Per Acura: The TSX's competitors are...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003 | 09:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Per Acura: The TSX's competitors are...

Last sentence folks:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News

Acura sees the Audi A4, BMW 325i and Lexus IS 300 as the front-drive TSX's competition.
Slicing the near-luxury segment ever finer, Acura Division will introduce the TSX sedan in April.

Based on the Europe-market Honda Accord platform but with a different engine, retuned double wishbone suspension and a redesigned interior, the front-drive TSX will fit between the RSX and 3.2TL in the Acura lineup. It will be priced between $25,000 and $30,000.

The 3.2TL is based on the larger American-market Accord platform.

Although the horsepower rating of the TSX is the same as the RSX Type-S, Acura gave the TSX a larger engine so the power and torque come on strong earlier. Also, the TSX has a choice of a five-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission.

Among the luxury touches the TSX will boast are standard sunroof, leather seats, Xenon headlamps, keyless locks, dual-zone climate control, mirror-mounted turn indicators, six-CD changer with a 360-watt stereo and an LED-backed instrument panel.

The interior also comes in two styles. Customers who want ivory leather will get wood inserts, while those who prefer gray or black interiors will get titanium inserts.

Acura sees the Audi A4, BMW 325i and Lexus IS 300 as its nearest competitors. The TSX will be made in Japan.
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:23 AM
whoXwanXsum

damn, still no word on the type-s huh? i guess i'll just go drive one and see if the power is decent enough...
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:33 AM
still a Masshole

Does it come with the 7 year 100,000 mile extended tranny warranty?
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by ferizzo
No. Why?
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:36 AM
Banned

im glad its made in Japan...hondas made in america seem to suffer some in the build quality department.....grrrrr.......rattles....grrrr.....
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:36 AM
still a Masshole

you know why....
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by dbox
damn, still no word on the type-s huh? i guess i'll just go drive one and see if the power is decent enough...

I am guessing there will be a Type S version and I am guessing it will wear the 240HP 3liter V6 engine from the Accord.

Bear in mind that there is a Type S Accord in Europe which wears this same 2.4 liter engine with the TSX. It makes 190 HP there at 6800 rpm. Toruque is 220 Nm @4500 rpm. So we got the "good one" as a base model. That's promising I think.
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

220 Nm @4500 rpm = 162 lb-ft.
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

I know dealers aren't the first point of contact for new info, but this is what my dealer said:

"There was talk of the TSX Type S, but not lately. My guess is the Type S will be available once the new TL comes out next fall. The TSX Type S is supposed to have 240Hp from what I have heard."
Old 01-14-2003 | 10:59 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by ferizzo
Eventually it will.

With Acura's reasoning, what does the TL compete against then?
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:05 AM
Drifting

"With Acura's reasoning, what does the TL compete against then?"

5 series, A6, S60, E class

Based on size. And that's exactly why I bought the TLS. I needed something larger than my A4 and the TLS outclassed the competition in bang for the buck.
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Rod
With Acura's reasoning, what does the TL compete against then?
The way I see it:
RL = A8, 7 series, etc
TL = A6, 5 series, etc
TSX = A4, 3 series, etc

And I think Acura does a phenominal job competing in those classes and with exceptional value...except the RL. It may be a good car, but it is very outclassed in power and luxury.
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:24 AM
| Infinitely Variable |

Originally posted by gavriil
I am guessing there will be a Type S version and I am guessing it will wear the 240HP 3liter V6 engine from the Accord.

No. That 3 litre v6 you're talking about is manufactured in US. TSX is made in Japan. And unless Honda decided that it will export the engines to Japan, fit it into TSX, and then export the back to USDM, it doesnt make much sense. <and we all know Honda wont export any 3 litre engiens from USDM. that will increase the cost of the car too much..and lower price is honda's strategy...something not possible if you r exporting and re exporting.

You also have to consider that the engine bay was designed specially for an inline 4 since neither japan not Europ get v6 Accords.
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:29 AM
Safety Car

who then are our nearest competitors?
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by AcuraFan
The way I see it:
RL = A8, 7 series, etc
TL = A6, 5 series, etc
TSX = A4, 3 series, etc

And I think Acura does a phenominal job competing in those classes and with exceptional value...except the RL. It may be a good car, but it is very outclassed in power and luxury.
I agree.
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
CLK and C70.
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:32 AM
whoXwanXsum

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
sollara?(spelling)
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think so. I thought I heard somewhere that the TSX will strictly be a I4 machine...no V6s. Besides, putting a 3.0 in a smaller car will ruin handling.

sollara?(spelling)
The Solara is a "competitor" to the Accord Coupe...and not much of one IMO.
Old 01-14-2003 | 12:03 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by hemants
"With Acura's reasoning, what does the TL compete against then?"

5 series, A6, S60, E class

Based on size. And that's exactly why I bought the TLS. I needed something larger than my A4 and the TLS outclassed the competition in bang for the buck.
Originally posted by AcuraFan
The way I see it:
RL = A8, 7 series, etc
TL = A6, 5 series, etc
TSX = A4, 3 series, etc

CLK and C70.
I do agree that CL/TL series are great cars and definitely the best value for the money, but I've never really seen them as serious competition to the A6, 5 series, CLKs and definitely not the E-class. I guess that is the case though since I remember the CL-S got compared many times to the CLK430. I see the CL/TL as upgraded Accords, which I have nothing against, but not as luxury class competitors for some reason.
Old 01-14-2003 | 02:16 PM
Advanced

the new Accord has been described as having a more "euro" feeling than its predecessors. one article i read even said the Accord felt "more German" than the Passat did (which is who Honda had in their cross-hairs). i agree - i've owned just about every gen Accord (except the orignial CVCC HBs) and my 2003 handles tighter (even with the @#$% stock Michelins), rides firmer, and is more vault-like than any other Accord i've owned.

i bet Honda will continue this design thinking with the next gen TL/CL making them even more wicked competition for the A6 / 5 series / E class rivals. if the new Accord is this good, i'm sure that its Acura cousins will be that much better.
Old 01-14-2003 | 02:40 PM
Instructor

Sounds Great

Pretty good car, but a few things bother me about it.

1. 25K-30K??? Are those the official numbers or a rough estimate?
If not 30K for a 200HP car is kinda high. But then again the IS is just as much with only a little more power.

2. Audi A4, BMW 325i and Lexus IS 300. Wouldn't the G35 Sedan be considered in this class as well since it competes with the IS300, and the fact that it's an entry level luxury sedan?

I guess the TSX's strong point is it's list of standard features and a very well laid out interior for it's price. But it's exterior styling and 200HP engine are not enough to compete in this segment IMO. But I'll reserve judgment until I see it in person with an OEM body kit. Other than that I can't think of a better all around deal for 25K.

[OFF TOPIC]
Now my choices have been made even harder

Should I just get a nice reliable car with enough power for daily driving for less: TSX = 25K, Accord Coupe V6 6spd

or

Should I get a good looking and fast reliable daily driver with low maintenance cost

2K3 Maxima 6spd, G35C 6spd, G35S-6spd, Acura-CLS 6sd, 32k - 35k

Old 01-14-2003 | 03:06 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

the tsx is reported to start at 24,600

Heres what Acura is trying to do....since they have established the tsx as a competitor for the entry level german cars, they are obviously going to push the next gen tl more upmarket....W/the current gen TL, acura mentions its as big as the 5series, A6 etc., but does not really go head to head w/them...however, it seems as if Acura is going to go at them harder this time around
Old 01-14-2003 | 03:15 PM
__

Re: Sounds Great

Originally posted by Habiib
Pretty good car, but a few things bother me about it.

1. 25K-30K??? Are those the official numbers or a rough estimate?
If not 30K for a 200HP car is kinda high. But then again the IS is just as much with only a little more power.
Go check the hp numbers of an A4 1.8T and 325i...then check the price....
Old 01-14-2003 | 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Sounds Great

Originally posted by Zoot
Good point. I've heard plenty of people complaining the TSX is underpowered. However, the TSX outpowers the A4 1.8T and 325. And I'm sure the TSX Type S will come in higher than the A4 3.0 and the 330. I bet the performace will be more than on par. For thousands and thousands less.

The TSX will be fun.
Old 01-14-2003 | 03:52 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Sounds Great

Originally posted by Zoot

Audi A4
170HP FWD 1.8T 24K
220HP FWD 3.0L 31K

Source: Edmunds

BMW 325i
184HP RWD 2.5L - 28K

Source: Edmunds

Infiniti G35S
260HP RWD 3.5L - 27K

Source Edmunds

Lexus IS300

215HP RWD 3.0L - 29K

I do believe these are all base prices, so I'm not too familiar with the standard equipment that comes with each. But I will go out on the limb and say that the TSX offers more standard equipment. So the A4 1.8T and 325i are really pricey relative to the HP that they offer. I stand corrected.
Old 01-14-2003 | 04:19 PM

Acura sees the Audi A4, BMW 325i and Lexus IS 300 as the front-drive TSX's competition.
Acura has a lot of balls saying that crap. All these cars at least offer AWD or RWD and 6 cylinder engines. The TSX is under these cars, PERIOD. It is ANOTHER HONDA ACCORD, get over it.

The focking TL is these cars competiton, barely, as that is FWD. Quite frankly, Acura makes good cars but AVOIDS direct competition.
The way I see it:
RL = A8, 7 series, etc,
TL = A6, 5 series, etc
TSX = A4, 3 series, etc
Hotdamn put up the CRACK. You are sh!tting me. The RL can't compete with a Lincoln LS let alone a A8, 7 series, these cars cost TWICE as much, are you on dope. WHO THE FOCK cross shops a RL with an A8 and 7??? NO ONE.

Tl competes with itself. It really is it's own niche. Fast FWD semi-luxury car. It is faster than an ES 300 but not as luxurious, faster than an IS 300 but not as sporty. Kinda of both worlds.

I do agree that CL/TL series are great cars and definitely the best value for the money, but I've never really seen them as serious competition to the A6, 5 series, CLKs and definitely not the E-class. I guess that is the case though since I remember the CL-S got compared many times to the CLK430. I see the CL/TL as upgraded Accords, which I have nothing against, but not as luxury class competitors for some reason.
I have NEVER seen a CLK 430 vs CL-S comparo, sorry.

This is nuts.
Old 01-14-2003 | 04:25 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

1SICKLEX,
heh.....don't feel bad that the is300 is just gonna get smack around......once again by a car that's cheaper and offers more.
Old 01-14-2003 | 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura has a lot of balls saying that crap. All these cars at least offer AWD or RWD and 6 cylinder engines. The TSX is under these cars, PERIOD. It is ANOTHER HONDA ACCORD, get over it.
I wouldn't say that. Honda positioned the Euro Accord (TSX) to compete with the 3 series IN GERMANY. And you know what? It seems to be working. I've been seeing great European reviews for the car.
To say the TSX will be sales competition for the 3 series might be a little misleading...if someone wants to buy a Bimmer, they aren't going to look at an Acura. But it will be an great Bimmer alternative. The car is just as good and costs thousands and thousands less.
The fact is, we like a car that you don't...to that I say "get over it."
Old 01-14-2003 | 04:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

There we go again.

Why do you guys makes things complicated?

There are only 3 factors involved here.

1. Benefit (keep tastes constant here)
2. Price
3. Character

When we say the CLS competes with the CLK, or when we (together with Acura) say the TSX competes with the A4 or the 325, we mean that on a CHARACTER basis.

From here on, the other 2 factors are taking place in the equation.

If you chose the CLK, you get more benefit than if you chose the CLS. Period, everyone agrees. BUT, it happens so, that you pay more money (PRICE factor). And vice versa.

Simple. And the sad thing is that everyone agrees on the above, it is just that we are saying it a different way.
Old 01-14-2003 | 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Zapata
1SICKLEX,
heh.....don't feel bad that the is300 is just gonna get smack around......once again by a car that's cheaper and offers more.
I would say, buy a car that appeals to you. If the TSX doesn't appeal to 1SICKLEX, that's great...don't buy it. To others, it is appealing...and that's who the car was created for.
Old 01-14-2003 | 05:02 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

One sentence....if you can't get anything bigger than 215 sized tires, it can't compete as a sports sedan!

'nuff said.
Old 01-14-2003 | 05:11 PM
Rod
Drifting

I have NEVER seen a CLK 430 vs CL-S comparo, sorry.

This is nuts.
They were compared a lot when the CL-S first came out, and yes, I found it a bit ridiculous at the time too. They were never full-length articles comparing the two, but they were compared frequently.
Old 01-14-2003 | 06:00 PM
__

Tl competes with itself. It really is it's own niche. Fast FWD semi-luxury car. It is faster than an ES 300 but not as luxurious, faster than an IS 300 but not as sporty. Kinda of both worlds.
What are you talking about? The TL is in a niche! It's the entry level mid-size FWD luxury niche! The TL directly competes w/ the I35, Millenia (not anymore!) and as much as you hate to admit it, the ES300. I know it must be painful for you to realize that an Acura actually competes with a Lexus. The ES is more luxurious? Barely! It has softer leather, a more prestigous name and is 5k more. That's why I bought a TL. I am not trying to start a fight, but why are you here? It's great that we have a diverse number of car owners, but all of your posts seem to put down acura and pat Lexus on the back. Please stop being such a snot.

And btw, the A4 comes in fwd also...
Old 01-14-2003 | 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

what about the upcoming Lancer Evo, and the new Mazda 6?
I think that these two vehicles are closer matched competitors than Audi's BMW's Lexus's.

But that's what Honda wants you to think. So they can uphold the upscale image of the TSX.
Old 01-14-2003 | 06:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Rod
They were compared a lot when the CL-S first came out, and yes, I found it a bit ridiculous at the time too. They were never full-length articles comparing the two, but they were compared frequently.
Wasn't the CL-S in a Luxury Coupe Comparison on Edmunds? And if I remember correctly, the CLK430 was one of the cars being compared. I think the CL-S came in last place and the BMW330 coupe was the winner.
Old 01-14-2003 | 11:17 PM

What are you talking about? The TL is in a niche! It's the entry level mid-size FWD luxury niche! The TL directly competes w/ the I35, Millenia (not anymore!) and as much as you hate to admit it, the ES300. I know it must be painful for you to realize that an Acura actually competes with a Lexus
Zoot, if you think the ES 300 is barely more luxurious than a TL, your blind. I think the TL created it's own niche by making a entry-level luxury, sporty sedan. It's never won any sports sedan comparos and it's never won any luxury comparos. But for 30k, what a price.

BTW, Shyne just got into a serious accident when his tranny in his Tl broke while we was cruising on highway and it caused a major accident involving several cars.
Old 01-15-2003 | 12:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Zapata
1SICKLEX,
That's a whole lot of riceboy-ish wishful thinking.

"FwD rUlZ aLl U rWd DyNoSaUrS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 01-15-2003 | 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the TL created it's own niche by making a entry-level luxury, sporty sedan. It's never won any sports sedan comparos and it's never won any luxury comparos. But for 30k, what a price.

the tl's niche must be a pretty big niche then.

i'd include the s60, i35, g35, 9-3, 3-series, cts, is300, a4, etc. etc. etc.
among entry level luxury sporty sedans. none of them are true sports cars, all of them are entry level luxury (near lux), and all of them sedans.

the tl-s won edmund's 2001 entry level luxury sports sedan comparison test. I don't have the address and don't feel like finiding it.

that's just one comparison that comes to mind. there are several others that i remember readning that the tl ranking between 1st and 3rd, but i don't have the articles in front of me.
Old 01-15-2003 | 01:57 PM
Pro

So......the TSX is a four door RSX...like the four door Integras back in the day??

So....the "T" in TSX would stand for Touring?
Old 01-15-2003 | 02:02 PM
Pro

Originally posted by DtEW
That's a whole lot of riceboy-ish wishful thinking.

"FwD rUlZ aLl U rWd DyNoSaUrS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Doesn't the IS300 already get smack around? It's only 215hp with it's VVT-i engine, not even the VVTL-i like the Celica GTS. So what if it has a sport-shift and Lexus badge....it's a four door compact....a glorified Carolla-S

Quick Reply: Per Acura: The TSX's competitors are...