Picked up a new toy....95 Kawasaki zx6

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM
F1 cart racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up a new toy....95 Kawasaki zx6

over the past few weeks i have been looking for bikes through craigslist, and about a few weeks ago i came across this bike and the price has been steadily declining. this past sunday i decided to give the guy a call. when i got there he basically said he needed it gone, he needed the money and had no where to put it for th winter. me and my father went up there and my father drove it, since he has 25+ years ore riding experience then me. the bike was straight, some minor scratches on the side, but nothing major. the motor is strong and the clutch shifts like butter. it's 1995 kawasaki zx6 with 16K on it.

over the winter i'm repainting it black, to get rid of the scratches and some of the fading paint. this weekend i'm going completely through the bike and cleaning it up. hopefully i can get a month of riding in before she has to sit for the winter. all in all i stole the bike for a ridiculous price and pretty stoked. before the grammar police comes in i could have wrote better but i'm burnt out.

now onto the PICS!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
its leaking
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
j/k nice bike.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Congrats! Looks good!

That puddle of oil directly underneath the engine isn't from the bike is it?

Terry
Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by teranfon
Congrats! Looks good!

That puddle of oil directly underneath the engine isn't from the bike is it?

Terry
not oil, just a some wd-40 that i put on the chain/sprocket right there, the linkages were not looking to good. need to get a new chain on it. the guy that had it before me left it outside all summer under a somewhat of a bike cover....thats the only downside to it, so things on it are a little tight. exactly the reason why i'm going through it.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Racer

You'll want to use 90W oil on the chain.....every couple hundred miles, more if you ride in the rain.....nice bike
Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
How much??
Old 09-24-2008, 05:45 AM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
How much??
i got it for $1100.....he started with an asking price of $2400 a few weeks back.

overall i think i got a good deal. the only issues' are like i said chain, i need to take the lower fairings off and clean the inside of them because they are a dirty mess full of dirt and sand. it may need new brakes , the pads and rotors look fine but a rotor may be warped or loose. the only other thing to do to it is fresh paint. the bike is hell of a lot more solid then some other ones i have looked at or seen and they want a lot more for those. as a starter bike i think it's a pretty good deal.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Nice bike.

Is this your first motorcycle?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Nice bike.

Is this your first motorcycle?
yea it is, pretty excited. just need to order a helmet for it. currently i've been using my fathers but i need one of my own, since i'm painting it black i'm going with a black and silver helmet, and black jacket. already got black shoes and gloves.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Great first bike! Mine was a 93 cbr600f2.....
Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AS3.0CL
yea it is, pretty excited. just need to order a helmet for it. currently i've been using my fathers but i need one of my own, since i'm painting it black i'm going with a black and silver helmet, and black jacket. already got black shoes and gloves.
Just be careful and take the MSF course if you haven't already. Remember that bigger bikes like this allow for less margin of error then a smaller and lighter bike would. Oh, and always wear your equipment, even if you're just going for a short errand
Old 09-24-2008, 05:21 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Just be careful and take the MSF course if you haven't already. Remember that bigger bikes like this allow for less margin of error then a smaller and lighter bike would. Oh, and always wear your equipment, even if you're just going for a short errand
already did the MSF course, had to do to to get my license, it's a requirement in RI. i've had my license for about a month or more now. picking up a helmet and a jacket...
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
What's the redline?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
coool. ride safely.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by black label
What's the redline?
14K is redline on the tach. specs out at 100Hp, and 47ft/lbs.

my dad tells me it's slow and no fun for him to ride...if u notice in front of mine is his mint '93 FJ1200 with 12K on it. he's looking to get an FJ1300 also.

thank you all for the comments! for everyone else that rides, ride safely and gear up!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Mmmmmmm 14,000 RPMs
Have fun in the tunnels
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 PM
trill recognize trill

damn nice, in a yr or so im looking to get the current zx6 to add to the family with my 250r
Old 09-24-2008, 11:21 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by yunginTL
damn nice, in a yr or so im looking to get the current zx6 to add to the family with my 250r
i'm repainting it obsidian black during the winter, probably getting the rims repainted also. i'm gonna keep it for all of next year and into my second full season, then depending where i'm at i'll keep or sell it and add an R6 or R1 to the stable. but i got to see because my car will have some good mileage on it and i may want to roll out of it then, considering i'll be done with college, so it could stick around for some time.

250R is a nice bike, congrats! i just know i would get bored with it way to fast

my ex gf just bought a 250R, 1500miles an 08, getting lowered too, she's only 5 foot nothing. she's painting it black also and got pissed when i mentioned i was going to paint mine, saying i was copying her? she's nuts, the reason why i'm not with her.

the 14K tack is very nice, power at 11500, can't wait to get get some experience on it before i start to crack her open. got to respect it. the stock exhaust though is very nice, don't think i'm going to change it because they all go to a single pipe, i like the duals and it's already an aggressive sound.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:57 PM
trill recognize trill

i'm repainting it obsidian black during the winter, probably getting the rims repainted also. i'm gonna keep it for all of next year and into my second full season, then depending where i'm at i'll keep or sell it and add an R6 or R1 to the stable. but i got to see because my car will have some good mileage on it and i may want to roll out of it then, considering i'll be done with college, so it could stick around for some time.

250R is a nice bike, congrats! i just know i would get bored with it way to fast

my ex gf just bought a 250R, 1500miles an 08, getting lowered too, she's only 5 foot nothing. she's painting it black also and got pissed when i mentioned i was going to paint mine, saying i was copying her? she's nuts, the reason why i'm not with her.

the 14K tack is very nice, power at 11500, can't wait to get get some experience on it before i start to crack her open. got to respect it. the stock exhaust though is very nice, don't think i'm going to change it because they all go to a single pipe, i like the duals and it's already an aggressive sound.
the 250r is more enjoyable than i thought, for everyday driving it works for me and it handles realll good. Biggest drawback to me is when im on the highway i could use the extra power but other than that, compared to a 600cc+, you cant even use the power of those machines on the streets legally without getting in trouble for the most part.
I've drove my friends triumph daytona, 675cc special edition, and after drivin that i was glad that i stuck with the 250r to start at least. I no i would be tempted by the power at first, i mean by second gear ur almost at a 100 mph. So im just starting off slow till i get it down and deal with all the fucked up situations that come on the road on a bike.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

the 250r is more enjoyable than i thought, for everyday driving it works for me and it handles realll good. Biggest drawback to me is when im on the highway i could use the extra power but other than that, compared to a 600cc+, you cant even use the power of those machines on the streets legally without getting in trouble for the most part.
to yunginTL....

This is one of the biggest mistakes (IMO) new riders make. They go out and buy a larger bike b/c they think they'd get bored with the smaller bike. The problem is that by starting off on the larger bike, they are not learning to ride correctly for various reasons and it puts them at a disadvantage. Plus, like I and yunginTL said, a smaller bike gives you a better chance to make mistakes and recover verses a larger bike which has a much smaller margin of error. A mistake made on a 250R will get your heart racing and you'll learn your lesson, the same mistake made on a larger bike may put you down. I know I've made 1 or 2 that would have hurt me on a larger bike, but instead nothing happened and it was a learning experience.

I have ridden with several neighbors and friends, all who have larger bikes then me, and I am able to keep up with every single one of them very EASILY. I have also ridden with a few neighbors who started on larger bikes (and still have them), and have been able to outride them despite the fact that they have been riding longer then me. There is a reason a ton of 250R's turn into track bikes after a rider moves onto a bigger street bike.

Now, I'm not saying you fit into any of those categories, it's just what I've noticed while learning to ride, riding with friends, and getting more and more into bikes. Being that you have a parent with a lot of riding experience, you are probably ahead of most beginners, but still, take your time learning and be safe!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 AM
F1 cart racer

i know what both of you are saying....how ever i was looking for something for the long haul. i'm not pushing the bike until i feel comfortable on it. one of my fathers good freinds who also been riding for 30+ years, owns quite a few bikes himself and is my eye doctor recommended an older 600. i get bored of things in a quick manor, at least with this i can take my time on it and slowly experience what the bike has to offer. i've ridden dirt bikes in the past, and my 4 wheeler is a 250 so i know what that feels like. i didn't want to buy new, just in case something would to happen i'd be out 4K and thats something i'm not looking to do if that possibility came up.

i will be riding with some pretty experianced riders also, my god father who is my dads best freind has as much as my father in terms of time on bikes, he's the one that initially wanted me to get one. thanks for all the advice though! ordered the jacket and helmet, hopefully the jacket will be a good fit and i don't need to bump up in size.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
ordered the jacket and helmet, hopefully the jacket will be a good fit and i don't need to bump up in size.
Also gloves, boots and pants. Please wear full gear, and the best gear you can afford.

I've wrecked a few times on and off the track and every time I was able to walk away, thanks in part to safety gear. My recent wreck at the track was a horrendous one, but I walked away. I had to replace all of my gear which is costing me about 1.5k dollars but it is well worth the money. It could mean the difference between dusting off and walking away or a trip to the hospital in the ambulance.

Ride safe out there, man. Watch out for cagers because they just don't see us.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

i've ridden dirt bikes in the past, and my 4 wheeler is a 250 so i know what that feels like.
You almost had me sold until this comment right here.

A Ninja 250r and your 250 quad are not the same. Not even close. So you have no idea what a 250r feels like. The only thing they have in common is that neither is classified as a car.

As for getting bored, another scary comment. You buy a used 250r, ride it for like 6-12 months until you get very comfortable on it and can safely ride near the limits of the bike... then sell it for close or exactly what you paid since they are in very high demand and get a bigger bike. Now I know the 600cc bikes from 1996 aren't nearly as powerful as today's 600cc bikes... but still you probably have a bike which has 30%+ more power then you need to learn on. Plus, the more you reply the more it sounds like you did very little research of your own which is also scary. Just b/c your dad, godfather, and eye doctor are good riders does not mean you will be.

And yes, when you ride you need much more then a jacket and helmet. Like Pure Adrenaline said....gloves, boots and pants are a must. And you need to wear them every time. If it's too hot and you don't feel like wearing pants, then you shouldn't be riding that day. So when the helmet and jacket come, don't hop on that bike just yet b/c you only have about 20% of the gear you need to ride safely.

Good luck, be safe, and buy the rest of that gear...
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Also gloves, boots and pants. Please wear full gear, and the best gear you can afford.

I've wrecked a few times on and off the track and every time I was able to walk away, thanks in part to safety gear. My recent wreck at the track was a horrendous one, but I walked away. I had to replace all of my gear which is costing me about 1.5k dollars but it is well worth the money. It could mean the difference between dusting off and walking away or a trip to the hospital in the ambulance.

Ride safe out there, man. Watch out for cagers because they just don't see us.
already got alpinestar boots, Icon gloves, ordered a full leather with armor AGV sports jacket, and an HJC snell/dot approved helmet. will always have full gear not taking no risks what so ever, my life is to valuable, i got way to much going to throw it away.

i understand people's concerns about riding a motorcycle especially junior beans, i understand the power and respect it. i did do research on bikes, 250r's are in hot demand especially new ones, you can't even find one and the older 250's i have seen has been completely beet up, not something i'm willing to spend a few grand on. i got a lot of things going for me and i do not want to loose it at all. I've never been in a accident or gotten ticket. i want to do this for the experience and the joy of riding. i've seen some complete nuts on the road. i know people, my own cousin, who have been down riding with no gear and they were severely injured. there is a lot more that can go wrong on a bike then a car, but in any car no matter the power it can get you hurt. sometimes it isn't you riding the bike but the other people around you. i got fear of being on it, i know it's capabilities, i don't have a problem saying that.

i appreciate your concern though, for this being a forum people do have a general concern for other peoples safetly, which is one reason why i love this forum.

Last edited by AS3.0CL; 09-25-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 PM
trill recognize trill

what do u do for a living?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:08 PM
F1 cart racer

what do u do for a living?

i go to college full time studying mechanical engineering and i am in my third year, maintaining a fairly high GPA with the plans of going to law school afterwords. i also work full time for a national bank doing loans primarily. i get paid based upon commission and must produce. I've been doing it for 2 years. it was an opportunity i took and has opened up many other doors for me and more in the next few years. i spoil myself occasionally but continue to save for a down payment for a house to buy in the next few years once i graduate. i work for everything i got, and know what the value of hard work is. my day starts at 6am an ends at 1am, pretty much 6 days a week, i do need a day or two for myself to relax. so yes i do have a lot to loose i have a lot of things that are going on. there is only one other person i know my age that works as hard as i do and that's one of my good freinds. can ask why you were wondering?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 PM
trill recognize trill

cuz we are the same age is why i asked, and i was just wondering how u get the cash flow to own a '07 lexus and bike. we got a lot in common, i don't meet too many people my age that are down for hard work, they wanna be spoon fed...
Old 09-26-2008, 05:45 AM
F1 cart racer

cuz we are the same age is why i asked, and i was just wondering how u get the cash flow to own a '07 lexus and bike. we got a lot in common, i don't meet too many people my age that are down for hard work, they wanna be spoon fed...
i saw that you have some extensive modds done to your car. it is true not many people are willing to work. most kids at my college don't work or do anything and complain about stress with school, just really gets under my skin sometimes. cash flow is great, most of my car is paid off, i put a decent lump some down when i purchased it. were steps ahead the next person our age, i want to be set in life at an early age.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:11 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I have to give you guys props.... yungin your TL was always one of my favorites, and there's no way in hell I could afford any new Lexus. I'm the same, school full time and work hard, pay for ALL my stuff, but I just can't afford all the nice things.

Hopefully that changes soon once if I can land a full time better paying job, then I can get myself a used (09+) Ninja 250. I can respect the power too, car in my sig came with no traction control but I've managed to keep it rubber side down so far, I too wanna just learn the limits of the 250 then step up, cause it'll be a looong time before I go crazy with a 600.

At school right now I'm just having a lot of fun and meeting people... just has to do with my major, its interesting to me. But I'm full-time and it takes up a good amount of your days and afterwards I'm tired whether I actually study/work on something or not. I don't know how you guys do it, my car's 2/3 or even 1/3 of your cars and I still can barely afford mods let alone a new bike. Once again, good job to both of you, glad there are people our age that actually have a head on their shoulders
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Racer

AS3.0CL I was glad to see in your post you have some time on dirt bikes. I actually think this is the best way to learn how to ride. Riding on a 6" wide trail and dodging tree branches on wood trails and all the rest you really become one with the motorcycle much quicker and learn how the machine will react in a number of situations you would not normally encounter on the road. You also develop good (fast) hand and foot controls off road I think. Nothing like going down a steep leaf covered trail in the woods to make you learn balance and how to use your engine and brakes to get you to the bottom safely Stay safe and have fun!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Nice bike. I had a 99 ZX-6R
Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice purchase !!

Tis the season for bike buying... Guy next door just picked up an old honda CB. Price always seem to be sweeter in the fall...
Old 09-27-2008, 11:02 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Nice purchase !!

Tis the season for bike buying... Guy next door just picked up an old honda CB. Price always seem to be sweeter in the fall...
my father said that and i'm glad i held out, even though i wish i got to get in an extra two months worth of riding time. great price and solider then other bikes i have looked at.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn i want to pick up a bike...

right now with school + my schedule i can only work 18 hours a week.. which means just enough for rent.. period....

props for doing what you're doing