Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

Project "Round and Brown" Cuckmasters in Full Effect: rockstar143 Edition

Notices

Project "Round and Brown" Cuckmasters in Full Effect: rockstar143 Edition

 
Old 07-13-2017, 03:42 PM
  #201  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,404 Likes on 3,313 Posts
You're always so mean to thoiboi. No wonder he has self esteem issues and gets bullied at school.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 03:44 PM
  #202  
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 5,879
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
Looking like there's more to it than just a cleaning...
I may order one...cheap enough and probably and likely to help clear some of my codes.
So why people buy a new PCV valve? --> PICS
PCV isn't the idle valve, just FYI. They are definitely two different things. PCV issues would show themselves with burning oil and fouled plugs. Could definitely be a thing but it's not the same as the idle valve.

Idle valve is basically a mini throttle body that engages under computer control to regulate air intake when...well...idle. It can (read will) get gummed up. S2k has the same thing so you already know this...sorry brah.

Originally Posted by cu2wagon View Post
Now that you've fixed the short in the tail lights, there's probably a bad ground in the engine.

Wait. This sounds familiar...
Bad ground on critical component? Not a flaw, that's a feature on VAG products.
SamDoe1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:47 PM
  #203  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
You're always so mean to thoiboi. No wonder he has self esteem issues and gets bullied at school.
But you're the one who bullies him at school
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 03:49 PM
  #204  
Mi Boosta
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,786
Received 1,608 Likes on 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo View Post
But you're the one who gropes him at school
TylerT is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by TylerT:
1StGenCL (07-15-2017), Majofo (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:51 PM
  #205  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
6 more to 5k posts.. and on your 10 year anniversary.
Slow your roll.
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 03:52 PM
  #206  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
I remember when Justn was going to hit 50k posts or some shizz.. he went MIA bc thinking of something good for his 50k posts.
Then he got high.. came back weeks later like... sup brahs?!?!?! oh wait.. fuck.
Majofo is offline  
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 PM
  #207  
Moderator
 
cu2wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dirty H-Town, Amerikkka
Posts: 21,738
Received 4,432 Likes on 3,139 Posts
Then deleted the post and went MIA some more. posted. deleted. lost. posted. deleted. lost.

so looser.
cu2wagon is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:58 PM
  #208  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 38,129
Received 5,872 Likes on 4,712 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
6 more to 5k posts.. and on your 10 year anniversary.
Slow your roll.
Meanwhile.....
thoiboi is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 03:58 PM
  #209  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 38,129
Received 5,872 Likes on 4,712 Posts
Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Then deleted the post and went MIA some more. posted. deleted. lost. posted. deleted. lost.

so looser.
That was pretty lame...
thoiboi is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:00 PM
  #210  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,404 Likes on 3,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo View Post
But you're the one who bullies him at school
that's only because I deserve his lunch money. And he dresses like a loser. And his mom makes him take gymnastics.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:01 PM
  #211  
Moderator
 
cu2wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dirty H-Town, Amerikkka
Posts: 21,738
Received 4,432 Likes on 3,139 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
that's only because I deserve his lunch money. And he dresses like a loser. And his mom makes him take gymnastics.
Like his clothes are too big for him and they're baggy?
cu2wagon is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM
  #212  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
*looser
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM
  #213  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
Hope he didn't copy your spelling test
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:04 PM
  #214  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,404 Likes on 3,313 Posts
No, it's all knock off brand shit, straight from china. His fucking Le Vi's jeans, and his Nikey hats, and his Addidass shoes...
TacoBello is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM
  #215  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
I've been looking for a nice pair of Addiddass
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM
  #216  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
oh nvm.. you said Addidass..
kick his ass
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:19 PM
  #217  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,404 Likes on 3,313 Posts
Kind of sounds like "I did ass". Seems suiting in a thread about round and brown cars
TacoBello is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM
  #218  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 38,129
Received 5,872 Likes on 4,712 Posts
Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Like his clothes are too big for him and they're baggy?
Originally Posted by TacoBello
No, it's all knock off brand shit, straight from china. His fucking Le Vi's jeans, and his Nikey hats, and his Addidass shoes...
I take great offense to both of these...

thoiboi is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:25 PM
  #219  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
ironic that he used the tongue fuck smilie..
probably redtext homersimpsongrabass smilie follow-up..
probably
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 PM
  #220  
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
CLtotheTL32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte
Age: 30
Posts: 35,841
Received 8,610 Likes on 5,765 Posts
CLtotheTL32 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 01:15 AM
  #221  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
Probablydefinitely ass cancer
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 AM
  #222  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,717
Received 14,039 Likes on 10,432 Posts
i'ma delete this thread
justnspace is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 07:46 AM
  #223  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
KaMLuNg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Age: 36
Posts: 15,446
Received 926 Likes on 674 Posts
the circle jerk turned gang bang went off the deep end...
KaMLuNg is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 AM
  #224  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,169
Received 14,923 Likes on 11,111 Posts
Sam, I am having a hard time finding the idle control valve on the A3...
no, I didn't know the difference.
I read up on the PCV though and they say if you run the car, and pull the oil cap and there's a LOT of suction, that is fuxored. Which is the case.
My idle is odd...it bounces 600-800 and died on me this morning...then drove it and it sat at 900-1000 but kinda surging.

I was considering doing plugs because I think they have never been done...1 coil pack has some burned/corrosive markings on it...I swapped 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 to see if misfires follow and I checked today and I'm basically down to JUST P0171 code. What makes me think it's never been touched is the plastic cover was stuck on pretty hard, and no indication of hand prints in all the oil residue. Also, all 4 clips broke on the coil pack harness trying to remove them from 185K and being hot and getting brittle. Ironically that happened on the S2000 too.

I took off the PCV yesterday to clean it...there's a tamper resistant hose clip that was a BIATCH to get off...ended up breaking the hose and discovering a cracked vacuum line too. I electrical taped, wrapped in black mastic, then electrical tape again on both counts...solid fix.
I have to constantly remind myself that it's a beater and I'm not going to pour a ton of money into it. I just want to try and rid it of CEL and get it truly running and looking decently. It's a hoot to drive, oddly considering the power and refinement I'm used to. It's a solid car, German cars are...and a totally different feel from the S2000 AND the V Waggin'.

I may still do the plugs...definitely doing the oil...but I realize now anything I touch will dissolve in my hands so I'm only doing them if I have time to truly address and it'll improve the experience. I think one axle boot must be torn...I hear CV clunking...also a slight vibration at some speeds which might be wheel related, who knows. I was SO close to getting those S5 wheels from a guy with usable tires but feel like I want to make sure the car is worth putting more money into and reliable enough before doing that. Registered it yesterday, which hurt...but c'est la vie!

rockstar143 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
JT4 (07-17-2017), SuperTrooper169 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 AM
  #225  
Steve
iTrader: (7)
 
BreezyTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Wisco
Age: 31
Posts: 2,898
Received 447 Likes on 349 Posts
Some degreaser and wash will help you find the vacuum leaks!!!
BreezyTL is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:24 AM
  #226  
Senior Moderator
 
fsttyms1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Appleton WI
Age: 44
Posts: 81,357
Received 3,005 Likes on 2,085 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL View Post
Some degreaser and wash will help you find the vacuum leaks!!!
Then with the motor running, get a can of carb cleaner and spray around all the vacuum lines and where they attach. If the idle changes you found a leak.
fsttyms1 is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
KaMLuNg (07-14-2017), rockstar143 (07-14-2017), SamDoe1 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:33 AM
  #227  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
KaMLuNg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Age: 36
Posts: 15,446
Received 926 Likes on 674 Posts
that cracked vacuum line might be it...
KaMLuNg is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:06 AM
  #228  
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 5,879
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
Sam, I am having a hard time finding the idle control valve on the A3...
no, I didn't know the difference.
I read up on the PCV though and they say if you run the car, and pull the oil cap and there's a LOT of suction, that is fuxored. Which is the case.
My idle is odd...it bounces 600-800 and died on me this morning...then drove it and it sat at 900-1000 but kinda surging.

I was considering doing plugs because I think they have never been done...1 coil pack has some burned/corrosive markings on it...I swapped 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 to see if misfires follow and I checked today and I'm basically down to JUST P0171 code. What makes me think it's never been touched is the plastic cover was stuck on pretty hard, and no indication of hand prints in all the oil residue. Also, all 4 clips broke on the coil pack harness trying to remove them from 185K and being hot and getting brittle. Ironically that happened on the S2000 too.

I took off the PCV yesterday to clean it...there's a tamper resistant hose clip that was a BIATCH to get off...ended up breaking the hose and discovering a cracked vacuum line too. I electrical taped, wrapped in black mastic, then electrical tape again on both counts...solid fix.
I have to constantly remind myself that it's a beater and I'm not going to pour a ton of money into it. I just want to try and rid it of CEL and get it truly running and looking decently. It's a hoot to drive, oddly considering the power and refinement I'm used to. It's a solid car, German cars are...and a totally different feel from the S2000 AND the V Waggin'.

I may still do the plugs...definitely doing the oil...but I realize now anything I touch will dissolve in my hands so I'm only doing them if I have time to truly address and it'll improve the experience. I think one axle boot must be torn...I hear CV clunking...also a slight vibration at some speeds which might be wheel related, who knows. I was SO close to getting those S5 wheels from a guy with usable tires but feel like I want to make sure the car is worth putting more money into and reliable enough before doing that. Registered it yesterday, which hurt...but c'est la vie!
PCV is positive crankcase vent valve, it's used to make sure that as the engine spins and oil gets hot and splashes and any combustion gas that goes into the crank case, it equalizes the pressure in the block. Eventually it will get gummed up and you should just replace it. Most of the time they are crappy plastic and not worth cleaning. Did fixing the vac line help the issue at all?

I've never worked on the 2.0T motor but from a quick google...it's #8 in this pic.



Vibe at speed can definitely be attributed to CV issues. If the vibe gets worse under acceleration, it's CV. If it goes up or down based on direction of turn, it's probably a wheel bearing.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1 View Post
Then with the motor running, get a can of carb cleaner and spray around all the vacuum lines and where they attach. If the idle changes you found a leak.
This. Works awesome.
SamDoe1 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 10:32 AM
  #229  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,169
Received 14,923 Likes on 11,111 Posts
Thanks Sam...
every search I have of the A3 though specifically seems to link idle valve with the pcv. Odd...
I touched it yesterday and cleaned it up and it seems worse today. Also, tried the test for the pcv to see if it's doing it's job..with car on, remove oil cap and the suction on it was surreal.

So I think I'm going to change that.
Thanks though, I'll search for that item you pointed out on mine specifically. The Idle control.
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 10:34 AM
  #230  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,169
Received 14,923 Likes on 11,111 Posts
Fatty, just stopped by my storage unit and found my carb cleaner and berryman...gonna give that a whirl. Thank you.
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 10:38 AM
  #231  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 38,129
Received 5,872 Likes on 4,712 Posts
J I think.youre misinterpreting what Sam was suggesting. Replace the PCV out right, that's like your culprit. That's what I was posting about yesterday. It's cheap insurance . I don't think it's part of the Idle control either
thoiboi is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:53 AM
  #232  
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 5,879
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
Thanks Sam...
every search I have of the A3 though specifically seems to link idle valve with the pcv. Odd...
I touched it yesterday and cleaned it up and it seems worse today. Also, tried the test for the pcv to see if it's doing it's job..with car on, remove oil cap and the suction on it was surreal.

So I think I'm going to change that.
Thanks though, I'll search for that item you pointed out on mine specifically. The Idle control.
If the PCV is stuck in the open position, you will get a ton of suction but remember it is designed to do this at some point as it has an open position to begin with. If it is stuck in the closed position then you'd get excess crank pressure and gummy build up in the oil filler cap area. It's a cheap part though right? Replacing it can't hurt.
SamDoe1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:57 AM
  #233  
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 5,879
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
J I think.youre misinterpreting what Sam was suggesting. Replace the PCV out right, that's like your culprit. That's what I was posting about yesterday. It's cheap insurance . I don't think it's part of the Idle control either
Kind of. I think he should replace the PCV anyway (since it's not worth cleaning) AND clean out the idle valve. Rough idle can be caused by either and cleaning the idle valve is pretty much free other than the cost of some brake cleaner and WD40. If there's a vacuum leak, he'll find it with the carb cleaner and can fix that too. The root of the problem seems to be a lean condition so somewhere, there's unmetered air getting into the system. Can only come from a few areas...

J, if you clean the idle valve make DAMN SURE that it's 100% DRY before reinstalling it and starting it up. Fumes from brake cleaner and WD40 are incredibly flammable and can cause an epic backfire if it's not totally dry before you put it back in. Another thing to check with that high of mileage is the intake manifold gasket. You can do the same thing with the spraying the carb cleaner in that area to check that out too.
SamDoe1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:20 AM
  #234  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,169
Received 14,923 Likes on 11,111 Posts
Thanks guys, your opinions and knowledge are invaluable to me...
I appreciate it.
German is kinda scary but at the end of the day, it's a car. I have arms (can you milk me Greg?)...
I can do this.
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 11:49 AM
  #235  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,169
Received 14,923 Likes on 11,111 Posts
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 12:07 PM
  #236  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,404 Likes on 3,313 Posts
Someone needs to photoshop that grill on
TacoBello is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 12:49 PM
  #237  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 84,546
Received 10,333 Likes on 7,575 Posts
Sam assplaining was a PCV valve is to J..
Majofo is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 12:54 PM
  #238  
Steve
iTrader: (7)
 
BreezyTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Wisco
Age: 31
Posts: 2,898
Received 447 Likes on 349 Posts
Stop taking pictures and put the grille on!!! Resume pictures after installed.
BreezyTL is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM
  #239  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 67,169
Received 14,923 Likes on 11,111 Posts

Yeah, when I'm done working and hanging with my daughter.
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 PM
  #240  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 38,129
Received 5,872 Likes on 4,712 Posts
Daughter will still be there... Grill first!!!!
thoiboi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.