Question about an S2k that I'm interested in buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question about an S2k that I'm interested in buying

I'm looking for some opinions from the educated and experienced people of this forum. I've found what I think is a pretty good opportunity to own an S2000 for a great price.
Here are the details: 2002, 38K miles, for $10k. Now...there is a catch. The engine and clutch had been replaced at 20k miles under Honda warranty by a Honda dealership. It is located far away from me, so I'd have to board a plane to make this happen.
I'd like the opinion of all members, but especially the many who own S2000's. Is this repair a MAJOR red flag concern, or just a good enough reason for the price to be as low as it is?

I've always wanted an S2000, and I think the prices are going to at least hold steady on the low mileage cars, if not increase in the next couple of years...mainly because Honda quit making the car and currently, they have no plans on replacing it. Plus I could pay for the car with cash, and still have my emergency funds leftover and not feel pinched financially. Please give me your honest opinions. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do we know why the engine was replaced? was it racing or hydrolock? this would make a difference in my book.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Entire engine replaced?!?!?!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a red flad but as long as you get a considerable warranty on it from Honda I think it's worth the shot. However I know they probably wont warranty the clutch but with the engine you should be straight.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
i personally just wouldn't do it.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:58 PM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm, engine and clutch replaced at 20k. Car has 38k. By my math, it'll be due for another engine and clutch in 2k miles.

I would consider it a major red flag, unless the owner can clearly document that the replacement was not due to abusive driving. And the engine better be warrantied by Honda, and you should verify that the warranty transfers and that the owner has not done anything to void said warranty. All-in-all a high-risk proposition on your end.

Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vash337
do we know why the engine was replaced? was it racing or hydrolock? this would make a difference in my book.
I'm not quite sure what hydrolock means, but the seller says that the motor "spun a rod bearing". Sorry, I don't know a lot about cars, but I though it meant that it wasn't getting enough oil in one of the pistons...is that correct?

I haven't asked if there is any remaining warranty on the new engine. I suspect that it came with a 12 month warranty, which would be expired. The car has not been in any accidents, and it looks clean otherwise. I kindof see it as paying 10k and getting a car with only 18k miles on the engine. I would, of course, run a carfax and take the car to a local Honda dealership for inspection before I purchase it.

I just wanted some other opinions too.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by vash337
I think hydrolock is wishful thinking in this case, if it were just the engine maybe, but Honda wouldn't cover it under warranty.

Clutch AND engine is a BIG concern to me. If it were one or the other I think it would be more excusable.

The rear differentials are very weak on those cars, if this car was abused on a track, launched very hard, etc... I would be concerned that it may be a time bomb waiting to go off.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:19 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by bsprinker
I'm not quite sure what hydrolock means, but the seller says that the motor "spun a rod bearing". Sorry, I don't know a lot about cars, but I though it meant that it wasn't getting enough oil in one of the pistons...is that correct?

I haven't asked if there is any remaining warranty on the new engine. I suspect that it came with a 12 month warranty, which would be expired. The car has not been in any accidents, and it looks clean otherwise. I kindof see it as paying 10k and getting a car with only 18k miles on the engine. I would, of course, run a carfax and take the car to a local Honda dealership for inspection before I purchase it.

that story is BS
Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Stay away
Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Stay away
I really do appreciate all of the opinions given, and maybe the fact that both the clutch AND the engine were replaced at the same time is a bug red flag, but can someone that actually owns an s2k give their experienced opinion? Either way, you guys definitely have convinced me that something is not right.

I think I will move on to the next car, unless I see written proof that no abuse took place AND there is remaining warranty on the engine. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I really do appreciate all of the opinions given, and maybe the fact that both the clutch AND the engine were replaced at the same time is a bug red flag, but can someone that actually owns an s2k give their experienced opinion? Either way, you guys definitely have convinced me that something is not right.

I think I will move on to the next car, unless I see written proof that no abuse took place AND there is remaining warranty on the engine. Thanks.
I owned a S2k, love the car had it for a little over a year. I don't see how or why that would make my advice about this particular car any more or less relevant.

As to the written proof, I don't know what difference it will make, would it be worth it to take legal action against whoever issued the written proof if things went sour? Litigation is expensive and a contract is only as good the parties who sign them.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iTimmy
I owned a S2k, love the car had it for a little over a year. I don't see how or why that would make my advice about this particular car any more or less relevant.
My statement was from the thought that many people take a more of a particular interest in a car when they own it or owned it in the past. ie. They might be aware of common problems plagued by that particular car or even certain problems that can occur to a car if it driven harshly. I was only asking to see if real owners or previous owners would echo the already unified answer of caution.

...I didn't mean my comments to come across any other way. My apologies if they did.

Last edited by bsprinker; 03-05-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: add information
Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

My statement was from the thought that many people take a more of a particular interest in a car when they own it or owned it in the past. ie. They might be aware of common problems plagued by that particular car or even certain problems that can occur to a car if it driven harshly. I was only asking to see if real owners or previous owners would echo the already unified answer of caution.

...I didn't mean my comments to come across any other way. My apologies if they did.
no misunderstandings. If it seems too good to be true it probably is; if there is a doubt there is no doubt.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I think you will be able to find a car with the parts it came with for about the same price. Of course it will have more miles. This will remove some questions about history.

There is a long thread about S2k's available by using search. You might also go to s2ki.com which has a large, nationwide for sale section and other information.

Last edited by MR1; 03-06-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The Official S2000 Thread--click

I am also an S2000 owner. In fact, I have a 2002. I can assure you that it is distinctly uncommon for both engine and clutch to be replaced on a car with that few miles (20k when it happened). I have some difficulty buying that it was a warranty issue without documentation of that assertion. This combination is classic for abuse. "Spun a rod" to me means a previous owner did a mechanical overrev.

Early 2002 S2000s also had an oil jet ("banjo") bolt issue which could lead to oil leaks and engine damage, and in fact there was a TSB on that. If just the engine were replaced, the banjo bolt issue is buyable (again with some documentation) and the new engine is likely just fine. With the clutch, too, I dunno....

I would only buy this car if it were local to me AND the story was documented to check out. I would NOT fly out to buy this S2000, there are likely others local to you in decent shape. I strongly recommend going to www.s2ki.com, going to your regional forum or to the classifieds, and look for cars local to you. If you are going to buy at a distance, go to that regional forum and post that you are looking at a particular car and the group will a) vouch for the owner or b) go by and look at the car for you. Like AZ, s2ki is a reasonable friendly community that will help others in that kind of need.

The right S2000 will change your driving life forever, and for the positive!

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-06-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
in a porsche in a honda maybe.

The porsches have ims issues and that kills the motor. As long as the car is under warranty pna foots the bill. If it's out of warranty, 12-17k for repalcement.
These cars are just as desireable with a new motor as an original one.

If you can get a receipt that shows all info from honda stating it was warranty, i would say go for it.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Racer

neuronbob,

This is where I get a little confused....The owner answered my email and stated that the "motor" was replaced. He didn't specify that it was not the engine. He then went on to mention the "oil jet" issue that you described. But then he also brought up a rod bearing into the history of the car. So I think that there are ALOT more questions that need to be asked, and because of the long distance, I feel at this point it's not worth the hassle.

As you and many others have stated, if the car was local, that'd be one thing, but I don't want to spend $ and time and fly out of state for THIS one.

I'd rather pay $2k more and get a car with it's original parts. And I hope those deals will be out there for a similar price. I'm just afraid that because the car isn't manufactured anymore, the prices of the low-mileage s2k will hold steady and eventually rise. I don't want to miss out on the bottom of the market on these cars. I've had some significant seat time in one and I know how amazing the car is......I know that if I don't pick one up now, I'll be kicking myself in 5 or 10 years. And these prices seem about as low as I can imagine them. I am going to let this one go and move on.

Thanks for the information guys.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The Official S2000 Thread--click

I am also an S2000 owner. In fact, I have a 2002. I can assure you that it is distinctly uncommon for both engine and clutch to be replaced on a car with that few miles (20k when it happened). I have some difficulty buying that it was a warranty issue without documentation of that assertion. This combination is classic for abuse. "Spun a rod" to me means a previous owner did a mechanical overrev.

Early 2002 S2000s also had an oil jet ("banjo") bolt issue which could lead to oil leaks and engine damage, and in fact there was a TSB on that. If just the engine were replaced, the banjo bolt issue is buyable (again with some documentation) and the new engine is likely just fine. With the clutch, too, I dunno....

I would only buy this car if it were local to me AND the story was documented to check out. I would NOT fly out to buy this S2000, there are likely others local to you in decent shape. I strongly recommend going to www.s2ki.com, going to your regional forum or to the classifieds, and look for cars local to you. If you are going to buy at a distance, go to that regional forum and post that you are looking at a particular car and the group will a) vouch for the owner or b) go by and look at the car for you. Like AZ, s2ki is a reasonable friendly community that will help others in that kind of need.

The right S2000 will change your driving life forever, and for the positive!
S2Ki FTW
The retaing rings on the AP1 are notorius for failing. But this sounds like exactly what was mentioned a mechanical overrev. Basically it means the driver abused it. I would pass. There are still plenty out there. there are still about 50 nationwide that are "new"/never been titled. I got an 08 new about 2 months ago and the car is amazing.
HIT S2Ki!