put a deposit on a bmw 330 and.......(longish)

Old 05-01-2001, 02:26 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put a deposit on a bmw 330 and.......(longish)

......now i'm reading all these rumors about a 6 speed manual on the CL-S! ARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!

this was the most difficult decision i ever had to make. right now i have a 6 speed legend LS coupe, which has been a fantastic car. for those unfamiliar, the 6 speed was a very rare option in 94 and 95. The 6 speed combined with the 230hp GEN II engine is a sweet combo. but i've been feeling the "new car blues" for the past few months. i researched this decision more than any other decision i've ever made. i test drove both the CL-S and the 330Ci several times, and these are my conclusions (they'll sound familiar to those that frequent here and the bmw boards).

Speed:
seat-of-the pants feel supports what the magazines say. both cars are too close to call. the outcome will pretty much depend on if either car has mods, or more likely, road conditions and the skill level of the driver. Neither car is significantly faster than my current car, if they're faster at all.

Handling:
Out of the box, BMW wins. no doubt about it, the handling of the 330 is what sold me on the car. near 50/50 weight distribution and RWD means you can pivot the car car like a lever with gentle applications of the throttle. I've never driven a car that just "drives" so beautifully. The CL-S handles lots better than my legend, but the FWD will always limit the way it "feels" to drive it, no matter how many mods you add to it (springs, sways, etc).

Price:
*phew!*. since i don't own a house, this car is the most expensive (overpriced) thing i've ever bought. "what, you want a seats in that car? that'll be extra. steering wheel? extra. cd player? extra." BMW ought to be ashamed for charging for xenons, upgraded audio, power seats, etc...., all which come standard with the CL-S.

Transmission:
Now i get to the nitty gritty. The reason i didn't have a CL-S the day they came out was cause of the auto. I've never had a automatic car before. Driving the CL-S just wasn't "fun" to me, no matter how many sweet noises it made (love the vtec!). no auto can ever anticipate a turn ahead, or slowing traffic. the auto in the CL-S sucks the life out of the car. with 260hp, you guys should be beating up on every BMW right up to the M3. You should be rollin' with the S4's, too. it's amazing what BMW has done with 225hp, and it's amazing to me that the CL-s is not faster than it is. I truly believe that with the manual tranny, right out of the box, the CL-S can be in the upper 5's, 0-60. with some headers and CAI, you should be in the low to mid 5's. hopefully, we'll get to see soon

In the end, i couldn't bear to spend lots of money for something i wouldn't be entirely happy with. so i chose to spend even more money and switch sides to the BMW camp, after having 3 acuras. I had a little bit of anxiety after hearing this latest manual transmission rumor, but it's just that.....a rumour, apparently from a not-so-credible source within acura. I'm still banking on the fact that the CL-S has the foot-operated parking brake, which makes a manual unlikely, plus the fact that they sold so few manual legends, that they'll be "gun-shy" about investing lots of money getting this powertrain EPA certified. If the manual tranny DOES happen, well, then i'll re-evaluate things at that time, but i'm not cancelling my order for the 330 based on this.

i wish you all luck with your CL-S', it's a great car, and i'll check in from time to time.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:34 AM
w.t.f., mate?

What color 330ci?

The blue color is money!!!!

------------------
_-Phil-_!
2K1 #10,029 Satin Silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia with Navi! Mods : XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~3M Reflective Tint(37%) tint~Hiper Hibrid Plasma "Xenon" road lamps & high-beams~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~Upgraded cupholder on the way!!!~
Old 05-01-2001, 02:37 AM
10th Gear

I was lookin' seriously at the Steel Gray, Topaz Blue, and this new color, Sapphire Black, which is black with some silver/bluish sparkles in it. I decided to go with the sapphire black and tanin (red!) interior. Looks sweet with the aluminum trim. Also has Sport Package, Moonroof, Harmon/Kardon, Xenons, and CD changer.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:39 AM
w.t.f., mate?

cool...congrats.

Have you seen that new silver color? it's almost like a...chrome paint job!!

Good stuff!

------------------
_-Phil-_!
2K1 #10,029 Satin Silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia with Navi! Mods : XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~3M Reflective Tint(37%) tint~Hiper Hibrid Plasma "Xenon" road lamps & high-beams~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~Upgraded cupholder on the way!!!~
Old 05-01-2001, 03:43 AM
Advanced

Similar dilemma, but I needed 2 cars so I got both, hence the name. 2 business cars, wife and me.

------------------
CLS Blk/Blk, Wife ripping off
Old 05-01-2001, 04:04 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by debaser:
I was lookin' seriously at the Steel Gray, Topaz Blue, and this new color, Sapphire Black, which is black with some silver/bluish sparkles in it. I decided to go with the sapphire black and tanin (red!) interior. Looks sweet with the aluminum trim. Also has Sport Package, Moonroof, Harmon/Kardon, Xenons, and CD changer. </font>
Dude, Sapphire Black with Red interior and brushed aluminum is FUCKING DOPE!!! That will be a beautiful machine man...

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
Comptech Sways
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.94 seconds
V-1 Hardwired
Old 05-01-2001, 04:24 AM
Powered By HONDA

wow i never known that legend has 6 speed manual....never do...but glad to konw it has..always feel bmw 330 is way too expensive...

------------------
2001 Acura Red CL Type S.
1997 Honda Civic EX.
!!!! VTEC Power !!!!
Powered by HONDA
Powered by MUGEN

typescl@yahoo.com
Old 05-01-2001, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

... I had a little bit of anxiety after hearing this latest manual transmission rumor, but it's just that.....a rumour, apparently from a not-so-credible source within acura. </font>
I understand your reasoning, but do you know something about Mr Elliot that I don't? How is an executive VP of Honda a "not-so-credible source?" To me, the fact that this "rumor" originated from within Honda itself is basically proof that it WILL HAPPEN. I could be wrong, of course, but I just can't believe that Honda would publicly state this and then not do it?!? It just seems like that'd be a shot in the foot.

just my .02
Old 05-01-2001, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Expensive choice, but cant disagree. Good luck. What was the total price for the car? and you are getting a coupe, right?

------------------
---------------------
'01 CLS Satin Silver w/Black, Navi-less, spoiler,
Tint 15%, Polarqs M6s, Desired Mods: 18" Wheels/tires, Springs/Sways, CAI, subwoofer.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Debaser, You will not regret your decision! Acura offers the best bang for the buck. With extra $$$, you get the one of the most fun to drive car (subjective). Furthermore, The coupe drives like a tank. Even though, it's not fast for the price, I often caught myself shouting "weee" on twisty road. Anyway, you won't go wrong either way.

I have my 328ci for 15000 miles, and it drives flawlessly. I won't take tit silver if I were you. There are too many of those in the road. Steel grey is sharp. Change the rims, and the coupe will be the subject of attraction whenever you go!. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2001, 04:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Similarly to what I posted about the CLK. Next year the E46 car is getting a face lift and I am pretty sure some upgrades, like things that are now options, will be standard I expect. I am not sure if you knew that, or if that is even an issue for you.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-01-2001, 08:31 PM
10th Gear

the only thing i know about mr. elliot is what i've read here and on other boards. Isn't he the guy that got the TL and CL confused? I based my comment on what i read here. Again, i hope i'm wrong!

As far as the manual trans for 2002, I don't think acura is beyond spreading fear, uncertainty, doubt, and even deliberate misinformation at times to keep their competitors (toyota, nissan, etc) guessing. maybe the MT for 2002 is like vaporware, always to be announced, never to be actually made. they can get out of it gracefully if need be by saying that in the end it wasn't "cost effective". In any event, soon enough, we'll know!

Big_pimp: i got about 1300 off MSRP, mats included, on the coupe. got the 5.9% financing too, which sealed the deal.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:39 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
You can't go wrong with either car. But if you heart is set on a manual tranny, go with the BMW. Unless you have the patience to wait and see if Acura is gonna do the manual tranny too......

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 05-01-2001, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

know exactly wat you talken bout ~!!
only thing i dont like bout the $-TYPE
is dat they dont have in manual ~!!

------------------
2001 CL TYPE-$
Black on Black
TV/DVD/VCR Installed
Fully Equipped System
Eibach Springs
Lo-Jack
Dark Tint All Around
Old 05-01-2001, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The CL may/may not get a 6 speed but it'll still be a fwd car.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Toyo T1S Proxys 235/45/17
SSR Competition wheels 17x8
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 05-01-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro

Price:
*phew!*. since i don't own a house, this car is the most expensive (overpriced) thing i've ever bought. "what, you want a seats in that car? that'll be extra. steering wheel? extra. cd player? extra." BMW ought to be ashamed for charging for xenons, upgraded audio, power seats, etc...., all which come standard with the CL-S.
</font>
Look at what the Brits get to put on thier 330Ci's, these are all options

Automatic Gearbox £1220
Maglia Cloth/Leather Upholstery including Maple Wood Trim £770
Gran Tourismo Cloth/Leather Upholstery (1) £550
Maglia Cloth/Leather Upholstery including Maple Wood Trim (2) £770
Leather Upholstery £1200
Jacquard Bi-Colour Seat Fabric (2) £320
Mosaico Extended Leather Upholstery including Myrtle Wood Trim (3) £1840
Peach Lifestyle Upholstery £420
Alloy Wheels - Select only one:
Alloy Wheels - 7.5/8.5J x 17, M Double-Spoke Style £390
Alloy Wheels - 7J x 17, Star-Spoke Style £200
Alloy Wheels - 8/8.5J x 18, M V Spoke Style £690
Alloy Wheels - 7J x 17, Radial-Spoke Style No Cost Option
A selection of options available for this model:
Anthracite Headlining £150
Front Centre Arm-Rest £125
Maple Wood Trim £200
High Gloss Shadow Line £315
High Gloss Interior Trim No Cost Option
Hi-Fi - Harman Kardon Hi-Fi System £650
Hi-Fi - BMW Professional RDS Radio Cassette £410
Hi-Fi - BMW Hi-Fi Speaker System £470
Hi-Fi - BMW Mini Disc Player £295
Hi-Fi - BMW Business CD RDS £100
Hi-Fi - BMW 6 Disc CD Changer £250
Tracker - Monitor™ £434
Towbar with Detachable Ball Joint £695
Telephone - Motorola V.3690 (3) £830
Telephone - GSM Cordless Telephone (3) £830
Ski Bag £150
Seats - Third Three Point Rear Seat Belt and Head Restraint £75
Seats - Front Seats Heating £320
Seats - Driver and Front Passenger Lumbar Support £295
Seats - BMW Sports Seats £465
Xenon Headlamps £545
Windscreen Climate Comfort including Graduated Tint £190
Voice Control System £330
Tyre Pressure Control £280
Tracker - Retrieve™ £269
Roof - Electric Glass Sunroof £895
Rear Side-Airbags £250
Radio Navigation System £1400
Polished Myrtle Wood Trim £200
On-Board Monitor with TV £1650
No Model Inscription No Cost Option
Navigation System including TV and Teletext £2195
Matt Graphite Interior Trim No Cost Option
Graduated Tinted Windscreen £70
Floor Mats £75
Electric Folding Exterior Mirrors £190
Electric Rear Window Blind £230

Old 05-01-2001, 10:50 PM
Old timer

With BMW it seems you order a chassis for $30k and then build a car with a bucket of parts each labeled between $500-$2000.

Btw, the blue color on the CL-S is sweet too.

Congrats on the BMW (did you buy it yet?) I'm sure it'll be loads of fun and it's still a nice status symbol to boot!

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-02-2001, 11:22 AM
Meat Popsicle

You should keep your Acura and get a house.
;-)

------------------
lilfeat
01 CLS Red No Spoiler, No
Nav, No Payments