happen before too. It pisses me off the sheer number of people that just plain shouldnt be on the road period and the lack of drivers education and common courtesy for others. Instead of making more stupid laws and making cars for idiots, why not revamp the drivers education system.

One more thing that pisses me off, is yesterday afternoon on my way home from chicago going down the interstate we were in the beginning stages of a snow storm, nothing accumulating on the roads but snowing enough to reduce visibility on and off, I ran into more IDIOTS that in heavy traffic Panic and slam on the brakes when it would start to come down harder, not just apply them to slow down, Slam on them like something just ran out in front of them to slow down to a snails like pace till the snow let up just to step on it again to the speed limit when they could see normally. There is NO need to panic brake like that and cause accidents (which i did see because if it) Idiots were doing this in all the lanes, and people were flying every which way to avoid others.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I ran into more IDIOTS that in heavy traffic Panic and slam on the brakes when it would start to come down harder, not just apply them to slow down, Slam on them like something just ran out in front of them to slow down to a snails like pace till the snow let up just to step on it again to the speed limit when they could see normally.
Happens all the time here when it rains .
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
new jesery is the worst i've ever driven. everyone would ride the lane in which you merge into the highway so it was damn near impossible to get on.

fuckers.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I always said there is a difference between a driver and someone operating an automobile.

Most of us are "drivers." We learned the "rules" of the road. We stay to the right if there are cars moving faster than we are. We get out of the way of other drivers. We avoid wherever possible. We tend to do stuff like actually take into consideration the cars around us.

People that merely operate an automobile are the idiots that get into their car and feel they are in a bubble of their own world. They shut out the outside and other drivers. They feel more comfortable in the fast lane and don't give a crap that they are doing 65. Because to them, they are always right. They are the inconsiderate a-holes that piss us all off.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
OP, I couldn't agree more, most people are totally unaware of their surroundings and are usually blabbering away on their cell phones...it drives me crazy on a daily basis!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

I tell you what would happen if you started implementing actual rules and strict guidelines for driver licenses. People would get up in arms saying it's against their rights as Americans (forgetting that driving is a privilege, not a right!).

That's the way it will be. It will never change; we might as well get used to it.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
PortlandRL will know this place well, its called Tanasbourne. Its a somewhat nice shopping area (locals in Portland think its "posh" and special, its not) and its filled with suburban drones. The vast majority drive Camry hybrids, 3 series BMW's and the inevitable oversized SUV. And they're all conspiring to make the world a worse place than it was before by NOT FUCKING PAYING ATTENTION TO THEIR SURROUNDINGS!!!
No kidding. Tanasbourne sucks something fierce. You want posh? Go to Bridgeport...
Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I tell you what would happen if you started implementing actual rules and strict guidelines for driver licenses. People would get up in arms saying it's against their rights as Americans (forgetting that driving is a privilege, not a right!).

That's the way it will be. It will never change; we might as well get used to it.
Sad but true.

I can't tell you how relieved I get when I'm in the left lane going faster than the rest of the traffic, then the person ahead of me signals to get into the next lane over - just to move out of the way, not to exit. I don't have to slow down at all, and its just so great knowing at least one person knows that much about driving.

I'm a good mannered driver, I know the rules of the road, and normally keep the road rage under control.... I rarely ever use my horn. But I was in a hurry once and traffic was kind of congested, I was in the left lane behind some dumbshit going 55 with a football field's length of no cars ahead of him. I got so pissed that once the lane next to me was open, I floored it and cut him off, nearly running him off the road... he literally swerved.

I'm lucky that drivers aren't too bad in my area.... but it just so happens that there are quite a few fobby Asian women in my area (the worst) and quite a lot of paisas, who can't drive for shit regardless of age or gender. If only there was a vigilante squad who would pull over people who can't drive worth a damn, then beat them mercilessly and tell them what they did wrong. It's probably more effective than a speeding ticket.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I can't tell you how relieved I get when I'm in the left lane going faster than the rest of the traffic, then the person ahead of me signals to get into the next lane over - just to move out of the way, not to exit. I don't have to slow down at all, and its just so great knowing at least one person knows that much about driving.
You're not the only one. It can almost make my day.

I'm a good mannered driver, I know the rules of the road, and normally keep the road rage under control.... I rarely ever use my horn. But I was in a hurry once and traffic was kind of congested, I was in the left lane behind some dumbshit going 55 with a football field's length of no cars ahead of him. I got so pissed that once the lane next to me was open, I floored it and cut him off, nearly running him off the road... he literally swerved.
I've done that (do that), too, although I've never made someone swerve. They usually still don't get it.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
You're not the only one. It can almost make my day.

I've done that (do that), too, although I've never made someone swerve. They usually still don't get it.
I too have done that on more than 1 occasion, and I have a feeling that not one time did the person understand why I did it
Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
People like that drive me nuts, too. I can't stand the people who drive slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane and allow the space in front of them to just build and build to the point of being ridiculous. I absolutely pass these people at the first possible opportunity, but even worse are the ones who after you pass them, speed up and get all butt-hurt that you passed them. Talk about total idiots.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

The point is, if he was not in the process of passing, he shouldn't have been in the left lane in the first place. And neither should you - *unless* you were passing.

Speed relative to the rest of traffic has nothing to do with the concept of "Keep Right *Except* To Pass".
Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced

It just goes to show with our current lax licensing requirements, morons are and will continue to be everywhere.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Move over, slowpoke!

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...you-crazy.aspx
Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
I could go on and on about this but I just won't cus I will get . But
Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Its like your dream come true..

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...-a-ticket.html
Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
Didnt read the whole thread but AMEN BROTHER.
Kent to UW everyday, I always have to deal with stupid fuks who love to go 55 in the carpool lane. If your going slower than traffic on the right, Move the FUCK over! Freaking people love to play choochoo train with 7 cars racked behind them. I say they need to start handing out tickets for this, congestion would greatly improve imo. Especially the hot lanes on 167, stupidest idea ever created. Once your stuck behind a slowfuk, your stuck there for good, unless you want $140 ticket for "illegally" crossing double white line. What the fuck kind of law is this?

Sorry..Fuckin end rant/

glad you all agree

Last edited by Walshstl; 12-10-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Move to Texas! We're friendly drivers!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Move to Texas! We're friendly drivers!
fixed
Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257
I could go on and on about this but I just won't cus I will get . But
I think I'll follow your lead... but as long as you're going fast
Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Sounders FC

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx

For like the past week I've been driving to UW from Covington where my parents live (I usually stay in dorms). I take 515 to 900 and then hop on I-5. Had some shitty driver in some old cheap POS car almost sideswipe me...