Per Acura: The TSX's competitors are...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003 | 03:36 PM
What, me drive fast?

"Doesn't the IS300 already get smack around? It's only 215hp with it's VVT-i engine, not even the VVTL-i like the Celica GTS. So what if it has a sport-shift and Lexus badge....it's a four door compact....a glorified Carolla-S "

Ouch...here we go again.
Old 01-15-2003 | 04:24 PM
Pro

Originally posted by damond
Doesn't the IS300 already get smack around? It's only 215hp with it's VVT-i engine, not even the VVTL-i like the Celica GTS. So what if it has a sport-shift and Lexus badge....it's a four door compact....a glorified Carolla-S
No, silly monkey. A certain 4-cyl FWD compact sedan based on a "value" platform is much closer to a glorified "Carolla-S", even under a different marque. Unfortunately, the big red "S" that will soon get slapped on its trunk will bring the comparison that much closer. Does that sound like anything vaguely familiar, hmm?

Walked straight into that one, eh?

An inline-6 RWD compact sport sedan with ~220hp is usually mistaken for a BMW 330i, BTW. We run with them on the track, and more-often-than-not beat them too. :P
Old 01-15-2003 | 04:49 PM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by AcuraFan
The way I see it:
RL = A8, 7 series, etc
TL = A6, 5 series, etc
TSX = A4, 3 series, etc

And I think Acura does a phenominal job competing in those classes and with exceptional value...except the RL. It may be a good car, but it is very outclassed in power and luxury.
hey while your at it dont forget to compare the civic with the 760li and the S600. Oh, maby throw a McLaren F1 in there too, crack addict. the RL cant touch the 7 with a 30 foot pole.
Old 01-15-2003 | 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Python2121
hey while your at it dont forget to compare the civic with the 760li and the S600. Oh, maby throw a McLaren F1 in there too, crack addict. the RL cant touch the 7 with a 30 foot pole.
Hey, settle down there Buckshot. You're acting like I spit in your face or something.

Like I said in another post...obviously, someone who wants a Bimmer isn't going to look at an Acura...if they are in the market for a 330, they aren't going to look at a TSX or a TL. What I'm saying is, that's those comparisons are for the type of car Acura is shooting for.
The RL is a full sized luxury sedan...the A8 and 7 series are full sized luxury sedan.
The TL is a midsized luxury sedan...the A6 and 5 series are midsized luxury sedans.
The TSX is an entry level luxury sedan...the A4 and 3 series are entry level luxury sedans.

If someone says "I want a midsized luxury sedan" Their choices are TL, 5 series, A6, etc...The TL can't touch the others in image but it competes in quality, performance and blows them all away with price.
Old 01-15-2003 | 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AcuraFan
...if someone wants to buy a Bimmer, they aren't going to look at an Acura. But it [TSX] will be an great Bimmer alternative. The car is just as good and costs thousands and thousands less.
If you can't afford a 7 series but want the size and comfort, why not get a RL.
If you can't afford a 5 series...and on down.
Old 01-15-2003 | 05:42 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

No such car as a "4 DOOR SPORT FAMILY SEDAN" ! It ain't a "sports" car, never will be ! The CL was compared to the MB CL320, NOT the MB CL430 - V8 ! The CL is NOT a sports car either, but a 2 coupe is shoooo closer related to a "SPORTY" type of car.....................................than a 4 door family sedan sports car wanna- be ! How many Mom's in their 540's do you see hauling ass with all seats occupied ??????? They don't even know in MOST cases what a V-8 engine is..................FLAME ON !
Old 01-15-2003 | 06:04 PM

If someone says "I want a midsized luxury sedan" Their choices are TL, 5 series, A6, etc...The TL can't touch the others in image but it competes in quality, performance and blows them all away with price.
I am not sure where you have been the last 20 years or so but SIZE of the car has NOTHING to do with it's competition. The TL is LONGER than the A6, 5, E, GS, it has NEVER been in a comparison against them? Why? It is 20k cheaper.

Quality, nope, performance, well acceleration, hell yes, price, you get what you pay for.
No such car as a "4 DOOR SPORT FAMILY SEDAN" ! It ain't a "sports" car, never will be ! The CL was compared to the MB CL320, NOT the MB CL430 - V8 ! The CL is NOT a sports car either, but a 2 coupe is shoooo closer related to a "SPORTY" type of car.....................................than a 4 door family sedan sports car wanna- be ! How many Mom's in their 540's do you see hauling ass with all seats occupied ??????? They don't even know in MOST cases what a V-8 engine is..................FLAME ON !

You know what, I apologize about the CLK thing. Technically speaking, that 55k car is BASED on the 30k C-class platform. So as far as I am concerned.The CL-S is CLK COMPETITION!

Yup, Benz has people fooled with the E-class face but it has C-class underpinnings. So this car should be a 35-45k car but they must be making a KILLING selling each one at MSRP.

Dude, don't ever call the 540 a fake sport sedan. It is the sport sedan all other sport sedans want to be handling and dynamics wise AND it offers a 6-speed manual. C'mon dude.
Old 01-15-2003 | 06:18 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I don't dispute the 540 capabilities, however I NOT going to go sprited driving with 4 passengers in the car ! In my day, there was no such thing as a 4 door 'SPORTS car ! If I going to go sprited driving, go to the track, it will be in a SPORTY TWO DOOR CAR AND most likey BY MY SELF ! I'd love to have a 540, but I don't like 4 door cars......period......
Old 01-15-2003 | 06:24 PM

I don't dispute the 540 capabilities, however I NOT going to go sprited driving with 4 passengers in the car ! In my day, there was no such thing as a 4 door 'SPORTS car ! If I going to go sprited driving, go to the track, it will be in a SPORTY TWO DOOR CAR AND most likey BY MY SELF ! I'd love to have a 540, but I don't like 4 door cars......period......
That is why it's called a sports sedan. TECHNICALLY speaking, most cars are too heavy to be considered sports cars, maybe GTs, but not sports cars.

Trust me, there is nothing like driving around with 4 people in your car in comfort, taking them through the paces with the surprised look on their faces when the ride is over like

"WTF just happened"
Old 01-15-2003 | 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Fabvsix
Your day? Well, I guess your day is over then. The fact that a car has for doors does not make it any less sporty. It may not be a sports car but a sedan can handle and perform like a sports car...hence sports sedan. Just because a car doesn't measure up to your definition of "sport" then I guess you're going to have to get used to it...it's not going away. "...period..."
Old 01-15-2003 | 07:15 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Chill AcuraFan, your cold weather must be getting to you ! Everthing "comes and goes" these days........
Old 01-15-2003 | 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ferizzo
you know why....

wtf?? the honda 4 cyl trannies are BULLET PROOF. may be for the typeS if it get a 6cyl
Old 01-15-2003 | 07:52 PM
Pro

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
wtf?? the honda 4 cyl trannies are BULLET PROOF. may be for the typeS if it get a 6cyl
(Back to a sane discussion.)

Actually, not so in my experience and word-on-the street. I had an Integra the first thing of which to go was the autotranny.

The word on the street as far as I've heard it is that Honda builds world-class manual transmissions with a feel that consistently outshines even specialized tranny builders such as Getrag. Their auto trannies, however, are a little iffy.
Old 01-15-2003 | 07:57 PM

The word on the street as far as I've heard it is that Honda builds world-class manual transmissions with a feel that consistently outshines even specialized tranny builders such as Getrag. Their auto trannies, however, are a little iffy.

It's one thing to read of the countless auto tranny failures, but when your friends have the same problem and they are biatching every day to you about the loaner and being without their car for 30 days, well you get the point.

I think they should have badged it a Honda. 2 have 2 Accords badged Acuras is just cheap to me.
Old 01-15-2003 | 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Fabvsix
Chill AcuraFan, your cold weather must be getting to you ! Everthing "comes and goes" these days........
It's FINALLY getting somewhat cold here...and I'm lovin' it!