Procedure to: Buy car in different state; take back to home state?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:06 PM
'02 S2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procedure to: Buy car in different state; take back to home state?

Hey guys, this is my first time buying my own car and wasn't sure how to approach and prepare to buy a car from a different state, and was hoping to get some advice/help from you guys.

I'm planning on picking up a S2000 in Georgia . I live in Louisiana. I plan on flying over there to pick it up and paying for it with a Cashiers Check from a private owner. What should I expect in terms of title, registration, taxes, and tag?

Do I get the title transferred while I'm in Georgia? What about the Registration and taxes? Usually a seller has to remove their license plate before selling, so would I have to drive back to Louisiana without a plate? I'm also pretty concerned about taxes, which state do I pay the taxes?

Thanks for any help guys! I plan on picking up the S next week!!! WHOOO!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It varies by state, but usually you would pay for a transfer/temp plate (out of state tag) in Georgia (either a paper you stick on the back window or a cardboard license plate or something). The title is signed and notarized by seller (and most likely, you, the buyer, also), but the transfer isn't completed until you go back to LA. You'll probably need proof of insurance to get this stuff.

When you get back to LA, you transfer it however you would in that state into your name with the signed title and pay for the registration and taxes however its done in LA.

Good luck with the transfer and have a safe and fun drive back to LA.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM
'02 S2000

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
It varies by state, but usually you would pay for a transfer/temp plate (out of state tag) in Georgia (either a paper you stick on the back window or a cardboard license plate or something). The title is signed and notarized by seller (and most likely, you, the buyer, also), but the transfer isn't completed until you go back to LA. You'll probably need proof of insurance to get this stuff.

When you get back to LA, you transfer it however you would in that state into your name with the signed title and pay for the registration and taxes however its done in LA.

Thanks for the helpful information!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call your local DMVand tell them you are going to buy a car in Georgia. They can tell you exactly what to do.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno

Bingo!! I bought my RL in Georgia... they gave me a paper tag and i drove back to Virginia where I showed proof of insurance and had the title swapped into my name.

Be sure you get the title from the dealer, they might try to send it to the bank if you finance it.

I had to have the title in hand at DMV to register and DMV sent the new title to the bank for me.

I had to pay tax, title, tags, and county taxes back here in Va. Dont forget the local guys, they get a little worked up. LoL

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Instructor

I bought my car in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Danvers</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Massachusetts</st1:State></st1:place>; the whole process took about two weeks. The dealer took care of everything, registering the car, the insurance, and my plates. The wait and the drive to pick it up were<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>, but that 4 hour drive back using 306HP was a dream.
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Would I do it again? Absolutely, my motto is, you gotta go where the deals are.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Zippee
Call your local DMVand tell them you are going to buy a car in Georgia. They can tell you exactly what to do.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Let the owner go to his/her DMV website and print up a DMV certified bill of sale with all the correct info. All you need to do is pay for the vehicle, match the info on the title with the info on the bill of sale. Go to your local DMV, get a bill of sale for your dmv, copy the info from his bill of sale to your form. Give both your state and his printed bill of sale to your dmv, along with the registration/title form. Enjoy your new ride. Just make sure that key info like vin, names, signatures, and address match up.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I bought my TL from a guy in KY. Here's what I did on my end:

-Georgia does not issue temporary plates for private sales. You drive home with no tag. As long as you have a bill of sale (and the title, if it's in hand) then when you get pulled over, you're good to go. Check if LA issues temp plates.
-You pay for registration and tag as soon as you get home. Taxes, depend on when LA wants them (in GA, it's your birthday).
-If they have title in hand, you should be getting it with the car. If not, you should be going to their bank and talking with them. Don't take their word that they'll go pay off the title and send it to you.
-Make sure you put insurance on it before you go.

http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/omvf...9?OpenDocument

http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/omvf...0?OpenDocument

http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/omvf...d?OpenDocument

It's probably best to call.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You pay the sales tax in the state you buy the car in You are given a temp registration, you get your own insurance and you drive it back to your own state. Now when you get to your state you register the car by showing them your bill of sale. If their sales tax is equal to or less than that of the state you bought the car in, you're good to go, if it's more, you pay only the difference. If it's a lower percentage than that of the state you bought the car in, you're out of luck...no refunds.

That's generally the way it works.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
You pay the sales tax in the state you buy the car in

No. Check your facts. Generally sales tax is paid to the state the car will be registered in, NOT the state the car is purchased.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Here's just one link to get you started...there's plenty more out there if you google "Buy out of state car sales tax".

http://www.wisegeek.com/do-i-have-to...ying-a-car.htm

Currently, in the US, there are five states that don’t have sales tax. These are Delaware, Alaska, Oregon, New Hampshire and Montana. However, before one thinks of heading to one of these states to purchase a car, one should know that taxes will be assessed in the state where the car is initially registered. Thus if a Californian purchases a car in Oregon, he or she will have to pay sales tax when registering the car in their home state.

The only way to avoid paying the tax is by registering the car in the state where one purchases it, if the state assesses no sales tax. This is actually fairly difficult. One must have an address in the state. So if one owned two homes, one in Oregon and one in California, it would be technically possible to purchase a car in Oregon and pay no sales tax in California.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might want to clear the cashier's check with the seller first. You can cancel a Cashier's Check after it's been issued leaving the seller with no money or car. In many states you can get a three day trip pass to get the car out of the state. Check with Georgia's DMV first. When you're back home you'll need the title or registration to have the car put in your name. That takes 30 days usually so you may need to get a 30 day trip permit for your home state, too.

At my dealership we take Cashier's Checks but don't let the car leave until it clears...