Questions for Acura

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Great questions guys, keep it up. Been busy all day, will respond to individual posts at another time, but I'm liking some of what I'm hearing.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
1.Why do all Acuras post 07 look like medieval war horses? Do they ever plan on changing their design in coming years?

2. Will they ever venture into the rwd department?

The design and the rwd is what's holding them back from being a top tier company. Then again top tier may not be their goal. Just my
The following users liked this post:
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Why no SH-AWD option for the TSX "Sport" Wagon?
The following 2 users liked this post by Treblig:
civicdrivr (01-05-2012), Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,182 Likes on 4,827 Posts
Since Honda vehicles have been closing the gap in the performance and luxuries (not saying much though), what does Acura plan to do to shake the "more expensive Honda" aura that they have?

Do they have any plans to keep manual transmissions around (preferably in an exciting car) or are they intent on completely alienating their original customer base?

Are they trying to compete with Lexus, Infiniti, BMW and Audi or are they targeting the Buick and Volvo drivers?
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
As far as interior infotainment technology goes, does Acura/Honda have any plans to partner directly with any software/hardware companies?

Like Ford and Microsoft Sync, Kia and Microsoft UVO.

or even coming up with their "own" system

Like Toyota Entune, Hyundai Bluelink, BMW iDrive ConnectedDrive, Audi MMI
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
why have the looks become somewhat like an older persons car. where is a good sporty car, like a rear wheel drive v6?
The following 2 users liked this post by shelite:
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012), thelastaspec (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,051 Likes on 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
As far as interior infotainment technology goes, does Acura/Honda have any plans to partner directly with any software/hardware companies?

Like Ford and Microsoft Sync, Kia and Microsoft UVO.

or even coming up with their "own" system

Like Toyota Entune, Hyundai Bluelink, BMW iDrive ConnectedDrive, Audi MMI

That's a good question, I was thinking of also asking it.
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Dual-clutch transmissions are on the rise among the car manufacturers. Does Acura plan to roll out new transmissions soon, and do they plan to stay faithful to the enthusiasts who still want a proper three-pedal manual transmission?
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jchan2
As mainstream brands (Hyundai/Ford) roll out pricier models and luxury brands (BMW/Mercedes) roll out less expensive models, where does that leave the traditionally in-between Acura? How does Acura plan to fight against this "squeeze" coming from both directions of the market?

How does Acura plan to reach out to the next generation of luxury car buyers, particularly in regards to social media?

EDIT: Does Acura plan to continue importing the TSX Sportwagon with the next-generation TSX (or TSX/TL combined model)? And have Sportwagon sales been meeting internal expectations?

Second this. Many first car buyers started with a "entry" acura and moved up models (integra->rsx->tl).

When I am ready to buy my first new car i will be looking for something safe, quality built/reliable, fuel efficient, and has a "sporty" feel to it. The new lineup is sporty on paper, but looking at it from afar - it does not have the same feel as a rsx or previous generation tl.
Nothing seems to be aimed at 20-35 year old folk. (who want a bit of fun)

Also, Does acura plan on changing their current advertising program/model?
(incorporating more excitement, while getting safety and reliability points across?)
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:20 PM

When is the 7 or 8 speed auto coming out?
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Acura: What ad agency are you under contract with?

If so, end that contract and get with another agency ASAP!!!!

Seriously, Season of Reason?!?!? Bette Midler?!?!? To sell cars?!?!? For crying out loud who greenlighted that?!?!?

...and the "It works with people....it works with cars" commercials....Huh? Athletes changing clothes in time lapse......that is going to sell your cars?!?!?

Acura, why not create LUST for your vehicles when producing a commercial?
...or perhaps your vehicles don't have the merit to stand on their own without some sort of goof or bit about something else to try to tie into them.

Acura, why not follow Jaguar, BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz....heck even those Hyundai Genesis commercials? Look at how they create and build LUST and desire for their product.

Seriously, what exactly is your approach to television advertising?
I'd like to know.
The following 7 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
Ant$ (02-01-2012), civicdrivr (01-06-2012), dallison (08-14-2012), Gfaze (01-07-2012), neuronbob (01-09-2012), Sly Raskal (01-08-2012), thelastaspec (01-06-2012) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Where does Acura "fit in" in terms of the other lux makes.

BMW, Merc, Lexus, Audi, and Infiniti (to an lesser extent) on many levels compete head to head in many categories, and the consumer can clearly see the make/model/market strategy.

Acura on the other hand is a bit of an enigma. It's not quite clear where they fit in/compete, and the consumer seems a bit unaware of Acura's identity, make/model/market.

For many, Acura has become Honda version 2.1. Similar to Honda, but with a slight difference. It appears for a decade more now that Acura has tried multiple different strategies, and many of them "apples and oranges".

Where and what is an Acura, and where is this company actually going?
i couldnt agree more with this statement.
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would Acura ever allow Honda dealers to do basic warranty work beyond simple maintenance for markets that do not have an Acura dealer. I could have sold about 6 cars to friends and family, but the 100 mile drive to get a rattle fixed was prohibitive.
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at the history of Honda/Acura their successes have traditionally started with the innovation of their engines. It appears in the past decade their focus has switched on a couple of occasions and Honda/Acura has found themselves behind in the engine performance department i.e. highest horsepower with smallest engine, greatest torque curve, most fuel efficient.

Does Honda/Acura plan to compete again in the innovation of engines again? If not what is the companies direction or niche in the years to come?
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thelastaspec
Second this. Many first car buyers started with a "entry" acura and moved up models (integra->rsx->tl).

When I am ready to buy my first new car i will be looking for something safe, quality built/reliable, fuel efficient, and has a "sporty" feel to it. The new lineup is sporty on paper, but looking at it from afar - it does not have the same feel as a rsx or previous generation tl.
Nothing seems to be aimed at 20-35 year old folk. (who want a bit of fun)

Also, Does acura plan on changing their current advertising program/model?
(incorporating more excitement, while getting safety and reliability points across?)
I think Acura really has to think about the 20-35 demographic, especially as the Germans come down in price and get serious about building a sub A4/C-Class/3-Series lineup.
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jchan2
I think Acura really has to think about the 20-35 demographic, especially as the Germans come down in price and get serious about building a sub A4/C-Class/3-Series lineup.
I agree. The belief used to be that youd buy a Civic, then Accord, then get into a TL then an RL.

Most people that are making the jump from a Honda to a luxury car seem to be going to BMW or Audi. Acura is Hondas Buick (before the turbos and nice designs).

What segment are they trying to compete in with the upcoming ILX? In the past 10 or so years, its very difficult to see which direction Acura is going. What buyers are they trying to target?
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Big plans not enough $$$

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Will Acura ever build a EVO/STI competitor, or a RWD car that will actually surpass the european cars in luxury and perfomance? maybe even a CTS-V competitor?
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I agree. The belief used to be that youd buy a Civic, then Accord, then get into a TL then an RL.

Most people that are making the jump from a Honda to a luxury car seem to be going to BMW or Audi. Acura is Hondas Buick (before the turbos and nice designs).

What segment are they trying to compete in with the upcoming ILX? In the past 10 or so years, its very difficult to see which direction Acura is going. What buyers are they trying to target?
Agreed- previously I guess people would have gone Civic-Accord-TL-Germans but with the Germans coming downward (and to a lesser extent, the mainstream brands coming upwards), it's getting easier to just jump from an Accord to the Germans (and it'll get even easier when you can lease an A3 or B-Class sedan).

As a follow up, how does Acura plan to deal with the price creeping from the mainstream brands? It's getting to an age where for $30k, you can have either an Accord (or Altima, Optima, Fusion, Malibu, etc) or a TSX, and there are people who cross-shop the two.

A lot of people may ditch the luxury badge and just stick to the mainstream brands forever instead of jumping over into Acura and the luxury market.
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Many automakers are taking a new approach to meet the new CAFE standards. Mazda has been well praised for the new Skyactive program, totally redesigning new engines and transmissions. Subaru has stayed with their trademark AWD systems and still achieve remarkable fuel consumption ratings with reduced friction in drivetrain losses.

Toyota/Lexus has amazing hybrid systems, and GM, Ford, Hyundai/Kia, and the Europeans have reduced the number of cylinders but improved output by turbocharging and direct injecting. It seems like Honda has none of these plans by constantly just carrying over R series, K series and J series engine generation after generation with marginally better fuel consumption and/or output. Honda's hybrids are a joke, where they don't beat the competition in output or fuel consumption. FCX's hydrogen technology isn't accessible to many customers.

Honda has many excellent programs, but they are not accessible to many consumers, what's the game plan to keep customers from going to other showrooms?
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 AM

Why does Dave Marek still have a job?
Sly Raskal (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:21 AM
Team Owner

Thank you everyone for taking the time to not only ask some really great and insightful questions, but for keeping this thread focused. I've compiled the list of questions and will do my best to try to get as many of them answered as I can without ruffling too many feathers.

I fly out tomorrow morning and upon my arrival, I'm having dinner with other Acura/Honda reps from other social sites with the Acura Execs. I really don't know what the setting will be, but this will be one of a few opportunities I'm hoping I will be able to ask these questions.

Aman, to answer your question, I will be attending the show during their press event days (monday and tuesday) and I fly back home on Tuesday afternoon. The show opens for general attendance on Friday IIRC. From what I've seen, my schedule is really tight between the press conference and trying to squeeze in viewing the rest of the floor during my short stay. As much as I want to bring you guys as much info about Acura and Honda as I can, I also want to bring back info and pictures about other brands if at all possible.

In the meanwhile, sit tight and you'll all be hearing from me soon.
The following 5 users liked this post by Sly Raskal:
civicdrivr (01-08-2012), Costco (01-08-2012), Gfaze (01-08-2012), savage (01-08-2012), Treblig (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Slightly OT: It would be great if the AZ members who are going could meet up at the show

What was Acura's reasoning behind prioritizing fuel economy over performance, especially considering much of Acura's loyal fan base of the 90's was formed because of its performance prowess?
Im not sure if your aware but you can take the tunnel bus round trip to the show for like $7. Your insane if you don't go while living in Windsor.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,873 Likes on 3,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Thank you everyone for taking the time to not only ask some really great and insightful questions, but for keeping this thread focused. I've compiled the list of questions and will do my best to try to get as many of them answered as I can without ruffling too many feathers.

I fly out tomorrow morning and upon my arrival, I'm having dinner with other Acura/Honda reps from other social sites with the Acura Execs. I really don't know what the setting will be, but this will be one of a few opportunities I'm hoping I will be able to ask these questions.

Aman, to answer your question, I will be attending the show during their press event days (monday and tuesday) and I fly back home on Tuesday afternoon. The show opens for general attendance on Friday IIRC. From what I've seen, my schedule is really tight between the press conference and trying to squeeze in viewing the rest of the floor during my short stay. As much as I want to bring you guys as much info about Acura and Honda as I can, I also want to bring back info and pictures about other brands if at all possible.

In the meanwhile, sit tight and you'll all be hearing from me soon.
Wow Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Travel safely. Looking forward to your thoughts and pics when you get back.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Yea, about that traveling safe thing....

About a minute into our flight out of Ontario Airport, the #2 engine decided to have a heart attack and spewed fireballs with some loud bangs that shook the plane a little bit. I was a few rows behind the right wing in an aisle seat. I didnt get to see the fireballs, but i did see the flashes of light. We were diverted to LAX to make an emergency landing where we were greeted by firetrucks that checked out the plane to make sure everything was fine upon landing and were then sent to the gate to deplane.

So now my flights have been rerouted and I do not get into Detroit until 11PM tonight which means I wont make it to the dinner with Acura execs. I dont know what is planned for Monday night but i am hoping i can make something happen now or in thr future to still get your questions addressed.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:09 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,873 Likes on 3,776 Posts

Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Holy shit. Glad you're ok.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Aw, that sucks. But glad you are okay.

I don't know if I'm a bit late, but I have a question.
If Acura is striving to be "green" and fuel efficient, yet at the same time be "sporty" why is it that there isn't a RWD drivetrain that uses the torque vectoring system for the rear wheels like for SH-AWD. I would imagine it would have better performance than a FWD car, yet more fuel efficient than SH-AWD. I am aware that there's a new hybrid system that utilizes electronic motors on each wheel to emulate SH-AWD, would that be a viable option for a RWD biased hybrid?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,758 Likes on 802 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you're okay. That sounds like it could have ended badly. I hope you enjoy your time at the car show.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,051 Likes on 2,517 Posts
glad you're OK
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Glad you're ok! Safe travels buddy!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK Raskal. This nervous flyer would have shat his pants.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
just glad everything worked out ok for you Sly.

Have some fun today!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

Sensory Overload!!!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Thanks for the concern by the way guys.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
damn glad to hear your ok! My question: Has acura considered integrating with iPhone where the guts of the car's navi and communications utilize the iphone's software as long as it is linked? imagine google maps, emails, internet, car apps galore, all interfacing through the car's display and siri.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sly, Did you get some of the questions answered by Acura??
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Team Owner

No, but I did summarize why and what went down here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=2849

This doesn't mean that these questions won't get answered, I just need to work with our contacts to figure out another avenue to have this questions addressed.

I wanted to go there prepared, but I didn't expect the schedule to be as tight as it was. This just wasn't the right place to raise these questions. The execs are busy meeting with Media, other execs from other manufacturers, doing interviews, shooting video spots, talking with fans. It was a very challenging situation to be in.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3G of Acura TL was a great design and is still stunning. What Acura should be focusing on is the regular problems with the transmission system. Some people say the transmission is the heart of a car, and I concur with them.

When I'm looking up cars, the first things I favor and check for are the dashboard features:

-Built-in Bluetooth v3.0+ (to allow driver to sync his/her cellular phone to his/her car by simply tap or press the answer button on the steering wheel which I love on the Mazda3 because I hate answering phone calls while I'm operating a vehicle),

-Backup camera with night vision capability,

-Backup censors,

-GPS Navigation system (free live traffic updates) optimized,

-Six (6) airbags,

-Parking assist (like in the Ford Focus which can park itself when put on backup).

***If the new cars being manufactured right now could have a computer maintenance e-mail reminder system that could be linked to Google Mail or Microsoft Windows Live Mail or even Yahoo! Mail so owners or drivers could be really informed of the maintenance required on their vehicles, that'd be awesome.

I know Mercedes Benz, BMW and Lexus already have features like:

-Park assist,

-"Proximity censors" when the vehicle is approaching another stopped car it slows down by itself,

It's amazing how Volvo has been successful at its wileress driverless vehicles. Recently, I've noticed a test or experiment that Volvo conducted in Spain with one trailer truck, two sedans and one SUV approximately 20 feet distance between each other traveling at about 53 mph without any accidents. That was marvelous! I think this kind of technology is vehicles will be very good for businesses with truck fleets, but would require less drivers on the roads. More importantly, it'd be a disastrous news for truck drivers who could be fired from their jobs...

Where there's a profit for the businesses, there's also a loss for the employees.

Another feature that'd be worthwhile and great is to have built-in Android anti-theft system that would allow the owner to unlock his/her car using a similar application like Viper SmartStart or Directed SmartStart apps by Directed Electronics...

And last, the new car computer should be able to pinpoint exactly the location of any problem detected in the vehicle while displaying the exact trouble codes. This would make it easier for auto owners to waste less money at the car dealerships and elsewhere.

Posted from Acurazine.com App for Android
Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
For god sakes, when will we see another desirable coupe?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Why is this thread still stickied when the event was almost 9 months ago?
civicdrivr (08-14-2012)

Quick Reply: Questions for Acura